• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Darksol

Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima

At least in Tokyo it says it can get as low as 4 degrees Celsius during that time?

Is 4 degrees Celsius really the end of the world? :p I'm Canadian so I rarely wear a coat unless it's freezing :p But if you're from a tropical island, well...pack appropriately! Better you pack warm clothes and not need them than not pack any and need them!

Does anybody know a place to get a duffle bag that is the exact carry on size or close? 22" x 14" x 9"

Try any luggage store -- they usually sell things that are specifically sized for air travel.

KillGore

Is 4 degrees Celsius really the end of the world? :p I'm Canadian so I rarely wear a coat unless it's freezing :p But if you're from a tropical island, well...pack appropriately! Better you pack warm clothes and not need them than not pack any and need them!

Hey hey! Dont judge me. The lowest temperature we get here is around 27 degrees celsius, and that probably happens once a year, at 3am, in the middle of a rainforest. You try to live here with an average temperature of 35 degrees Celsius year round (daytime) and then go to a place that drops to 4 degrees lol

Went to France a few weeks ago, temp was at 10 degrees or so. It was cold as hell.

BTW, one of my dreams is ti move to Canada. Am I fucked? Temperature will kill me?

Darksol

Hey hey! Dont judge me. The lowest temperature we get here is around 27 degrees celsius, and that probably happens once a year, at 3am, in the middle of a rainforest. You try to live here with an average temperature of 35 degrees Celsius year round (daytime) and then go to a place that drops to 4 degrees lol

Went to France a few weeks ago, temp was at 10 degrees or so. It was cold as hell.

BTW, one of my dreams is ti move to Canada. Am I fucked? Temperature will kill me?

Ah I see. That explains it :) Yes, it would be a major adjustment if you moved to Canada. We get 30-35 Celsius maybe a week or two tops. Plenty of years we never hit that. Expect many months of under 20 Celsius, a couple months of well under 0 Celsius and a few months of 10-20 Celsius :p

We're colder than France, so keep that in mind. It's 7 degrees Celsius in Montreal today.

It depends where you live. If you live in the lower mainland near Vancouver it never gets colder than negative 2 or 3 and is a much more temperate. Any other place in Canada will get stinking hot during the summer and freezing cold in the winter.

As for your question, I was in Japan last year in the same places as you and I still had a big jacket on just to make sure (I'm from Vancouver) but it got warm at times. I wore jeans the whole time which is standard for Canadiens. The good thing is there are lots of stores and cafes everywhere so it's easy to warm up

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member

Any other place other than Vancouver you'll probably freeze your ass off (for your standards).

Today is raining in Tokyo and pretty much all the museums I wanted to check out are closed. 😐 Any suggestions on how to spend the day?

ccbfan

I'm heading to Japan this saturday and I'm planning on this route. Got some question hopefully you guys can answer.

Arrive in Tokyo on Sunday

Plan to stay in Tokyo until Wednesday. We plan to spend a day in 3 different district, Shinkuku, Shibuya, and Ginza. Anything else you guys can recommend?

On Wednesday we plan to take a bullet train to Kobe and then Kobe to Arima and spend a night at a hot spring Ryoken. For the bullet train do we need to buy the ticket in advance or are they easily accessible?

On Thursday we plan to head to Osaka for a day (Any recommendations?)

Also how expensive are Taxis in Japan. For certain legs of our trip is it easier to get a taxi?

Nola

What is the deal w the Robot Restaurant? Is it really as awesome as the brief videos online look? (And worth the rather high ticket price?) I'm going to Japan next year and am looking for a few things to do in Tokyo. I'm half-Japanese and spend my vacations there with my family and close friends, all of whom are pretty traditional. Will they think it's weird if I tell them I want to go to the Robot Restaurant? It'll be my husband's first visit to Japan, so I'm thinking we'll probably get a hotel for a couple of nights in Tokyo and include that as part of our "alone time" on the trip. The rest of the time we'll be with my family visiting temples, etc and stuffing our faces with delicious Japanese food.

For the bullet train do we need to buy the ticket in advance or are they easily accessible?

Also how expensive are Taxis in Japan. For certain legs of our trip is it easier to get a taxi?

You got a JR Pass? Shinkansen tickets should be easy enough to get most of the time.

Nah. Taxis are really expensive. Don't take one unless you're forced to.

Jintor

just booked a hostel in hiroshima for the long weekend... but i'm not 100% certain it actually exists, since I can't find the entrance on googlemaps streetview. Oh well.

that'll teach me to procrastinate booking hostels for... well, anything

SKINNER!

Banned
Speaking of airlines, I am curious if anyone here has flown from Amsterdam -> Japan via KLM? How was the plane? (Not too bothered about the UK -> Amsterdam part since it's a literal hour journey XD) And the in-flight entertainment/food?

KLM is a decent airline and if it's anything like Paris > Japan (which is how I flew from UK) then it should be very pleasant. Feels like one long trip. I find the layovers at cities halfway between UK and Japan (Istanbul or Qatar) to be quite tiring :( 2 long-haul flights back to back is quite tiring after all.

Plan to stay in Tokyo until Wednesday. We plan to spend a day in 3 different district, Shinkuku, Shibuya, and Ginza. Anything else you guys can recommend?
Akihabara if you're into gaming stuff. Asakusa is a great place to explore. Harajuku is wedged in between Shinjuku and Shibuya; go visit takeshita street and Meiji Shrine.
ccbfan said:
On Wednesday we plan to take a bullet train to Kobe and then Kobe to Arima and spend a night at a hot spring Ryoken. For the bullet train do we need to buy the ticket in advance or are they easily accessible?
Make sure you go to Shinagawa or Tokyo station, those are where the shinkansens run. You could buy tickets directly from the station, you can usually see a giant "SHINKANSEN" word above the ticket booths.
ccbfan said:
On Thursday we plan to head to Osaka for a day (Any recommendations?)
Eat eat eat. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2157.html If you have time, I would suggest visiting Kyoto, too.
ccbfan said:
Pretty expensive. I was late to an appointment and the next bus wouldn't arrive for another 30 minutes so I tried asking some taxis for the cost of driving me about 12 - 15 mins to my destination. I was getting quotes at about ¥5,000 - ¥6,000. I decided to be late and just said I got lost.

So I'm sure this has been asked a million times but it seems different based on needs and scenarios.

Heading to Japan in the first two weeks of April and we plan to spend the first handful of days in Tokyo, a handful of days in Osaka (we will take day trips from here), and the remainder in Tokyo.

If we get a JR Pass, we can activate it whenever we want during the trip correct? If so we'd like to get 7 day passes and activate it before the Osaka leg to make the trip and day trips and back to Tokyo.

That checks out right?

If we get a JR Pass, we can activate it whenever we want during the trip correct? If so we'd like to get 7 day passes and activate it before the Osaka leg to make the trip and day trips and back to Tokyo.

That checks out right?

Yep. You can even go exchange it the first day you're there and tell them what day you want the 7 days to begin.

Stuart444

KLM is a decent airline and if it's anything like Paris > Japan (which is how I flew from UK) then it should be very pleasant. Feels like one long trip. I find the layovers at cities halfway between UK and Japan (Istanbul or Qatar) to be quite tiring :( 2 long-haul flights back to back is quite tiring after all.

I just hope everything goes smoothly. I'm not the most confident of people so arguing with staff if something goes wrong would not be easy for me. (and my partner is even less confident than me when it comes to arguing with strangers)

I'm glad the layover city is one hour away from Glasgow. It's a shorter ride than it is from my local bus stop to Glasgow city center. (an hour and a half). 12 hours on a plane though... that will be a first. The only time I've been on a plane was 10 years ago in a group thing when we went to Lourdes in France so that wouldn't have been a long trip.

Still feels like so long until the end of March but once the new year comes and I finish ordering stuff I need (JRPass, Studio Ghibli tickets, etc), then March will come quickly enough :)

So I'm sure this has been asked a million times but it seems different based on needs and scenarios.

Heading to Japan in the first two weeks of April and we plan to spend the first handful of days in Tokyo, a handful of days in Osaka (we will take day trips from here), and the remainder in Tokyo.

That checks out right?

Doing it similar to what we're doing (Tokyo for the first 6 days, then Osaka, then back to Tokyo for the last 2 days). You should be able to turn in the JRP at the airport and ask them to activate it the day of your trip to Osaka (I believe the JRP activates at 12:01am so don't activate it earlier than the day you're planning to use the Shinkansen) and it should work out :)

Zatoth

Need some recommendations for day trips from Tokyo in December. I'll probably have a JR pass. So using the pass to make the trip is a big plus. Onsens are always welcome.

Have been to Hakone and Nikko. Unless there is something special during winter to experience there I don't plan to go there again.

One plan is to go to Kamakura. Is Kamakura + Enoshima Spa doable on one day?

Gritesh

Our trip is getting closer and closer we are getting pretty excited.

I think the only thing we have left to do is buy the JR passes everything else is booked and confirmed.

Hoping to have a really good time.

Going March 16-31

Hi all,

My wife and I will be in Japan the end of November, we'll most likely just be staying in Tokyo during our stay. Everyone here talks about JR pass for travelling all over Japan but since we'll just be in Tokyo what should we be getting for an all-access local train/bus pass?

Is this what we should be getting...?

Tokyo Metro - For Customers Traveling Between the Airport and Downtown Tokyo - WELCOME! Tokyo Subway Ticket
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/airport_bus/index.html

We'll be arriving from the Philippines to Haneda Airport (and yes I know about the 'bullet scam' craziness going on at Manila airport right now...SMH).

Thanks!

Stuart444

Hi all,

My wife and I will be in Japan the end of November, we'll most likely just be staying in Tokyo during our stay. Everyone here talks about JR pass for travelling all over Japan but since we'll just be in Tokyo what should we be getting for an all-access local train/bus pass?

Tokyo Metro - For Customers Traveling Between the Airport and Downtown Tokyo - WELCOME! Tokyo Subway Ticket

We'll be arriving from the Philippines to Haneda Airport (and yes I know about the 'bullet scam' craziness going on at Manila airport right now...SMH).

Thanks!

I don't hear many people talk about bus travel much in Tokyo.

But for travel in Tokyo via train, the Suica card is usually what's brought up.

Hi all,

Thanks!

JR pass isn't worth it if you're just going to stay in Tokyo. It's more helpful when traveling between cities because of the ticket costs. I mainly take the JR lines in Tokyo, but I do take the subway line to Asakusa and sometimes Ginza. The only time I've ever taken the bus was to go from Mt. Fuji to Shinjuku.

Suica card isn't really required either, it's more just for convenience. You won't have to look at the map, determine the price and (maybe) wait in line to purchase a ticket or have to do any fare adjuments if you decide to change your destination halfway through your trip. It's also useful to purchase drinks and buy things from corner stores.

Where's the cheapest place to buy luggage in Tokyo? I'm not looking for anything particularly cool looking/high quality--I just need something functional.

Guyss, question!!!

I´m travelling with 2 more friends on january 30 and we will be arriving 1 of february. We plan to visit tokyo for some daysand then travel to Kyoto and other places. (We still haven´t decided what other places yet)

What hostels or cheap alternatives do you recommend. Our time is running out and we don´t know nothing.

Thanks in advance!

Alright, so I'm getting closer to my trip in January, and I've started to really plan somethings out.

This popped up in another thread, but I wanted to ask here.

So then, purchasing more expensive items, and using credit cards vs cash. I imagined that I would be able to use my CC for a lot of my purchases, but it looks like I might have to walk around with more cash then I'd like?

So what is it? Cash or CC?

Stuart444

Alright, so I'm getting closer to my trip in January, and I've started to really plan somethings out.

So then, purchasing more expensive items, and using credit cards vs cash. I imagined that I would be able to use my CC for a lot of my purchases, but it looks like I might have to walk around with more cash then I'd like?

Pretty much cash mostly. Japan is a largely cash based society. Not sure how many places do CC. That said, you can always get money out from machines (I think 7/11 is popular for foreigners to get cash out?)

To add on to Stuart and Mike, you should also call your CC company to see what their exchange rate is. Usually it'll be worse than if you had just brought cash and converted it in the airport, but this will vary from card companies.

Rydeen

Alright, waiting in Narita Airport to head back to North America. I had an amazing time, got some retro game steals, but most of all, I met some incredibly warm, loving people and friendships that will last a lifetime. I'm already making plans to come back next year sometime and maxing out my visitor's Visa on the next one. Definitely going to spend some time in Kyoto next time, but mostly its going to be spending time with new friends in Tokyo.

img_20151103_004049n3pia.jpg

Jake.

i generally use cash if the item is under 40,000ish yen and CC if it's above.

Darksol

Alright, waiting in Narita Airport to head back to North America. I had an amazing time, got some retro game steals, but most of all, I met some incredibly warm, loving people and friendships that will last a lifetime. I'm already making plans to come back next year sometime and maxing out my visitor's Visa on the next one. Definitely going to spend some time in Kyoto next time, but mostly its going to be spending time with new friends in Tokyo.

Nobody ever goes to Japan only once. :D

KillGore

Other than the airport and getting my JR Pass, is there any other scenario where I would need to have my passport with me? For example, boarding a shinkansen? Thinking about leaving it in the luggage throughout the whole trip.

Stuart444

Other than the airport and getting my JR Pass, is there any other scenario where I would need to have my passport with me? For example, boarding a shinkansen? Thinking about leaving it in the luggage throughout the whole trip.

You are required to have it on you for the whole trip.

daegan

I know hotels are required to photocopy it, and IIRC you can be asked for it by police at any time so you need to keep it on your person.

Darksol

As a foreigner? For everything. You must have it on you at all times. It's the law.

If you don't have your passport on you and you're stopped by the cops, you could very likely end up having an unpleasant day.

I got asked to show my passport when using my Visa card to pay for something on this trip to prove that it wasn't stolen, so yeah. Need to have it with you at all times.

KillGore

You are required to have it on you for the whole trip.

I know hotels are required to photocopy it, and IIRC you can be asked for it by police at any time so you need to keep it on your person.

As a foreigner? For everything. You must have it on you at all times. It's the law.

If you don't have your passport on you and you're stopped by the cops, you could very likely end up having an unpleasant day.

K, thanks guys.

Only country i have visited outside my own was France and they never asked for my passport.

Well, I'm now home again after 6 weeks in Japan. Now to sort through the 25000 pictures I took :p
I still gotta sort through the ones I took while over there, soo many photos ._.

I did not know this at all, a fair few days I went without my passport, it was only once I started using my rail pass that I started taking it everywhere with me.

Darksol

I did not know this at all, a fair few days I went without my passport, it was only once I started using my rail pass that I started taking it everywhere with me.

I could be mistaken, but yeah, I'm reasonable sure.

I'm not sure if you still have to if you're a temporary resident (student, working holiday visa, etc.) as they give you a specific piece of ID for that, but if you're just there on a holiday, I'm like 95% sure you must keep your passport on you at all times.

Granted, I've never been asked to show mine outside of a hotel or airport -- but it happens :p

I'm not sure if you still have to if you're a temporary resident (student, working holiday visa, etc.) as they give you a specific piece of ID for that, but if you're just there on a holiday, I'm like 95% sure you must keep your passport on you at all times.

Granted, I've never been asked to show mine outside of a hotel or airport -- but it happens :p
I do wish I had of had it with me more for getting stuff Tax Free, only a few times I needed it for that but would have been helpful.

Did use it every time I showed the railpass though. I was worried about just taking it with me incase I lost it.

Yup. Here's the info about the passport carry rules:
www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/zairyuu/ryoken.html

Foreign residents in Japan must carry their passport or permit with them. They must present it when an authorized officer requests them to do so.

With some exceptions, a foreign resident's passport usually describes limitations on the passport holder's activities in Japan. This is because foreign residents may not land or stay in Japan without a certain permission as specified in Immigration Control Act. They are also subject to some limitations on their activities in Japan in accordance with their status of residence.

For this reason, the immigration control authority needs to quickly check out if a foreign resident has a valid status of residence, if he/she may engage in certain unauthorized activities, or if he/she complies with the requirements for his/her landing/staying permission. To this end, foreign residents must carry their passport or certificate with them and present it if a competent officer requests them to do so.

However, a mid- to long term resident is obliged to receive and carry a residence card with him/her. If a mid- to long term resident carries a residence card, he/she is not obliged to carry a passport.

Any person who has violated this provision shall be subject to criminal penalties (Articles 75-2, 75-3, and 76 of the Immigration Control Act).

Gacha-pin

Is monjayaki worth trying? It looks kinda disgusting, yet intriguing...

If you like okonomiyaki / yakisoba, you will enjoy vomit BBQ as well :p They are the same kind of stuff. It's not pricy, arond 500 to 800yen at most places. Why don't you try it for fun.

sfedai0

Banned
Im debating whether to go to Skytree or go somewhere else so I can get both the Skytree and Tokyo tower in a pic. Anyone think Skytree is worth it? Ive been to the Tokyo Govt. building as well as Sunshine. I was thinking of going to the Mori tower instead.....

KillGore

Any english website I can check the typhoon coverage? I know November is low season but I read typhoon season is year round? Went to NHC.NOAA but they only have east pacific, that I know of.

When I go back there will be a few Transformers Masterpieces I want to get (Shockwave and Ratchet, and maybe a couple more). Is there a definitive toy collector place I should check out, or are those everywhere?

Top Bottom