• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGamerChick: NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]

Neoxon

Except, y'know, the whole restructuring and merging of all the Wii U/3DS teams.

But that's probably just for no reason.
It wasn't for no reason. The closest we'll get to your hybrid wet dream is a shared library of games between the next console & the next handheld, which is likely why Nintendo merged their console & handheld development teams. A single-device hybrid, especially one at the power you mentioned, is a fool's dream at best. One that Iwata already shot down before he died.

jmizzal

So many rumors, and people's reactions are always funny to see.

If the PS4K and Xbox One.5 are supposed to come out within the same relative timeframe as the NX, couldn't the NX be just as powerful as them? Afterall, it's not like any of these companies has secret technology to make industry chips better than the others (although the WUST was pretty funny in this regard).

Also if the NX is coming out the same time as those, it would be good for the NX since MS and Sony most likely wont release new systems as soon as expected and sit on this gen even longer.

jax

Banned
It wasn't for no reason. The closest we'll get to your hybrid wet dream is a shared library of games between the next console & the next handheld, which is likely why Nintendo merged their console & handheld development teams. A single-device hybrid, especially one at the power you mentioned, is a fool's dream at best. One that Iwata already shot down before he died.
My argument still stands even if it is two devices. They'll work together.

MK_768

My argument still stands even if it is two devices. They'll work together.

That's not a hybrid lol. That's a family of devices ala iphone/ipad.

And correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Iwata or someone at Nintendo mentioned wanting their hardware to be like "brothers." Sorry, but indications are that Nintendo is making a home console and a handheld that allow for scalability and are under one OS.

I hope this doesn't mean they chickened out and went x86.

What's wrong with all three systems being x86 and powered by AMD? Makes porting ultra easy. Similar hardware, from one provider, and easy porting reduces risk for third-parties somewhat. Which makes backing NX a bit more easier... sales notwithstanding.

Let's not forget that Vulkan will possibly be the main graphics API NX.

bachikarn

The audience is already there. You think the 3/4 of people who haven't upgraded to a current gen console just hate third party games? They'll see the graphics are better on NX, see the portability convenience, see the third parties they've been missing out on, and Smash Bros and Zelda and other first parties are just icing on the cake. If Sony and Microsoft didn't take 3-4 years to get their consoles off the ground there wouldn't be much competition, but their first party lineup is non-existent, and their consoles shipped underpowered. (4K and 1.5 on the horizon.) Literally every PS4 owner I've told about the 4K is like "wtf. I should have just bought a PC" ... People are pissed. They'll vote with their wallets.

That's a fairly big assumption. Those people could just be waiting for things to get cheaper. Now, I do agree Nintendo could get this audience but they have to make their own games that attract that audience. Then they will be there and more likely to buy similar third party games.

Not sure what you mean by 'portability convenience.' You don't think it will be a hybrid do you?

L Thammy

Is there a reason why these claims are more believable than random forum post? They don't seem to be particularly substantial, so I'm surprised that the thread's still up.

udivision

Is there a reason why these claims are more believable than random forum post? They don't seem to be particularly substantial, so I'm surprised that the thread's still up.

I guess its because she's a journalist? That puts her above any random reddit user, and if it turns out she's lying then threads based on her rumors will be banned (like that Unseen 64 guy IIRC). At the very least she must believe this is true since the blowback will be on her and not just "internet rumors.

Oh come on. If it had been easy, it would've been Mass Effect Trilogy the Wii U got, not Mass Effect 3 followed by EA reportedly sending back most of their Wii U kits. We would've been drowning in late ports.

I don't think EA would spam late ports out like that unless they actually had the potential to sell

L Thammy

I guess its because she's a journalist? That puts her above any random reddit user, and if it turns out she's lying then threads based on her rumors will be banned (like that Unseen 64 guy IIRC). At the very least she must believe this is true since the blowback will be on her and not just "internet rumors.

Fair enough, I guess. I just hope that "easy to develop for" means "easy to get a team or five interns to port PS4/XB1 games to in a week".

