• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Hi GAF, I’m travelling with 4 other friends to Japan and China in a week. While I probably should have asked for feedback during the planning stages and not a week before my trip, it is still better late than never so here are my plans for Japan. Any feedback is much appreciated.

After our arrival, we’ll be heading to Lake Kawaguchi and spend a night there. The next day, we’re planning on checking out the Lake, the Fuji Speedway, and the local hot springs. The day after, we’ll depart to Hakone early in the morning by car. We’ll return to Tokyo passing by Kamakura. If time permits, we’ll also visit the Sankei-en garden and cross the Yokohama Bay Bridge. By night we hope to arrive at our hostel where we’ll spend the next 5 nights.

In Tokyo, there a lot to cover and nothing is yet set in stone. This is how I was thinking on tackling everything there is to see (grouped by location)

• Day 1: Shibuya + Shinjuku — Day: Meiji Shrine, Harajuku district, Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden / Evening: Halloween parties, Kabukicho
  • Day 2: Minato + Shibuya — Day: Tokyo Tower, Roppongi Hills, Shibuya Crossing / Evening: Tokyo Ramen Show
  • Day 3: Taito + Tokyo — Day: Tokyo Skytree, Asakusa district, Senso-ji Temple, Tokyo National Museum, Tokyo University, Yanasen district / Evening: Akihabara, Pt. 1
  • Day 4: Tokyo — Day: Kagurazaka neighbourhood, Imperial Palace (Cherry Trees pathway if they are in bloom, probably not), Edo-Tokyo Museum / Evening: Akihabara, Pt. 2
  • Day 5: Mitaka — Day: Studio Ghibli Museum, Cinema Staff concert? / Evening: Depart to Narita and spend the night there.
We’re spending the last night in Narita, because out flight in really early in the morning and some people in the group wanted to do that instead of sleeping in Tokyo and wake up in the middle of the night.

Are there important things I am missing? What would you guys do differently? I’m all ears for any suggestions. :)

Zyzyxxz

Unless I was going to Kabukicho for the Robot Restaurant there's very little other reason for me to go there unless you are looking for a "massage".

HKnightz

going to Japan with my wife for a week on Halloween :).
So far I have my JR exchange pass and just looking at spots to eat. We're gonna be staying in Tokyo for 4 days and Kyoto for another 4 days. Got hotel places settled (Bunkyo in Tokyo, and Sakura Terrace for Kyoto). One thing that I was happy to learn was that T-mobile provides free (slow) data and texting so getting around shouldn't be as hard.

Should I bring US cash and just exchange it there? I have a bank of america ATM card and will use chase INK card if it makes any difference.

Also, is it too late for us to get tickets into the Ghibli Museum? We're big fans but tried weeks ago to get them through agencies here in the US to no avail.

We're super excited and would welcome any tips and advice that you guys may have :).

Theodran

• Day 1: Shibuya + Shinjuku — Day: Meiji Shrine, Harajuku district, Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden / Evening: Halloween parties, Kabukicho
  • Day 2: Minato + Shibuya — Day: Tokyo Tower, Roppongi Hills, Shibuya Crossing / Evening: Tokyo Ramen Show
  • Day 3: Taito + Tokyo — Day: Tokyo Skytree, Asakusa district, Senso-ji Temple, Tokyo National Museum, Tokyo University, Yanasen district / Evening: Akihabara, Pt. 1
  • Day 4: Tokyo — Day: Kagurazaka neighbourhood, Imperial Palace (Cherry Trees pathway if they are in bloom, probably not), Edo-Tokyo Museum / Evening: Akihabara, Pt. 2
  • Day 5: Mitaka — Day: Studio Ghibli Museum, Cinema Staff concert? / Evening: Depart to Narita and spend the night there.

Unless Day 1 is not Halloween I would recommend going to the Shibuya scramble crossing because it's an absolutely insane experience. It's where the main Halloween parties are in Tokyo.

Also, you'll be sorely disappointed in Akihabara in the evening, it's definitely not worth spending two evenings there. One evening is enough, to be honest.

