• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes February 10th

Megatron

The fact that I have both systems and the ps4 downloads and installs night and day differently than my Xbox 1

Also when destiny released
Xbox1 was sales leader in physical hardware but there was more users in ps4

But that was just attributable to the destiny bundle though, which aren't counted in sales. We really dont know anything about the digital buying habits on either system, so speculating is useless. Its just literally making things up.

jn20900

Neo Member
The fact that I have both systems and the ps4 downloads and installs night and day differently than my Xbox 1

Well couldn't that be because outside of U.S Ps4 is crushing the Xbox One? You might see more players because more software is sold overall on ps4.

You and I don't know what's going on in the background. It's only a 'thought' anyway.

Your thought is a bit misguided.

Indies are having a tough time with issues outside of the market demand, and major pubs are not thinking at all of abandoning development.

Apologies for my initial response tone :( was uncalled for.

Install and download speeds.

If you buy the same game on both systems at the same time... (something I'm not going to do just to prove a point) chances are you will be up and running on ps4 long before you're on x1 (judging this from the drastic difference I see in both my systems)
Okay? Lol

I don't see the install time being an issue. Both can auto download remotely. I would actually think that more PS4 users are physical due to the massive backlash that MS got on its used game initiative. Many people out there still believe you can't trade in games on the XBO.

jn20900

Neo Member
When they say most software per system, that just means physical right?

I feel like when you have ps4 you primarily go digital (I could be wrong though)

I doubt it i think that since so many finally got Xboxes during holidays they are now buying games for it. I wouldn't see why more people would go digital on ps4.

Colbert

Banned
More people seem to buy digitally on PS4 than Xbox One.
How do you come to that conclusion? We have seen in the last generation that SW sales were better on Xbox most of the time. For me it look like that Xbox owners are just spend more money on their platform.

I personally and many of my friends are all-digital. I do not own a single disc for my >20 games on my Xbox One.

More people seem to buy digitally on PS4 than Xbox One.

I don't think it has to mean it has sold more software. They said it has sold more software per system. Thats completely different.

Take it like this, lets say there is 6milion x1 in us and 7 million ps4.
Lets say x1 sold 6 million software during january. That makes it 1 sold game per system.
if ps4 sold 6 million software during January it would automatically be less games per system sold. it would 6/7 which would be around 0,8 game sold per ps4 system during january. Lets even say ps4 sold 6.2 million software it would be 6.2/7 which makes it around 0,88 games per system. My point is the xbox1 does not need to sell more or as much software as ps4 to sell more software per system because and its most likely have a bit smaller install base in the us. This is a guess but I think ps4 overall sold more software during January but xbox sold more software per system as they tweeted.

RoKKeR

Unsupported reasons? Run a search on the forums, there is no argument as to which system is quicker when it comes to digital purchases.

You are talking out of your ass, please stop."Forum searches" (this is rich) about install times have absolutely zero bearing on which user base downloads more of their games than buys from retail.

Looks like I'll be lurking the NPD thread today if I can expect more of this and the results aren't even out yet.

iceatcs

I always buy them but

I always thought that was to avoid putting CC information on PSN

I am loving current sony but i don't want to take the risk lol

Yes but that could be that people prefer not to use credit cards on psn

I wouldn't use that as my proxy. A counterpoint would be that PS users are afraid to leave their CC information on Sony's servers due to the multiple times that Sony has been hacked.

Edit: EVERYONE HAD THE SAME IDEA :)

That's the only way to buy stuff from american PSN if you don't have american credit card.

Exactly what you use for? buy digital contents on PS devices.

You are talking out of your ass, please stop."Forum searches" (this is rich) about install times has absolutely zero bearing on which user base downloads more of their games than buys from retail.

Looks like I'll be lurking the NPD thread today if I can expect more of this and the results aren't even out yet.

I can't understand either... If I had to guess (having experience with both) is that the XB1 would have a higher % of digital due to more prevalent ads and EA Access... But it's probably about the same... Download times would not really factor into that at all as it's usually an option between digital/physical no digital on xb1 vs digital on ps4.

I actually think the PS4 probably does have greater digital sales than the XO, for a few reasons:

-The PS4 has a larger library, and far more digital titles than the XO. There's simply more choice for PS4 owners to spend their money on than XO owners.
-The Xbox brand had always targeted itself more at the mainstream, white male Shooter fan, and is far more heavily associated with AAA titles, so will naturally have higher retail sales.
-Digital is far easier on PSN, thanks to cross buy, PS+ and nice quick download times.
-We know from other sales threads that retail sales put the attach ratio for software in the XO's sales, however from Sony recently we learnt that the overall attach ratio for the PS4 is unusually high for this point in most consoles lives, so there's definitely a massive amount of digital purchases.

While it's all conjecture, and there's no numbers or official comparisons to know for sure, I'd say it's a safe bet that the PS4 is doing better with digital sales than the XO myself.

CozMick

Banned
I can't understand either... If I had to guess (having experience with both) is that the XB1 would have a higher % of digital due to more prevalent ads and EA Access... But it's probably about the same... Download times would not really factor into that at all as it's usually an option between digital/physical no digital on xb1 vs digital on ps4.

You're forgetting free PS+ content.

Exactly what you use for? buy digital contents on PS devices.

Your missing the point. I don't think a lot of people trust the CC information with Sony thus they buy a voucher from AMZN or GS and redeem the code for credit to their account, they then use this credit to buy games.

Sony has a torrid history of security, and I don't think people trust them at all.

I have a feeling that XBO users are willing to put their Paypal or CC information on MS' servers. MS' gift cards barely chart other than the $10 one.

Top Bottom