• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iwata implies he may resign over poor business performance

VariantX

Fresh talent need mentors. Firing Miyamoto or Iwata resigning wouldn't solve any of Nintendo's immediate problems. It would just create a leadership vacuum that would be extremely difficult to replace, and would likely throw Nintendo's release schedules in even more disarray than they already are.

Who said anything about firing him?? He just doesn't need to be the guy that filters every thing that comes from the comoany anymore. He should be training and advising the new guys along with working on smaller stuff

Ok, if we follow the "bigger userbase, better sales" argument, shouldn't Wii TP be the best seller of all Zelda games?

I'm talking about sales, not about the game itself.

TP is one of the best selling Zelda's. OoT was on another level, in the same way FFX not outselling 7 doesnt mean it failed.

SMD

In which dimension do you live, guys? I mean, is Mario Galaxy a casual game without hardcore mechanics? Maybe Xenoblade?
Nintendo stopped to push the hardware when doing so was meaningless from a playability point of view.
I mean, just NAME a game on Xbox 360 or PS3 that, except for the graphical advantage, wouldn't be possible on the Wii.

Oblivion/Fallout 3/Skyrim/open world

Basically there is a trade off, the extra power can greatly influence gameplay and AI but from next gen on, we should see more refinements than massive steps. Something like CD Projekt's cyberpunk game could in theory be done on PS360 but would look and play much better on next gen machines.

So Assassin's Creed - not possible on Wii, technically doable on PS360, much better on next gen.

Schnozberry

Who said anything about firing him?? He just doesn't need to be the guy that filters every thing that comes from the comoany anymore. He should be training and advising the new guys along with working on smaller stuff

Pray tell, who would you put in his position?

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
And let's not pretend that the image a console needed back then was as the "mature games " machine or whatever. The original Xbox could probably be considered a case of what happens when you go in the complete opposite direction -- largely known for shooters and games from PC developers. It sold about the same as the Gamecube.

What worked so well with the PS1 and PS2 in particular is that they didn't really have an image. They were just "the game console." You could get everything on the PS2 just about. From what I remember the only genre in which the PS2 was kind of weak was shooters.

What a console needed and probably still needs is a simple to grasp, reasonably predictable image. PS1 built its reputation on the back of Nintendo's and Sega's mistakes as "the place to be" for console gaming, and PS2 did a fine job living up to the market's expectations from a "sequel console", so it worked well. The fact that Microsoft were new in the business and didn't really have clue what they were doing only made it easier for Sony to sustain their lead, despite having a difficult first year and an inferior development environment.

Similarly Nintendo's most successful home console was also the one with the clearest image.

Hakai

This a post from another thread:

Don't have the numbers for Skyward Sword though. Yet, the numbers speak for themselves.

Actually where is the source, I did a quick research on google and found a little different Numbers.

1987 NES Legend of Zelda 6.51M
1988 NES Zelda II: Adventure of Link 4.38M
1992 SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 4.61M
1998 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 7.60M
2000 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3.36M
2003 GC The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 4.6M
2006 Wii / GC The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Wii: 5.82M
GC: 1.32M
Total: 7.14M

So yeah aside from OOT and the first one, WW sale is pretty much with the norm. TP sales are overall better for a couple of factors that has nothing to do with the artstyle.

First was launched in 2 consoles, and in one of them it was a launch title. And one of those consoles was a big hit when launched.

JoeM86

He's been saying the last few years that it is what he's doing

Brickhunt

I agree that Nintendo did right by not trying to go to the powerhouse route. There is no way it could compete with Sony Microsoft.

That said, I do think Nintendo severely overestimated the role of the Gamepad. The resources spent in the controller could had been turned to the console's power or invested on improving the Wiimote & Nunchaku. Having as a sell point games that simply can't be done in a Kinect without a controller.

I can see Nintendo's worry on losing the motion controlling race to Kinect 2. But the Gamepad was a very drastic move that it has failed prove itself. An improved Wiimote was a much safer bet.

On the thread's main topic. I think Iwata should have at least have a chance to turn the tables on the Wii U situation. Even with a botched release, you can still turn the tides. It's not like changing leadership right now, in the middle of a company re-structuring, is going to do well.

If the Wii U situations proves to be irreversible, then yes, I do think Iwata should get the boot from CEO. (Not from Nintendo, he needs to keep doing Iwata asks)

TP is one of the best selling Zelda's. OoT was on another level, in the same way FFX not outselling 7 doesnt mean it failed.

Because you're saying Wind Waker sales can't be counted because it was on a system who sold badly and this is not a valid argument. Ocarina of Time was for N64, a system less succesful than NES, SNES and Wii and managed to bring the best seller of the franchise (or is Zelda NES? I don't know)

Celine

Didn't WW sell about 5 millions? Which is about the series average for the console Zelda games?

Only one I know reached about 8 was TP and that one was massively hyped and was available for 2 consoles and the Wii Launch.
CC8iRZv.png

Fandangox

Because you're saying Wind Waker sales can't be counted because it was on a system who sold badly and this is not a valid argument. Ocarina of Time was for N64, a system less succesful than NES, SNES and Wii and managed to bring the best seller of the franchise (or is Zelda NES? I don't know)

He is not saying it shouldn't be counted. He is just bringing proper context to the figures.

And anyway WW sold pretty much like the usual Zelda games sell, so the initial argument doesn't hold much water anyway.

Certainly, we can, and do. Firstly, because handhelds and consoles are not the same thing, so it's really only worked once - with the Wii. Secondly, because the weaker hardware was not a major factor in its success. And lastly, because the weaker hardware was a major factor in its lack of support and early, extremely fast decline.

It was easy to see, and predicted by many, that the Wii U would suffer from lack of support, and related consumer disinterest, if its hardware were not a generational leap in power above PS3/360. Nintendo compounded that problem with other mistakes, but it is clearly a problem.

Criticism of their decision to go this route is well-deserved.

It certainly is a problem, but the odds are not high that more competitive specs alone would have helped enough to get them anywhere near multiplatform release parity. The perception that third-party core games can't sell on Nintendo consoles is just too longstanding and too deeply entrenched to be erased by any one, or two, or probably even three things Nintendo chose not to do.

Shion

Iwata was actually in charge of the development of the GameCube prior to being named CEO by Yamauchi. One of the reasons Iwata was picked as CEO was because Yamauchi was so impressed with the engineering and design work that Iwata and his team exhibited in creating the GameCube. I don't remember his exact title within the company at the time, but if you go back to interviews from several years ago, Iwata is actually quite proud of the GameCube, despite the low install base.
I always thought that the reason behind GameCube's awesome hardware had more to do with the fact that Nintendo let engineers from Factor 5 and Rare to handle its design.

Gannd

Banned
If there existed a console identical to the other two that had all the multiplatform games IN ADDITION to Nintendo's games, it wold be my only console. That's what I think everyone has wanted since the end of the SNES era.

Still, it remains to be seen whether Nintendo COULD engineer an up-to-par machine and sell it at profit for a good price. I mean, they did so with every console up until the Wii. It's just that since then R&D on a new control method has supposedly eaten up money. What if Nintendo did merely do a "Super Wii" -- a console in the same ballpark the PS4 with a pro controller and an enhanced Wii Remote as its sole inputs?

But whatever. We may never know this.

The GameCube was the same powerlevel (and more powerful than the Ps2) and that didn't happen.A simple fact is that 3rd parties don't like competing against Nintendo. Nintendo is the largest software game publisher in the world.

Actually where is the source, I did a quick research on google and found a little different Numbers.

1987 NES Legend of Zelda 6.51M
1988 NES Zelda II: Adventure of Link 4.38M
1992 SNES The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 4.61M
1998 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 7.60M
2000 N64 The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3.36M
2003 GC The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 4.6M
2006 Wii / GC The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Wii: 5.82M
GC: 1.32M
Total: 7.14M

So yeah aside from OOT and the first one, WW sale is pretty much with the norm. TP sales are overall better for a couple of factors that has nothing to do with the artstyle.

First was launched in 2 consoles, and in one of them it was a launch title. And one of those consoles was a big hit when launched.

He is not saying it shouldn't be counted. He is just bringing proper context to the figures.

And anyway WW sold pretty much like the usual Zelda games sell, so the initial argument doesn't hold much water anyway.

Yes, the numbers for WW sales I posted were wrong, but still, cel-shading Zelda games had a decline in sales.

Wind Waker: 4.6 million
Phantom Hourglass: 4.13 million http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2008/080425e.pdf
Spirit Tracks: 2.61 million http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/05/06/wii-and-ds-sales-fall
Skyward Sword: 3.04 million http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/120127e.pdf#page=7

Spirit Tracks had a decline in sales in comparison to Phantom Hourglass. Twilight Princess outsold Wind Waker and Skyward Sword had a decline both for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Yes, cel-shading Zelda games are falling in sales.

Hakai

Yes, the numbers for WW sales I posted were wrong, but still, cel-shading Zelda games had a decline in sales.

Phantom Hourglass: 4.13 million http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2008/080425e.pdf
Spirit Tracks: 2.61 million http://www.ign.com/articles/2010/05/06/wii-and-ds-sales-fall
Skyward Sword: 3.04 million http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2012/120127e.pdf#page=7

Spirit Tracks had a decline in sales in comparison to Phantom Hourglass. Twilight Princess outsold Wind Waker and Skyward Sword had a decline both for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

Spirit Tracks was a sequel, as Majora's Mask, and both again had a loss in sales.

You are the one failing in prove your point here.

from what the chart shows, the first handheld celda sold bettern than the only other handheld zelda on that list.

why you would compare handheld sales to console sales in the first place i dont understand.

So what are you guys arguing here? I dont get it.

So what are you guys arguing here? I dont get it.

Nintendo decided to change the aesthetics of the series with Wind Waker, after the hype created by the Spaceworld 2000 demo and decided to keep that aesthetics onward. The only time they didn't made a cel-shading game, which was Twilight Princess, it became, of all of the post-Wind Waker games, the game on the series with better sales overall.

This is an evidence that cel-shading Zelda games don't have the same sales potential from "realistic" Zelda games.

He is trying to prove that Celshaded graphics sux, and uberpowerfulgraphics rox!!!

yeah I know ¬¬'

No, I'm not. You're just narrow minded and revealed to be a fanboy after this post.

i may be wrong, but i think TreasureHunter was attempting to use an argument of cel shaded zeldas having lower sales then the series average (which is being debated) to prove an entirely different argument. Could be wrong though.

Thanks.

WhyMe6

Nintendo decided to change the aesthetics of the series with Wind Waker, after the hype created by the Spaceworld 2000 demo and decided to keep that aesthetics onward. The only time they didn't made a cel-shading game, which was Twilight Princess, it became, of all of the post-Wind Waker games, the game on the series with better sales overall.

This is an evidence that cel-shading Zelda games don't have the same sales potential from "realistic" Zelda games..

I think that this cel-shading sales pattern is definitely a sound interpretation of the sales data, but I don't think it's the only interpretation.

> Wind Waker's comparatively low sales can be attributed to the low install base of the GCN.
> Twilight Princess's high Wii sales can be attributed to it being the star of the launch lineup. Golly, Zelda at launch. That was seriously good business.
> Skyward Sword's low Wii sales can be attributed to the fact that it was so focused on motion control, thus turning people off the game.
> Phantom Hourglass's high sales can be attributed to the fact that it was touted as a sequel to Wind Waker. Spirit Tracks fell so much because people were likely soured by Phantom Hourglass.

I think we need more data to analyse whether or not cel-shading really has that effect. And I don't think Wind Waker HD will be an indication of this.

I think that this cel-shading sales pattern is definitely a sound interpretation of the sales data, but I don't think it's the only interpretation.

> Wind Waker's comparatively low sales can be attributed to the low install base of the GCN.
> Twilight Princess's high Wii sales can be attributed to it being the star of the launch lineup. Golly, Zelda at launch. That was seriously good business.
> Skyward Sword's low Wii sales can be attributed to the fact that it was so focused on motion control, thus turning people off the game.
> Phantom Hourglass's high sales can be attributed to the fact that it was touted as a sequel to Wind Waker. Spirit Tracks fell so much because people were likely soured by Phantom Hourglass.

I think we need more data to analyse whether or not cel-shading really has that effect. And I don't think Wind Waker HD will be an indication of this.

Well, didn't Twilight Princess had motion controls as well?

Looking at sales of zeldas, a lot of it just seems to be either statistcal noise, or can be explained by things other than it being cel shaded. Any conclusion you can take from the sales data is people just trying to prove thoeries they have already became embeded in, and not a good unbiased look at the data.

Well, didn't Twilight Princess had motion controls as well?

but this is also before motion controls were dragged through the dirt by horrible implementation in countless games.

You could also say that SS sold worse due to the general lack of enthusism for almost anything wii related. The wii by that time was already out (or just about out) of the general core gaming publics mindset. By the time SS came out, people had simply moved on from the wii.

StevieP

Banned
but this is also before motion controls were dragged through the dirt by horrible implementation in countless games.