I can see Reggie been bombarded with questions about the NX power and him replying "It is all about DA GAMES"

I can see see Reggie being bombarded with questions and giving standard PR answers because he genuinely doesn't know

Taker666

Of course it will be more powerful than XB1 which is a rather pathetic 1.3 TFLOP GPU tied to 6GB useable old and slow DDR3 MEMORY. If it can't beat that we got the Wii U situation on our hands again. I would expect the NX to at least be as powerful as the PS4.

That'll largely depend on what the "new concept" behind the NX is...and how much of the hardware cost it'll take up. If the "new concept" is expensive then the hardware power will clearly take a hit.

We're not getting a Nintendo version of the PS4 or XB1. There will be something markedly different about it.

bachikarn

I wouldn't say that is the likely reason they merged the divisions. There would still be a lot of benefit from a development perspective. Teams or people could help on projects for both platform instead of having to specialize in just one.

With how Nintendo handled SNES VC on 3DS, I'm starting to doubt this shared library theory that everyone believe in.

Malus

Remember, it's "optimized for gaming". A console, optimized for gaming, what a world we live in.

Of all the leaks, this is probably the most bullshit one yet. At least the fake controllers took some effort.

You haven't been keeping up too much with the leaks have you? :p

diaspora

Nope, OP is bish-verified ... so the stuff he posted is expected to be true ... go read it.

E: Well, if the stuff is true, then yes, they do, at least with the quality of future games.
Depends on what platform acts as a base unit. If they develop for PS4/XB1 and scale the games up for the 4.5/1.5, then it shouldn't be an issue. If they're scaling down... Everyone loses. Well, except PC gamers.
With that actual PS4.5 news...
And the XBox 1+ rumors...

Good luck NX.
Don't you mean good luck Sony? They're potentially fucking over current owners.

With that actual PS4.5 news...
And the XBox 1+ rumors...

Good luck NX.
Heh, don't you think that this should be directed at Sony? Fucking over a huge userbase in terms of game quality is pretty prone to backfire.

Devs really need to think about what to support. And in a gen, where cross-gen PS3 ports of games like MGS V exist, i think there should be a clear indication of keeping the base system as the focus.

Diffense

I think PS4K kind of validates Nintendo's decision not to focus primarily on GPU and CPU specs but to try to incorporate other features that differentiate their machine. The technological advantage is very easy to lose when new players enter the market (That said, the Wii was probably too weak even though Nintendo sold 100m).

Their efforts to enable easier software development continuity between hardware generations will likely pay off too if they start having to answer incremental upgrades from their competitors. While Nintendo has seldom released upgraded consoles they've upgraded their portables many times (GBC, DSi, new 3DS etc.).

I don't think EA would spam late ports out like that unless they actually had the potential to sell

If they were cheap and easy to bring over, yes, they would have.

As it stands, Wii U initially got a lot of sequels to games that were never on Nintendo platforms before, and that was pretty weird.

udivision

Don't you mean good luck Sony? They're potentially fucking over current owners.

Heh, don't you think that this should be directed at Sony? Fucking over a huge userbase in terms of game quality is pretty prone to backfire.

At this point, I think a PS4K is an easier sell than whatever Nintendo can come up with. Even ignoring everything the PS4 specifically has going for it, at the very least the PS4 is a proven success.

What would the backlash be? "After hearing about this, people are not going to want to buy a PS4 or PS4K. Cancel it or kiss your business goodbye"? The things that made the PS4 an attractive buy for the majority of gamers this gen are still there. IDK, I feel like people will get over it easier than they'll get over the issues Nintendo brought about with the Wii U.

At this point, I think a PS4K is an easier sell than whatever Nintendo can come up with. Even ignoring everything the PS4 specifically has going for it, at the very least the PS4 is a proven success.

What would the backlash be? "After hearing about this, people are not going to want to buy a PS4 or PS4K. Cancel it or kiss your business goodbye"? The things that made the PS4 an attractive buy for the majority of gamers this gen are still there. IDK, I feel like people will get over it easier than they'll get over the issues Nintendo brought about with the Wii U.
So, an updated console hardware for the market leader, that has an install base of what, 50 millions, is an easier sell than a complete new system, that doesn't open up the very probable situation of giving inferior games to the majority?

Ok, case closed. No need to discuss this with you any longer.

L Thammy

So, an updated console hardware for the market leader, that has an install base of what, 50 millions, is an easier sell than a complete new system, that doesn't open up the very probable situation of giving inferior games to the majority?

The problem with this is that the NX is still coming from an extremely hard position. Even if the PlayStation 4K is a flop, it's still coming off of the hugely successful PS4, whereas the Wii U has left Nintendo with little goodwill or mindshare that they're coming off of.

If the NX sells exactly as much as the Wii U, that's actually bucking the trend of Nintendo's console decline. If the PS4K sells exactly as much as the Wii U, would that be considered a success?

udivision

Don't close the case just yet. Hardware revisions can sell gangbusters, especially when they're A) based on the market leader and B) used to "phase out" old hardware. If the PS4 is destined to reach about 80+ million in sales, I can see about 20+ million of those being PS4Ks. I would be cautious to bet that the NX home console does 20+ million, but that's possible.

The PS4 is doing well and Nintendo is still struggling with some issues. Even in third-party support, I'd bet devs would be more willing to put in the extra effort to make PS4K games than make ports for the NX. Heck, the NX might even end up with the "inferior games".

MK_768

The problem with this is that the NX is still coming from an extremely hard position. Even if the PlayStation 4K is a flop, it's still coming off of the hugely successful PS4, whereas the Wii U has left Nintendo with little goodwill or mindshare that they're coming off of.

If the NX sells exactly as much as the Wii U, that's actually bucking the trend of Nintendo's console decline. If the PS4K sells exactly as much as the Wii U, would that be considered a success?

I think people overestimate the value of goodwill with regards to the video game industry.

I mean what about the high amounts of goodwill Sony has after PS2 or Nintendo and Microsoft had after Wii and 360? How'd that work out?

Don't close the case just yet. Hardware revisions can sell gangbusters, especially when they're A) based on the market leader and B) used to "phase out" old hardware. If the PS4 is destined to reach about 80+ million in sales, I can see about 20+ million of those being PS4Ks. I would be cautious to bet that the NX home console does 20+ million, but that's possible.

The PS4 is doing well and Nintendo is still struggling with some issues. Even in third-party support, I'd bet devs would be more willing to put in the extra effort to make PS4K games than make ports for the NX. Heck, the NX might even end up with the "inferior games".

Yeah, just like the PS4...

Everyone's too burned out from that trick just being pulled with the n3DS to be interested in a new Nintendo system for the next few years. Or something.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

That's why I'm not too concerned about third party games. If they are going to release their games on NX and it runs flawlessly like other versions then I will purchase the games for NX.

udivision

I think people overestimate the value of goodwill with regards to the video game industry.

I mean what about the high amounts of goodwill Sony has after PS2 or Nintendo and Microsoft had after Wii and 360? How'd that work out?

It depends, which of these is a bigger "problem"?

PS3: 600 USD, lack of games
One: Higher Price than competitors, weaker hardware, and bad word of mouth (online only)
Wii U: A lot of things went wrong there
PS4K: More powerful hardware, you'll have to buy new hardware for better performing games

Yeah, just like the PS4...

Which, to the original point, would add to the appeal of the PS4K and not the NX.

MK_768

That's why I'm not too concerned about third party games. If they are going to release their games on NX and it runs flawlessly like other versions then I will purchase the games for NX.

A lot of people feel otherwise. Especially those who play multiplayer games like COD. They'll buy those games wherever their friends buy em.

Neoxon

What's wrong with all three systems being x86 and powered by AMD? Makes porting ultra easy. Similar hardware, from one provider, and easy porting reduces risk for third-parties somewhat. Which makes backing NX a bit more easier... sales notwithstanding.

