• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes February 10th

On Demand

Banned
I'm a bit surprised XB1 sold more software than PS4.

Same. But the increase in sales over the holidays naturally will make more software get sold no?

Edit-

Nevermind.

When they say most software per system, that just means physical right?

I feel like when you have ps4 you primarily go digital (I could be wrong though)

No. I only buy physical copies. I do the same with movies. Digital is not my thing.

Blanquito

I believe It means software:hardware ratio of xone is higher than other consoles.

Ahh, that's the explanation that makes sense. Thanks.

If this is what that quote is supposed to mean, it doesn't even necessarily mean that there were more TOTAL sales, just a higher ratio of software:hardware. Maybe.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

If this is what that quote is supposed to mean, it doesn't even necessarily mean that there were more TOTAL sales, just a higher ratio of software:hardware. Maybe.

Seems to me it's MS telling devs they're still worth supporting ...

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah I have both as well and the PS4 digital experience has been far, far superior to that of the XB1.

But I don't know if that will be a big deal to many.

I know the disc install times are very different but how different is the time for downloading games? It's usually pretty fast for me on XB1 (I'm on a 80 Mbps connection though).

I know there were problems this past Holiday season but I think that was mainly due to all of the free digital game bundles (servers getting hammered).

Yeah I think they are just talking about attach rate.

shanew21

The fact that I have both systems and the ps4 downloads and installs night and day differently than my Xbox 1

Also when destiny released
Xbox1 was sales leader in physical hardware but there was more users in ps4

Destiny was bundled with the system. Those units didn't count in NPD.

You can't just say the PS4 has more digital sales without numbers. One could argue that since the installs on the Xbox One are slower, more people are inclined to digital download there. The flawed logic can flow both ways.

cakely

Ah "most software per system" ... so they mean, highest retail tie in ratio?

Overall, or for January, I wonder.

Also, they didn't say "most software", period, so some other console had that honor.

English isn't my native language, but isn't that the same as saying they sold more software than any other system?

No, or?

If the first console sells 1000 Systems and 1000 games, it's one game per system.
If the second is selling only 10 Systems and 100 games, it's 10 games per system.

So, the second one wins...?

RoKKeR

The fact that I have both systems and the ps4 downloads and installs night and day differently than my Xbox 1

Also when destiny released
Xbox1 was sales leader in physical hardware but there was more users in ps4

So two entirely unsupported reasons, got it.

Are you referring to the NPD month in which Destiny released with the whole "XB1 sales leader but PS4 has more users" things? If so you aren't including PS4 bundle sales of which there were many in September.

The PS4 may very well have a larger percentage of the audience that purchases digital content, especially because it has a larger install base. At the same time you can't exactly say that without having at least a shred of evidence... of which you seemingly have none. Hate to be stingy but that's how these threads go.

gtj1092

I'm having a hard time believing the install base of PS4/X1 will exceed 56m by the end of this year according to Ubisoft.

Yeah I don't see that happening either but more specifically that we have gotten 3 different sales estimates from 3 different sources that should be in the know. If UniSoft is right wouldn't that put x1 sales under 10 million according to the them?

ZhugeEX

Banned
very, very few people predicted xbox one would be less than last year.

"record january sales" doesn't mean anything.

But It would imply over 140k? Right?

Hence why I said we can say with some confidence that Xbox One will be over 140k this month.

Yeah I don't see that happening either but more specifically that we have gotten 3 different sales estimates from 3 different sources that should be in the know. If UniSoft is right wouldn't that put x1 sales under 10 million according to the them?

We can't give an exact figure at all.

It's also likely that AMD and Take Two are using the same source (IDG) and that Ubisoft are using their own internal estimates.

Therefore, all we can say is that Xbox One could possibly be between ~9.5m sold through and ~11.5m sold through as of end of 2014. Based on the actual data we have from NPD / Gfk + trends we could possibly estimate that X1 sales will be over ~10m. But we can't say for sure.

All we can say is PS4 was over 18.5m

BokehKing

Banned
And how could you possibly back that up?
Install and download speeds.

If you buy the same game on both systems at the same time... (something I'm not going to do just to prove a point) chances are you will be up and running on ps4 long before you're on x1 (judging this from the drastic difference I see in both my systems)

I know the disc install times are very different but how different is the time for downloading games? It's usually pretty fast for me on XB1 (I'm on a 80 Mbps connection though).

I know there were problems this past Holiday season but I think that was mainly due to all of the free digital game bundles (servers getting hammered).

It's hard to say because the XB1 doesn't actually show me my actual download speed or how much it's downloaded, it just gives a generic "Installing" % which lumps together both the download and install.

I've just generally felt that from the time I hit download to the time I'm playing is faster on PS4. It doesn't help that my experience preloading FH2 and Halo on XB1 was quite unpleasant, FH2 unlocked like 4 hours late (almost 3 am) and Halo had to redownload the entire thing for some reason.

Anyways - it's crazy hard to speculate whether or one console base goes digital more than the other

tesla246

English isn't my native language, but isn't that the same as saying they sold more software than any other system?

That happened only on holiday and Titanfall month, no?
Example:
XONE sells 100 k and 200k software, making for a 1:2 ratio for hardware/software respectively.
Ps4 sells 200k and 300 k software, making for a ratio of 1:1.5 for hardware/ software respectively.

You can see XONE has higher average software sales per hardware unit, but in absolute numbers sells 100k less. I think that is the spin we are seeing here from MS pr.

donny2112

Devs are not going to abandon XB1

The XB1 and PS4 need each other. Games are the life blood flowing through both.

the-two-fridas.jpg

BokehKing

Banned
So two entirely unsupported reasons, got it.

Are you referring to the NPD month in which Destiny released with the whole "XB1 sales leader but PS4 has more users" things? If so you aren't including PS4 bundle sales of which there were many in September.

The PS4 may very well have a larger percentage of the audience that purchases digital content, especially because it has a larger install base. At the same time you can't exactly say that without having at least a shred of evidence... of which you seemingly have none. Hate to be stingy but that's how these threads go.
Unsupported reasons? Run a search on the forums, there is no argument as to which system is quicker when it comes to digital purchases.

Yes I guess I'm talking about the month were destiny was a digital pre order code for Sony and the physical copy was being offered for free by Microsoft. Yeah I remember that well

Chobel

I believe It means software:hardware ratio of xone is higher than other consoles.
No, or?

If the first console sells 1000 Systems and 1000 games, it's one game per system.
If the second is selling only 10 Systems and 100 games, it's 10 games per system.

So, the second one wins...?
Example:
xone sells 100 k an 200k software, making for a 1:2 ratio for hardware/software respectively.
Ps4 sells 200k and 300 k software, making for a ratio of 1:1.5 for hardware/ software respectively.

You can see xone has higher average software sales per hardware unit, but in absolute numbers sells 100k less. I thinkt thats the spin we are seeing here from ms pr.
Ah, OK.

Read it again, it seems you have been caught up in the Microsoft PR machine.

Indeed I have :(

Top Bottom