• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the next Xbox essentially going to be a Steam Machine?

BlackTron

Gold Member
But you pay for what you get and then some for the form factor. $499 would net you some lackluster build. With Xbox, it could be a good bit more powerful and cheaper (or at least $599) if MS is willing to eat the cost or break even. Plus having the name Xbox with an easy console like menu system and it could do pretty well.

$499 lol. I don't think you understand what is really happening here.

DavidGzz

$499 lol. I don't think you understand what is really happening here.

You know what I am saying though. Even if it was 699+ you'll be getting something way more powerful than a mini-PC in the same price range and if it still has a console UI instead of a PC UI it will be much more attractive to casual/console gamers. They don't even know those small PCs exist lol

Last edited:

BlackTron

Gold Member
You know what I am saying though. Even if it was 699+ you'll be getting something way more powerful than a mini-PC in the same price range and if it still has a console UI instead of a PC UI it will be much more attractive to casual/console gamers.

I think the whole point of what they are doing is that they are no longer subsidizing the cost of the console, and with good reason, they're moving on to selling games anywhere they can.

It doesn't make any sense to lose money/break even on a console that you aren't even bothering to support with exclusive titles. Of course if there is an official Microsoft version it will be pricey, if it was a great deal why would third party manufacturers get in on making them? How would they beat MS's subsidized prices?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Where did the jump in logic from suggesting the possibility of offering alternative storefronts(as an EU preventative measure, at that) to necessitating alternative operating systems? Why in the christ would they do that? All they need is a disclaimer that M&KB support might be required. What you are suggesting would COMPLETELY sidestep the make money part of this whole thing, lmao. Game Pass only runs games natively on Windows...

Why would they need gamepass on the steam side if they already have an xbox side with gamepass? That makes no sense. A disclaimer that you might need a keyboard just to run a game? That's stupidity.
As to making money, they wouldn't even consider the steam side idea unless they are getting a cut from valve.

And as a PC gamer and a Day One Steam Deck owner, BULLSHIT. A thousand trips to desktop mode(ahem, fucking Linux) and back using shitty bluetooth mouse and key to fix games that otherwise would require zero fiddling in Windows SCREAMS BULLSHIT.

Not sure how you are using your steam deck, but the only time I have ever needed desktop mode is to do PC like things (not console like things). Thinks like emudeck or loading Xbplay, all not needed in the case of a dual purpose traditional console.

Where are the people using Steam OS on their PC's? Right. So what's the GUI difference between Xbox OS and Steam OS? Proper controller support and sidebar submenus? Like some of the stuff they were showing at Build 2024? lol. Pretty sure Microsoft would DARE that route before literally ANYTHING you have suggested...unless they actually ARE trying to acquire Valve, hahahaha.

Most people who use PC's for gaming are using them dual purpose at a monitor, with a mouse and keyboard, no reason for leaving windows at all. As to Xbox OS and Steam OS, not much difference, just that once supports a different set of games. (and thus the appeal to potential buyers)
For a real possibility they go with a full front end in this case, they would need to make it truely plug an play.
And no doubt they are trying to acquire Valve, or at least partner with them.

This is tantamount to saying you think they should offer dual booting to Mac OS to be able to play Apple Arcade games. They wouldn't make any money doing that either.

They would if apple paid them a cut.

This is just a ridiculously incorrect and out of touch thing to say.

WTF is a "tv buyer" in this context, lmfao
TV friendly? What year are you living in? Been pc gaming from the couch for the better part of 10 years.

None of your arguments make sense.

I don't think you understand the casual gamer. They don't want a PC. They want a console that hooks up to a TV. They barely know how to hook up an HDMI cable.
This is the audience they are after, not the guys like us who build thier own PC or want to screw around with a PC in the living room. (which still even has it's challenges, it still crashes, it still sometimes doesn't boot into full screen, or anti cheat won't load, etc, etc, etc.)
Heck you can't even turn it on with the controller easily. All of this makes sense, you have to look at it from outside our bubble.

DavidGzz

I think the whole point of what they are doing is that they are no longer subsidizing the cost of the console, and with good reason, they're moving on to selling games anywhere they can.

It doesn't make any sense to lose money/break even on a console that you aren't even bothering to support with exclusive titles. Of course if there is an official Microsoft version it will be pricey, if it was a great deal why would third party manufacturers get in on making them? How would they beat MS's subsidized prices?

Oh, seems you're just making assumptions since there is no official article so not sure that merits a "$499 lol. I don't think you understand what is really happening here." as if you're in the know. For all we know Steam and MS have a partnership. We'll see soon enough what the details are or maybe it's all made up BS.

