• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 should cost $1,500?

I mean, if I’m being real for a second, I use my phone far more than I use my computer. My phone IS a computer. It does stuff my computer can’t, like control smart accessories and track some health metrics. I drop $1,500 on a laptop for myself, don’t know why a similarly expensive phone that I use for multiple hours per day every single day without fail is out of the equation.

Jimrpg

I mean, if I’m being real for a second, I use my phone far more than I use my computer. My phone IS a computer. It does stuff my computer can’t, like control smart accessories and track some health metrics. I drop $1,500 on a laptop for myself, don’t know why a similarly expensive phone that I use for multiple hours per day every single day without fail is out of the equation.

Because there are cheaper options that do the same thing for way less? Like you can get Xiaomis for $100-300 and $300 is like a top of the line phone.

The gap has really narrowed for most users, I don't think these are bad phones.

However most people are just going to buy what they know or are comfortable with. And of course the status symbol thing.

Because there are cheaper options that do the same thing for way less? Like you can get Xiaomis for $100-300 and $300 is like a top of the line phone.

The gap has really narrowed for most users, I don't think these are bad phones.

However most people are just going to buy what they know or are comfortable with. And of course the status symbol thing.

Sure, and I get that, but I don’t buy $300 laptops either. I look for more. They DO the same stuff (I don’t game on my laptops) but it’s definitely not the same experience. I get the value proposition is not the same for everyone, but i would be unhappy with a $300 laptop like I would be unhappy with a $300 phone. The core of both is the same, but it’s the added marginal benefits that make a difference

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You think I'm going to respond reasonably to someone saying they don't associate with people who don't use iPhones? It's absolute insanity.

My work phone is a 7 and I deployed hundreds of them. No electronic is worthy of such insane adherence and cultist type behavior.

Cute that stating facts makes me an Android fanboi too.

You don't have to respond at all to the posts that were very obviously stupid.

I'm not taking the "lol Apple" throwaway posts seriously either.

This phone needs to being something completely different and initiative to justify that cost. If history tells us anything about iPhone iterations is that it's going to be running the same software and apps as the older phones. It's probably not worth being an early adopter with this one

illamap

Sure, and I get that, but I don’t buy $300 laptops either. I look for more. They DO the same stuff (I don’t game on my laptops) but it’s definitely not the same experience. I get the value proposition is not the same for everyone, but i would be unhappy with a $300 laptop like I would be unhappy with a $300 phone. The core of both is the same, but it’s the added marginal benefits that make a difference

300 dollar laptops aren't nearly as good as 1000 dollar laptop. Especially screen, storage, processor speed and build quality is much better, Now compare 1500 dollar iphone to say 150 dollar redmi note 4, only camera is noticeably better as is ip67 resistance and in fact note 4 would probably beat 1500 dollar iphone in battery life.

But yes i would get 1500 dollar iphone if the price of it was justified in bill of materials and r&d costs, for example it would be good value if they developed new battery tech with say twice density and much less degredation from charging.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
300 dollar laptops aren't nearly as good as 1000 dollar laptop. Especially screen, storage, processor speed and build quality is much better, Now compare 1500 dollar iphone to say 150 dollar redmi note 4, only camera is noticeably better as is ip67 resistance and in fact note 4 would probably beat 1500 dollar iphone in battery life.

But yes i would get 1500 dollar iphone if the price of it was justified in bill of materials and r&d costs, for example it would be good value if they developed new battery tech with say twice density and much less degredation from charging.

There's definitely some diminishing returns at play.

Grazzt

The only thing that keeps me from switching to Samsung is the iOS. And Samsung phones always have better specs and technologies with lower prices. If iPhone 8 is this expensive without anything "inovative", then it's time to say bye bye.

Ascenion

Dude was in here two pages ago saying he literally wouldn't associate with people that didn't use Apple products.

The cult is real.

I feel like you're talking about me. I don't recall saying I wouldn't associate with non iPhone users, I do remember you saying you wouldn't associate "with tools like me".

Jimrpg

Sure, and I get that, but I don't buy $300 laptops either. I look for more. They DO the same stuff (I don't game on my laptops) but it's definitely not the same experience. I get the value proposition is not the same for everyone, but i would be unhappy with a $300 laptop like I would be unhappy with a $300 phone. The core of both is the same, but it's the added marginal benefits that make a difference

I think $300 laptops are vastly inferior to even say like a $600 laptop... screens are just total crap and many of them are 720p and have bad CPUs, storage etc.

But if you compare the Xiaomi 5/6 to an iPhone 7, I think they are pretty darn close.

You really move up a level when you go from a $300 to a $600 laptop.

Obviously there's huge brand appeal with Apple, but man I'm really tilting towards Android as my next phone, because I don't think the price difference is worth it to get the latest Apple phone. I'm going to be sad not to be getting an Apple Watch, but I'll live.

Already got my father a Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x for about US$180 - i was really impressed with it. It was a REDmi (their budget brand) and felt pretty premium. The screen quality and colours weren't as good as a flagship, but the screen/camera isn't worth $500-600 more either. If people are looking for a phone for typical usage its a nice phone. For me I'll probably get the Huawei Leica, it looks like that's got a pretty nice camera on it and that's the most important feature for me, and is about $500, so its still a cheaper than the latest iPhone.

I'm sure the iPhone 8 will be immense and itll be the best phone of all time, I don't know if I'll spend that much on a phone when I only use the basic functions.

LOL you said exactly what i said.

illamap

I really like iMessage. It's strange that google hasn't implemented a similar universal messaging app.

It would be really for united states customers, since whatsapp won when it comes to the rest of the world. US has cheap text messages and expensive data and vice versa is true for the rest of the world mostly.

I feel like you're talking about me. I don't recall saying I wouldn't associate with non iPhone users, I do remember you saying you wouldn't associate "with tools like me".

Honestly it's about social status to me. Samsung lacks that. I mean I'm a millennial, if you don't have an iPhone you don't have shit and everyone basically silently agrees with this. I'm gonna eventually have to start buying two phones. One for show and one for function. But yeah it will sell easily at $1500. Every girl I know will have to have one. When I was in college if you made the text bubbles turn green everyone basically thought less of you.

That mindset is fucking nuts, dude.

You associate with awful people if you don't think this as well.

Seriously, get help. It's a phone. I've got like 4 of them. I'd rather use an old Nokia brick.

Beeks

Honestly it's about social status to me. Samsung lacks that. I mean I'm a millennial, if you don't have an iPhone you don't have shit and everyone basically silently agrees with this. I'm gonna eventually have to start buying two phones. One for show and one for function. But yeah it will sell easily at $1500. Every girl I know will have to have one. When I was in college if you made the text bubbles turn green everyone basically thought less of you.

You went to rich schools. I was literally the only person in my friend circle who had an iPhone for a while, everyone else was Android, webOS, Blackberry, or just a dumbphone (dating myself here). Eventually, I switched to Android, and towards the end of school, a few others got iPhones, but the whole "if you're not a blue bubble you're scum" thing has never made sense to me. I guess my classmates were too busy scraping by on Pell grants and any after-class job they could get to care what type of phone we used, as long as it worked.

dopplr

A phone is a phone, whatever the current generation phones can do, the ones of past generations could do as well. There's little benefit in upgrading phones, let alone dropping $1500 on a phone.

At some point, you need to realize you're spending money on a product you don't really need.

Floex

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Fuzzery

Wtf? The people around you sound like tools, no offense

How old are you, just curious?

A phone is a phone, whatever the current generation phones can do, the ones of past generations could do as well. There's little benefit in upgrading phones, let alone dropping $1500 on a phone.

At some point, you need to realize you're spending money on a product you don't really need.

So says you, on a gaming forum

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The rumours keep going backwards and forwards, looking more likely than less likely at the moment I'd say. The case leaks usually give quite a bit away. Once it gets in production we'll know it all soon enough.

Not sure that will work this time. No physical touch button, and if the touchID was under the screen it wouldn’t show externally so case leaks wouldn’t help. The rumours suggest an oddly large power button though which many are ignoring. Maybe that’s their fallback position if they can’t get it working under the screen? Or use the power button as a replacement home button (you still need a way to quit an app, and if the whole screen is being used by the app, how do you do that?)

Lynd7

Yeah the mindset above is dumb and I've only ever used Apple products.

To me though, Apple has become so unexciting, drab and kinda uncool. They have lost that cool factor they had during the 2000's.

Ascenion

That mindset is fucking nuts, dude.

You associate with awful people if you don't think this as well.

Seriously, get help. It's a phone. I've got like 4 of them. I'd rather use an old Nokia brick.

I'm just stating what I've seen. Particularly in college. Apple dominates. It's more out of place to see an android handset. It's not bad but people look, ask out loud what kind of phone it is.

You went to rich schools. I was literally the only person in my friend circle who had an iPhone for a while, everyone else was Android, webOS, Blackberry, or just a dumbphone (dating myself here). Eventually, I switched to Android, and towards the end of school, a few others got iPhones, but the whole "if you're not a blue bubble you're scum" thing has never made sense to me. I guess my classmates were too busy scraping by on Pell grants and any after-class job they could get to care what type of phone we used, as long as it worked.

I wouldn't say I went to a rich school but maybe I did. I just know 9 times out of 10 my classmates had iPhones with maybe 3 Galaxy phones. If you turned your head in a class of 300 you'd see a shit ton of macs to match. iPhones were less prevalent in high school for me but it's what everyone wanted. The OG Droid was considered settling. College was basically Apple land.

Wtf? The people around you sound like tools, no offense

How old are you, just curious?
I'm 24. I shit you not, I graduated in 2016, I had a 6 person group assignment and they left one guy off the group text because he caused them to use their text messages. He'd find out things the next day or so in class.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I really like iMessage. It's strange that google hasn't implemented a similar universal messaging app.

iMessage is really irritating in a world where you need to communicate with people that have both iOS devices and android -not that uncommon to have an android phone and an iPad. Then you have the person appearing twice in messages and have to figure out which one to send the message to. Apple should really make an iMessage app - a messaging app that is iOS specific is bloody stupid.

And it’s not that amazing anyway -I’ve not noticed anything it does particularly better than WhatsApp or whatever apps my kids force me to use to message them

KillLaCam

Banned

What? Is this really what people do now? How is buying a phone a status symbol? You could easily go out for dinner for more money than that excuse for a status status symbol. Especially for the launch price of any current IPhone. Even people who couldn't afford a good phone up front could just buy it on a subsidy?

I'm not even trying to be offensive but if I am my bad, That's a sad status symbol though. I've spent more money going out for lunch. Go buy some Loro Piana apparel or something. Even some Hermes boxers would be more impressive because of how random it was (I think they're just $400 right now too).

Edit: This went super off topic. Sorry everyone, I was just confused.

Imessage is the main thing I miss from Iphone though. It was so convenient in the US

Fuzzery

I'm just stating what I've seen. Particularly in college. Apple dominates. It's more out of place to see an android handset. It's not bad but people look, ask out loud what kind of phone it is.

I wouldn't say I went to a rich school but maybe I did. I just know 9 times out of 10 my classmates had iPhones with maybe 3 Galaxy phones. If you turned your head in a class of 300 you'd see a shit ton of macs to match. iPhones were less prevalent in high school for me but it's what everyone wanted. The OG Droid was considered settling. College was basically Apple land.

I'm 24. I shit you not, I graduated in 2016, I had a 6 person group assignment and they left one guy off the group text because he caused them to use their text messages. He'd find out things the next day or so in class.

That's messed up. I could understand if it was like high school or something and the kids not don't know any better, but college kids? Smh

Ascenion

What? Is this really what people do now? How is buying a phone a status symbol? You could easily go out for dinner for more money than that excuse for a status status symbol. Especially for the launch price of any current IPhone. Even people who couldn't afford a good phone up front could just buy it on a subsidy?

I'm not even trying to be offensive but if I am my bad, That's a sad status symbol though. I've spent more money going out for lunch. Go buy some Loro Piana apparel or something. Even some Hermes boxers would be more impressive because of how random it was (I think they're just $400 right now too).

Imessage is the main thing I miss from Iphone though. It was so convenient in the US

I mean like I said I'm a millennial/90s kid. The iPhone dropped my freshman year of high school. I can remember kids begging their parents to switch to AT&T just to get it and some people not being able to afford all of that while some got one. That mindset carried through to college at least in my experience. It was just way more subtle usually. You just kinda notice everyone's got a MacBook or rather the people with MacBooks carry them to class to be seen or those that don't type on iPads.

That's messed up. I could understand if it was like high school or something and the kids not don't know any better, but college kids? Smh

For some people college is just 16th grade. I had a decent experience but I've seen and experienced some petty grade school shit. 21 is just 17 with legal drinking privileges.

Ennosuke

I know this is only GAF here, but the way people spend their money on apple smartphones and think they are a superior human being, says a lot about the current state of humanity.

Jimrpg

I know this is only GAF here, but the way people spend their money on apple smartphones and think they are a superior human being, says a lot about the current state of humanity.

I don't think its that they want to be superior. It's more a keeping up with the Jones type thing. Nobody wants to get odd looks from people.

I have no problem getting odd looks from anyone.

KillLaCam

Banned
I mean like I said I'm a millennial/90s kid. The iPhone dropped my freshman year of high school. I can remember kids begging their parents to switch to AT&T just to get it and some people not being able to afford all of that while some got one. That mindset carried through to college at least in my experience. It was just way more subtle usually. You just kinda notice everyone's got a MacBook or rather the people with MacBooks carry them to class to be seen or those that don't type on iPads.
Woah, that's harsh. I'm a 90's kid too. I remember people people preferring IPhones but it never seemed like people were looking down on anyone who had a different phone. The most that would happen would be some small jokes from both sides. But we joked about EVERYTHING. The only thing I could see people looking down on other people was when it involved shoes haha. I have no idea about Macbooks in High-school though, we couldn't bring them to class so there was no point in bringing them to school.

In college I saw people with all types of laptops . The only time I'd see a bunch of Macbooks was in Starbucks. Nobody would use any tablet other than an IPad though. But I think the IPad is the best tablet by far. I wouldn't judge anyone for using another tablet but I don't think any other one is worth it (Maybe Microsoft Surface Pro but those seem redundant to me).

I hope people being looked down on based on something as small as their tech choice isn't a common thing though.

Why is that significant? There's a variety of phones available, and maybe people are just genuinely curious.

I've owned two HTC phones and am currently using a Sony Xperia Z5, and have asked that question in the past.

ironmang

I liked the part about looking down on people without iphones then proceeding to leave someone out of a group text for an assignment at their likely expensive school just to save a few cents in texts assuming they even go over their limit.

I liked the part about looking down on people without iphones then proceeding to leave someone out of a group text for an assignment at their likely expensive school just to save a few cents in texts assuming they even go over their limit.

MMS groups really suck, man. It’s not about the cost, iMessage group chats and MMS chats ain’t even comparable in features/QOL.

Ascenion

Woah, that's harsh. I'm a 90's kid too. I remember people people preferring IPhones but it never seemed like people were looking down on anyone who had a different phone. The most that would happen would be some small jokes from both sides. But we joked about EVERYTHING. The only thing I could see people looking down on other people was when it involved shoes haha. I have no idea about Macbooks in High-school though, we couldn't bring them to class so there was no point in bringing them to school.

In college I saw people with all types of laptops . The only time I'd see a bunch of Macbooks was in Starbucks. Nobody would use any tablet other than an IPad though. But I think the IPad is the best tablet by far. I wouldn't judge anyone for using another tablet but I don't think any other one is worth it (Maybe Microsoft Surface Pro but those seem redundant to me).

I hope people being looked down on based on something as small as their tech choice isn't a common thing though.

All of my professors that brought in their personal computers had Macs. When I was in elementary school and for most of middle the computers were all macs. Maybe it's a North Carolina thing I don't know. But yeah tablet wise it was always iPads never anything else. Apple was basically my childhood so perhaps my view and experience is atypical. I wouldn't say my county was rich but yeah we learned about computers on those colorful Macs.

Why is that significant? There's a variety of phones available, and maybe people are just genuinely curious.

I've owned two HTC phones and am currently using a Sony Xperia Z5, and have asked that question in the past.
It is usually more of a "What the hell is that?" And less of a " I've never seen that before, what is it?"

ironmang

MMS groups really suck, man. It's not about the cost, iMessage group chats and MMS chats ain't even comparable in features/QOL.

People used to coordinate group assignments before texting, facebook, AIM, and even the internet. I'm sure these college kids can deal with a slight downgrade. Besides, he said it was precisely about the cost.

Ash735

So Ascension, curious question, but do you guys know WhatsApp? Or is that some mysterious thing college kids in suburban white America don't know about?

Ninja Dom

The only thing that keeps me from switching to Samsung is the iOS. And Samsung phones always have better specs and technologies with lower prices. If iPhone 8 is this expensive without anything "inovative", then it's time to say bye bye.

Usually, come September when a new iPhone launches, it's the best and fastest phone at the time. The 64-bit A... processors that Apple put in are absolute screamers, so fast. Anandtech benchmarks show us this every year.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are texts limited in the US? These days pretty much any plan in the UK has unlimited texts. It’s only the annoying picture messages that cost money and I think you can set your phone to not send those

Are texts limited in the US? These days pretty much any plan in the UK Hara’s in,United texts. It’s only the annoying picture messages that cost money and I think you can set your phone to not send those

I would say 99% if not all plans in the US offer unlimited texts and MMS messages. It’s data that is restricted to tiers and finite amounts

Ascenion

So Ascension, curious question, but do you guys know WhatsApp? Or is that some mysterious thing college kids in suburban white America don't know about?

Personally in my group of close friends we generally use Facebook messenger. I don't text people back really and unless it's work related I don't do calls. Facebook is generally open on my computer so that's what we use.

If you're referring to college kids in general with regards to my anecdote I really couldn't tell you. I know what it [whatsapp] is, I've used it and Line before really don't care for them personally. And I'll be honest her saying that caught me off guard. I remember asking myself if phones even had plans without unlimited talk and texts anymore.

Top Bottom