• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 should cost $1,500?

Theonik

They are at a level these days that even a few hundred dollar phone will do everything you need (unless you have very specific usage needs). Really, whats the practical difference between a $400 and $1000 phone these days? My friend got an LG G6 for $400 AUD last week. An iPhone 7 is over $1000 AUD. There are actually things the $400 phone does better than the $1000 iphone in this scenario, so it's not like the extra money means better everything.

I could understand if there was a huge difference in performance or a battery that lasts for several days, but I just don't see that level of difference these days. Cheap phones are insanely capable now.

The phone plan thing makes sense for why the sales are so high. I've cut that cord and couldn't be happier. I only wish phones lasted longer than a couple of years!
I mean, why do people pay more money for anything. Why do people buy more expensive cars when cheaper alternatives exist, why buy expensive clothes and shoes when you can buy whitelabel stuff from Tesco. Or something.

Phones aren't terribly expensive anyway. over 2 years the money is negligible. I bet I spend more money on softdrinks over that time.

IISANDERII

MING-CHI KUO SAYS NO TOUCH ID ON NEW OLED IPHONE

Speculation Regarding the Pricing of and Strategy Behind This Year’s New iPhones

[Margin analysis is a bit off; millions of people buy the 'old' iPhones each year even though it's 'only' a $100 cheaper than the newest iPhone...]

Samsung S8an specs (~$650):
5.8" curved edge-to-edge OLED display
Fingerprint Scanner
Iris Scanner
Waterproof
Wireless Charging
DeX desktop dock
Headphone Jack
MicroSD card
USB-C​

rumored iPhone J8sus specs (~$1,300)?
5.8" fullscreen OLED display
Fingerprint scanner
3D Face+Iris Scanner
Waterproof
Wireless Charging
Headphone Jack

rumored RED GodPhone specs (~$1,200)
5.7" Holographic display
Modular Attachments
Headphone Jack
MicroSD Card
USB-C​

Would you spend >$1,000 on an iPhone/Android Phone?
Would never spend anywhere near that for an iPhone, especially not if I'm having to tolerate fucking garbage iTunes and other things. I've been an iPhone user for many years and even $500 is too high.

I genuinely hope it costs more than $1500. Like way more. Partly out of curiosity to see what they come up with, but mainly for the meltdowns. This thread has been entertaining as hell.

I'll stick with my mid-range OnePlus 3. Has served me well so far!

Jisgsaw

I mean, why do people pay more money for anything. Why do people buy more expensive cars when cheaper alternatives exist, why buy expensive clothes and shoes when you can buy whitelabel stuff from Tesco. Or something.

In his example, the iPhone is more than double the price of the LG, with alledgedly very minor differences.
To take your analogy of cars, that would be the equivalent of going from a Megane/Golf/Focus to an A4 / Series 3 / C-Class, which is a pretty noticeable difference, starting with the objectively bigger trunk going to the better handling and superior finition.

Neo C.

My last phone was like $150 (Galaxy S5), I spend less than $50 per year for calling and SMS. I don't mind when you guys keep buying super expensive phones though, someone has to pay for all those R&D.

Jonnax

Well I was thinking of getting an iPhone again after having the original for 2.5 years then switching to Android.

But now, I ain't gonna pay a lot of money for the crap version of the phone.

And $1500 is way out of my budget.

Theonik

In his example, the iPhone is more than double the price of the LG, with alledgedly very minor differences.
To take your analogy of cars, that would be the equivalent of going from a Megane/Golf/Focus to an A4 / Series 3 / C-Class, which is a pretty noticeable difference, starting with the objectively bigger trunk going to the better handling and superior finition.
And if that's your example I would say the gap between an LG and the iPhone is exactly that!

Apple will just keep offering more expensive products until it finds the limit of what its customers are willing to pay.

That's what I find disturbing about the whole thing. There's no limit and if there is, it'll be something obscene, far more obscene than $1500 for a phone. People spend thousands of dollars to get their computers only to browse Facebook, take selfies in PhotoBooth and print tickets every now and again. I don't think it's right to exploit this weird unhealthy obsession some of their users have.

I suppose a fool and his money are easily parted, but it sucks knowing these people and their families could have some much needed money in the bank. At least among my circle where it's a real problem.

Jisgsaw

And if that's your example I would say the gap between an LG and the iPhone is exactly that!

I honestly wouldn't know (hence my "allegedly") I was only restating their argument.
Spec wise at least they seem relatively close; I'm not a fan at all of the Apple ecosystem myself, so I won't judge further than that.

