• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In a curious development, was Professor Layton just leaked for Smash 4 DLC? [Rumor]

batfax

Now that I think about it, are there even any regular Layton projects coming up? And if I remember, supposedly the last game featuring Layton as the star was set to be Azran Legacy. If not Smash, maybe the big reveal was that Layton himself was reappearing in something at all.

Forkball

tumblr_ljy4s9u4ik1qcpc4xo1_500.jpg

I think it's pretty safe to say Wolf is coming around the time of Star Fox Zero, so it wouldn't be surprising to see someone else. Close to Mewtwo's release, they announced Lucas out of nowhere. And on the day prior to Lucas coming out, they announced Roy and Ryu. I can see them continuing the trend with the next DLC update. I think adding third party characters as DLC is better than putting in someone like the Inklings or K. Rool, because third party characters can easily be tossed aside in the next iteration where they need to save Nintendo characters to make the new version more appealing.

Dr. Buni

Really odd choice if this is all true. Professor Layton isn't quite on the same level as Pac-Man, Sonic or Ryu as far as impact or popularity goes.
Well, there are a lot of first party characters in Smash who aren't on the level of Mario, Link, Samus, Kirby, DK and Pikachu, too. Time for "lesser" third parties to shine, if the rumor is true.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
First, the Shovel Knight amiibo, now this? How many crazy rumours we need to witness.

Dr. Buni

Nintendo needs to make more NEW IPs with the intention of lasting future appeal. Not just lets put Mario, Samus, Kirby into random game to make it sell.
I mean, they already have a few IPs not represented in Smash, like Splatoon, The Wonderful 101, Chibi Robo, Advance Wars, Code Name Steam, not to mention old/forgotten IPs like The Mysterious Murasame Castle. So there are plenty of material for newcomers for Smash 5.

redcrayon

Eh, Wright is better but I'd take Layton over most choices except an indie character.

Just seems kinda odd considering the franchise is dead and Yokai Watch makes moe sense at this point. Then again, if Nintendo asks for anyone, everyone not named Konami would immiediatly say yes lol.

I'm all for it just for more third parties since I feel first parties have been exhausted of all major choices except for Ridley, KRool, and Dixie. With the first two seemingly having no chance.

Wonder if theres a plan to revive the series or maybe Nintendo buying it. Still need to play the 3DS games.
I'd be very surprised if we didn't see Layton again. The six main games are all very similar but high quality, and he just needs a bit of a rest and a new angle on it. I used to love the daily downloadable puzzles, that was a great idea.

I mean, they already have a few IPs not represented in Smash, like Splatoon, The Wonderful 101, Chibi Robo, Advance Wars, Code Name Steam, not to mention old/forgotten IPs like The Mysterious Murasame Castle. So there are plenty of material for newcomers for Smash 5.
Is S.T.E.A.M. a series we're likely to see Nintendo trying to push much after it's reception? I genuinely have no idea how it did but anecdotally people seemed quite distant towards it.

Shovel Knight Amiibo? WUT?

Was confirmed fake by Yacht Club Games, but that they would love it to be real one day

Is S.T.E.A.M. a series we're likely to see Nintendo trying to push much after it's reception? I genuinely have no idea how it did but anecdotally people seemed quite distant towards it.

Codename S.T.E.A.M. is already in the dumpster pile to probably never be seen again along with Geist and soon to be Devil's Third

Dr. Buni

I don't think Steam have any future (sadly, it is a much better game than FE Awakening, the other strategy game IS developed for the 3DS)... But who knows? :) Henry being playable in SSB5 would boost the sales of an eventual Steam 2, for sure. But at any rate, at least Inkling and Wonder Red I think will be in Smash 5 for sure.

I don't think Steam have any future (sadly, it is a much better game than FE Awakening, the other strategy game IS developed for the 3DS)... But who knows? :) Henry being playable in SSB5 would boost the sales of an eventual Steam 2, for sure. But at any rate, at least Inkling and Wonder Red I think will be in Smash 5 for sure.

Inkling for sure, W101 was a huge bomb though I doubt we'll see them playable in Smash unless Sakurai has a big passion for the franchise and Nintendo plans to give them another push post Smash 5 pumping their popularity.

Inkling for sure, W101 was a huge bomb though I doubt we'll see them playable in Smash unless Sakurai has a big passion for the franchise and Nintendo plans to give them another push post Smash 5 pumping their popularity.
By this point, I'm just expecting a wonder mask for mii fighters.

Dr. Buni

I know it bombed, but I think Wonder Red will be in Smash 5 still. I have no arguments to support him, it is just a feeling really. I am more interested on the Inklings.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I know it bombed, but I think Wonder Red will be in Smash 5 still. I have no arguments to support him, it is just a feeling really. I am more interested on the Inklings.

Yeah, I have almost same feeling for Wonder Red. I wonder why? I wonder if it's because of how many trophies Smash 4 got from Wonderful 101.

Haganeren

To be honest, i don't really see how Wonder Red could be in Smash 4. The whole appeal of the game is about having a lot of heroes creating very huge sword/punch/whatever. You obviously can't do that in Smash because Wonder Red would have to be very tiny in order to have a sword/punch/whatever at a reasonable scale for other characters.

You could retort the giant sword/punch/whatever would be only for the final Smash and before that it would be Wonder Red alone doing stuff.... But i really don't agree... What Wonder Red can do alone ? It's not the philosophy of the game ! Do you really think it would be representative of Wonderful 101 ? The fact it should be representative of a game is one of the priority of Sakurai (unless it's a stupid clone because the character is done at the end of the development... .Yeah i'm talking to you Ganondorf)

I don't think Wonderful 101 will be represented in Smash 4/5, not because of the lack of popularity of the game but because the concept of the game can't been adapted in Smash like Villager or even Layton.

SERIOUSLY.... please no more sword fighters... like PLEASE!

Well... He is a sword user, you can't really remade what he is because there is so much sword fighter in Smash... At least he can use a lot of other stuff like the Gatling Gun but sword need to be one of his attack in order to make him like the Layton game.

... But i really don't think Layton will be in Smash... Even if it would be cool.

Fandangox

Yeah, I have almost same feeling for Wonder Red. I wonder why? I wonder if it's because of how many trophies Smash 4 got from Wonderful 101.

I highly doubt it will be in Smash 5 if its not added as DLC for 4. Plus it got 7 trophies just to have trophies of all main characters from W101.

VegiHam

Well this is amazing if true. Layton is a third party character synonymous with the DS; truly a modern great. Here's a section of NoEs website where they have 'hubs' for various popular Nintendo characters. Your first three are Mario, Zelda and Pokemon; but right after them? Layton. Then Kirby, Metriod and Donkey Kong.

In Europe at least, Layton was huge. For a younger crowd, and especially amongst female gamers here, he's probably more recognisable than Mega Man or Ryu.

I mean this could all be nothing but if it isn't that's an excellent addition.

Dr. Buni

To be honest, i don't really see how Wonder Red could be in Smash 4. The whole appeal of the game is about having a lot of heroes creating very huge sword/punch/whatever. You obviously can't do that in Smash because Wonder Red would have to be very tiny in order to have a sword/punch/whatever at a reasonable scale for other characters.

You could retort the giant sword/punch/whatever would be only for the final Smash and before that it would be Wonder Red alone doing stuff.... But i really don't agree... What Wonder Red can do alone ? It's not the philosophy of the game ! Do you really think it would be representative of Wonderful 101 ? The fact it should be representative of a game is one of the priority of Sakurai (unless it's a stupid clone because the character is done at the end of the development... .Yeah i'm talking to you Ganondorf)

I don't think Wonderful 101 will be represented in Smash 4/5, not because of the lack of popularity of the game but because the concept of the game can't been adapted in Smash like Villager or even Layton.
I mean, the Smash development team managed to represent the unorthodox Duck Hunt, Pikmin and Animal Crossing IPs flawlessly, I am sure they would/will find a way to represent Wonderful 101 as well. Maybe the playable character would/will not be Wonder Red, but a team of Wonder Red, Blue and Pink? Since they would be playable only Smash 5, there would be no 3DS limitation messing up with how the character should function. Or the character could work more or less like Doronjo in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: https://youtu.be/6IlsFeQl5Mc?t=58s ?

Splatoon is also a tricky game to represent in Smash, due to its unique mechanics, but I don't think that will stop Inkling from be playable in the next installment (or even in Smash 4 as a DLC).

LAA

Damn it. Mii costume. I hoped layton would have been a character simply because I think he deserves to be one. Better than nothing I suppose.
Ace Attorney is something else I want there but if layton isn't going to be a character I guess PW won't. Only other one I would have liked, but knew it's 99% not going to happen is Sora as a character, because I would simply like it and I think KH has gave Nintendo exclusive games over the years, though I suppose with KH3 coming and Nintendo not getting it doesn't make sense, but you can say the same for Ryu.

Neoxon

Damn it. Mii costume. I hoped layton would have been a character simply because I think he deserves to be one. Better than nothing I suppose.
Ace Attorney is something else I want there but if layton isn't going to be a character I guess PW won't. Only other one I would have liked, but knew it's 99% not going to happen is Sora as a character, because I would simply like it and I think KH has gave Nintendo exclusive games over the years, though I suppose with KH3 coming and Nintendo not getting it doesn't make sense, but you can say the same for Ryu.
They don't get voices for Mii Costumes. Plus Mii Costumes =/= Can't Be Their Own Character

LAA

They don't get voices for Mii Costumes. Plus Mii Costumes =/= Can't Be Their Own Character

Well they represent the character sure, but the character wouldn't have a moveset tailor made for the character based on the series he comes from.

Neoxon

Well they represent the character sure, but the character wouldn't have a moveset tailor made for the character based on the series he comes from.
But even then, why would they get a voice actor for a Mii Costume? That's just wasted effort. Where did you even hear the Mii Costume thing from?

Afrer playing that puke inducing game called "Professor Layton X Phoenix Wright" my only purpose is to punch that giant headed weirdo until he stops with the gentleman bullshit and shows his true nature, considering he doesn't help Phoenix during the game and actually tries to get innocent people burned. He doesn't even deserve a quick death, I should probably just take him to 400% with Dr. Mario's pills and then kill him with a taunt or something.

Splatoon is also a tricky game to represent in Smash, due to its unique mechanics, but I don't think that will stop Inkling from be playable in the next installment (or even in Smash 4 as a DLC).

I think it's quite a lot less tricky than W101, though - give the Inklings standard attacks based on their armoury of guns/brushes etc. (which also lets you easily and visually represent the difference in damage/reach based on the weapon used for each move), incorporate their transformation in their movement (turn into Squid form for dashes etc.) and something like the Final Smash can be lifted from either one of the power moves in Splatoon (Inkstrike, Inkzooka etc.) or tied in to the idea of a team of Inklings, with them appearing to cause 4-player Inkling havoc. You could also have their Inkling's weapons slowly ink the stage, causing slowdowns for players snared in the ink, adding another little conceptual hook to their game.

I think W101 is a tougher one given that the game is about hundreds of individuals/heroes teaming up, and that's a tougher thing to represent with a single player character. I'd compare it most closely to something like Pikmin, and I'd look to Olimar for an example of how you could translate Wonder Red into Smash. Even there, though, I think Pikmin lends itself more to being just Olimar + a few Pikmin as a fighter, where Wonder Red is pretty much always teamed with tens of others.

Haganeren

I mean, the Smash development team managed to represent the unorthodox Duck Hunt, Pikmin and Animal Crossing IPs flawlessly, I am sure they would/will find a way to represent Wonderful 101 as well. Maybe the playable character would/will not be Wonder Red, but a team of Wonder Red, Blue and Pink? Since they would be playable only Smash 5, there would be no 3DS limitation messing up with how the character should function. Or the character could work more or less like Doronjo in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: https://youtu.be/6IlsFeQl5Mc?t=58s ?

Sorry i didn't really understood how Doronjo worked from the video but i guess a team of several character would be the best indeed. Or having the character model change depending of the attack used. But even with that, the *real* gimmick of the character (gigantic weapon with a lot of heroes) isn't really emulated (I still don't think the Ball Smash count), so it's still worse than Duck Hunt Duo or Animal Crossing.

But hey, like you seemed to imply, we don't really know if Sakurai will have a great idea for him or not... But to be honest, it really seems to be too much trouble for one character.... And not even a very popular one....

Hummm.... Not that tricky in my opinion. I mean you can "die" in splatoon by taking ink damage so i don't think there is that much issue at being ejected from ink.

Dr. Buni

I think it's quite a lot less tricky than W101, though - give the Inklings standard attacks based on their armoury of guns/brushes etc. (which also lets you easily and visually represent the difference in damage/reach based on the weapon used for each move), incorporate their transformation in their movement (turn into Squid form for dashes etc.) and something like the Final Smash can be lifted from either one of the power moves in Splatoon (Inkstrike, Inkzooka etc.) or tied in to the idea of a team of Inklings, with them appearing to cause 4-player Inkling havoc. You could also have their Inkling's weapons slowly ink the stage, causing slowdowns for players snared in the ink, adding another little conceptual hook to their game.

I think W101 is a tougher one given that the game is about hundreds of individuals/heroes teaming up, and that's a tougher thing to represent with a single player character. I'd compare it most closely to something like Pikmin, and I'd look to Olimar for an example of how you could translate Wonder Red into Smash. Even there, though, I think Pikmin lends itself more to being just Olimar + a few Pikmin as a fighter, where Wonder Red is pretty much always teamed with tens of others.
I think the ink limitation the Inklings have in Splatoon should be implemented in Smash in some sort. They can't just spam ink all the time without recharging, which is why I think the character is tricky to adapt to Smash, although you are absolutely right about Inkling not being nearly as complicated as a Wonderful 101 character would be.

My point is that while tricky, there are ways to represent The Wonderful 101 in Smash with a playable character. The Smash development team have showed plenty of times they are very creative when adapting characters from "unorthodox" franchises to Smash. So I think that if The Wonderful 101 isn't represented in Smash 5, it will be because Nintendo/Sakurai thought it wasn't worth the trouble (considering the game's poor sales).

Edit:

Sorry i didn't really understood how Doronjo worked from the video but i guess a team of several character would be the best indeed. Or having the character model change depending of the attack used. But even with that, the *real* gimmick of the character (gigantic weapon with a lot of heroes) isn't really emulated (I still don't think the Ball Smash count), so it's still worse than Duck Hunt Duo or Animal Crossing.

But hey, like you seemed to imply, we don't really know if Sakurai will have a great idea for him or not... But to be honest, it really seems to be too much trouble for one character.... And not even a very popular one....
Doronjo is basically a team fighter composed of three characters, the woman (who is the "main" character) with her two lackeys.

The gimmick of giant weapons can be emulated by allowing Wonder Red (or if we go with the idea of the character model changing depending of the attack used, Wonder Blue or Pink) to use the other two Wonders to form a bigger attack. For example, let's call the character "Wonder Team". Wonder Team's side B is a quick sword attack used by Wonder Red, but if you choose to hold the button, Wonder Red summons Wonder Blue and Pink and they morph in a bigger sword. The same would be valid for all other special attacks. While not present in the fight, the two extra Wonders could stand in the background, like the Pokémon Trainer back in Brawl.

Just a few ideas I have, but I am sure the Smash team could do a lot better than that, should they want to represent the IP. The issue here is: Would they want to go through all this trouble to represent a game that sold poorly? Which brings the question, did the original Pikmin sell well or did it bomb? Not that it matters much since it is a Miyamoto IP/in-house-developed game, unlike TW101.

Crayolan

In W101 a single wonderful one is in control of the other 100 at any given time. Though each wonderful one specializes in a certain skill, they could just give Wonder Red all the skills and only have the others appear when Red uses Wonder Punch/Sword/etc.

It's not entirely accurate to the games but neither is Ness using Paula's skills or Dedede being larger than the entire rest of the cast.

3rd party characters so far have been icons but who really knows with Sakurai. I don't really buy this rumour yet but Level-5 has a really good relationship with Nintendo. Layton would make sense over a Yokai Watch character due to familiarity even though the latter would be a better idea for marketing.

I think the ink limitation the Inklings have in Splatoon should be implemented in Smash in some sort. They can't just spam ink all the time without recharging, which is why I think the character is tricky to adapt to Smash, although you are absolutely right about Inkling not being nearly as complicated as a Wonderful 101 character would be.

My point is that while tricky, there are ways to represent The Wonderful 101 in Smash with a playable character. The Smash development team have showed plenty of times they are very creative when adapting characters from "unorthodox" franchises to Smash. So I think that if The Wonderful 101 isn't represented in Smash 5, it will be because Nintendo/Sakurai thought it wasn't worth the trouble (considering the game's poor sales).

Yeah, I think those are fair points. The ink limitation would definitely need to be in there - it's a crucial part of Splatoon, and translated thoughtfully to Smash it would make for an interesting fighter mechanic.

Trophy at best I'd say. While its global figures are above Captain Rainbow you just have to look at the UK situation. Here is the Amazon UK price history:
http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Nintendo-CTRPAY6E-Code-Name-S-T-E-A-M/product/B00PDRZG9U
Now so far it estimated that it has failed to sell 1000 copies in a given week despite practically being given away at this point.

Yes the UK is a pretty small market especially as this time of year but it is just sad how tragic it is. Reminds me how Jam with the Band had a similar fate.

Neoxon

Wright is already in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, plus three Capcom reps would be overkill. :p
So's Ryu

That being said, let's go down the list of Nintendo's third party buddies.

• Sega (Sonic)
  • Capcom (Mega Man, Ryu)
  • Bandai Namco (Pac-Man)
  • Level-5 (Professor Layton?)
  • Altus
  • Square-Enix

LAA

But even then, why would they get a voice actor for a Mii Costume? That's just wasted effort. Where did you even hear the Mii Costume thing from?

Who knows? I thought it was that Nintendo of florida tweet? Saying it was a mii costume?

EDIT: Ah apparently it was a fan account. There's hope then!

Top Bottom