• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread March 2013: It's $1 per post, $5 for 8 posts or $10 for 20 posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

PittaGAF

Anyone else been playing Nimblequest in their browser? Game is an absolute blast. Can't wait for it to come out. It's being shut down tonight so if you haven't tried it yet, you should. It's linked on the home page of toucharcade.com

I tried it this morning and I had a blast too.
Looking forward it on the AppStore.

PFD

EA is Happy with Real Racing 3′s Freemium Model

There’s no question that going freemium was the right way to go. The vocal minority lashed out at freemium. We respect them and understand, but the market has spoken. That’s just where things are going.

Fuck off, EA.

real-racing-3-infographic.jpg

It's possibly quite telling that they rave about download numbers rather than revenue. A free game was always going to be downloaded more times, it doesn't mean anything.

HBP

I couldn't find a thread for the game but if anyone wants to play a game of Super Stickman Golf 2 send me an invite: kapshin.

Much to hate about EA these days, but I don't really have much issue with how they implemented stuff in this outside of it running like ass on anything but best stuff. Race a few times. Go do something else. Oddly enough, this is probably one of the more effective 'portable' structured game I've played.

I do kinda feel bored after upgrading up to the max of a few cars though. Add drifting modes or actual mp to spice things up.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's possibly quite telling that they rave about download numbers rather than revenue. A free game was always going to be downloaded more times, it doesn't mean anything.

Yeah, I don't quite get what there is to boast about. My coworker and I are playing and enjoying it, but we haven't spent a dime on the game either. How much money are they making on this Freemium game?

Much to hate about EA these days, but I don't really have much issue with how they implemented stuff in this outside of it running like ass on anything but best stuff. Race a few times. Go do something else. Oddly enough, this is probably one of the more effective 'portable' structured game I've played.

I do kinda feel bored after upgrading up to the max of a few cars though. Add drifting modes or actual mp to spice things up.
The 60fps on pretty much all iOS devices for Table Top Racing has me playing that way more than RR3. If it ran better, I would invest more time.

Aesthet1c

Any good tower defense games release in the last 6 months or so?

The last one I played was Kingdom Rush, and I loved that game. Now I'm kind of in the mood for a new one. Anyone got any suggestions?

Heel

The last one I played was Kingdom Rush, and I loved that game. Now I'm kind of in the mood for a new one. Anyone got any suggestions?

Just so you know, Kingdom Rush sequel this spring. Looks like they're aiming for April? One of the devs in February:

We are working very hard on this!
The game will have 9 new heroes and we changed the whole hero system , that's all I can say for now.
We will not release this game on June and if everything goes as expected we will not release it on May so do the maths and you will have an approximated date.

The 60fps on pretty much all iOS devices for Table Top Racing has me playing that way more than RR3. If it ran better, I would invest more time.
How is that? Been hearing mixed things. Does lack of controls make races dull?

On a side note, has there ever been a full controls iOS racing game with mt transmission, handbrakes etc?

PFD

On a side note, has there ever been a full controls iOS racing game with mt transmission, handbrakes etc?

I personally really enjoyed Table Top Racing. When it first came out, I remember many people here saying they didn't like, but I don't understand why. I thought controls well, runs smoothly, and looks pretty good.

Block Fortress is pretty good, but I'm not sure how I feel about the grinding for upgrade materials yet.

ToxicAdam

It's not iOS, but Cursed Treasure 2 is a flash game that is a very solid TD game with the same kind of aesethics as Kingdom Rush. If you liked KR, you will definitely like this one.

Aesthet1c

Awesome thanks for the recommendations guys!

I said the 6 month thing as kind of a general term because I've played a lot of the ones that have been out for a while. Guess I should have been broader, sorry about that!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
ib6eD5aTbZSRp.png

Challenge's Timeframe:

Starts March 8, 00:01 (AM) GMT
Ends: March 15, 23:45 (PM) GMT

Chosen Game:

fJxavjC.jpg

• TINY WINGS

Specific conditions/game modes:

• GAME MODE: DISTANCE TRAVELED in Chapter 1 "Day Trip"

Well, our seventh GAF's iOS Challenge is over!

•
As a nice way to wrap it up, we will also have a raffle with lil' prizes between all the guys who come in to comment/thanks SkyBound/Pikpok/whatever. between today (right now!) and tomorrow 11:59PM GMT.
Arrangements for the prizes, including the challenge's winners, will have to wait till tomorrow for the Euro guys :)
•

Many, many thanks go to user/dev Skybound from, well, Skybound Entertainment who offered the grand prize: that sweet The Walking Dead Volume 1 [episodes1/12] Hardbook Edition signed by noone other than THE MAN himself, series' creator Robert Kirkman! They've also offered 15 download codes for The Walking Dead Assault, which I urge you guys to try it out because... well, it's pretty cool!
Also thanks to the friends at Pikpok and Sidhe, Mario and Milla, who once again sponsored us by offering Twang The Fox codes and Shatter'a game/ost codes! Last but not least a round of applauseto kind gaffer
Pray For Death who offered a $10 iTunes card from his own pocket, sweet!