You could also say that SS sold worse due to the general lack of enthusism for almost anything wii related. The wii by that time was already out (or just about out) of the general core gaming publics mindset. By the time SS came out, people had simply moved on from the wii.

Nah. It required a peripheral that didn't come with many people's consoles.

Nah. It required a peripheral that didn't come with many people's consoles.

This. For the same reason Majora's required the Expansion Pak to play it.

Looking at sales of zeldas, a lot of it just seems to be either statistcal noise, or can be explained by things other than it being cel shaded. Any conclusion you can take from the sales data is people just trying to prove thoeries they have already became embeded in, and not a good unbiased look at the data.

So, conclusions from sales data = biased? Ok...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Haven't cared for their software since FZero
1990? I think it's time to just admit that Nintendo games are just not your cup of tea and that has nothing to do with Iwata. He was at HAL at the time for starters.

Unless you're talking about the release a few weeks back then I have no idea why you're complaining. A couple of bad weeks means Iwata has lost the plot? I know this month has been a bit quiet but Luigi's Mansion 2 is out so there's no need to cry.

Raven77

Iwata, you seem like a great guy.

I'm sorry, but its time to go. Please take Reggie with you on your way out.

Nintendo, please get back on track. Thanks.

royalan

So, conclusions from sales data = biased? Ok...

Right!?

I have yet to see a compelling argument for why Iwata should remain in his position besides waxing poetic on his past successes or just plain delusion about the evils that would befall Nintendo if Iwata weren't leading. Not. A. Single. Solid. Line. Of. Reasoning.

JordanN

Banned
My heart raced seeing this thread again. I thought Iwata was actually going to be fired. @_@

A shame it isn't. It's just the same posts that defend every reckless Nintendo decision, blame Gamecube, ignore Wii U's faltering etc.

Clear as day from the Zelda sales; the first game on a system sells the best, the second is a drop. Not exactly enough data to call that a conclusive trend but its certainly a striking similarity on all the platforms its been on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
As a big Zelda and motion control fan, it does my heart good to see Skyward Sword selling poorly. I'm struggling with the control so much it's starting to piss me off.

Do you remember to aim and then take your item out? You centre point always recalibrates when you take out an item so if you're point downwards while you take the item out and then aim at the TV your aim will be way off.

Anth0ny

Besides, do you really want a third, near identical, console?

The second coming of the Super Nintendo? I wouldn't mind that.

Yes, the Wii U is failing to grab traction, but Nintendo will do what they always do, and be Nintendo. Cleaning house at Nintendo would not do anything but perhaps irreparably damaging the company by deciding to go foolish routes that would result in lower financials, and perhaps the loss of the company.

they did it in 2004 and turned out just fine.

Eccocid

The GameCube was the same powerlevel (and more powerful than the Ps2) and that didn't happen.A simple fact is that 3rd parties don't like competing against Nintendo. Nintendo is the largest software game publisher in the world.

I thought it was Acti-Blizzard or EA.

Right!?

I have yet to see a compelling argument for why Iwata should remain in his position besides waxing poetic on his past successes or just plain delusion about the evils that would befall Nintendo if Iwata weren't leading. Not. A. Single. Solid. Line. Of. Reasoning.
My statement had nothing to do with iwata, it was just stating you can't really extrapolate any good info on if cel shading changing the sales potential of zelda

Clear as day from the Zelda sales; the first game on a system sells the best, the second is a drop. Not exactly enough data to call that a conclusive trend but its certainly a striking similarity on all the platforms its been on.

You talk like it's impossible for a sequel to outsell the predecessor and this never, ever, happened before. What makes you believe a sequel for a previous Zelda game on the same system couldn't outsell it?

This seems like a breach to find an excuse to hide the fact the last games on the series had a decline in sales.

Meelow

Banned
As a big Zelda and motion control fan, it does my heart good to see Skyward Sword selling poorly. I'm struggling with the control so much it's starting to piss me off.

It pains me that a Zelda fan would be happy to see a Zelda game "struggle".

I don't understand why people can't get use to the controls, I got use to them in a day and I felt it has the best gameplay, I hope they bring back motion control in Zelda Wii U.

Tobor

My heart raced seeing this thread again. I thought Iwata was actually going to be fired. @_@

A shame it isn't. It's just the same posts that defend every reckless Nintendo decision, blame Gamecube, ignore Wii U's faltering etc.

He will be. Only a matter of time.

Top Bottom