• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the next Xbox essentially going to be a Steam Machine?

Elios83

It will be a completely optional gateway to play their games with some perks and Gamepass.
It won't be a platform anymore.

damidu

yeah and will fail as such.
they'll be envious of series numbers, just like they are of xbone numbers now.
and will leave the hw altogether, id say before end of decade.

The Office Jim GIF

yeah and will fail as such.
they'll be envious of series numbers, just like they are of xbone numbers now.
and will leave the hw altogether, id say before end of decade.
They are building a company to outlast all gaming companies.

In a couple of decades, both PS and Nintendo would be gone, while they will keep on going.

Laptop1991

No i don't think so as Steam and the Windows Store PC games and gaming are different, Microsoft won't allow the freedom Steam has with games, it's not their style.

Fredrik

Without wishing to be argumentative, I don't really understand.

Playing Alan Wake 2 via Steam rather than the Xbox store on a console? Is that PC gaming?

What does trying pc gaming mean?

Afaik, and I may be wrong, PC gaming is desirable for higher frame rates and better image quality. The downside is the hardware required is more expensive. You can't really have the former without the latter. Or am I missing something?
You do have a point! I guess I think Steam is PC gaming but I understand that it might be a glawed definition. Is Steam Deck PC gaming? Maybe not. Idk now you get me confused lol 😵‍💫

BlackTron

Gold Member
If someone (anyone) puts out a box that can sit under my TV with parts I can upgrade, I'll fucking buy it. Especially if it's connected to Steam, and allows mods.

I think you just described a HTPC/mini gaming PC. All shapes, sizes, prices and power levels out there.

bib5qEU.jpeg

RickMasters

If someone (anyone) puts out a box that can sit under my TV with parts I can upgrade, I'll fucking buy it. Especially if it's connected to Steam, and allows mods.
This is what I’m hoping the next Xbox will be. A console that I had some part upgradeability like a PC but has all the form factor and simplicity of a console. Maybe that’s why the surface team are designing the next Xbox…… maybe 🤷🏾‍♂️

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think you just described a HTPC/mini gaming PC. All shapes, sizes, prices and power levels out there.

bib5qEU.jpeg
I do think that something like that marketed in a console way could make sense. At least part of why I don't even consider PC as a games machine is because I can't be bothered to start trying to work out what kind of spec I need and how much it'll cost. I think people would like something like this if they know roughly that the hardware will have support, have a general idea of it's performance, that it will last for a decent amount of time and the price be suitable for the mass market. That makes a lot of sense.

But then I'm describing a console.

Last edited:

MikeM

I’d buy it if it meant full access to settings to tailor my experience as I please. I’d buy it and hide it behind my TV which is something I can’t do with an ITX PC.

Jaybe

Gold Member
Hope Valve releases a Steam Machine too if Microsoft goes this route. Perhaps their first iteration was before its time, and now PC gaming is more popular.

BlackTron

Gold Member
I do think that something like that marketed in a console way could make sense. At least part of why I don't even consider PC as a games machine is because I can't be bothered to start trying to work out what kind of spec I need and how much it'll cost. I think people would like something like this if they know roughly that the hardware will have support, have a general idea of it's performance, that it will last for a decent amount of time and the price be suitable for the mass market. That makes a lot of sense.

But then I'm describing a console.

I think it's a big ask to have all that AND replaceable parts tbh.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This is what I’m hoping the next Xbox will be. A console that I had some part upgradeability like a PC but has all the form factor and simplicity of a console. Maybe that’s why the surface team are designing the next Xbox…… maybe 🤷🏾‍♂️

I honestly doubt Microsoft would make such a thing. They'd have to allow third party upgrade parts, and that probably ain't happening. They'll want to maintain a stranglehold. I doubt Steam would even be allowed on Xbox the way it is now.

Much more likely that Gabe and Valve themselves would come up with something like that.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Schitts Creek Sleeping GIF by CBC

Zzzz *gasp!*

If the rumors are true that the next Xbox will run Steam and have third party manufacturers doing their own versions.

Won’t that turn it into a Steam Machine??

On my PC I boot into Steam Big Picture and except for 5 seconds of looking at a Windows desktop it feels like a Steam device, literally.
MS could tweak the OS and have some overlay to get people onto Gamepass etc but the big thing will no doubt be Steam access, right?
Then is it still a Xbox? Or is it more like a Steam Machine?

… just tell me to go back to bed if this is dumb zzzz

The thing is Xbox already runs a modified version of Windows. I think Microsoft will continue to utilize the hypervisor tech already in place but make adjustments to allow people to switch from a "console mode" to "PC mode". The PC mode is technically already there but all the Windows UI to access it is stripped away.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think it's a big ask to have all that AND replaceable parts tbh.

Yes, I agree, and that's why I think the idea that xbox would have some sort of pc approach doesn't really make sense.

