• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is HOT RYU™ the most significant event in videogame history?

Is HOT RYU™ the most significant event in videogame history?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I love this thread. Mostly cause it's people talking about beards.
When I saw the new costume I thought he looked better, but it's still not the guy I go for (needs body hair on chest and arms, a lot less muscle). I would still use it over the default, hope it's not locked for ever behind a preorder bonus.
I'm feeling more the concept art from SFIV, wish he had body hair. This is a great thread, I love you guys.

The next step would be to release this as DLC, I just want to hear straight males say "uughh that is too much".
tumblr_ma1rhpCS2l1rqnytio1_540.jpg

Steel

Banned
When I saw the new costume I thought he looked better, but it's still not the guy I go for (needs body hair on chest and arms, a lot less muscle). I would still use it over the default, hope it's not locked for ever behind a preorder bonus.
I'm feeling more the concept art from SFIV, wish he had body hair. This is a great thread, I love you guys.

The next step would be to release this as DLC, I just want to hear straight males say "uughh that is too much".

In fairness, even the sexualized females in modern Street Fighter have several extra layers of muscle.

Honestly though, I doubt the pict you're showing would go down badly.

Trickster

I look better with a beard too, I'm just saying that example wasn't a good one for those reasons. The guy looks better with a beard, but on the same conditions he wouldn't look as bad without it.

Fair enough

These are kinda doctored though.

Small editorial changes aside, It's still valid with regard to how a beard can change the look of someone, often for the better. Like I said in my last post, this even applies to me if I just get some stubble versus being clean shaven

It's not equality if the two sides aren't starting on equal ground. Let's not act like the exploitation of women isn't a mountain compared to the pebble that represents the exploitation of men. Let's not ignore 2000+ years of marginalization of women, and the patriarchal structure of society that affects everything from the social messaging that conditions children in acceptable ways to express their gender, to how much women are paid compared to their male peers, to portrayals of women in media.

Basically. Putting a man in a speedo doesn't just automatically make something equal opportunity. That's like saying having a huge variety of hilarious stereotypes in Street Fighter means none of them can be offensive, or having a black main character means the context of a game can't be racist.

Gbraga

I get that, but I was talking specifically about the quality of the in-game models.

It's not equality if the two sides aren't starting on equal ground. Let's not act like the exploitation of women isn't a mountain compared to the pebble that represents the exploitation of men. Let's not ignore 2000+ years female marginalization of women, and the patriarchal structure of society that affects everything from the social messaging that conditions children in acceptable ways to express their gender, to how much women are paid compared to their male peers, to portrayals of women in media.

I completely agree with you on principle, but for Mika specifically, a lot of the criticism did came off as a bit hypocritical, which is why I'm assuming most people who gave Capcom shit for her didn't know she was a returning character, because that's what makes it hypocritical. You know, what happened to "lol, no one is trying to take away your tits and ass, you fucking horny teenager, we just want more new stuff"? With Mika it seemed an awful lot like people wanting to take away the tits and ass that were always there, with stuff like "ffs, Capcom, it's 2015, redesign that shit" thrown around. And I don't even like her design, I was hoping for a redesign as well, but getting pissed because she didn't get one (when most of the cast didn't get a major redesign so far) seems like quite a bit unfair to me. I'm just hoping for better alts.

I was expecting a lot more people upset that Cammy's alt didn't have pants either than Mika looking like Mika. And I would support them.

tumblr_ma1rhpCS2l1rqnytio1_540.jpg

Do you think people would really be upset about a character looking like this? That's pretty tame.

Monocle

I completely agree with you on principle, but for Mika specifically, a lot of the criticism did came off as a bit hypocritical, which is why I'm assuming most people who gave Capcom shit for her didn't know she was a returning character, because that's what makes it hypocritical. You know, what happened to "lol, no one is trying to take away your tits and ass, you fucking horny teenager, we just want more new stuff"? With Mika it seemed an awful lot like people wanting to take away the tits and ass that were always there, with stuff like "ffs, Capcom, it's 2015, redesign that shit" thrown around. And I don't even like her design, I was hoping for a redesign as well, but getting pissed because she didn't get one (when most of the cast didn't get a major redesign so far) seems like quite a bit unfair to me. I'm just hoping for better alts.

I was expecting a lot more people upset that Cammy's alt didn't have pants either than Mika looking like Mika. And I would support them.
Ah. I wasn't aware of that background context regarding Mika.

These are kinda doctored though.
He goes from "My backseat. Now." to "STAY AWAY FROM MY CHILDREN!" to "Maybe after a couple more drinks."

Dat doctoring.

ZdkDzk

It's not equality if the two sides aren't starting on equal ground. Let's not act like the exploitation of women isn't a mountain compared to the pebble that represents the exploitation of men. Let's not ignore 2000+ years of marginalization of women, and the patriarchal structure of society that affects everything from the social messaging that conditions children in acceptable ways to express their gender, to how much women are paid compared to their male peers, to portrayals of women in media.

Except the mountain should be an incentive to be equal and exploit each less, not a benchmark for male exploitation. By your way of thinking it'll never be equal, as we've got thousands of years of exploitation we will never be able to catch up to.

Mentok

Banned
I don't know about "hot" Ryu...looks more like "Joel" Ryu. As in, what Joel from TLOU would look like on Roids and in a fighting mood.

The absurdity of this suggestion is essentially that it seems to be based on a notion that male fighting game characters were heady intellectual types, renowned for their sensible wardrobes.

Nearly all human fighting game characters, have basically been "hot," since...forever.

How is this even a point of discussion?

Steel

Banned
Sense in fan service and pandering? When your blood is going elsewhere, who cares.

I never said upset, more like uncomfortable for sexualizing men. Yes, it is tame.

I mean, it'd more likely be a laugh. Capcom has had some skimpy alt costumes for their male protags in the past:

While, yeah, that guy's not really hot(real dad bod is appealing to some, though and the mask and cap are optional), nobody complained about those costumes. It was more hilarious.

fernoca

The most significant event? Nah. :p

I mean, all DoA guys received swimsuits as DLC, all Virtua Fighter guys had alternate costumes that were just shorts (or a tiny speedo that even hinted a bit of "buttcrack" like Brad -which was my main, just wearing that and a beard-).

Heck, it should've been his default look. Same way Ken's default was changed.

Found my old pic from Brad in Google! :p
Apa08.jpg

Monocle

Basically. Putting a man in a speedo doesn't just automatically make something equal opportunity. That's like saying having a huge variety of hilarious stereotypes in Street Fighter means none of them can be offensive, or having a black main character means the context of a game can't be racist.
Yep, nailed it.

Except the mountain should be an incentive to be equal and exploit each less, not a benchmark for male exploitation. By your way of thinking it'll never be equal, as we've got thousands of years of exploitation we will never be able to catch up to.
No, all we've got to do is think of ways to redress specific issues. A simple example for the issue of women in games tending to be sex objects is to introduce a lot more diversity. It's not hard, just less profitable. Publishers don't like female protagonists and "unattractive" female characters because they don't sell.

I guarantee you that no focus group is going to call for a 55-year-old black trans heroine (who is an airplane mechanic and has a flat chest) in a shooter or an action game anytime soon.

"But she's not marketable!" Well...yeah.

Gbraga

I never said upset, more like uncomfortable for sexualizing men. Yes, it is tame.

I worded my reply poorly, even uncomfortable, it seems weird to me that some people would feel that way. Though some of the reactions FF Versus XIII and now FFXV's cast have been getting over the years should be more than enough evidence that people do get insecure when they see pretty boys, no matter how tame it is.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Between this and all the R. Mika talk im not sure what to make of GAF lately... o_O Why is there so much microanalyzing and overthinking (and dare i say insecurity) when it comes to sexy, attractive characters?

Ivan 3414

I don't think it's as creepy but still pretty wierd. I wouldn't call my GF a "hot mama", put it that way. Sounds like something a character on a sitcom from the 70's would say.

That's fair haha.

I think calling a girl "mama" was a thing at least in like 90s hip-hop songs. That might have been a thing at some point in time, but I'm guessing no obe says that now though.

OceanBlue

I mean, some people have said in this thread that sexualization by itself isn't the issue. One of the issues (as far as I understand it) is about how the audience for character designs is primarily male and that female designs are predominantly sexual.

Even if they aimed towards complete non-exploitation, it doesn't really change the thousands of years of exploitation anyway. It's not like aiming towards one or the other changes your latter sentence from being true lol.

I'm actually asking
Oh okay. Yeah I want to know too lol.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I read an interview with Ryu, and working with Sony for SFV they naturally hooked him up with a PS4. So he's apparently a big fan of The Last of Us, to the point where he's going for the Joel look. I'd say he did a nice job.

Gbraga

No, all we've got to do is think of ways to redress specific issues. A simple example for the issue of women in games tending to be sex objects is to introduce a lot more diversity. It's not hard, just less profitable. Publishers don't like female protagonists and "unattractive" female characters because they don't sell.

I guarantee you that no focus group is going to call for a 55-year-old black trans heroine in a shooter or an action game anytime soon.

"But she's not marketable!" Well...yeah.

I wouldn't mind an unattractive female lead, but I'd be lying if I said I don't prefer my playable characters to be good looking, male or female. Though of course that's all subjective, I remember seeing people praising Guerilla for something along those lines with Horizon, but all I could think was "are you guys insane? She's beautiful". I guess asking for more diversity is better than just asking for an unattractive character, with diverse characters you'll inevitably have characters that are unattractive to some and attractive to others, but without having to go out of your way to make an intentionally ugly character.

Golnei

Sense in fan service and pandering? When your blood is going elsewhere, who cares.

A fundoshi would be the better choice from that perspective as well.

It's just a matter of time.

With everything else they've shoved Chris into, that's almost to be expected. Though it is a shame he's really the only male RE character they bother giving exploitative costumes to - Jake, Leon, Wesker, Barry and Piers aren't exactly on Chris' level; but they deserve better than what they got in 5, 6 and Revelations. Wesker and Jake even had shirtless models in the game already, but they weren't playable without mods.

Apa08.jpg

bfmighs.png

The chest hair does look fairly good though. A shame even that amount is so uncommon in games...

The most significant event? Nah. :p

I mean, all DoA guys received swimsuits as DLC, all Virtua Fighter guys had alternate costumes that were just shorts (or a tiny speedo that even hinted a bit of "buttcrack" like Brad -which was my main, just wearing that and a beard-).

Heck, it should've been his default look. Same way Ken's default was changed.

Apa08.jpg

The DoA guys got MMA gear, not swimsuits. I know they're basically the same thing, but they're not.

Speaking of Virtua Fighter, VF5 making you work to get the guys to shed a few layers was just about the only reason I played it as much as I did back then. My thirst.

Top Bottom