I don't see it starting at more than $999, which will still be uncharted territory for a mainstream phone. Not sure about the Pro name. Might confuse people a bit and they might expect it to function with the Apple Pencil. Maybe they can hey away with that, though.

Anyhow, I don't see myself spending more than $500 on a phone every couple of years so I will stick with Android for the phone (as I still need a phone with Dual SIMs so I can use my SIM from back home here in Japan to access online banking).

I still get my iOS fix with my iPad Mini 2 (which sadly seem to be a dying breed). Don't really see any huge differences between iOS and the almost vanilla Android on my OP3. I am still slightly annoyed that iOS won't update apps when the screen is off, but otherwise no major complaints about either.

Theonik

I don't see it starting at more than $999, which will still be uncharted territory for a mainstream phone. Not sure about the Pro name. Might confuse people a bit and they might expect it to function with the Apple Pencil. Maybe they can hey away with that, though.
That's a good point actually. They could in fact make it work with the apple pencil.

tuxfool

Banned
Honestly it's about social status to me. Samsung lacks that. I mean I'm a millennial, if you don't have an iPhone you don't have shit and everyone basically silently agrees with this. I'm gonna eventually have to start buying two phones. One for show and one for function. But yeah it will sell easily at $1500. Every girl I know will have to have one. When I was in college if you made the text bubbles turn green everyone basically thought less of you.

Think Different
apparently.

Honestly it's about social status to me. Samsung lacks that. I mean I'm a millennial, if you don't have an iPhone you don't have shit and everyone basically silently agrees with this. I'm gonna eventually have to start buying two phones. One for show and one for function. But yeah it will sell easily at $1500. Every girl I know will have to have one. When I was in college if you made the text bubbles turn green everyone basically thought less of you.

I fail to see how this matters at all, but it makes me really sad that you actually think this way.

America is weird.

Vuze

That's a good point actually. They could in fact make it work with the apple pencil.
Eh idk. The display isn't that large. Not very suitable for artists and too little room taking notes with the pencil or use it to fine control UI in pro software. I don't see it happening.

Zee-Row

Banned

Fuck what people think.

Theonik

Eh idk. The display isn't that large. Not very suitable for artists and too little room taking notes with the pencil or use it to fine control UI in pro software. I don't see it happening.
It's about the size of the notepad for something like the iPhone 7 Plus. I could sketch on that.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Dude, you're 24. I'm not sure how you've maintained this perception to this age. Have you traveled abroad? If not do it, but in a safe area.

People come in all types. Lots of rich people have Apple products. So do a ton of poor people in debt.

Professors tend to use Apple for nostalgia or for a period OSX because you can install brew and pretend youre developing on Linux. Or they just like Apple.

Patriots7

I liked the part about looking down on people without iphones then proceeding to leave someone out of a group text for an assignment at their likely expensive school just to save a few cents in texts assuming they even go over their limit.
It's not just saving a few cents. There are features that you can't access in non-iMessage group chats.

It's also convenient being able to respond to group chats from my MacBook if I'm charging my phone or respond when using Wi-Fi, etc..

I don't think it's as bad as some have stated, but we also regularly leave people out of group chats if they have an Android phone.

GKnight

Banned
I wouldn't take an iPhone for free tbh, except to sell it for profit.
Suprised at the apple love.

The fact that this 1300$ iPhone still wouldn't have a micro SD slot or a removable battery is freaking hilarious. And people want to spend for this?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Phones aren't terribly expensive anyway. over 2 years the money is negligible. I bet I spend more money on softdrinks over that time.

The middle sized Iphone 7 on apples own upgrade program is almost £40 per month. That’s with no plan - just the phone.

While it might be a manageable amount of money, it’s competing with other things each month for your money - like rent, and food. It all adds up.

Theonik

The middle sized Iphone 7 on apples own upgrade program is almost £40 per month. That’s with no plan - just the phone.

While it might be a manageable amount of money, it’s competing with other things each month for your money - like rent, and food. It all adds up.
£40 a month is really not much compared to one's average expenditures but that's of course always going to be down on priorities.

GKnight

Banned

Except in this case the focus has an expandable trunk and far more customization options.

KSweeley

Here's a rumored mockup of the upcoming iPhone, who would want a phone like this???

iJJI0Bc.jpg

RowdyReverb

It would be interesting to see what kind of tech they could put into an iPhone when they throw cost considerations out the window

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this is probably the most depressing thing I will read this week.

KSweeley

Look at this report: https://500ish.com/apple-prime-and-the-iphone-pro-40d970060c8b

The uproar over Gruber’s post is mainly predicated around how no one will want to pay over $1,000 for a phone. Which is hogwash, of course. People will pay.

As Gruber notes, for many folks — myself included — the iPhone is the most important computer they own. If someone can afford to pay for an improved iPhone — and cost/price is something to be mindful of, but this is a typical question for Apple since, well, forever — they will. And for those people, it will be worth it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Of course it's going to be over 1000.

A 256GB 7+ is $969 dollars.

We can safely assume that since it has a better screen of the same size of the plus, and the camera module from the plus, we will be starting in that band.

So let's s also assume that 128gb is the minimum spec.

The 7+ is 869. I think 999 is a practical sure thing. The floor of the pricing - and we could easily see 1099/1199 or 1199/1299. And if they do a 512 version that'll probably see a 200 increase over the 256.

I mean, if the 8+ starts at 869... how could the Pro not be anything less than 999?

ironmang

It's not just saving a few cents. There are features that you can't access in non-iMessage group chats.

It's also convenient being able to respond to group chats from my MacBook if I'm charging my phone or respond when using Wi-Fi, etc..

I don't think it's as bad as some have stated, but we also regularly leave people out of group chats if they have an Android phone.

He said it was about the money which is why I replied the way I did. Still though, if you're serious about your education then you wouldn't leave someone in your group in the dark. Like how would you explain that level of laziness to a professor if they found out?

Husker86

MMS groups really suck, man. It’s not about the cost, iMessage group chats and MMS chats ain’t even comparable in features/QOL.

This is true, but I don't see this as a defense to iMessage, I see it as a reason not to use it. It seems like you're setting yourself up for failure if you are relying on everyone you talk to to always use the Apple messaging platform to have a decent messaging experience.

rambis

Banned
Usually, come September when a new iPhone launches, it's the best and fastest phone at the time. The 64-bit A... processors that Apple put in are absolute screamers, so fast. Anandtech benchmarks show us this every year.
This isnt significant or due to any Apple magic or whatever. Their phones launch 5-6 months after the other strongest flagship. Yet another basic computing principle being mistaken by some Apple wizardwy.

oti

Banned

Stop drinking softdrinks you animal.

LeleSocho

Banned
This isnt significant or due to any Apple magic or whatever. Their phones launch 5-6 months after the other strongest flagship. Yet another basic computing principle being mistaken by some Apple wizardwy.

???????????????????
Your post would make sense if they didn't use the same process node but they do so what the heck are you talking about? It's not like Apple engineers have more than a year to design a chip.

To further prove that Apple processor architects are stupidly better than anybody else in the mobile space the A10X SoC which is used in current iPad Pro (so released at the same time of whatever Android use this year) is smaller than the one used in the iPhone 7, is clocked almost identically (aka could fit into a phone no problem) and smokes every Exynos/Snapdragon/Mediatek in circulation... the A11 is supposedly either more powerful at the same power consumption or just as powerful but more energy efficient.
Heck the A10 on 16nm featured the iPhone 7 is within spitting distance from the Snapdragon 835 on 10nm of all 2017 Android flagships.

One can hate on iPhones and Apple all they want but arguing on their capabilities on making mobile processor with leading performance and energy efficiency is not only straight up false but not smart at all.

And when the next competing chipset comes out it barely surpasses a 6 month old chip from apple.

Face it. Apple makes the best socs.

mackattk

Yep. Grab a refurbished V20/Moto Z Play for $300 and call it a day.

Preferably the V20 so you're not at the mercy of a non-replacable battery.

Fixed that for you. Moto Z Play is hands down the best phone I have ever used. Does everything I need it to do, plays all the games fine, no lag/slowdown, incredible battery life. Sure there are some spots where it could use improvement (wireless charging/waterproof) but those things are way down on my wishlist.

A $1500 phone is fucking insane. Hell, $800 is getting there as well. At around that price point you are paying extra for the name brand, and maybe some build quality/optimizations.

For Apple, just give me an iPhone SE 2 for under $500 and I will be happy.

8byte

Banned
Yep, pretty sad really.

Is it sad?

What's worse. Someone justifying their tastes to themselves or others, or someone randomly coming in threads shitting on people for their preference, and then calling them "sad" as some act of superiority?

Think it over.

Edit: just to offer my thoughts: to me personally, $1,500 is nuts...but if someone has that cash or lease option, more power to them. Enjoy your phone, I'll get one in a year or so when the prices drop and a new model is announced.

Top Bottom