Also thanks to Tunesmith for all the help, really appreciated it mate!

Well, let's end this, shall we?

~
:drumrolls:
~

Congratulations to Tom Brook aka AngryMoth!

FULL RESULTS: 83 participants (1 retired) - Players listed as Game Center profiles

TOP 20
ibctgnaFE6qXlO.jpg

Full results have been posted in the specific GAF's iOS Challenge 7 |OT|

Boney

Banned
So how's an iPhone 4 as a gaming device? 4S costs a lot more so it's kinda out of my budget, but seeing my phone broke I might just splurge with a 4.

So how's an iPhone 4 as a gaming device? 4S costs a lot more so it's kinda out of my budget, but seeing my phone broke I might just splurge with a 4.

Just starting to show its age with some games. It'll still be more than fine for a while, but for example games like super hexagon will be better on a 4S or above.

Boney

Banned
Just starting to show its age with some games. It'll still be more than fine for a while, but for example games like super hexagon will be better on a 4S or above.

Wow super hexagon is that demanding? Well I guess it needs to be 60 fps without dips to actually work well.

So I mostly have a back catalogue of 2008-2012 in terms of releases? I had a regular 3G earlier that kinda chucked along but was fine for a few arcade ports and some score attack games.

I'd love to get some meatier games, how's Lunar on it?

soldat7

Hey crew, we have set Flick Kick Ireland to free to celebrate St Patrick's Day :)

Thanks, it's still available.

Any word on making the main game smooth again? It's stuttery on the iPad 3. The update in December was the culprit. There's a bunch of negative reviews that mention the same issues when you sort by "Most Critical"

Playing Ireland is silky smooth, but the main game is not. :(

Wow super hexagon is that demanding? Well I guess it needs to be 60 fps without dips to actually work well.

Yeah it is 99% ok, but that 1% where it stops for an instant will get you every time :|

If anything, you could get a iphone 4 and use the savings to get an ipad mini. Best of both worlds then.

okno

Happy Street is awesome! I've been playing Tapped Out for a few months now, but am completely burnt out on it for sooooo many reasons (primarily the fact that they now rub into your face how expensive all of the premium content is and they RELISH in it. Also, $3,000,000 for the escalator to nowhere? Fuck off. Oh, and a St. Patty's day storyline that is IMPOSSIBLE to complete without spending $20 on a fucking wishing well? Fuck you.) Happy Street is such a refreshing breath of fresh air. It's adorable, the sounds are awesome, it's not stindgy with flooz or money, I love it. If anyone wants to be friends, add me! My GC name is eirikist.

Flunkie

Banned
Happy Street is awesome! I've been playing Tapped Out for a few months now, but am completely burnt out on it for sooooo many reasons (primarily the fact that they now rub into your face how expensive all of the premium content is and they RELISH in it. Also, $3,000,000 for the escalator to nowhere? Fuck off. Oh, and a St. Patty's day storyline that is IMPOSSIBLE to complete without spending $20 on a fucking wishing well? Fuck you.) Happy Street is such a refreshing breath of fresh air. It's adorable, the sounds are awesome, it's not stindgy with flooz or money, I love it. If anyone wants to be friends, add me! My GC name is eirikist.
Oh no, another one..

Fuck yeah, though, Block Fortress update includes iCloud character level, unlocks, and rare minerals sync!!! These devs know what the fuck is up.

Boney

Banned
Yeah it is 99% ok, but that 1% where it stops for an instant will get you every time :|

If anything, you could get a iphone 4 and use the savings to get an ipad mini. Best of both worlds then.

I'll give it a look, but I'm not so sure!

Still, thanks for the help, you'll be seeing me around here!

I've really enjoyed it. Gets frantic once you get the fast cars. Love the feel to it and trying to find hidden short cuts.

Aw, I knew the museum in Happy Street would need crystals. If anyone wants to swap like 100 of their yellow/blue crystals for red ones, we can gift one another

Flunkie

Banned
Aw, I knew the museum in Happy Street would need crystals. If anyone wants to swap like 100 of their yellow/blue crystals for red ones, we can gift one another
I get in moods with Happy Street. One week I'm addicted, one week I'm on the verge of deleting it (again) because I find it so tedious. Like crafting a fucking wood plank for example. One stupid wood plank - 5 minutes.

I get in moods with Happy Street. One week I'm addicted, one week I'm on the verge of deleting it (again) because I find it so tedious. Like crafting a fucking wood plank for example. One stupid wood plank - 5 minutes.

I just craft those in batches when I'm doing something else on my iPad, so I open it for two seconds every five minutes to craft another when I get a notification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom