• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In retrospect, Macklemore is the only rapper with something to say

Status
Not open for further replies.
I specifically remember TitusGroan beeing a fierce Nintendo defender who made long and informative posts about many different subjects.

Labeling him as an astroturfer/ as a Microsoft chill is just not true...from my experience.

I hope his ban is just temporary, he made great points all the time.

Neiteio

Yeah, great idea to ask for people to be more respectful to one another after calling them "fools."
I never said the OP did it well. Although I suspect the "fools" bit was meant to be playful. Same for those movie stills. (Not sure what film they're from)

Hawk269

Why was the thread title changed to what it currently is though? And isn't a mod the only ones that can change thread titles?

L Thammy

Quoted for visibility.

Will anything be done about this? Or will this just be forgotten in a couple hours?

My guess is that it's being discussed, albeit not in this thread. If the mods end up finding reason to believe TidusGroan is an astroturfer, they will post again to explain. If they do not, they will post an apology and perhaps unban (unperma?) him.

gngf123

Huh had thought we'd finally got past MS astroturfers. Disappointing to see to be honest

Spencer basically confirming Tomb Raider's timed exclusivity made me think MS was going to try a more honest approach all around, oh well :\

This guy wasn't an astroturfer after all.

At least, that's what it looks like right now.

Wereroku

Ehhh his company doesn't do PR it seems but his other thread was just as pr seeming. Link. I mean he might not have been being paid to do this but his last few posts and the threads of his seemed a little off.

Gestault

I don't know about OP but this does make sense. It's about blending in, being one of us, then at some point you start with the PR posts. A lot less suspicious than a fresh new guy with 5 posts and already advertising the greatest all-in-one entertainment system.

Since the evidence we have of his being a shill is a job that wouldn't put him in a position to be a shill and the overstated post he made here? I think it's more likely this was a mis-fire in labeling him as paid PR and the original dumb post (that was at least borderline ban-worthy anyway). OP was reacting to the sorts of things I think everyone finds annoying, but that's a relatively small part of the interactions on NeoGAF; It's just that they seem so "loud." A post like this compounds the issue. Almost no one who was being unreasonable before something like this would look at what was written here and go "Oh my dear, he's right you know!"

I don't get it, why was the OP banned?

The amount of name-calling and criticizing a majority of the community for an annoying subset makes this well into ban-able territory, even for my tastes. As much as I loved the Alien 3 reference (which was admittedly the source of a lot of the tone), this deserved a "time out," PR or no PR.

vcc

Yeah, but an astroturfer typically doesn't post long and very long posts on many many things. Including long posts that defend the competitors of the firm for which he's working.

Hard to say, they're paid to write and they may have passions about games outside of their work. He might legitimately love Zelda which make it easier for him to pad out his account with non-MS stuff. He may not be a shill and just a aggressive MS fan.

Bit-Bit

Sometimes there are threads on GAF that makes me want to make a post just like the OP's.

But then I go ly dow instead.

Squalor

I never said the OP did it well. Although I suspect the "fools" bit was meant to be playful. Same for those movie stills. (Not sure what film they're from)
They're from Alien 3.

Don't watch it.

Actually, I'm almost certain his ban was because he liked Alien 3.

xaszatm

Banned
Wait, I'm confused. I thought TitusGroan was banned a few weeks ago. How did he make this topic to begin with.

Also, as someone who has seen this guy post in other forums, yeah, this guy was a huge Nintendo fan with Microsoft leanings. While this thread is no surprise, this really is how he does stuff when he's angry. It's probably not good anyway to throw a online tantrum but it's probably not astroturfing.

shandy706

Quoted for visibility.

Will anything be done about this? Or will this just be forgotten in a couple hours?

Perhaps a shortened ban based on calling everyone a fool..?

No idea, but some form of banning will be there for the aggressiveness/name calling.

I understand why any PR (even not related to MS) might make one swing harder and quicker.

Orca

I don't know if the guy was a shill or not, and yeah there's probably been too eager of an effort to paint anyone that likes the X1 as a shill after some issues in the past, but that last bit about how people's favourite console's shit doesn't stink while every other console is crap was on point.

A-V-B

They're from Alien 3.

Don't watch it.

Actually, I'm almost certain his ban was because he liked Alien 3.

That's not from Alien 3. Alien 3 was about the Alien invasion of Earth, and the further survival horror adventures of Ripley, Hicks, Bishop and Newt. I dunno what movie you're talking about.

The conspiracy theorist in me makes me think they're all conferring about it now, since I haven't seen any red names in a while.

Sendou

This guy wasn't an astroturfer after all.

At least, that's what it looks like right now.

It says it in the title that he registered with a PR e-mail. What PR companies MS works with is not exactly a secret. If he registered with such an e-mail and made a thread like this then ban is the rational conclusion.

Ghazi

While he seemed a little bit too slrping about it, it bothers me that we were so quick to fire the (pr) gun on him.

I remember some of his Nintendo posts, seems really weird to be banned for having a PR email when there are a mutltitude of other fields that need one.

It says it in the title that he registered with a PR e-mail. What PR companies MS works with is not exactly a secret. If he registered with such an e-mail and made a thread like this then ban is the rational conclusion.
He has a PR email. He is a Nintendo advocate. He does PR shilling/astroturfing for Nintendo?

adelante

Titus goes on a wild rant... mod outright bans him on suspicion of astroturfing and expresses great joy for doing so... other members point out that he wasn't in fact "shilling".......

....sigh.

Astroturfing with a PR email. Not subtle and very stupid.

KAPOW KAPOW

I AM THE BEAR WHO SHOOTS

a5BHO6S.jpg
WHPDtCG.gif

OMG.

Well, this was interesting from the moment Valkyria Chronicles' name was used in vain in the OP. It's probably been said in the past 10 pages, but most of those 3rd party exclusives were Japanese games where the publisher simply made them for the console that was more popular in their target market (Japan). Not moneyhats like Rise of the Tomb Raider.

He works for PR marketing company, likely paid by Microsoft sadly, he was caught

Update - works for a company that makes software for PR - but has PR in the name. Bish likely didn't do the research beyond "PR is in the name" and assumed the worst. Likely not paid by anyone.

Moderation and the way bans are handled can't be discussed openly in threads. If you want to know more, PMing a mod is the best way to do that.

At the same time it's kind of horribly hypocritical to leave a thread like this open for the sole purpose of showboating a ban.

Yes. Rather than discuss the actual merits of the OP and discuss the prevalent Pro-Sony aspects of GAF and hit and run posting let's ban the guy, make incorrect accusations and hope it all goes away.

Nice job Bish.

EGOMON

MS astroturfers at full force! Boy am glad Xbox is taking a beat this gen maybe they will do us a favor and leave the industry completely in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom