• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IndieGamerChick: NX more powerful than PS4/XB1, easy to develop for [rumor]

ozfunghi

If anything, i think the release of Xbox1.5 and PS4.5 is a good thing for NX, regardless of power. Userbase being reset, possibly pissing off a large portion of that userbase... Also, i doubt the real PS5 and XB2 will release anytime soon.

Is that what's in the Asus phones? And even then, isn't 14nm a bit on the newer side?

Polaris is AMD's new tech for this year's gpus. (and potentially the ps4/xbo revisions)
But how using that would be a 'sacrifice' for the sake of getting mobile x86 I have no idea. Arm is a much better idea.

Pacotez

So, ps4k and xbone.5 basically put Nintendo back in the game?
If the NX is more powerful than xbone and ps4, maybe it can afford to be less powerful than the ps4k and xbone.5 which are basically a new gen. The reason for that being ps4k and xbone.5 games will run on the ps4 and xbone, therefore should on nx too. So NX might not miss on third party support until NX2, ps5 and xbox 3.74

Vena

Polaris is AMD's new tech for this year's gpus. (and potentially the ps4/xbo revisions)
But how using that would be a 'sacrifice' for the sake of getting mobile x86 I have no idea. Arm is a much better idea.

It isn't. Polaris will only appear in a new generation, if it appears at all. The GCN architectural changes, and current low yields would completely fuck a mid-cycle revision. The PS4k/X1 will remain on the same GCN, with higher speeds and more optimization on die.

The handheld seems to potentially not even be launching until early 2017, so they have more time to wait on yields.

Is that what's in the Asus phones? And even then, isn't 14nm a bit on the newer side?

No. Its brand new, its also very low power draw and solves the compatibility hurdles of having different architectural layers under your OS if they wanted to use a handheld and console but not use ARM for both.

The Giant

Banned
April fool's starts in 6-9 hrs for us gaffers from the future.

So many fake NX rumours will pop up and I wouldn't be surprised if a few ended up being true.

Can't wait for the NX reveal. I have a good feeling about this one. After the Wii and the WiiU, I really think Nintendo has a good idea of what they need to do to compete.

Their WiiU games have been great, so I haven't at all lost faith in their abilities to make great games.

I'm hoping that NX + PC gaming is the way to go into the future.

AzaK

Can't wait for the NX reveal. I have a good feeling about this one. After the Wii and the WiiU, I really think Nintendo has a good idea of what they need to do to compete.

Their WiiU games have been great, so I haven't at all lost faith in their abilities to make great games.

I'm hoping that NX + PC gaming is the way to go into the future.

Poor dude, I feel sorry for you.

At best it'll be about PS4 level to keep costs and price down. Then XB1.5 and PS4.5 will come, trouncing it again. The only hope I see is if Nintendo release an expandable system - ala that patent.

Lumyst

Haha, that would be interesting if it turns out like that! I know WSJ mentioned NX may be planning to include a home console and one mobile unit but come to think of it I never actually thought through what that could look like in terms of implementation. Like, when I think "dock" I think of a tiny little box without a disc drive. Specs wise, I know last year there were mentions of a cleaned up WiiU as the console part (I think it stemmed from Miyamoto saying "It's a matter of the cpu at this point" or something like that) so I've personally been preparing for it to be like that, but then later on there was that infamous"Industry leading chips" thing. In any case, the unique user interface part is what intrigues me the most, if that's controller related or software related. This has been the first time I got to experience when rumors started to circulate about a console up to its reveal so it'll be interesting to see how it truly turns out.

Then XB1.5 and PS4.5 will come, trouncing it again.

That's a lot of carts being put in front of many horses. I am not sure developers are going to divert core development focus from 50+ million PS4's sold for the whopping zero PS4.5 out in the market now and relative unknown amount that might sell in the future. I am sure there will be a handful or more of PS4.5 specific games announced but outside of those, the vast majority are still going to target the already entrenched user base. Huh, that kinda sounds like what exactly happened with N3DS.

Pokemaniac

I don't think it's a given that software will be made specifically for console, meaning everyone may have to develop for handheld as the base model.

Putting an arbitrary limit on software like that would just generally be a bad idea. Lots of games simply wouldn't work on a handheld regardless of power.

Pokemaniac

I was referring to the console more than the handheld.

Supporting multiple ISAs isn't impossible, but it's a can of worms that Nintendo really wouldn't want to open unless they have to. While most software doesn't care too much about ISA, OSes and development tooling very much need to.

Supporting multiple ISAs isn't impossible, but it's a can of worms that Nintendo really wouldn't want to open unless they have to. While most software doesn't care too much about ISA, OSes and development tooling very much need to.

Correct, it will be interesting to see what AMD (if AMD is involved in the handheld and so far nothing has shown that they aren't) has in-store for the NX handheld and how it will fit in the overall NX ecosystem.

Neoxon

No. Its brand new, its also very low power draw and solves the compatibility hurdles of having different architectural layers under your OS if they wanted to use a handheld and console but not use ARM for both.
But that's the issue, it's too new.

I was referring to the console more than the handheld.
Recall Iwata's statement about making the consoles & handhelds "like brothers". If that's to be taken at face value, it likely means a similar architecture across both.

Banned
It's gonna be more powerful than vanilla PS4, have 6GB of RAM usable for games (that's 1GB more than the PS4), 10GB RAM total, have a gpu twice as fast as a PS4, and give the PS4K a run for its money. Quote me, fam. It's true.

Ad0ve

Banned
It's gonna be more powerful than vanilla PS4, have 6GB of RAM usable for games (that's 1GB more than the PS4), 10GB RAM total, have a gpu twice as fast as a PS4, and give the PS4K a run for its money. Quote me, fam. It's true.

i believe you

masud

Banned
Don't really care how the NX stacks up to the revision systems. I can't wait to see what Nintendo can do with current gen tech. I can't even imagine how good some of their games will look.

Pokemaniac

Correct, it will be interesting to see what AMD (if AMD is involved in the handheld and so far nothing has shown that they aren't) has in-store for the NX handheld and how it will fit in the overall NX ecosystem.

Unless they have a really powerful x86 chip ready that's really appealing to Nintendo, we're probably looking at ARM for both.

GPU should be much more interesting, though.

I would still like to believe that the ps4k is partially due to the existence the nx. In the last year or so Sony has been kinda doubling down on Vita support. This was evident at TGS (not too surprising) and PSX. Although several months prior to that the Vita was a "legacy" platform. So to me that comes across as a direct response to NCL having a shared library across multiple form factors/ hw skus.

Given the Rift is $600, could Sony have not just added some SoC to the processing box that ships with the PSVR and offer 4k output through that and use that as bullet point to sell more psvr? Even if it raised the cost of the unit to $450, it would still be $150 less that the closest option and offer more incentive for ps4 owners to buy. So I tend to think Sony just ceased the opportunity to not get out shined. MS...I honestly have no clue how you spin an xb1.5 to consumers.

As for NX, would being built around Vulkan afford it advantages over ps4's api & Dx12 on say Frostbite 3.0 titles? All specs being relatively equal that is?

Roo

April fool's starts in 6-9 hrs for us gaffers from the future.

So many fake NX rumours will pop up and I wouldn't be surprised if a few ended up being true.
That's why I like this day.
Those in the know actually have a chance to throw some real info and probably get lost in the sea of fakes and rumors and no one would know till Nintendo officially reveals the thing.

BuggyMike

At best it'll be about PS4 level to keep costs and price down. Then XB1.5 and PS4.5 will come, trouncing it again. The only hope I see is if Nintendo release an expandable system - ala that patent.

Oh please we have no idea what the thing is, the guy didn't even comment on the power he's just hyped for a new Nintendo system, dont be a buzzkill when unnecessary. Some levels of pessimism just start to get annoying.

TLZ

Banned
The problem with this is that the NX is still coming from an extremely hard position. Even if the PlayStation 4K is a flop, it's still coming off of the hugely successful PS4, whereas the Wii U has left Nintendo with little goodwill or mindshare that they're coming off of.

If the NX sells exactly as much as the Wii U, that's actually bucking the trend of Nintendo's console decline. If the PS4K sells exactly as much as the Wii U, would that be considered a success?

The Wii u came off the Wii. The Wii came off the gamecube. The 360 came off the Xbox. These didn't mean much, did they?

CD'S BAR

If I were a betting man I'd bet money that those power rumors are bullshit. I think best case scenario it's on par with vanilla ps4.

Malus

I will make a gaf thread of your Reddit post. Then we have 3 sources which will make the leak practically legit.

Well I made the thread. Hope for some fun comments by tomorrow morning.

On a sidenote, the Nintendo NX subreddit is a mess. Constant rumors from no name redditors claiming to be a dev or artist or recently fired from Nintendo.

Here's one from a supposed pizza delivery guy who says he saw the controller: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/4cbhj7/a_quick_visual_of_what_i_saw/

Mr_Moogle

Nintendo gave up the hardware arms race when the Gamecube flopped. I don't see them ever going back to it. They probably don't need to either. They have other way more pressing concerns anyway e.g. coming up with controller people actually want to use.

Malus

Nintendo gave up the hardware arms race when the Gamecube flopped. I don't see them ever going back to it. They probably don't need to either. They have other way more pressing concerns anyway e.g. coming up with controller people actually want to use.

Being on par or a bit better than 3 year old consoles isn't really competing in the hardware arms race though.

You know, everyone says this.
You may be right, but let's not forget that the WiiU happened. Let's not forget that even Miyamoto kind of "complained" of the low power route.
So, trying to at least match the current gen isn't so farfetched, even for Nintendo.

Of course they will be fucked by the Xbox one.5 and the PS4K, when games will be designed for them then downgraded to crappy ports to the PS4 and XBOX ONE.

bachikarn

If the GCN was a flop, what was the Wii U?

Well I made the thread. Hope for some fun comments by tomorrow morning.

response is a little muted so far.
I agree with the comment that a 'dock' makes little sense on its own.
A dock peripheral & controller which adds extra processing power ala their patent application might be viable.

You know, everyone says this.
You may be right, but let's not forget that the WiiU happened. Let's not forget that even Miyamoto kind of "complained" of the low power route.

Seen this before but what is the context? Is it where he talks about galaxy 3 or another time?

Top Bottom