• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2014: It's Groundhog Day and we have Season Passes for Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heel

Anyone have some basic tips for Threes?

Control the grouping of your incoming 1s, 2s and white tiles by watching the color of the "next" button. The rest will fall in place in due time. Only concentrating on making big tiles will lead to scrambled 1s and 2s, which means wasted space, which then means your eventual failure. Making big tiles run into each other should almost be a byproduct of you concentrating on keeping 1s next to 2s, and incoming white tiles next to smaller white tiles.

That's my basic strategy, anyway. Just scored ~9,500.

Need some multiplayer game recommendations to play between my iPad and my friend's iPhone. I've been out of touch with iOS gaming, so don't know where to start.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
iZX2Tu2G3wJ6X.PNG

Pitta rubbing it in!

I was once #1 in my GC list but now I’m number #5. ;_;

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I'm about to give up on Threes, when I played without thinking I reached 2800, when I actually try to think about what I'm doing and follow the tips in this thread I barely get 1000. My brain is probably not wired for this. :/

PittaGAF

Damn you all - I'm yet to break above 2300 :(

I'm about to give up on Threes, when I played without thinking I reached 2800, when I actually try to think about what I'm doing and follow the tips in this thread I barely get 1000. My brain is probably not wired for this. :/

As long as you have fun, keep playing.

I've noticed that you score in 'bumps'...
First around 500, then 1K, then 3K, then 7K, then 10K, then...I do not know :)

Every 'character' you unlock is an exponential bump in the score....after a while it clicks.
I thought impossibile to score over 5K, now I score constantly around 7K.

The friend of mine who broke into 20K territory, was able to unlock the character next to 384, so he got a nice bump.

Now I'm trying to build the board to have various 192 around.

Mudo

I've got my first IPad ever on it's way today, (Mini retina 64GB), and I'm looking for some game recommendations. I know this gets brought up in the threads but poking around for a while and I was not able to find a list. I like most anything and so far on my list to get:

Xcom
World of Goo
Baldur's Gate 2
Eliss Infinity
Walking Dead
Hoplite
Threes
Shadowrun
Peggle
KOTOR

I have an Iphone also and have had for a long time. I'm just not sure what amazing games I've missed that can not be played on the phone but can on IPad?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've got my first IPad ever on it's way today, (Mini retina 64GB), and I'm looking for some game recommendations. I know this gets brought up in the threads but poking around for a while and I was not able to find a list. I like most anything and so far on my list to get:

Xcom
World of Goo
Baldur's Gate 2
Eliss Infinity
Walking Dead
Hoplite
Threes
Shadowrun
Peggle
KOTOR

I have an Iphone also and have had for a long time. I'm just not sure what amazing games I've missed that can not be played on the phone but can on IPad?

You have about 400 hours worth of gaming right there man, I'll tell you what I tell everyone - finish what's on your plate now. Stick around in here and you'll start to see games you're interested in pop up, but for now you've got a very very good selection there and you should actually play them. Otherwise what's the point?

Most of us iPad/iPhone people don't really pay attention to whether stuff is device exclusive, I couldn't tell you for sure. Games is games, all of them are better on iPad :)

Wunder

Just broke 7k in Threes while on the tube today, fucking amazing game. I agree that you hit ceilings/walls and jump up in score every so often. I used to get 3ks until I broke 5ks, then I hit a wall where I tried different things and went back to 1k. Hopefully I can get consistent 7ks, I unlocked 384, he's awesome.

Is Threes on the iPad different? Do you get a lot more movement, and as a result, a higher score?

PittaGAF

Is Threes on the iPad different? Do you get a lot more movement, and as a result, a higher score?

Same game, just bigger tiles, still amazing.

Actually, while it is the perfect game on iPhone, at home I play it on iPad Air because loading is MUCH faster (possibly the only fault I find in the game...it's a bit slow loading the Threes logo at the start, at least on a 4S).

Vyer

I finally hit 7K in Threes, but I need to get more GAFfers on my list I guess. Scoreboard seems a little light.

Mudo

You have about 400 hours worth of gaming right there man, I'll tell you what I tell everyone - finish what's on your plate now. Stick around in here and you'll start to see games you're interested in pop up, but for now you've got a very very good selection there and you should actually play them. Otherwise what's the point?

Most of us iPad/iPhone people don't really pay attention to whether stuff is device exclusive, I couldn't tell you for sure. Games is games, all of them are better on iPad :)

400 hours? LOL ok I'll just start with that list then. So for all of these games on my Iphone like the Kairosoft games, SE games (World Ends With You), etc, do they look good blown up on the IPad? Or is that not how it works. I'm not really sure what happens when you put something like Game Dev Story on a screen that size?

PFD

400 hours? LOL ok I'll just start with that list then. So for all of these games on my Iphone like the Kairosoft games, SE games (World Ends With You), etc, do they look good blown up on the IPad? Or is that not how it works. I'm not really sure what happens when you put something like Game Dev Story on a screen that size?

It depends, some games are universal, which means they have an optimized and slightly different interface between phones and tablets. If you see a "+" sign on the buy button on the AppStore, that means the app is universal. If it's not universal, it will simply get blown up to fill the iPad screen, which may not always be ideal, but it can be fine on some games.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Yeah man easily, BG2 is 100 hours at least, KOTOR another 50, Xcom probably 30-40. You're gonna have a good time there!

TWEWY will not work on your iPad because SE are greedy grubbing little bastards who locked it out of working across devices most unethically.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
3303 is my current high score for Threes. Wish it was 30 higher.

I'm right there with you. It was one of my first matches too, right after the game clicked with me. I haven't been able to top it since then, I feel like I'm somehow getting worse at the game.

It's awesome and deserving of all the praise, though. Mobile gaming perfection.

omg_mjd

Xcom
World of Goo
Baldur's Gate 2
Eliss Infinity
Walking Dead
Hoplite
Threes
Shadowrun
Peggle
KOTOR

Check out Warhammer Quest while it's on sale ($1). It's playable enough on my iPod but everything in the UI is a bit too small for comfort. No doubt it would play better on a larger screen.

Mudo

Yeah man easily, BG2 is 100 hours at least, KOTOR another 50, Xcom probably 30-40. You're gonna have a good time there!

TWEWY will not work on your iPad because SE are greedy grubbing little bastards who locked it out of working across devices most unethically.

Wow - super sad times re: TWEWY. So I'd have to buy it again to play on IPad? Well I would only do that if it's optimized for the bigger screen so I'll have to look into that.

Oh and Warhammer I rememeber I bought that when it came out. I'll look to see if I can play in on the IPad also, since apparently not everthing can. Really Square? WTF is that about?!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Check out Warhammer Quest while it's on sale ($1). It's playable enough on my iPod but everything in the UI is a bit too small for comfort. No doubt it would play better on a larger screen.

I'm playing it on my iPad right now. The only thing I don't like is that you have to tilt your iPad to portrait mode every time you need to access your inventory, the idea is neat in theory but feels really clumsy on an iPad (and I haven't seen any other way to access it).

PFD

Oh and Warhammer I rememeber I bought that when it came out. I'll look to see if I can play in on the IPad also, since apparently not everthing can. Really Square? WTF is that about?!

Pretty much every iPhone game can be played on iPad. TWEWY is an exception

Warhammer Quest is awesome!

I feel like that must be one of those things that's so obvious that I just can't make it work, ha—because I'm definitely aware of that, but I still can't seem to break 3500 at best.

I do think one of my problems is that I get into a weird little zone where I ignore the next tile for even just a couple turns, spacing out because there's some combination I want to make and I start moving toward it like 3 turns in advance—and I think that is sabotaging my scores. Gotta have discipline!

Whatever direction you swipe the tiles is where the next tile comes in. For example, if you swipe to the right, the next tile will come into one of the available spaces in the first column.
Oh...i thought you were talking about something else. I usually just try combine the 1's and 2's and not worry about the other numbers until later. I've scored 10,000 and in the 7,000's doing this. There probably is a better way though.

I bet my Threes high score last night.
I was sitting at 10,029 and now I've got 23,487. Pretty happy about that.

I wish I had gone slower once I got to the end though, probably could have gone longer.

I apparently have to check out this Threes game. I've been busy grinding out Xmen Battle of the Atom and Pocket Knights. Something aabout CCG's with RPG elements is apparently hitting the spot for me right now.

putermcgee

Xcom
World of Goo
Baldur's Gate 2
Eliss Infinity
Walking Dead
Hoplite
Threes
Shadowrun
Peggle
KOTOR

If you want a fun turn-based strategy game that works well on iPad, check out Outwitters.

sibarraz

Banned
I had a problem in game center, when all the games are listed in the screen, my achievement points are correct, but when I tap into a game I only get like 6 achievements in games where I had at least 20, somebody knows if this error is normal?

Arcayne

I had a problem in game center, when all the games are listed in the screen, my achievement points are correct, but when I tap into a game I only get like 6 achievements in games where I had at least 20, somebody knows if this error is normal?

Unfortunately normal. Annoys me to no end too.

So lets talk about Dungelot 2. Dungelot 1 was a really good little game until a balance update completely killed it (by removing all challenge).

Now it seems 2 is out (somewhere, not for Australia) and the screens look nice. However it is free... So tell me, how did they completely ruin it?

SteveWD40

So lets talk about Dungelot 2. Dungelot 1 was a really good little game until a balance update completely killed it (by removing all challenge).

Now it seems 2 is out (somewhere, not for Australia) and the screens look nice. However it is free... So tell me, how did they completely ruin it?

Seems like it was an accidental release.

As for the freemium, it has a stamina system that you can remove with a one off payment, which is fine with me.

PittaGAF

Damn, how much I HATE when in Threes you totally expect a 3 to spawn in the only free spot of the board in anticipation of the big chain reaction that leads to your second 384...only to get a 6 screwing up everything :(

I LOVE this game.
The more I play the more I 'see' the various strategies applicable.

Too bad that the more I try to strategize, the lower the score :p

PittaGAF

It was accidental.
According to the dev twitter, the game will be available worldwide 14 Feb.

Got Threes a few days ago because of the great reviews and forum impressions on Toucharcade and at first I was disappointed. While charming, there was a sense of "This is it?" But once I spent some time with the game, I saw the subtle depth of the puzzle solving.

What appears to be a simple random sliding game becomes a puzzler where logic and long-term planning is key. Considering your board, thinking about how a swipe will change your board and the possible places the next tile could fill, weighing combining two like tiles or saving them for later. Being able to "see the future" and see what kind of tile is coming next makes the gameplay less about reacting to what the next turn brings and more about planning how to use that foresight to your advantage.

The perfected touch interface and minimalist style only adds to the overall polish and combing two tiles into one is endlessly satisfying

I bought it and I must say that I am rather disappointed

the game is highly repetitive, lots of farming and it even push you to buy IAPs....

Still it is for sure of a certain quality and I am still getting some fun out of it, but I expected better.

SteveWD40

I bought it and I must say that I am rather disappointed

the game is highly repetitive, lots of farming and it even push you to buy IAPs....

Still it is for sure of a certain quality and I am still getting some fun out of it, but I expected better.

I am not going to defend it as it's an acquired taste, but:

Repetitive is fine when it's satisfying, the combat feels great, the Dungeons look great and (if you buy the IAP) the roster possibilities are pretty broad.

It has a level of polish far above most shit on iOS as well, it could easily be a PC indie title on Steam selling for £11.99 and no one would bat an eyelid.

The flavour text, lore and events just add to that board game feel (which it is, not an RPG). If you want an RPG grab BG2, it's the best ever made.

GWX

Damn, how much I HATE when in Threes you totally expect a 3 to spawn in the only free spot of the board in anticipation of the big chain reaction that leads to your second 384...only to get a 6 screwing up everything :(

I LOVE this game.
The more I play the more I 'see' the various strategies applicable.

Too bad that the more I try to strategize, the lower the score :p

This, but leading to my first 384 :lol Still couldn't make it appear (and to make it worse, my sister did it a couple of minutes ago, fuuuuu).

Threes is legit. One of the best iOS games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom