• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2014: It's Groundhog Day and we have Season Passes for Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does anyone have an strategies for Threes? I'm stuck at 1000-2000. I pretty much just give 1+2 priority.

Does anyone have an strategies for Threes? I'm stuck at 1000-2000. I pretty much just give 1+2 priority.

I'm still a rank amateur, but it seems to me that attempting to merge more than one set with each move is even more important than the 1+2 pairing. That said though, my main problem is that as soon as I try to strategize, my scores plummet.

PFD

This video review from Classic Game Room (circa 2009) had me convinced.

I almost bought Elemental Asteroids but I'm guessing The Quest Gold is a better game to start with?

It's possible to start with any expansion, but I definitely recommend starting with Gold first, which includes a couples expansions already. You can later transfer your character to other expansions as you buy them.

Has anyone played The Wolf Among Us? I've been reading a bit about it this morning, and it sounds pretty awesome.

I finished Episode 1 and about to start Ep2 tonight. Gonna try playing it with a controller.

I thought ep1 was amazing, and enjoyed it far more than the first episode of The Walking Dead (both seasons.) The atmosphere, the characters, the art, the fighting were all great. Definitely worth playing if you're into adventure games.

Now that sonic has controller support they really need to release a good iOS controller :/

But there already is a great iOS controller, it's called the Dualshock 3 :p (assuming you're jailbroken)

PittaGAF

That awesome moment when you unlock Capt. Triad (384) in Threes, finally regain the top of the chart among your friends, yell so loud you wake up wife and son and, smiling, you look their faces while they look at you like you were an idiot.

You actually realize you ARE an idiot, but you are happy.

That awesome moment when you unlock Capt. Triad (384) in Threes, finally regain the top of the chart among your friends, yell so loud you wake up wife and son and, smiling, you look their faces while they look at you like you were an idiot.

You actually realize you ARE an idiot, but you are happy.

DAMN!!!

NICE!

So close yet so far from a 768, only 50 people have one so far and no-one has managed higher yet
Clipboard01.jpg

Emarv

How are you guys so good at Threes? I'm barely in the early 1,000's and can't figure out how to get better. Maybe play slower?

That said, I love this music in this game. Have it just sitting playing right beside me right now :)

Stuneseht

Threes is a really great puzzle game and the music adds to the experience .
Question: are the numbers that come onto your board from the borders randomly placed or is there some kind of precedence?
Also, what determines whether you are going to get a standard white 3, 6, 12, 24...etc?

This video review from Classic Game Room (circa 2009) had me convinced.

I almost bought Elemental Asteroids but I'm guessing The Quest Gold is a better game to start with?
I would start with Undercroft. It's free, it makes The Quest games look like garbage, and in terms of accessibility it's on a whole other level.

Then again the main reason I hate The Quest is that, like most of those cookie cutter Korean aRPGs that end up being ported to iOS, they aren't in any way optimized and thus run like shit.

omg_mjd

I would start with Undercroft. It's free, it makes The Quest games look like garbage, and in terms of accessibility it's on a whole other level.

Then again the main reason I hate The Quest is that, like most of those cookie cutter Korean aRPGs that end up being ported to iOS, they aren't in any way optimized and thus run like shit.

Thanks I'll make sure to check out both games.

RustyO

For that price, you can't go wrong.

I nabbed it when it first came out, and it ended up being my biggest disappointment of last year. Though I know others like PittaGAF absolutely love it.

I don't know, I need to give it another (fair?) go, tried three times, had some tech issues initally, and it just never really grabbed me; I don't think I ever got past the first dungeon at all.

FIGHTING FANTASY SERIES game "Blood of the Zombies" is 90% off, on sale for only 99c down from circa $6

If you are into game books, I'd say grab it, as it is quite polished and well done.

It is unfortunately let down by the quality of the source material though... the book itself quite/extremely linear, and has a different combat system to most Fighting Fantasy books, thanks to the zombie/shooting mechanics, so you can get overwhelmed quite easily due to one or two bad rolls.

I've found the Tin Man adoptions to be pretty/very good, have BotZ and "FF10 : House of Hell"; yet to grab "FF02 : Forest of Doom" and "FF07 : Island of the Lizard King"

I think I read somewhere that "FF04 : Starship Traveller" is next?

Had a bunch of the FF books when I was young, and I'd happily snap a few up; but for me personally I don't grab them as I find them priced a bit over the whim/nostaliga price; and I just question some of the book selections though.

There is a lot stronger titles in the series that IMHO they should be porting, and they would be the ones that I would grab... Deathtrap Dungeon, Creature of Havoc, City of Thieves...

One day when all the Sorcery! books are out I'll grab those.

My current addiction is Only One
iTunes | Trailer
Push.gif
Whirlwind.gif

It's free but not really freemium. There is one currency and while there are some currency packs, buying the Ultimate Power pack IAP (doubler + ability to rebuild your character's skills) makes the progression feel perfect, so it's more like a free game with a $1.99 unlock

As for the game itself, it's great. There are 70 waves, a boss every 10 waves, and while the first handful feel more like tutorial battles, the game soon ramps up and puts your skills to the test. The slower combat mixed with the hectic waves of enemies reminds me of Mage Gauntlet, in that positioning, smart use of your abilities, and timing strikes is key to success rather than fancy combos. The enemies are varied and each require different tactics, and every new power or buff you unlock adds some new strategy to your repertoire. The stylish pixel graphics, the humorous vibe, and the music add to the overall polish.

I'd definitely recommend giving it a try

dream

Thanks for the recommendations RustyO.

Guys, how's Iesabel? It's once again on sale for a pittance

Seeing all those "7/10" reviews in its description makes me think it could go one of two ways: either they are a remarkably honest company, or it's a pretty shitty game and they were only able to cherry pick those scores to use in their promotion.

RM8

Anyone else likes Rail Racing? I bought it not expecting much, it's a fun take on Excite Bike :p I like. These Polarbit guys make quite polished stuff.

Furyous

I saw FF 6's price and did a double take. This made me reevaluate my gaming habits and I wanted to share my issue with everyone. At what point do you second guess a game's price in comparison to the value it offers? Deus Ex is more than worth it at $1 yet hard to justify, IMHO, at $7. That's still cheaper than almost $20 for some upper echelon games. Also, what's game you'd pay $30 for?

Due to getting burned by buying games and seeing price drops less than three months later, I'm waiting on the following to drop in price:

XCom
That ninja game that came out a few weeks back.
GTA: SA
That squeenix game set in Shibuya.
Broken Sword 5
Lili
Ace Attorney

RustyO

I saw FF 6's price and did a double take. This made me reevaluate my gaming habits and I wanted to share my issue with everyone. At what point do you second guess a game's price in comparison to the value it offers? Deus Ex is more than worth it at $1 yet hard to justify, IMHO, at $7. That's still cheaper than almost $20 for some upper echelon games. Also, what's game you'd pay $30 for?

Personally, my price point is $5. Anything above that I either just skip, or wait for a sale.
Off the top of my head, the most expensive game I got on iOS was Warhammer Quest at $5.50; and, that disappointed me; and King of Dragon Pass, worth every penny, and have it on PC as well.

In saying that, some of the best/justifiable experiences have come courtesy of free/$1 games (or whenever I nabbed them); Kingdom Rush/Frontiers; New Star Soccer etc.

I will stress that is at least a problem with my backlog, which is about 500 games across various systems at the moment... I've got games still in plastic for the PS2.... never mind all the other consoles/handhelds.

$30? None. But that is as much of the fault of the control scheme as anything else.

The World Ends With You

FatalT

Banned
Device 6 or Banshee's Last Cry? They're both $3.99. I'll get the other one after I finish whichever one I pick first. Help me GAF! I want some interactive storytelling in my life!

Sakujou

Banned
Personally, my price point is $5. Anything above that I either just skip, or wait for a sale.
Off the top of my head, the most expensive game I got on iOS was Warhammer Quest at $5.50; and, that disappointed me; and King of Dragon Pass, worth every penny, and have it on PC as well.

In saying that, some of the best/justifiable experiences have come courtesy of free/$1 games (or whenever I nabbed them); Kingdom Rush/Frontiers; New Star Soccer etc.

I will stress that is at least a problem with my backlog, which is about 500 games across various systems at the moment... I've got games still in plastic for the PS2.... never mind all the other consoles/handhelds.

$30? None. But that is as much of the fault of the control scheme as anything else.

The World Ends With You
currently replaying the world ends with you(a friend bought it, installed it on my ipad)

it plays a bit different and more sluggish than the ds version. but the style, music and battle is so fun. give it a try, the price is ok, but i still would feel ripped off, to pay for a digital version(the ios version looks also not as crisp as it should) so much money. i
my opinion is the same. 5bucks at more for some games.

i want to buy dodonpachi resurrection or maximum but these games are super expensive.

another friend has a jailbroken device, he has also some cracked games. wanted to ask, because these games are stuttering... is this because its jailbroken or is it just the game? it was an 4s with Infinity blade 3 and the other game was ddp resurrection.

Device 6 or Banshee's Last Cry? They're both $3.99. I'll get the other one after I finish whichever one I pick first. Help me GAF! I want some interactive storytelling in my life!

device 6. the peeps behind are gods of game creating. year walk was a blast for me, havent played device 6, but sneak beat bandit was also sweet!

Denis.Samael

Neo Member
It's old. From 2011. But multiplayer is pretty fun and even controls is good, despite virtual sticks and stuff. Playing it for hours now.

zm4kd2Wl.png

yJxoOgxl.png

heringer

Playing Mage Gauntlet in preparation for Wayward Saga.

Game is a little repetitive but they really nailed the controls. Very impressive.

Can't wait for WS, which will be much more challenging, have a more fleshed out combat system and different classes.

Due to getting burned by buying games and seeing price drops less than three months later, I'm waiting on the following to drop in price:

XCom
That ninja game that came out a few weeks back.
GTA: SA
Broken Sword 5
Lili
Ace Attorney

It has to do with the low cost of games, which makes us tend to stock up for later. This gives us big backlogs of games we hardly touch. Inevitably one of those games goes on sale before we've played it, and we feel kinda dumb. And we wanna avoid feeling dumb, so we get picky even at lower price points. Cheaper games makes gamers even more frugal.

The platform kinda does this too, because mobile devices are really well-suited to quick bursts of playing. And pricier games tend not to be that type,

For me, $.99 is almost like free, I barely think about it. Probably because I figure even if I only play it that afternoon, I got my money's worth. Also it's not likely to drop in price. These games also tend to be quick and easy, so I'm not likely to put off playing them.

At $4 I start googling reviews to make sure the game is good.

$5-$9 starts to be a harder sell for me, because these tend to be longer or more involved games that I'll likely put off for months and months. The exception would be asynchronous multiplayer board games which tend to be in this range.

I don't think I've ever bought a game on iOS for more than $10. Before I picked up XCOM on sale recently, my most expensive game was Oceanhorn which I've probably put one 90min session into (so I don't feel that good about the purchase). A lot of the Square ones look good to me, but I'll probably never pop on them because I know they'll just sit on my device unplayed for a long time. And for $15 I'd rather have a handful of Threes! experiences instead.

PFD

Device 6 is a puzzle game and is completely linear. Banshee's has many different endings but barely any puzzles (aside from solving the story). I loved Banshee's

Oh man I'm an idiot. I have been playing Threes for a while and just noticed they tell you what color is coming next. Just hit 7,000 as a result.

As far as tips - take it slow, think ahead, get rid of reds and blues and don't let reds be near reds or blues with blues. Don't go for big numbers too early. You want as many blocks around the same value as possible.

10,000 here I come.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think all this quibbling about prices is a bit gross really, although the race to the bottom with prices on iOS a few years back is as much to blame as anything else. If you don't see the value proposition in something like X-Com or Baldur's Gate then I don't know what to say really. Platform aside (and the irony of the expense of an Apple device does not escape me), full, long games should be allowed to charge somewhat of a premium. And it's not even that much, these games are still inexpensive compared to similar on consoles.

It feels like people are too interested in the meta-game of collecting and downloading games that they're overlooking the actual value of the games themselves as artifacts people have spent time and effort making and deserve payment for. But no, wait for the sale and download it to spent the requisite hour with before moving on. And then complain iOS games have no depth or something. smh

I think all this quibbling about prices is a bit gross really, although the race to the bottom with prices on iOS a few years back is as much to blame as anything else. If you don't see the value proposition in something like X-Com or Baldur's Gate then I don't know what to say really. Platform aside (and the irony of the expense of an Apple device does not escape me), full, long games should be allowed to charge somewhat of a premium. And it's not even that much, these games are still inexpensive compared to similar on consoles.

It feels like people are too interested in the meta-game of collecting and downloading games that they're overlooking the actual value of the games themselves as artifacts people have spent time and effort making and deserve payment for. But no, wait for the sale and download it to spent the requisite hour with before moving on. And then complain iOS games have no depth or something. smh
This. This so much. I'm an advocate for higher IOS prices. I don't think a developer's months of hard work and effort is only worth $1, $2, $5, etc., Especially when the same games would easily sell for more reasonably prices if they were on PC or consoles. This race-to-the-bottom mentality has really skewed how people consider a game's worth on IOS.

Because a game is on IOS, why should it be priced less?

SteveWD40

Fucking A to borrow a colonial term.

Synless

Sonic All-stars Transformed is fucking legit kart racing on my phone. My biggest complaint is the flight controls suck using touch.

Zodzilla

Figured out the strategy to Threes, always check the "next" tile, it will be placed in the opposite side of what you're swiping. Usually in the corner if there are numerous unclaimed spaces.

Just broke 7k this morning.

Zeth

I've got all but the few most difficult achievements in Hoplite and I'm still playing it a lot. Must have put in 10+ hrs this week. Great game. I'd love to see it expanded on.

omg_mjd

Bought The Quest Gold and Blood of the Zombies, plus downloaded Undercroft.

The Quest Gold runs well on my iPod, no performance issues. It's pretty amazing actually. Sure, it's old school but the aesthetics hold up well. And the writing is great. The game wouldn't be out of place if it was released as a full retail PC title in the 90's.

Undercroft feels more like a mobile game. I much prefer The Quest but Undercroft is free anyway and it's enjoyable as well for what it is.

Blood of the Zombies is super-polished. A real bargain for 99 cents. Playing it made me realize that the $6 asking price for the other gamebooks is pretty fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom