• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata implies he may resign over poor business performance

SMD

Nintendo is trying to sell a product. WW art style was not what the GC needed at the time and probably drove away a number of potential customers. Killer 7 has a completely different look than WW and not many people would mistake it for kiddie.

If they were driven away by Zelda's look, what games were they going to stay for?

Hakai

If they were driven away by Zelda's look, what games were they going to stay for?

This.

Really, blaming WW for the GC failure is just nonsense. There is no correlation, the game was a success, actually it is the fourth best selling GC game.

MisterHero

I get that TP was released on two platforms at once, and the NES was a phenomenon where even mediocre games sold millions, but what were the special circumstances for OoT?
First 3D game in the series. Like Mario 64, some people liked the 3D and some others couldn't grasp it. One might argue that some people are resistant to motion controls as some were to polygonal 3D.

That might be the impression Nintendo has based on their games in Japan; Zelda and Metroid typically do better in the US.

That's such an American centric view. The kiddie thing is more a damning indictment of the immaturity of gamers than Nintendo, even with the admission from Nintendo that they see themselves as a toy company more than an entertainment company.
No one ever said "oh those Pixar films look shit because they're all Disney films for kids" and if anyone does feel like that, then it's their loss.

The PS2 was the successor to the most popular console in the 32-bit era and the marketing was top notch, there were almost every single type of game catered for - kiddie or otherwise.

The Gamecube had great games but nowhere near the breadth of titles that the PS2 had. The Xbox chased the core gamers yet that sold worse than the GC - one of these is considered a failure while the other is a success.

Zelda was a great game and has the same art style as Killer 7. Were people put off K7 because it looked 'kiddie'?

I didn't say I was bothered by the "kiddie" image, I said it was an image issue for Nintendo - and it was, and is. Yes, gamers are immature, and the "kiddie" thing is stupid, but nevertheless, that's the audience. Link was the rough equivalent of, say, Spider-Man, and Nintendo turned him into Richie Rich. The game still found an audience, and sure, it sold on par with the prior system's death rattle game, Majora's Mask (which launched on PS2 launch day), but Wind Waker wasn't meant to be a dying system's send-off. It was meant to be the Gamecube's Ocarina of Time - a system seller.

I was bothered by the look of Wind Waker, but not because it looked cartoonish - I've been dying for that since Zelda 1. The awful giant head, no nose, no legs character design bugs me, but cel shading is perfect for Zelda.

And by the way, the Xbox sold better than the Gamecube, by a couple million units. Anyone who considers that a success, especially in light of how much money they sunk, is nuts. Not really relevant to this discussion, though.

And Wind Waker is not Killer 7. Cel-shading is not an art style in and of itself.

Javier

I get that TP was released on two platforms at once, and the NES was a phenomenon where even mediocre games sold millions, but what were the special circumstances for OoT?
Nintendo advertised the game everywhere. TV commercials, magazine covers, all denoting the "revolutionary experience" that was the game, being the first in 3D. Word of mouth and anticipation was huge, not to mention Nintendo's biggest release in months for the N64. Last one was Banjo-Kazooie 5 months earlier.

Game was definitely a phenomenon when it came out.

Um, it was the first 3D Zelda game.

But it was a time where every series was having its first 3D iteration; it wasn't an advantage that was unique to Zelda. Of course, OoT had the best mechanics, looked incredible, and was generally an amazing game, but that didn't happen by accident and I feel it's grossly unfair to Nintendo's work on that game to call it a fluke and say they were just a beneficiary of circumstance.

Nintendo advertised the game everywhere. TV commercials, magazine covers, all denoting the "revolutionary experience" that was the game. Word of mouth and anticipation was huge, not to mention Nintendo's biggest release in months for the N64. Last one was Banjo-Kazooie 5 months earlier.

Game was definitely a phenomenon when it came out.

But like I say, that was all of Nintendo's making. Why are they not doing the same thing today?

Toski

Thats hard to say, but I think if WW looked like TP or SS, the kiddie stigma Nintendo suffered at the time would've been lessened. If Nintendo kept Rare, a PD2 could've competed with Halo.

LoZ was the first true adventure game. It was the first game with a save function. On a system that was shit hot and resurrecting the North American video game market at the time. It couldn't have been better for its time.

TP was a release title for the fastest selling system ever, with an insane amount of buzz surrounding it. Also, it was the "mature" Zelda game everyone wanted.

OoT was just damned good.

There hasn't been a brand new Kirby game in a while. Maybe Nintendo has canned that series too. Maybe it's raining but I'm worried that someone's pissing on my head.

There was a 2.5d Kirby platformer in 2011. How often do you expect them to release new Kirby games?

Metroid Other M really wasn't that long ago either. Especially considering that we didn't get a Metroid from Super Metroid to Metroid Prime.

Verendus

Banned
But it was a time where every series was having its first 3D iteration; it wasn't an advantage that was unique to Zelda. Of course, OoT had the best mechanics, looked incredible, and was generally an amazing game, but that didn't happen by accident and I feel it's grossly unfair to Nintendo's work on that game to call it a fluke and say they were just a beneficiary of circumstance.

But like I say, that was all of Nintendo's making. Why are they not doing the same thing today?
I think circumstances definitely helped the game. The same way they helped FF7, for example, sell 10 million. The games are great for their times no doubt, but the timing certainly helps, and that's not something the company can always control with all their products.

3 million in a month and a half is pretty good. Zelda is probably more front-loaded than most of Nintendo's games but I wouldn't be surprised if it at least got another million or so after that.

Sure if the Wii was about as powerful as PS360 and had motion support while still launching for $250 it would be the market leader today. But really do you think that was actually an option for Nintendo? I'm pretty sure Nintendo would have to post massive losses for several years in a row to pull that off - without the benefit of a parent company to back them up.

Considering, firstly, how much R&D money they paid ATI for the Wii - not the motion control R&D, but the system itself, I've always maintained they could've used a much more powerful, more-or-less off-the-shelf piece that would have cost them the same or possibly even less. Same goes for the Wii U.

And considering, secondly, how the Wii sold - shattering every sales record in videogame history except those that come from longevity - there's absolutely no doubt it would have been massively profitable, especially if that hardware power had extended its life, which would be likely.

Thats hard to say, but I think if WW looked like TP or SS, the kiddie stigma Nintendo suffered at the time would've been lessened. If Nintendo kept Rare, a PD2 could've competed with Halo.

If Wind Waker used the same cel-shading technique but had characters with more normal proportions (face and body - Link is supposed to have a nose), it would probably not have contributed to the image problem. Final Fantasy VII, for example, is very cartoonish, but it was never widely perceived as "kiddie" because Cloud isn't presented as a toddler.

To the videogame target audience - especially as it's aged over the years - there's a world of difference between the protagonist being a (young) teen and a toddler. Wind Waker Link looks like a toddler. Hell, even in Wind Waker's world of super-super-deformed beings, he looks like a toddler.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's funny because the console with the kiddie image is now the XBox and ironically due to mature rated titles.

MarkusRJR

The game sold a million in its first week. 3,4 million in its first month.

It's been an additional 15-16 months since then. It's most likely way over that now.
Doesn't Nintendo release these numbers when they release their financial results. Someone should go look for that.

Man, really? You may be right, I can get your point, but when you are creating a game, you should not think in how your game will make the hardware look, but making the game in it's best.

And game wise, WW performed very well, actually since is GC we are talking about here it done awesome, it sold almost like Link to the Past for the SNES. Not only in sales the game was praised by critics.

So, again how could that be a out of touch decision, when after all was a success. GC was not a failure because of WW, this is just nonsense really.

Iwata's defenders and Wind Waker's fanboys shares a lot of common reading such comments.

For the same reason Iwata's defenders uses revisionism and falacious claims to sustain Wii's direction being totally successful, brought Nintendo billions and "crushed" PS3/360 in a way to hide the fact it suffered a premature death, loose third-party support and became irrelevant in the eyes of the core market, Wind Waker fanboys do the same in order to say the cel-shading direction is as successful as the TP/OOT aesthetic (to not start a useless debate if Zelda was realistic or not), but it's not. NeoGAF loves cel-shading graphics and have a huge legion of fans but outside of it isn't so appealing.

If the next Zelda HD adopt a TP/OOT visual and manage to outsell Wind Waker HD by a considerable margin (and probably will), this will be one more evidence that cel-shading art style isn't the best aethestic for Zelda.

Because it cemented the Gamecube's "kiddie" image, just when it might have been possible to establish the console with a wider demographic (Resident Evil exclusivity had been recently announced). I personally think Wind Waker is more directly responsible for the Gamecube's toddler image than anything else, even the purple box and handle or Mario Sunshine marketing. And that "kiddie" image, more than anything else, contributed to its poor sales performance.

If Wind Waker used the same cel-shading technique but had characters with more normal proportions (face and body - Link is supposed to have a nose), it would probably not have contributed to the image problem. Final Fantasy VII, for example, is very cartoonish, but it was never widely perceived as "kiddie" because Cloud isn't presented as a toddler.