Let's not forget that Vulkan will possibly be the main graphics API NX.
The issue comes when Nintendo launches their handheld. You can't really do x86 on a handheld without having to make some sacrifices elsewhere.

MK_768

It depends, which of these is a bigger "problem"?

PS3: 600 USD, lack of games
One: Higher Price than competitors, weaker hardware, and bad word of mouth (online only)
Wii U: A lot of things went wrong there
PS4K: More powerful hardware, you'll have to buy new hardware for better performing games

Which, to the original point, would add to the appeal of the PS4K and not the NX.

Hmm good points lol. Very unusual someone has intelligent response on Gaf.

So I will add that I think the point about the PS4 getting shit versions of games could hurt Sony. I can only speak for myself but I have a PS4. I will not upgrade to PS4K. If the games the PS4 get simply work like shit I just won't get them. I have no issues skipping broken games.

And we get those broken games now as is(Assassins Creed for example). I know there are people who fall in my boat. But I also know the Sony diehards feel "forced", as one of em put it to me, that they have to get the PS4K.

I personally think Sony is hurting the vanilla PS4 side of the business if that leak is true. I have an issue thinking they will. I think the leak is being overblown, but we'll see.

dcx4610

More powerful than systems released 3 years ago and other than the RAM already outdated? I certainly hope so.

Ogodei

The real reason Microsoft and Sony decided to upgrade this year

It could definitely play a factor.

Makes me wonder how the 8th gen will go down in history, if the Wii U, PS4, and X1 all get some sort of replacement within a year of each other, but the replacements are all within the ballpark of the OG PS4.

Or if the Wii U just ends up getting slotted in with the 7th gen, but calling it 8th gen pt 1 would work (much like how the 2nd generation is widely agreed to go in two phases, with the Atari 2600 and the Atari 5200 being the key division).

udivision

Hmm good points lol. Very unusual someone has intelligent response on Gaf.

So I will add that I think the point about the PS4 getting shit versions of games could hurt Sony. I can only speak for myself but I have a PS4. I will not upgrade to PS4K. If the games the PS4 get simply work like shit I just won't get them. I have no issues skipping broken games.

And we get those broken games now as is(Assassins Creed for example). I know there are people who fall in my boat. But I also know the Sony diehards feel "forced", as one of em put it to me, that they have to get the PS4K.

I personally think Sony is hurting the vanilla PS4 side of the business if that leak is true. I have an issue thinking they will. I think the leak is being overblown, but we'll see.

Thanks, I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out. I only buy/play Nintendo consoles since that's where the franchises I'm interested in are. Unless Paper Mario gets confirmed as a 4K exclusive, I don't really have much personal interest in whatever Sony is doing.

But as a topic on a gaming form, I am curious how everything will play out in the market but my opinion is just an opinion.

MK_768

Thanks, I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out. I only buy/play Nintendo consoles since that's where the franchises I'm interested in are. Unless Paper Mario gets confirmed as a 4K exclusive, I don't really have much personal interest in whatever Sony is doing.

But as a topic on a gaming form, I am curious how everything will play out in the market but my opinion is just an opinion.

I'm used to people treating their opinion as fact.

Anyways, yeah I love Nintendo but I also like Sony's 1st party games. Hence why I got a PS4. I did skip the PS3 until it came down to like 200 bucks. I regret the purchase but whatever lol. I don't regret the purchase of m PS4 because I've used it a lot. I don't know if the PS4K will make me regret it...but it'll just really put me off if I can't enjoy the games because they are a technical mess.

Diffense

Yes, PS4 and XBox updates will be additional competition but, as I said before, I think these developments justify Nintendo's desire to have other compelling "gimmicks" besides technological superiority.

I think market performance of new machines from Sony and MS that don't offer anything over the originals except "more power" (since all games will come to the OG consoles in some form) will be interesting. Is that compelling enough to dampen the reception of a new machine with exclusive games?

Top Bottom