BlackTron

Gold Member
Oh, seems you're just making assumptions since there is no official article so not sure that merits a "$499 lol. I don't think you understand what is really happening here." as if you're in the know. For all we know Steam and MS have a partnership. We'll see soon enough what the details are or maybe it's all made up BS.

If we assume enough about these rumors to believe the next console will be a PC then there are other assumptions that come with that.

Sure anything is possible, but it helps when the scenario makes sense for all players in the deal. So Steam takes a bite out of their usual cut of games to help pay for Microsoft's console, is that how it would work? And again, a lot is implied by the existence of third party hardware.

coffinbirth

Why would they need gamepass on the steam side if they already have an xbox side with gamepass? That makes no sense. A disclaimer that you might need a keyboard just to run a game? That's stupidity.
As to making money, they wouldn't even consider the steam side idea unless they are getting a cut from valve.

Not sure how you are using your steam deck, but the only time I have ever needed desktop mode is to do PC like things (not console like things). Thinks like emudeck or loading Xbplay, all not needed in the case of a dual purpose traditional console.

Most people who use PC's for gaming are using them dual purpose at a monitor, with a mouse and keyboard, no reason for leaving windows at all. As to Xbox OS and Steam OS, not much difference, just that once supports a different set of games. (and thus the appeal to potential buyers)
For a real possibility they go with a full front end in this case, they would need to make it truely plug an play.
And no doubt they are trying to acquire Valve, or at least partner with them.

They would if apple paid them a cut.

I don't think you understand the casual gamer. They don't want a PC. They want a console that hooks up to a TV. They barely know how to hook up an HDMI cable.
This is the audience they are after, not the guys like us who build thier own PC or want to screw around with a PC in the living room. (which still even has it's challenges, it still crashes, it still sometimes doesn't boot into full screen, or anti cheat won't load, etc, etc, etc.)
Heck you can't even turn it on with the controller easily. All of this makes sense, you have to look at it from outside our bubble.
There are different games available on Game Pass on both platforms. They are also two completely different business models. I'm not even reading past your first failed argument here.

You are just typing bullshit.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
There are different games available on Game Pass on both platforms. They are also two completely different business models. I'm not even reading past your first failed argument here.

You are just typing bullshit.

I love it when people tap out because they have to logical arguement to present.

The library of games on gamepass and xbox are almost exactly the same, with exception of the odd pc only game or 3rd party title. And I'm the one typing bullshit......lol
Go ahead, compare the lists. 540 on xbox vs 464 on pc gamepass.

Nobody buying this machine outside of you would be crying for pc gamepass on a dual boot console focused machine that already has xbox gamepass. You don't even understand what this machine would be or why it would appeal to some people. This
Isn't a machine to replace a pc for hardcore pc gamers. It's a game console that happens to play steam games.

coffinbirth

I love it when people tap out because they have to logical arguement to present.

The library of games on gamepass and xbox are almost exactly the same, with exception of the odd pc only game or 3rd party title. And I'm the one typing bullshit......lol
Go ahead, compare the lists. 540 on xbox vs 464 on pc gamepass.

Nobody buying this machine outside of you would be crying for pc gamepass on a dual boot console focused machine that already has xbox gamepass. You don't even understand what this machine would be or why it would appeal to some people. This
Isn't a machine to replace a pc for hardcore pc gamers. It's a game console that happens to play steam games.
You are typing nonsense not worth responding to, get over it.

giphy.gif

A sleek optimised PC that runs all PC and console games (aside from Sony exclusives - until a year later ofc lol) that cuts out the tinkering/keyboard and mouse setup required with a normal PC is obviously the endgame for the console market.

Anyone who thinks in 15 years sony will still be making their own hardware to compete with something like this is insane.

I look forward to seeing what xbox do in this space and strongly encourage it. I however will never need one as I can easily put my desktop on my OLED and enjoy couch gaming without needing this.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I doubt the rumors, but if it's true this may be the most appealing an XBOX ever sounded to me.
I’m stuck on if it can be defined as a Xbox or not… 🤔

But if it is, and if the rumours are true, then yeah it would be awesome.

All 3rd party Steam games. FF7 Remake, VR, Halflife Alyx, on Xbox.
All Steam Xbox releases.
All Steam Playstation releases. Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Forbidden West, Returnal with Samus Aran mod, on Xbox.
Then maybe some emulator or virtual Xbox to run previous Xbox games.

On paper it would be a very appealing box.

In reality Microsoft would probably mess it up somehow. Maybe stumble on the hardware so nothing runs at 60fps. There is always something.

coffinbirth

The thing is Xbox already runs a modified version of Windows. I think Microsoft will continue to utilize the hypervisor tech already in place but make adjustments to allow people to switch from a "console mode" to "PC mode". The PC mode is technically already there but all the Windows UI to access it is stripped away.
Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

Top Bottom