In Tokyo, there a lot to cover and nothing is yet set in stone. This is how I was thinking on tackling everything there is to see (grouped by location)

Eh, Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden wasn't that good IMO. Could just go to one of the other parks in Tokyo. Like Yoyogi Park next to the Meiji Shrine.

Also, you'll be sorely disappointed in Akihabara in the evening, it's definitely not worth spending two evenings there. One evening is enough, to be honest.

Depends on what you're there for. Oh, and don't get there too late. Stores starts closing at 8 or so.

Also, is it too late for us to get tickets into the Ghibli Museum? We're big fans but tried weeks ago to get them through agencies here in the US to no avail.

You can get expensive scalper tickets here:
https://www.govoyagin.com/activities/get-tickets-to-ghibli-museum-in-tokyo/186

going to Japan with my wife for a week on Halloween :).
So far I have my JR exchange pass and just looking at spots to eat. We're gonna be staying in Tokyo for 4 days and Kyoto for another 4 days. Got hotel places settled (Bunkyo in Tokyo, and Sakura Terrace for Kyoto). One thing that I was happy to learn was that T-mobile provides free (slow) data and texting so getting around shouldn't be as hard.

Should I bring US cash and just exchange it there? I have a bank of america ATM card and will use chase INK card if it makes any difference.

We're super excited and would welcome any tips and advice that you guys may have :).

Personally what I do is exchange a bit of cash beforehand (like $100-200) just to make sure you can eat/get out of the airport/etc. But then just use an ATM at 7-11 for cash.

Oh, and I just got back home after my two weeks. Not nearly as exhausted and worn out as I was last year. Tomorrow I'll start the long, laborious process of getting my images uploaded.

I just wanted to say that it was awesome having T-Mobile while in Japan. They have an agreement with most countries and I was able to get free data for my trip.

Rydeen

In the airport terminal waiting for my flight to Japan! Three days in Nagoya, then twelve in Tokyo. If any Japan-GAF peeps are around then message me.

HKnightz

Personally what I do is exchange a bit of cash beforehand (like $100-200) just to make sure you can eat/get out of the airport/etc. But then just use an ATM at 7-11 for cash.

Oh, and I just got back home after my two weeks. Not nearly as exhausted and worn out as I was last year. Tomorrow I'll start the long, laborious process of getting my images uploaded.

Thanks for the advice! :)

KillGore

Question

- If our phones are connected to the mobile wi-fi, will google maps work? What I mean is, would it work as a GPS? Can I walk around and Google Maps tell me exactly where I'm located?

Since my phone won't work, GPS won't triangulate my phone, but maybe it will for the Wifi device?

Question

- If our phones are connected to the mobile wi-fi, will google maps work? What I mean is, would it work as a GPS? Can I walk around and Google Maps tell me exactly where I'm located?

Yes. If you're indoors or near lots of skyscrapers it might struggle a bit though.

Just had to vent a little, but in all my years of visiting I hadn't really had any issues at a restaurant till tonight. I guess because we're foreign tourist.

Went to a all you can eat yakiniku place in Shibuya and for whatever reason the manager had an issue with me and my fiance. He cut our time short and kept trying to push a higher end menu to us when we didn't want it. They gave all the other tables around us an actual ticket and time to go up and pay whenever they were ready, but he kept a sharp eye on our time and as soon as it was up, came up to us and asked us to leave and immediately pay at the register. I could barely finish up my last bite. I wanted to ask if he had a problem with us, but figure there was no point as he wouldn't understand me. Plus, I was pretty ticked and would've just thrown profanities at him.

Feels good to get that off my chest a bit.

KillGore

Just had to vent a little, but in all my years of visiting I hadn't really had any issues at a restaurant till tonight. I guess because we're foreign tourist.

Went to a all you can eat yakiniku place in Shibuya and for whatever reason the manager had an issue with me and my fiance. He cut our time short and kept trying to push a higher end menu to us when we didn't want it. They gave all the other tables around us an actual ticket and time to go up and pay whenever they were ready, but he kept a sharp eye on our time and as soon as it was up, came up to us and asked us to leave and immediately pay at the register. I could barely finish up my last bite. I wanted to ask if he had a problem with us, but figure there was no point as he wouldn't understand me. Plus, I was pretty ticked and would've just thrown profanities at him.

Feels good to get that off my chest a bit.

Do you know the name of the place? Just so I can stay clear of it

KillGore

So I tried booking with Tocoo but they have yet to answer me and it's been 3 business days so I think I'm going with JRP wi-fi service.

c9sDWUT.png

So if the address is

"PARK HOTEL TOKYO
Shiodome Media Tower 1-7-1 Higashi Shimbashi, Minato-ku 1057227 Tokyo"

How would I fill that up. I ask because Tokyo isn't technically the city, right? It's Minato-ku? I'm guessing the postcode is 1057227 and would I need to only fill Address 1? (with Shiodome Media Tower 1-7-1 Higashi Shimbashi)

This is the hotel website btw

http://en.parkhoteltokyo.com/

and this is where I want to rent it from

https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/services/pocket-wifi

Rydeen

Awesome, have fun! Nagoya is on my list of places to go :)

Got into Nagoya on Friday, and already in the last two and a half days I've really enjoyed it. It's a good primer city before taking on the madness that is Tokyo. Just kind of stumbled into Nagoya Castle park while trying to find Osu Kannon and had a good time. Not a city that could take up a week or two but spending three days is just about perfect.

hwalker84

When it comes to traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto (and back) on the Shinkansen, is this a legitimate offer? It seems too good to be true.

http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/VJOPENTK1/

They're a legit site. Operated by JTB. I used to work there. For visa restrictions, they're usually pretty upfront about anything that could cause you problems, so if there's nothing on the page I'd say you're OK. But you could try contacting customer service first to make sure.

They're a legit site. Operated by JTB. I used to work there. For visa restrictions, they're usually pretty upfront about anything that could cause you problems, so if there's nothing on the page I'd say you're OK. But you could try contacting customer service first to make sure.

There's this PDF:
http://www.japanican.com/~/media/en/misc/pdf/vjopen_conditions.pdf

This E-Voucher is available to be purchased by non-Japanese, non-residents of Japan, i.e., visitors from overseas, only.

Yeah, Japanican is legit from what I hear.

Yes it is. You're in Japan as a temporary visitor/tourist right? If you got any other kind of visa (student, working holiday etc.) it might not work.

Thanks, everyone!

Second question: how long do y'all recommend we stay in Kyoto? We can probably stay for at least a week before going back to Tokyo depending on the cost of lodging. We're thinking that getting a place in Kyoto might also provide a good home base to visit Osaka and some of the other surrounding areas.

Stalk

Just booked my first ever trip, going for a month next August (aware of weather issues). Flying across with Aeroflot which upon reading reviews makes me a little "errr" but most seem to actually be moaning about Moscow airport rather than the airliner. I think I'll just take out some insurance and maybe only take suicide clothing on the way out :p This thread has also been full of useful info so thanks guys.

Flying across with Aeroflot which upon reading reviews makes me a little "errr" but most seem to actually be moaning about Moscow airport rather than the airliner.

I've used Aeroflot for two of my trips and haven't had any issues with them :) Planes are as you'd expect, you get some reasonable in-flight movies and the food was pretty good, too. Moscow Airport itself seemed fine, just don't expect to have a giggle and a chat with the staff :) They take their jobs very seriously.

Stalk

I've used Aeroflot for two of my trips and haven't had any issues with them :) Planes are as you'd expect, you get some reasonable in-flight movies and the food was pretty good, too. Moscow Airport itself seemed fine, just don't expect to have a giggle and a chat with the staff :) They take their jobs very seriously.

Nice to hear a positive comment at least haha. I think a friend of mine used them too but hey. Only in Moscow for three hours anyway.

Nice to hear a positive comment at least haha. I think a friend of mine used them too but hey. Only in Moscow for three hours anyway.

Are you flying from the UK? Aeroflot tends to be the cheapest option for us, which is why we've used them twice. We're mixing it up for the trip in February and flying Turkish Airlines instead, which gives us a 3/4 hour stop in Istanbul.