Essentially, I don't see how a console business can become more pc-like and get any real benefit from it unless they do it at a price that doesn't make sense to consumers.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Since Xbox became foremost a brand, yes, one can assume that. And that's fine

Little secret: since a lot of PC games are on Windows, Microsoft wins money even with Sony games on it
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MayauMiao

Even if it is some sort of Steam Machine (doubt) or Steamdeck like device, knowing Microsoft handling hardware, it will fail especially when they are already failing with current Xbox.

Topher

Gold Member
There is zero chance Microsoft (or Sony for that matter) would ever allow such an open platform to compete with Steam. Their greedy little black souls just wouldn't be able to cope with all that juicy money they'd lose not having full control over the eco-system.

Only way I see Xbox going open platform is if they junk subsidization and make a proft on the hardware and stuff the UI full of ads with Game Pass being at the forefront.

They can't keep going with the traditional console business model. It just isn't working for Xbox.

Last edited:

Danknugz

The thing is Xbox already runs a modified version of Windows. I think Microsoft will continue to utilize the hypervisor tech already in place but make adjustments to allow people to switch from a "console mode" to "PC mode". The PC mode is technically already there but all the Windows UI to access it is stripped away.
exactly, they've already put too much work into this "xbox os" over the years (why it took them 9 years to be able to draw 2d squares and game tiles without lag escapes me but i digress), if anything they would create their own steam app but never fully replace with steam os, that would be kind of losing all their work?

Fredrik

In hope so! I use my pc connected to my tv as a steam box.. driver updates etc could be handles better that standard windows does on a tv. Hopefully the new win/xb-hybrid os (which i expect) can run on any pc
Yeah I also have a PC connected to the TV. No big screen mode outside of Steam and having to use mouse and keyboard when closing Steam or having to log on somewhere is not couch friendly from a console gamer perspective. I use a wireless keyboard with a touch pad for that but wish I could do everything with the controller.

Topher

Gold Member
exactly, they've already put too much work into this "xbox os" over the years (why it took them 9 years to be able to draw 2d squares and game tiles without lag escapes me but i digress), if anything they would create their own steam app but never fully replace with steam os, that would be kind of losing all their work?

They could just utilize the existing Xbox console interface as their gaming overlay. I don't think Steam OS would be there at all though.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Yes, I agree, and that's why I think the idea that xbox would have some sort of pc approach doesn't really make sense.

Essentially, I don't see how a console business can become more pc-like and get any real benefit from it unless they do it at a price that doesn't make sense to consumers.

IMO the answer is that they're getting out of the console business. They don't intend to sell these like hotcakes. They're maintaining the option to have a Xbox along with the ecosystem while throwing the console model out the window to be a third party publisher.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am sure MS is exploring the possibility and Jez Corden seems weirdly interested in talking about it instead of the total failure and subsequent restructuring of the Xbox division, but it doesn't make a lot of sense if you think about it. Gamers buy consoles because they want a console. They buy PCs when they want PCs. This thing would have to be expensive, it would be confusing for people who aren't in the loop, it would have no shot at moving significant units, and it's just a bad idea for a company that has long struggled with hardware.

They should just kill the console and become a third party publisher.

If the rumors are valid, I'd seriously consider buying that Xbox. It'd me a lot cheaper and convenient than a new desktop PC or a new gaming laptop.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I don't get it. What would be the difference between an "Xbox PC Steam machine" and the PC I have today? Can someone please explain?

Jaybe

Gold Member
If the rumors are valid, I'd seriously consider buying that Xbox. It'd me a lot cheaper and convenient than a new desktop PC or a new gaming laptop.

Why do you think it will be cheaper? As I understand it, the reason behind this is to stop subsidizing console hardware.

I don't get it. What would be the difference between an "Xbox PC Steam machine" and the PC I have today? Can someone please explain?
No one knows what its gonna be at this point.

But I believe it won’t replace your pc. If you are into pc gaming then staying there is probably going to be for the best.

Topher

Gold Member
Targeting the pre built gaming PC with a "S-mode" for gaming is doing just that lol

Steam will be a option but Xbox will be front & center on these devices & PC

Windows Store and Xbox are already front and center on PC. People just ignore that shit and install Steam.

When Microsoft pulls all their games from the Steam store then we can talk about how they are "fighting" Steam.

Fredrik

Developer Mode?
Imo there is nothing PC-like there at the moment. Can’t run any normal PC programs, you don’t have file access, have to do some weird push method to get files onto the console, I’ve dabbled a bit with that. Not a fan tbh.

Dream scenario for me is a big picture mode looking like the Xbox 360 blades UI, with Steam content on one blade, Epic on another, and Gamepass, GOG, Ubi, PS, EA Play etc. Flipping between blades with RB/LB. Then I want to be able to exit that and access Windows, or just Edge and the file explorer would be enough, to install mods. Touch pad on controller would be nice when a mouse cursor is needed.
And I want all that as a specific Windows version for the living room, installable on any PC.

