• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

I'm going to spend my 35th birthday in Japan. September 2017 I'm going back.

Woo

When I go back there will be a few Transformers Masterpieces I want to get (Shockwave and Ratchet, and maybe a couple more). Is there a definitive toy collector place I should check out, or are those everywhere?

You should check out Mandarake at least. There's one in Akihabara and one in Nakano that got some Transformers.

Im debating whether to go to Skytree or go somewhere else so I can get both the Skytree and Tokyo tower in a pic. Anyone think Skytree is worth it? Ive been to the Tokyo Govt. building as well as Sunshine. I was thinking of going to the Mori tower instead.....
I can vouch for Roppongi Hills, its not the tallest building in Japan, but its open top and just something about standing up there with no windows is just magical looking down on everything.

Look at that happy face enjoying the awesome view behind him, look at it ^_^

Also to everyone who wants to go to Japan, Owl Cafe's are the shit

Best day ^_^

Total Holiday Loot btw

2 bad things though, got the Virtual Boy home and one of the lenses is busted >.< and the Japanese New 3DS doesn't work with any MicroSD cards, no idea how to fix may need to ask someone in Japan if I can send it to them to forward to Nintendo Japan to fix.

Also Japanese Kit Kats was mission sucessful

I need to go back ._.

Does anyone have any recommendations for walking routes to take through Tokyo? My girlfriend and I have another month left here, and we've seen nearly every major neighborhood. Now, for our last month, we want to see as much as we can that most would consider "off the beaten path."

2 bad things though, got the Virtual Boy home and one of the lenses is busted >.< and the Japanese New 3DS doesn't work with any MicroSD cards, no idea how to fix may need to ask someone in Japan if I can send it to them to forward to Nintendo Japan to fix.

I need to go back ._.

That sucks about the lens. Look at all those Kitkats, I spent all my remaining money on (mostly) Kitkats just before I left but damn, it wasn't nearly as impressive as that :p

Speaking of owl cafes. Is there more than one? Are they difficult to get into? Reservation? Which is the best one?
I think there is more than one, but not sure. The one I went to I think I was lucky to get in, rocked up on the day and reserved a spot for 3 hours later. They only let a few people in at a time so you have to book. I believe you can do it all online through their site.
Heres the TripAdvisor page for it
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attra...rou-Chiyoda_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

Nice! Where did you pick up most of the kitkats?
Some store in Akihabara, was like the ground floor of this really tall building full of various toy and hobby stores. Not sure what its called but it was close to the train station.

I think so, it was close to where I met you on my second day.

Yeah, there's a gift shop where they sell all kinds of candy, sweets and even wine on the first floor of that building.

Edit:
Looks like the JR Kanto Area Pass is getting phased out for the more expensive JR Tokyo Wide Pass next month:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/tokyowidepass/index.html

1700 JPY more expensive for adults, but you get access to the Rinkai Line to Odaiba and you can go to Yuzawa as well.

hwalker84

I need to go back ._.

More variety than my haul

WP_20150413_00_20_28_Pro.jpg

Both of ya'll are missing out on the cheesecake Kit Kat where you bake it in the oven. I wish I had taken a picture of it. I also picked up a citrus flavored one, too.

KillGore

Just 5 more days until I leave to Japan. 24 hour trip overall.

Getting kind of nervous here, especially since we won't be taking a tour and we will be on our own (4 people), with no knowledge of Japanese language. Please tell me we will be fine. Please? lol

Edit: I mean we already made our own schedule. Have JR Pass. Booked our hotels and got one of those wi-fi devices. It shouldn't be that difficult, right?

hwalker84

Just 5 more days until I leave to Japan. 24 hour trip overall.

Getting kind of nervous here, especially since we won't be taking a tour and we will be on our own (4 people), with no knowledge of Japanese language. Please tell me we will be fine. Please? lol

Edit: I mean we already made our own schedule. Have JR Pass. Booked our hotels and got one of those wi-fi devices. It shouldn't be that difficult, right?

Everything will be alright.

I recommend one of these as a travel necessity http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009USAJCC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Stuart444

Everything will be alright.

I recommend one of these as a travel necessity http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009USAJCC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I've been looking for a battery charger that works better than the one I bought a few years ago. It ALWAYS disconnects if I try to put it in my pocket (the USB wire slightly moves and it stops working until I fix it). Does this one have any similar problems?

I found it on the Amazon UK store so if not, I may just get it.

Stuart444

Hm.... Isn't it the same as this one?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D5T3QK4/

It looks the same but different model number/ASIN (which is how I searched for the other one)

Ah well, at least I now have something to look at since I really needed to look for something like this since like I said, my current external charger is crap. (without a table where it can be flat and not move at all >.> it was only useful on the train/in a hotel when I used it)

KillGore

Is Himeji castle worth a detour? Reading the info makes it seem like something amazing that has to be visited but I would need to make a detour for it. I don't mind, as long as its worth it. I just don't know what else we can do in Himeji other than that.

hwalker84

Is Himeji castle worth a detour? Reading the info makes it seem like something amazing that has to be visited but I would need to make a detour for it. I don't mind, as long as its worth it. I just don't know what else we can do in Himeji other than that.

Might as well. I really liked it. Visited twice. Once while they were undergoing their 5 year renovation so I saw an area they only open (from my understanding) and the reopened castle.

JEKKI

still thinking of going in January with my mom, which means I'll hafta do all this touristy stuff >_<

that said, Itsukushima Shrine in Miyajima / Hiroshima, good to go in January?

any awesome food in the area too? lol

Himeji Castle is a "real" castle, unlike Osaka and Hiroshima Castles which were both destroyed and rebuilt as museums within the last century. So in that case it might be worth a stop. Its also a lot bigger than the other two. I wish I blocked out time to see it myself.

Stuart444

Yay :D I'll take a look through them.

edit: I love the night time pics in cities. Everything always looks so bright and nice.

Where did you see the Sea lion (?) show/get pics of the Penguins?

edit 2: Just finished, nice pictures. :D

KillGore

So what's that site you guys use for the train system? Not google maps.

Also, a bit late I suppose but, how do I say "Do you speak english?" I know eigo is english but that's pretty much it lol.

27 hours left!

kuYuri

Hoping to be back in this thread next year! I'm trying to save up for a trip for around September-October 2016. Hoping to spend at least two weeks. I figure saving around $5000~ will be enough just in case.

Any advice on a specific period or month to purchase round trip tickets online?

Stuart444

Why not google maps? Worked usually fine for me.

I mainly used google maps and/or Hyperdia.

Hyperdia is the one I plan on sticking with, seems easier to figure things out than google maps for trains. Maps however will be useful for walking and stuff.

Helped me out in Birmingham at least. Got off the train and used it to find a McDonalds lol. (took me a bit to figure out the exit of the station though even with Maps lol >.> I couldn't figure out which way I was facing when looking at the google maps app lol)

KillGore

Sorry for the double post guys but I was wondering. When should I exchange my money? When I'm in Japan? If so, are they opened 24 hours? Excuse my ignorance since I've never seen one up close but is it a machine that exchanges the money or a person? Also, is the exchange cash to cash or can I use an atm and they give me yen? Or I can do either?

KillGore

At the airport you can exchange your money. Don't think that they are open 24h though.

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_11.html

I always take ~30k cash in Yen with me. To have something on me. But you can just use an ATM at the airport.

ATMs @ Narita

Keep in mind that there were/are problems with Mastercard and Maestro.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2208.html

Sorry to bother you but are there similar sites for Haneda? Thanks for all your help

Also, I read it's better to exchange it within Japan, rather than in the US?

Sorry to bother you but are there similar sites for Haneda? Thanks for all your help

Also, I read it's better to exchange it within Japan, rather than in the US?

It's infinitely better to do it in Japan. You'll get ripped off on conversation rates here. You can try checking with your bank to see what they give you to compare.

You can check here for the current rates at Narita > http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/

Stuart444

It's infinitely better to do it in Japan. You'll get ripped off on conversation rates here. You can try checking with your bank to see what they give you to compare.

You can check here for the current rates at Narita > http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/

Just to check but Buy = exchanging money to Yen and Sell is Yen -> my local currency right?

Also what's TTS/TTB? I know what it stands for (since it says on the page) but what is it? >.>

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hi, my friends and I are looking to visit Japan for a week in september 2016. Any advice for booking things this far in advance?

Top Bottom