• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGamerChick: NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]

response is a little muted so far.
I agree with the comment that a 'dock' makes little sense on its own.
A dock peripheral & controller which adds extra processing power ala their patent application might be viable.

Seen this before but what is the context? Is it where he talks about galaxy 3 or another time?

I don't really remember sorry. I think he was talking about CPU power too weak, maybe concerning Star Fox, I am not sure...

Neoxon

Unless they have a really powerful x86 chip ready that's really appealing to Nintendo, we're probably looking at ARM for both.

GPU should be much more interesting, though.
Agreed. There would have to be some pretty insane advancements in x86 in handheld devices that Nintendo can use right now for x86 to be used in their next handheld (if that's the NX Handheld remains to be seen).

I don't really remember sorry. I think he was talking about CPU power too weak, maybe concerning Star Fox, I am not sure...

yeah that's the same one.
The way I interpreted that was more about their handheld power honestly, the context was about saving manpower through technology improvements (i.e. Dropping to a single games lineup), and everything they've said about that is related to their unified architecture plan and the gap between mobile and home shrinking.

If NX is really handheld only and PS/Xbox are too busy fucking around with VR and incremental hardware upgrades instead of building interesting game libraries this might officially be the most shite gen since I started gaming some 25 years ago.

Me: Old man yelling
Video games: Cloud

Neoxon

If NX is really handheld only and PS/Xbox are too busy fucking around with VR and incremental hardware upgrades instead of building interesting game libraries this might officially be the most shite gen since I started gaming some 25 years ago.

Me: Old man yelling
Video games: Cloud
It probably won't be handheld-only, especially since we're hearing murmurs of the console counterpart more, & especially with Trev implying that the console is dropping first. While granted, Nintendo is supposedly doing a price drop for the 3DS family which could free up the $200 price tag for the potential NX Handheld, the fact that Wii U support is screeching to a halt does indicate that the console counterpart is definitely on its way.

It probably won't be handheld-only, especially since we're hearing murmurs of the console counterpart more, & especially with Trev implying that the console is dropping first. While granted, Nintendo is supposedly doing a price drop for the 3DS family which could free up the $200 price tag for the potential NX Handheld, the fact that Wii U support is screeching to a halt does indicate that the console counterpart is definitely on its way.

Good points.

I still think a big tablet sized system would be...interesting. May be able to make something legit Wii U spec at that size but I'm not an expert.
Most of us expect two systems out close together but it might not be true. A large tabletish device could be a succesor to the gamepad focussed Wii U in a way, as well as being a new handheld. Home version could come further down the road as a lower cost option.

efthymis

Neo Member
Hello everyone. Just finished reading 18 pages. I don't usually post here, and I may be a bit off-topic but please bear with me.

Sony has a base of around 40 million users and let's say Microsoft is around 25-30ish.
Their revised consoles will not alienate those users. They are not about to start a new console generation. It would be foolish, the backslash would be huge, and they know they cannot do that. Honestly, what do you expect the PS4k and XB1.5 to be? They'll be something akin to 3DS / New 3DS. How many games are compatible ONLY with the New 3DS? What percentage? See where I'm going?

The PS4k currently struggles with 1080p60 with intensive/complex games. They will just bump it up a little to maintain 1080p60 performance while also utilizing some aspects of the 4k standard, namely HDR, expanded colorspace and stuff. The games will be able to run on both hardware revisions, with the PS4k offering better (hopefully 60fps locked) framerates and a bit more visual candy. But not enough to mark the start of new generation. Also, I highly doubt the PS4k to have the extra components of the PS VR built-in. More likely another revision later on will pack them in.

Let's move on to the XB1.5 now. It struggles way more than the PS4. Most games are 900p30/60. They'll just bump this too to 1080p60. Mayyybe even include some 4k protocol capabilities (HDR again, the expanded colorspace, etc). But that's it. Nothing more. Nada.

NX. Now, I'm as good as anyone at guessing. No, I am not a dev and have no connections whatsoever. However, most here seem to not see the bigger problem here. Nintendo's mistake was in the Wii era. It was an SD console amidst HD consoles. That's the starting point of their missteps IMHO. They came late to the HD graphics "game". The WiiU should have been the WiiHD we never got. There shouldn't have been a Wii SD.

Why did Nintendo stick with PowerPC tech from IBM for so long? Am I the only one that remembers that the deal with IBM involved a long-term partnership extending beyond the GC? Don't you remember the announcement saying Nintendo would be able to utilize IBM tech until after 2012? The announcement was even posted on IGN (best source, back then).

Personally, I would love to have a Nintendo console with all their 1st/2nd -party games AND the next let's say Elder Scrolls. Do I see that really happening? Of course, in a parallel universe it's already happening. Because, you see, we are talking about a Japanese company that seems cut-off from the rest of the world market. When you have a legend like Miyamoto saying he "doesn't get the Internet thing", well what more do you expect? Achievements? Solid online infrastructure? Skype-like technologies? BluRay/UHD playback? For Nintendo to REALLY have a chance creating a beefy (even if that also means generic) console, NoA should design it.

So, what do I expect? A console that's about the vanilla PS4. The tech inside NX was locked in place at least a year ago, then they started optimizing before heading to Foxconn. No, I don't expect big thing from Nintendo. I wish I did. But I can't, because..history.

Lumyst

This is the one, from Eurogamer:
When asked what extra hardware power would be needed - and whether this meant Nintendo would now wait for its upcoming NX console - Miyamoto was coy:

"Wii U's definitely good enough in terms of hardware performance, it is more the workload of the team. If you look at Star Fox Zero, the TV and GamePad are both rendered in 60 frames, so in total that's 120 frames. It's really just a matter of the CPU speed at this point."

He seems to be saying at this point, manpower is the bottleneck, and performance wise, it's about improving on what they are able to do now but in a more efficient manner.

Instro

Frankly I expect sub XBO power. Nintendo is Nintendo after all. I would be shocked if they put out something that is beyond both of them.

efthymis

Neo Member
I think you vastly overestimate how powerful the PS4/Xbone actually are.

That's the funny thing! They aren't. However, they were supposed to be a vast improvement on the previous generation. This doesn't make them less enjoyable, but I think we were all expecting 1080p60 to be the norm, yet they struggled!

Pokemaniac

That's the funny thing! They aren't. However, they were supposed to be a vast improvement on the previous generation. This doesn't make them less enjoyable, but I think we were all expecting 1080p60 to be the norm, yet they struggled!

Point is, they're not particularly difficult to match, and the idea that doing so is somehow beyond Nintendo is absurd.

efthymis

Neo Member
@Pokemaniac

Agree. But look at their price. Granted, the exact same configuration for a console launching today would be probably close to half that of the PS4/XB1 launch. Yet their price remains relatively high even after 2 years on the market (relatively high, when you take into account their lack of power).

I doubt Nintendo would like to launch a console at 400 Euros (sorry, i'm from Greece, hence the currency calculations in my mind). I would buy it, but what about those who are casual gamers?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

BuggyMike

We already know more about PS4K than we know about NX...

I'm thinking that's a good thing for Nintendo, they have the element of surprise on their side. While everyone's spilled the beans on the PS4k before sony's had a chance to, people are drooling for any NX info. If they reveal an awesome system with amazing launch games it could really make a big splash. I gotta say with how fast people found out about the PS4k it's pretty impressive Nintendo can keep this system under wraps when it's supposedly coming out in 2016, I mean we literally have no idea what it is after all this time. It's fuckin' driving me nuts.

OryoN

I think you vastly overestimate how powerful the PS4/Xbone actually are.
That and how capable Nintendo is. That Narative of "...cause it's Nintendo" doesn't mean much at all.

Nintendo's R&D/console hardware budget(usually over 1 Billion $), is well within - and have exceeded, in some instances, iirc - the budget of their competitors. It's all about where they are focusing this effort. Their hardware - for better or worse - features lots of proprietary tech, which ofen costs considerably more than off-the-shelf parts. Then the majority of their budget for Wii/Wii U reportedly went into the functionally of the controllers. While the NX apparently will continue Nintendo's trend unique controllers, it is expected to build on their extablished conception also. That means all that R&D that went into 1-to-1 motion controls and lag-free screen mirroring should pay off big-time. That's not to say they won't have new, potentiality expensive controller tech, but at least they aren't starting from scratch this time, and can likely spend a bit more on GPU/CPU solutions. I expect a more well-rounded system this time. Not a beast, but much better balanced in all areas.

Honestly dont care if its xbox one/ps4 power... why more power? How much difference is that gonna make?

Personally, I'm still waiting for this amazing Physics & AI promised since PS3's Cell. Graphics, while decent, still mostly looks like the best of what PS360 could do with a few extra effects sprinkled in. Minus one or two exceptions(Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4), I'm not blown away. Not necessarily underwhelm, just not floored.

If NX can't do better ports of X1 and Ps4 3rd party games at launch than both systems, it's already almost DOA, unless once again, it has a special enough gimmick.

I'd say with the rumors of PS4K, it probably even needs to be 2x as powerful, at least. Just ship it woth a normal controller, sell an improved gamepad or expensive special peripherals seperately.

Neoxon

If NX can't do better ports of X1 and Ps4 3rd party games at launch than both systems, it's already almost DOA, unless once again, it has a special enough gimmick.

I'd say with the rumors of PS4K, it probably even needs to be 2x as powerful, at least. Just ship it woth a normal controller, sell an improved gamepad or expensive special peripherals seperately.
Not unless they want the console to be hella expensive.

ika

It's gonna be more powerful than vanilla PS4, have 6GB of RAM usable for games (that's 1GB more than the PS4), 10GB RAM total, have a gpu twice as fast as a PS4, and give the PS4K a run for its money. Quote me, fam. It's true.

Quoting you... :p

Rodin

This is the one, from Eurogamer:

He seems to be saying at this point, manpower is the bottleneck, and performance wise, it's about improving on what they are able to do now but in a more efficient manner.
That statement is absurd in many ways, and i don't think it should be taken literally. Miyamoto wasn't involved in the hardware this time, and he's also the same guy that wanted Pikmin in 4K. Good luck doing that with laughably shitty Wii U-level of GPU power.

It doesn't need to match the PS4K, especially when that means releasing a 399€ console, but it's exactly the PS4K that showed there's a good margin to improve on current gen specs at that price, one that we previously didn't expect. If Sony can really make a 3.5tflops console with 4K Blu-Ray Player and a better CPU than PS4 and sell it at 399 with no loss, there should be no reason why Nintendo can't release a 299€ NX that's a bit better than the original PS4. Not saying they'll do that, but they can if they want to.

Pokemaniac

Not at all, I just think Nintendo still doesn't care about hardware power.

The only way the console is reasonably not going to be at least in the same ballpark is if the thing is made of cheap mobile parts. The PS4 and Xbone are not really high end.

BuggyMike

Ehh I don't like when people jump to that conclusion. At this point Nintendo could go either way but we have nothing solid to go on that they completely don't care about specs. To conclude this would be by going off of the last 2 generations, the first went amazing, the second went horrible. It's not like Nintendo are continually being successful with this underpowered strategy, so it's perfectly logical that they can go into another route after such a huge failure the second time around. There's always the chance that they just keep doubling down on their underpowered/controller gimmick strategy but there's a chance this past generation has forced them to reevaluate things. I'm sure they were watching as people made a big fuss about the power of the PS4 and how that caused so much hype, while the Wii U was in the background the whole time. you never know. Point is Nintendo can go in any direction at this point and there's no way to conclude that they def are going to go in the same old direction with such big changes and such a big failure with the Wii U. Honestly anything can happen.

Somewhat of a "captain obvious" that the NX would more powerful than the PS4/XB1 given the amount of flak the Wii U took for it not being.

I dunno man. Watch it be as powerful as the PS4 GPU wise, but a weaker CPU with inferior multiplat ports. I'd be genuinely surprised if its stronger than the PS4 in every way.

What I'm worried about the most, is that Nintendo will bring up another expensive gimmick which will drive up the price to make it significantly more expensive then their competitors--while sticking with last gen tech. They've done it for two generations already with Wii and Wii U. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the wiimote controls and I think the gamepad is enjoyable but it really drove up the price and seemed to mask their outdated hardware tech. With Nintendo, they could get away with it with handhelds, but not so much on home consoles..

Malus

And again I don't think matching 3 year old consoles means they've started caring about hardware power. Just means that NX will be a generational leap over Wii U, the same way Wii U was a leap over the Wii.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Haha, not falling for this again having seen how these rumors panned out in the last few generations.

Most likely it will be on-par with XBox One or slightly weaker.

Indelible

This is feeling alot like another Wii U, on par with current consoles and releasing mid way through the generation. I want this to be a success but it feels like Nintendo is making the same mistakes.

This is feeling alot like another Wii U, on par with current consoles and releasing mid way through the generation. I want this to be a success but it feels like Nintendo is making the same mistakes.
The Wii U was released at the end of the generation, though. The NX will be released at the middle of the generation (where the Wii U should been released at if it wasn't delayed.)

Doctre81

The Wii U was released at the end of the generation, though. The NX will be released at the middle of the generation (where the Wii U should been released at if it wasn't delayed.)

The WiiU was never supposed to come out in the middle of last gen. The gpu didn't start developement until late 2008-early 2009. It never would have launched before 2011.

Reading thomasmahler's comments again.. I'm wondering if this could be interpreted as the idea I had ages ago, a screenless (or main-screenless) controller and integrated game system that can stream to any display. There would be a 'dock' for clipping it to smaller screens and a tv dongle. Other traditional versions could be made later but this would be their 'surprising brand new concept'. (Yeah I know there are some wired retro systems integrated into controllers already ;p)

daakusedo

Reading thomasmahler's comments again.. I'm wondering if this could be interpreted as the idea I had ages ago, a screenless (or main-screenless) controller and integrated game system that can stream to any display. There would be a 'dock' for clipping it to smaller screens and a tv dongle. Other traditional versions could be made later but this would be their 'surprising brand new concept'. (Yeah I know there are some wired retro systems integrated into controllers already ;p)

I'm not sure seeking evidence for your speculation on a developer throwing a tantrum at not having devkit then openly relaying rumours never heard before will reveal fruitful.

Overall, with the infos we got so far, I don't think it will be that far from a classic console.

klier

Don't really care how the NX stacks up to the revision systems. I can't wait to see what Nintendo can do with current gen tech. I can't even imagine how good some of their games will look.

This. My gut is saying it'll be more powerful than the PS4, but even when it's little below the Xbone in terms of power, the games will look utterly amazing.
Imagine Zelda U, but then upgraded to Xbone levels? Daaaamn...

I'm not sure seeking evidence for your speculation on a developer throwing a tantrum at not having devkit then openly relaying rumours never heard before will reveal fruitful.

Overall, with the infos we got so far, I don't think it will be that far from a classic console.

No perhaps not, but more than anything it reminded me of that idea which I had pretty much forgotten.

AzaK

Don't really care how the NX stacks up to the revision systems. I can't wait to see what Nintendo can do with current gen tech. I can't even imagine how good some of their games will look.

Yeah but would Nintendo's stylisation really need it? They could stick with something 2x Wii U (About 1/4 of the pure GPU grunt of PS4) and it'd look good and be cheap. That's more like Nintendo than a PS4 level machine.

Yeah but would Nintendo's stylisation really need it? They could stick with something 2x Wii U (About 1/4 of the pure GPU grunt of PS4) and it'd look good and be cheap. That's more like Nintendo than a PS4 level machine.

A PS4 is nothing really incredible tech wise so I doubt they will be below that. Fuck that "it is Nintendo" shit. They saw they need some power to get third partys on board and to fill the gaps between their own releases so they won't pull out another weak gaming device. And why do you think i know that? Because Nintendo wants to make money. The only reason they do anything at all. So they try again to be on par with the competition and not fall behind again.

This does not gel with the hopes and dreams of it being a third party AAA powerhouse dream machine based on random unverifiable reddit and twitter posts.

True, but if the PS4.5 and comaparable Xbox updates come out in 2017, then the NX will be releasing at the end of an iterative part of the generation, and may still seem as out of step as the Wii U, whereby the boxes it's competing against are soon to be technically inferior anyway.

Roo

Honestly dont care if its xbox one/ps4 power... why more power? How much difference is that gonna make?
For Nintendo games at least the difference would be huge.

You think Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon are brimming with details?

Just imagine those franchises with Ratchet & Clank's levels of detail. And that's only for the visual department. Plenty of room for improvement in other areas as well.

For third party games..sadly, not so much.

That site is a mess. It seems like she is just a random blogger. How did she come across this information?

It's just relaying what she's heard or thinks to her readers/followers... they might be completely out of the loop but like her. Makin' a go of it, saying stuff a lot of us would probably say if we migrated from GAF reading to a news/thoughts persona.

Kikorin

Try to imagine Mario Kart 8 in 1080p with AA, my god :0 (And I don't think they even need the PS4/X1 level of power to do something like that)

Top Bottom