Right now Valve is the one on top, everybody else is helplessly behind. And I do think Steam on a Xbox would help Valve more than Microsoft.

Topher

Gold Member
Developer Mode?
Imo there is nothing PC-like there at the moment. Can’t run any normal PC programs, you don’t have file access, have to do some weird push method to get files onto the console, I’ve dabbled a bit with that. Not a fan tbh.

Dream scenario for me is a big picture mode looking like the Xbox 360 blades UI, with Steam content on one blade, Epic on another, and Gamepass, GOG, Ubi, PS, EA Play etc. Flipping between blades with RB/LB. Then I want to be able to exit that and access Windows, or just Edge and the file explorer would be enough, to install mods. Touch pad on controller would be nice when a mouse cursor is needed.
And I want all that as a specific Windows version for the living room, installable on any PC.

Right now Valve is the one on top, everybody else is helplessly behind. And I do think Steam on a Xbox would help Valve more than Microsoft.

Not a dev mode. I'm talking about a full-fledged Windows mode on Xbox where they allow users to do all the things you are talking about, but you can flip to Xbox mode for the living room console experience. MS would just have to make sure the Xbox side was completely isolated and secure. I like your blades idea though.

Just guesses on my part obviously. The other part of this that I can't figure out is how they are going to shoe-horn AI into all of this from a user standpoint. That's front and center in everything Microsoft is doing right now.

Last edited:
Why do you think it will be cheaper? As I understand it, the reason behind this is to stop subsidizing console hardware.
Because I live in Chile, a South American country where building a desktop PC requires selling a kidney and where a good RTX gaming laptop would require selling other internal organs of your choice. A gaming console isn't as cheap as it was some 10 years ago here, but it is far more affordable than the other two options. That's why.

Fredrik

Not a dev mode. I'm talking about a full-fledged Windows mode on Xbox where they allow users to do all the things you are talking about, but you can flip to Xbox mode for the living room console experience. MS would just have to make sure the Xbox side was completely isolated and secure. I like your blades idea though.

Just guesses on my part obviously. The other part of this that I can't figure out is how they are going to shoe-horn AI into all of this from a user standpoint. That's front and center in everything Microsoft is doing right now.
Roughly sounds like Steam Deck and Linux. I don’t like the secure and isolated bit though. Why does it have to be secure? I’ve installed my hobby Unity platformer on the Deck, it’s great seeing it on the UI playable with one press of a button among other regular games. Things like that is a system seller feature for me.

Jaybe

Gold Member
Because I live in Chile, a South American country where building a desktop PC requires selling a kidney and where a good RTX gaming laptop would require selling other internal organs of your choice. A gaming console isn't as cheap as it was some 10 years ago here, but it is far more affordable than the other two options. That's why.
What’s a Microsoft Surface laptop cost vs other laptops there, that’s the same price positioning this Xbox PC is going to have versus gaming PCs. It’s not going to be subsidized. I’m not trying to be a jerk, I’d just temper your expectations on price.

Last edited:

onQ123

Windows Store and Xbox are already front and center on PC. People just ignore that shit and install Steam.

When Microsoft pulls all their games from the Steam store then we can talk about how they are "fighting" Steam.
Why would they pull their games ?

The goal is to extend their reach

Fredrik

Why would they pull their games ?

The goal is to extend their reach
Sooner or later everybody will pull their games from Steam if they have any platform holder ambitions. Everybody playing nice and paying a 30% cut to Valve is a short-lived scenario. Ubi, Rockstar, EA, PS don’t make us log into their accounts because it’s fun. They’re currently using the Steam pond to fish new customers, once they’re satisfied with the catch they’ll start doing timed and eventually full exclusives on their own launchers.

Last edited:

Holammer

Said it a dozen times before already, but as I see it, such a machine would be more about keeping users in the windows ecosystem so they don't run off and get something running Linux. So even if people buy one to install steam on it, MS still wins.
Drop the Xbox brand while they're at it. It's kinda shit and it's been run into the ground repeatedly. Dare to be like Nintendo, they're not afraid to rebrand and we would be at NES7 right now if they kept it safe.

Deerock71

Tough to say, but I'm upgrading to a Series X for it's back compat capabilities before they unalive the disc drives.

Topher

Gold Member
Sooner or later everybody will pull their games from Steam if they have any platform holder ambitions. Everybody playing nice and paying a 30% cut to Valve is a short-lived scenario. Ubi, Rockstar, EA, PS don’t make us log into their accounts because it’s fun. They’re currently using the Steam pond to fish new customers, once they’re satisfied with the catch they’ll start doing timed and eventually full exclusives on their own launchers.

They have tried all that before and failed. Now the publishers who tried their own launchers are bringing their games back to Steam.

Top Bottom