To the videogame target audience - especially as it's aged over the years - there's a world of difference between the protagonist being a (young) teen and a toddler. Wind Waker Link looks like a toddler. Hell, even in Wind Waker's world of super-super-deformed beings, he looks like a toddler.

Nintendo is trying to sell a product. WW art style was not what the GC needed at the time and probably drove away a number of potential customers. Killer 7 has a completely different look than WW and not many people would mistake it for kiddie.

Good to see there are Nintendo fans who can see it.

I would have much preferred Wind Waker than Ocarina of Time II. I regret nothing.

For the same reasons Sega fanboys preferred a Dreamcast over a PS2. Subjectivism isn't a good counter argument.

maeda

Where is all this sentiment about Nintendo putting Metroid in hiatus coming from? Just last year Miyamoto was talking about how he can imagine a nice Metroid game for Wii U with a grin on his face. It's coming guys, just be patient!

Where is all this sentiment about Nintendo putting Metroid in hiatus coming from? Just last year Miyamoto was talking about how he can imagine a nice Metroid game for Wii U with a grin on his face. It's coming guys, just be patient!

People conflate no game releases or announcements and the general dislike of Other M's story with 'resting the franchise'.

If there existed a console identical to the other two that had all the multiplatform games IN ADDITION to Nintendo's games, it wold be my only console. That's what I think everyone has wanted since the end of the SNES era.

???

Nintetndo had a console more powerful than PS2 and it had all the multi-platform games and Nintendo games. It was the GameCube. It started out fine, but third-party games ended up not selling and the first-party games weren't enough to overcome the deficit in software.

How did the GameCube not fit your model of what you think would be an "identical console to the other two that had all the multi-platform games"?

maeda

People conflate no game releases or announcements and the general dislike of Other M's story with 'resting the franchise'.
I figured...! Considering Retro is most likely working on something else, I wonder whose hands the series ends up in next. I am willing to bet, Metroid HD will be another one of the collaborations Iwata was talking about in the recent Wii U Direct.

ikioi

Banned
IMHO Iwata has got to go.

I do not understand how Nintendo managed to screw the Wii U up as badly as they have. They've had years to prepair for the systems launch, as well as the finances and human resources to really come up with something spectacular.

Instead what they've served up is:

A system with a buggy and poor performing OS, complete with system freezes. Years in development right here.

Out of the two games Nintendo have released so far, one is a pack in title, and the other was a port from Wii. Nintendo couldn't even get a serious game out with the system's launch window. Instead we get a port and a pack in title. Awesome. Not just that but the promise of Pikmin coming by March, yeah where's that gone?

Online service that still ties online sales to hardware. Nintendo still cant figure out user account systems. The Nintendo network is also slow as shit. How many people who downloaded Lego Cities were waiting 12+ hours to suck it down.

A system that is at most marginally powerful then the Xbox 360 and PS3. 7 years of tech improvements and the best they could come up with is a system that maybe and with some effort, can exceed 7 year old consoles. Amazing stuff this.

No 3rd party developer really cares about. We've seen it miss game after game, and even devleopers like Ubisoft cancel once exclusive games to go multi platform. Seems no 3rd party gives two shits about the system. Then there's developers refusing to commit to future DLC or patches for the Wii U versions of their games.

Despite the Wii U's hardware being technologically weak, apparently it's quite expensive to make. Nintendo decided it'd be a great idea having IBM build a custom PPC 750 multi core CPU. Yeah totally awesome idea that one, investing millions or more on a 20 year old CPU architecture. Then there's the MCM, or the customised GPU from AMD that if we're lucky is 400 gigaflops. For the money Nintendo have spent on their MCM, CPU, and GPU, they could have got a far more powerful sollution. But instead they cripple their entire console for the stupid idea of low power consumption and because they cant be assed learning a new CPU architecture.

Iwata craps on about how the Wii U is going to have better 3rd party support then the Wii thanks to its more powerful and modern architecture. Bullshit. PS4: 1.8 teraflop GPU, 8GB GDDR5, dedicated HDD, 8 core x86 AMD CPU, yeah like hell the Wii U is going to get any significant downports or multi plats. The Wii U is so far behind the PS4 it's not in the same leauge.

Then there's the questions over how prepared Nintendo are internally for HD development. Not a single game out for Wii U other then a pack in and Wii port. Pikmin delayed. Massive amounts of job adverts running in Japan for everything from OS development, network engineers, to HD game developers. Nintendo only managing one patch in 4 months for the Wii U's OS. List goes on. Seems to me like Nintendo have been caught totally with their pants down and unprepared for the Wii U, and are now in a mad rush to salvage the system.

StevieP

Banned
In this thread, new super Mario u is a port of the Wii game. Or, "you know you haven't played a game when". No point in discussing the fact that intel's newest cores are rooted in 20 year old technology either.

I'm guessing when people think of Xbox they think of teens screaming down the mic on Xbox LIVE. And shooting and stuff. Kinect with the arm flailing. Really hardcore stuff.

Or something...

That's fine but realistically Wii is obviously the most kid friendly console and pretending otherwise is silly.

Wii U doesn't really have enough owners to have a defined userbase but I would speculate "Nintendo fanboys over 17".

Hakai

Iwata's defenders and Wind Waker's fanboys shares a lot of common reading such comments.

For the same reason Iwata's defenders uses revisionism and falacious claims to sustain Wii's direction being totally successful, brought Nintendo billions and "crushed" PS3/360 in a way to hide the fact it suffered a premature death, loose third-party support and became irrelevant in the eyes of the core market, Wind Waker fanboys do the same in order to say the cel-shading direction is as successful as the TP/OOT aesthetic (to not start a useless debate if Zelda was realistic or not), but it's not. NeoGAF loves cel-shading graphics and have a huge legion of fans but outside of it isn't so appealing.

If the next Zelda HD adopt a TP/OOT visual and manage to outsell Wind Waker HD by a considerable margin (and probably will), this will be one more evidence that cel-shading art style isn't the best aethestic for Zelda.

Good to see there are Nintendo fans who can see it.

For the same reasons Sega fanboys preferred a Dreamcast over a PS2. Subjectivism isn't a good counter argument.

I'm not an WW fanboy, I love the Zelda series. But your point is flawed, there is no correlation.

You can't deduce that from the data you showed, simple as that.

And About Iwata and the whole Wii point you've made, all I can say is: There is two sides to every coin, the point is which side the coin was flipped? I think the Wii was the right thing, at the right moment, they needed that sales, they achieved what they wanted (expanding the gaming audience). But we are too close to the fact to see what the bad reputation the Wii built will mean to Nintendo in the future.

I figured...! Considering Retro is most likely working on something else, I wonder whose hands the series ends up in next. I am willing to bet, Metroid HD will be another one of the collaborations Iwata was talking about in the recent Wii U Direct.

If they're not giving it to Team Ninja, or whatever they're calling themselves now, I imagine the reason for silence is figuring out who to make it next, if not Retro again.

Out of the two games Nintendo have released so far, one is a pack in title,

Not in every region.

and the other was a port from Wii.

Nope.

Not just that but the promise of Pikmin coming by March, yeah where's that gone?

It got delayed. Games get delayed. It sucks, but it happened to Luigi's Mansion 2, Kid Icarus and numerous others.

No 3rd party developer really cares about. We've seen it miss game after game, and even devleopers like Ubisoft cancel once exclusive games to go multi platform. Seems no 3rd party gives two shits about the system. Then there's developers refusing to commit to future DLC or patches for the Wii U versions of their games.

Then there's the questions over how prepared Nintendo are internally for HD development. Not a single game out for Wii U other then a pack in and Wii port. Pikmin delayed. Massive amounts of job adverts running in Japan for everything from OS development, network engineers, to HD game developers.

World wide, they've grown by 700 people since 2009, and NCL itself by about 300 hundred.

I'm not an WW fanboy, I love the Zelda series. But your point is flawed, there is no correlation.

You can't deduce that from the data you showed, simple as that.

And About Iwata and the whole Wii point you've made, all I can say is: There is two sides to every coin, the point is which side the coin was flipped? I think the Wii was the right thing, at the right moment, they needed that sales, they achieved what they wanted (expanding the gaming audience). But we are too close to the fact to see what the bad reputation the Wii built will mean to Nintendo in the future.

TP and OOT outselling any of the cel-shading Zelda by some margin is evidence enough for me. Furthermore, Leondexter's and Toski's posts were the back-up I needed when I said WW cel-shading direction did had a negative impact on Nintendo and Miyamoto, being out of touch, didn't manage to see it.

About Iwata, there was a post from another topic about what Iwata made for Nintendo and all Iwata's defenders should read it:

The GameCube was always going to "fail" in the sense that Nintendo (very optimistically) expected that they could take the console throne back from Sony and the PS2, or at least seriously compete for it SNES/Genesis-style, in the console's first year. That was never even close to happening.

But when it failed to to that, Iwata called it a failure and began to shut things down. And that caused the GameCube to fail even harder and allowed Microsoft to surpass them with the XBox, a mistake which Iwata himself even recently admitted and said that he learned from when the 3DS was in trouble.

Iwata's new direction that he charted with Wii included the philosophy "We will never win against our hardware competitors on even terms, so why bother wasting energy trying?" And he was celebrated for that. But that retroactively added another level of failure to the GameCube. The GameCube tried to compete, and according to Iwata, it wasted it's time. And anyone who believed in the GameCube was a fool for doing so, because Iwata didn't follow though, which means that next time Nintendo asks us to believe in their commitment to hardware, we won't, because we've heard that lie before.

The GameCube was a fantastic piece of hardware. It was better and more dev-friendly than the PS2, on par with the Xbox, and profitable at 2/3 the price of either console, both of which were losing serious money.

And waggle was a GameCube innovation. It was being shown to GameCube devs (in an unfinished state) even before the GameCube launch. When Iwata saw that the GameCube was a failure, he took everything that was good about the GameCube and relaunched with a new name. If Nintendo had produced a "GameCube 2" instead of a "GameCube Turbo", with all the strength shown in the GameCube's design, people would have still been lining up around the block at E3 for a chance to experience waggle for the first time. It wasn't Wii's lack of 720p that drew people to the system, and it sure wasn't Nintendo's profit margin, which vastly exceeded the N64 and GameCube's profit margins.

Sony fell on their face with the PS3. And Microsoft's biggest advantage was their one-year head start. Howard Lincoln learned from the SNES and told the world (as mentioned in this article) that being first to market was meaningless. Because the industry would wait for Nintendo. That sort of happened with the N64. That did not happen at all with the PS2/GameCube. And that one year head start is what made it utterly impossible for the GameCube to catch the PS2. Iwata identified this as arrogance and vowed that he would launch first in the next gen. And then MS to beat them to market with the 360. And then he dismissed that second blindness regarding Microsoft, claiming that MS wasn't a real competitor, only Sony was. And yet, the 360's head start gave that upstart MS the lead against Sony for several years.

I would maintain that if Nintendo had launched a 720p-capable dev-friendly and profitable GameCube 2, before or around the time of the 360's launch, powered up with the immense demand we have seen for waggle, the videogame industry would have been revolutionized (as opposed to being fractured between casual and hardcore), Nintendo would have been the lead console, Microsoft would have nearly fallen off the map, and Sony would have remained an expensive but needless alternative. Nintendo would have won our current generation of consoles, their third party relations would be repaired, and they would be the hands-down favorite to win next gen.

But instead, they made mad bank for a few years, and now they're paying for it.

I'm not quite sure you're aware of how well the Wii and DS sold for Nintendo.

The 3DS is already picking up massive amounts of steam and everyone was prepared to doom it to failure in it's first year as well. Japanese companies play the long game, I wouldn't come anywhere close to counting Nintendo and Iwata out yet.

Not this again. This was already discussed countless times in this thread.

For the same reason Iwata's defenders uses revisionism and falacious claims to sustain Wii's direction being totally successful, brought Nintendo billions

I'm not quite sure you're aware of how well the Wii and DS sold for Nintendo.

The 3DS is already picking up massive amounts of steam and everyone was prepared to doom it to failure in it's first year as well. Japanese companies play the long game, I wouldn't come anywhere close to counting Nintendo and Iwata out yet.

About Iwata, there was a post from another topic about what Iwata made for Nintendo and all Iwata's defenders should read it:

Assuming that you agree with that post, and I'm guessing you do since you quoted it, I'll ask you this question.

What direction would you have taken Nintendo in after the Gamecube's failure?

And if your answer is any version of "doing what the other guys did", what would you have done if that strategy failed?

Assuming that you agree with that post, and I'm guessing you do since you quoted it, I'll ask you this question.

What direction would you have taken Nintendo in after the Gamecube's failure?

And if your answer is any version of "doing what the other guys did", what would you have done if that strategy failed?

I guess the answer is quite clear in Cheerilee's post.

iMax

I hope Iwata doesn't resign. Who else have this sexy hair and can present Nintendo Direct? :(

reggie-fils-aime.jpg

I guess the answer is quite clear in Cheerilee's post.

It's a pretty optimistic crystal ball, and that's all well and good, but you didn't answer my second question. What happens if that strategy fails?

What if things went that way, Nintendo sold less units, maintained their first place spot with less profit, and then burned out a large amount of their warchest on R&D for the Wii's successor? And still ended up where they are now?

Top Bottom