We flew Finnair once as well, though only because we booked on short notice :) Don't remember too much about Helsinki besides seeing nothing but planes and snow outside, lol.

Stalk

Are you flying from the UK? Aeroflot tends to be the cheapest option for us, which is why we've used them twice. We're mixing it up for the trip in February and flying Turkish Airlines instead, which gives us a 3/4 hour stop in Istanbul.

We flew Finnair once as well, though only because we booked on short notice :) Don't remember too much about Helsinki besides seeing nothing but planes and snow outside, lol.

Aye, UK here. So pretty much that reason hah.

No way! I love that place used to go there all the time. Always used to get all you can eat and all you can drink. Too bad the manager was a jerk.

It was weird because one previous experience there was good, which is why we came back. We never saw or dealt with him the first time, though. Not sure why he had such an issue with us. I'm assuming he was the manager since he was wearing all black uniform compared to the other servers who were in white. We read the menu and it said 120 minute time limit to eat, but he made us leave after about 90 minutes. We still even had food on the table and on the grill. He also kind of threw the higher priced menu at us and when we told him we wanted the other one, he kept spouting about how it wasn't a good choice. I had to tell him multiple times before he finally agreed.

Either way, I'm glad there's tons of good yakiniku places around. Makes it easy to avoid this one in the future.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Unless Day 1 is not Halloween I would recommend going to the Shibuya scramble crossing because it's an absolutely insane experience. It's where the main Halloween parties are in Tokyo.

Day 1 in Tokyo is tomorrow night, we'll be arriving late so probably we'll go out on Friday though. I wonder if people dress up on the street, I brought a lab coat to pull an emergency shitty Rintaro Okabe costume if needed.

Eh, Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden wasn't that good IMO. Could just go to one of the other parks in Tokyo. Like Yoyogi Park next to the Meiji Shrine.

Depends on what you're there for. Oh, and don't get there too late. Stores starts closing at 8 or so.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm really looking forward to this weekend. :)

Stuart444

Speaking of airlines, I am curious if anyone here has flown from Amsterdam -> Japan via KLM? How was the plane? (Not too bothered about the UK -> Amsterdam part since it's a literal hour journey XD) And the in-flight entertainment/food?

Thanks, everyone!

Second question: how long do y'all recommend we stay in Kyoto? We can probably stay for at least a week before going back to Tokyo depending on the cost of lodging. We're thinking that getting a place in Kyoto might also provide a good home base to visit Osaka and some of the other surrounding areas.

I was in Kyoto for a week and still missed a bunch of places. Not the greatest for shopping, but so much culture (as the city survived WWII). Kinkakuji and Sanjuusangendo are musts. If I went again, I'd also go to the imperial palace and the old quarters across the river.

Osaka isn't that far either, good for a day trip if there's something you want to see. It was pretty dull though. I only went there because I didn't have plans for Tokyo.

pikablu

Anyone know an arcade with Kidō Senshi Gundam: Senjō no Kizuna? I went in winter 2011 and it was one of my favorite games. Unreal experience. A friend is going and Id like to tell him where he can find it.

Anyone know an arcade with Kidō Senshi Gundam: Senjō no Kizuna? I went in winter 2011 and it was one of my favorite games. Unreal experience. A friend is going and Id like to tell him where he can find it.

I wanna say I saw them in the BigBox arcade in Takadanobaba, but that was a year ago. You might have better luck in the other Japan thread asking folks that live there, in case any of them visit the arcades often :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=884540

KillGore

So what would you guys recommend I wear while visiting Japan on the first week of december? I'm from a tropical island so that's why I'm asking

Scarf? Winter coat? a jacket? winter cap? thermals? winter socks?

Long sleeve shirts and long pants are a must, right?

So what would you guys recommend I wear while visiting Japan on the first week of december? I'm from a tropical island so that's why I'm asking

Scarf? Winter coat? a jacket? winter cap? thermals? winter socks?

Long sleeve shirts and long pants are a must, right?

Which parts of Japan?

Top Bottom