• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a curious development, was Professor Layton just leaked for Smash 4 DLC? [Rumor]

jph139

That depends on how Sakurai views indie characters (as the trophies could have easily been a request of NoA). But let's be honest, who knows at this point? Surely not us.

Honestly I don't think either of those characters have much of a shot just because, well, 95% of people have no idea who they are. But Layton would definitely lower the bar from "iconic, decades-old Mount Rushmore of gaming" types considerably.

...though I can't really think of many other mid-tier characters on Layton's level that still feel "right" for Smash.

That depends on how Sakurai views indie characters (as the trophies could have easily been a request of NoA). But let's be honest, who knows at this point? Surely not us.
I still think a Shovel Knight and a Shantae trophy along with maybe a remix for both would be a nice way to appease people who want those characters.

Didn't Yacht Club Games say they had some big news to announce sometime this year with Nintendo? They probably just mean some Nintendo stuff in SK due to the Battle Toads/Kratos cameos in the other versions, but the possibility for a quick Smash callout is still there. The Rayman (I know he's not indie, but his appearance was still a surprise) and Commander Video trophies I thought were a nice touch.

JeTmAn81

I would freak out for Layton. His games are very popular and he's probably one of the biggest third-party Nintendo exclusive characters that isn't in Smash. I'd have to actually buy him despite not really playing Smash anymore.

Neoxon

I still think a Shovel Knight and a Shantae trophy along with maybe a remix for both would be a nice way to appease people who want those characters.

Didn't Yacht Club Games say they had some big news to announce sometime this year with Nintendo? They probably just mean some Nintendo stuff in SK due to the Battle Toads/Kratos cameos in the other versions, but the possibility for a quick Smash callout is still there. The Rayman (I know he's not indie, but his appearance was still a surprise) and Commander Video trophies I thought were a nice touch.
That's most likely the case.

Watch it be an assist trophy.
I thought about that. Have they ever patched in assists trophies?
I don't think they've ever added Assist Trophies as DLC. Though on the topic of Assist Trophies, the lack of a Chun-Li Assist Trophy alongside the release of Ryu was a huge missed opportunity on Sakurai's part (more so since Laura Bailey is already on their payroll via Lucina).

Parshias7

The Commander Video trophy got put in the game because the devs essentially bugged Nintendo about it until they said OK. I don't think indie games are really on Sakurai's radar, so unless the devs are doing their own outreach to Nintendo I wouldn't expect any indie stuff.

If Layton is being added to Smash 4 as DLC it's playable character or nothing, there is literally zero reason they'd add a Layton stage or a stage Layton would appear in for some reason. Also why would they randomly add a 3rd party character from a new company as an assist trophy as DLC? Unless Layton assist was part of another Level 5 playable character package (Youkai watch character maybe) that makes very little sense.

Hatchtag

Banned
I can see this happening and would probably really like it.
But if we're getting less-major third parties for Smash Bros, Travis Touchdown next please.

Griss

Would be a terrible choice if true. Come on, there are so many more deserving candidates, you know, ones who actually... fight.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Would be a terrible choice if true. Come on, there are so many more deserving candidates, you know, ones who actually... fight.
Fucking Captain Falcon should be removed from the game.

And Villager.

And Wii Fit Trainer.

Also Dr. Mario. He's not even a real doctor!

SalvaPot

Back in July a troll edited the IMDB page for Smash 4 to include Layton's voice actor on it. Some people tweeted him, but he replied it was fake and he wasn't in the game.

But today he tweets those same questions back again saying he is in Smash after a recent recording.

BSbrxL2.jpg

He's removed the tweet and put his account to verified followers only.

I´ll love Layton, but I won´t read to much into this, sounds like he meant he acted for the game but not as Layton. What other voices does he make?

I think it's kind of shitty to go onto Twitter and try to trick voice actors into revealing info that they might not realize is NDAed.

Most of my favorite Smash characters like Wii Fit Trainer or Villager weren't fighters.

I think putting that as an artificial limitation is about the dumbest thing you could do to the series.

My wishlist for Smash 4:

1) Professor Layton with the most amazing moveset ever.
2) A bunch of supporting characters from Nintendo Games which are not Ridley, Palutena or King K Rool.

My wishlist:

1) Prof. Layton
2) Cooking Mama
3) Phoenix Wright
4) Soma Cruz
5) Isaac

All of them would be totally crazy but I still have hope that at least one of the top 3 makes it.

I still have hope for Professor Layton and Cooking Mama to be playable.

wat

I almost never have asked for a Street Fighter rep because I thought it was too crazy and would never happen. This Smash Bros is TOO good.

This is great! This is good. Layton's a good dude. Now, they should add Wolf.

Phoenix Wright and Travis Touchdown would also really be cool for third party reps. But, Wolf.

If it's true, anyway. And if that's the case, than poor Sakurai. So many leaks!

Yeah I can just imagine.

"All right! No leftover files for hackers to data mine. The few who know are being super tight lipped. Yeah, no early leaks this time... Wait what do you mean the English voice actor accidentally spilled the beans? GOD DAMMIT!"

For those thinking he's being sarcastic, it's entirely possible the guy didn't know how revered the Smash series is and didn't realize he let a big surprise out which is why he quickly removed the tweet. If he was being sarcastic, he wouldn't need to remove anything.

Top Bottom