• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Green plays Dark Souls II - The real Black Dragon starts here

Jintor

Oh, Jeff - don't forget the autohidemousecursor app. DS II keeps showing the damn cursor during menus and stuff and it's really irritating

Well, I think I kinda/sorta had a grip on chat by the last chunk of streams? You guys can tell me if that perception is wrong. I definitely relied on it too much early on, especially because I wasn't realizing at the time that I would eventually upload them to YouTube--where me looking off in the chat window half the time is pretty butt-tastic.

Also, I realized that I would do things or go places just to try to please chat, only to find out that the other half of chat thought I was a moron for taking the advice, or worse, to discover that I was being trolled. So, by the last third or so of the streams, I just had much more of a "fuggit I'm gonna go where I want" attitude--though of course I always peeked at chat especially when I was really stuck.

I haven't read one thing about DS 2, PC or console. So I'm going in blind. Still, it goes without saying that this will be a pro speed run, so plan on taking copious notes if you want to improve your own game.

See you tomorrow!

Glad to see you're going in blind, don't let chat distract you from going where you want to go and doing what you want to do.

A tip for you, don't look over in chat unless you're at a bonfire, either from dying or whatever else. Then when you go out in the world you stay focused on playing the game. You had like 5 "died because reading chat"-deaths the last stream. ;)

so1337

A tip for you, don't look over in chat unless you're at a bonfire, either from dying or whatever else. Then when you go out in the world you stay focused on playing the game. You had like 5 "died because reading chat"-deaths the last stream. ;)
This seems like good advice. Or better yet, fuck chat. The times that chat needlessly distracted Jeff far outweighed the times that they actually helped.

This is excellent news! I'm disappointed that the Green man that's gaming isn't going to Giantbomb, but this helps alleviate that pain.

Sober

Kay is back!

GL to the Black Dragon. I saw someone beat the game with pyro only yesterday in one session. I'm sure we're in for pro play that exposes that other amateur.
Goddamn twice the good news in here. I'm still not caught up with her in Dark Souls 1, still in Lost Izalith. Oh well!

JustinBB7

I haven't read one thing about DS 2, PC or console. So I'm going in blind. Still, it goes without saying that this will be a pro speed run, so plan on taking copious notes if you want to improve your own game.

See you tomorrow!

I can use this advise for this boss that is whooping me! I will take notes.

Diggler

I'm sure others will disagree, but Jeff I would say that DS2 is alot more centered around summoning this time around. There are sooo many bosses, and while some are very easy and meant for 1on1 fights, others are insane and clearly designed for co-opping. Just putting this out there.

Muskweeto

Really excited for this. It was fun to see Jeff go from what he thought would be a one-off stream of Dark Souls to actually beating it.

I'm sure others will disagree, but Jeff I would say that DS2 is alot more centered around summoning this time around. There are sooo many bosses, and while some are very easy and meant for 1on1 fights, others are insane and clearly designed for co-opping. Just putting this out there.

I would also advise Jeff to summon if it clearly looks like the fight was meant for multiple people.

I would also advise Jeff to summon if it clearly looks like the fight was meant for multiple people.

You're joking? None of the bosses require you to summon. That's just cheating. By summoning you'll be making the game easy. NG+ is different, but, NG in no way will you need to summon. Specially since he's beaten Dark Souls.

NIN90

You're joking? None of the bosses require you to summon. That's just cheating. By summoning you'll be making the game easy. NG+ is different, but, NG in no way will you need to summon. Specially since he's beaten Dark Souls.

That's hilarious since I specifically remember you pretty much liveblogging your eternal struggle with the game in the console OT.

That's hilarious since I remember you pretty much liveblogging your eternal struggle with the game in the console OT.

I struggled and enjoyed it all the more. I'm breezing through the first one now, and the second isn't difficult anymore. My point is summoning ruins the fun, it ruined it for me. i felt cheated, like I was a failure. Now all I rage for is invasions and the broken ass hex mage heavy armor wearing assholes who 1 shot me.

Haunted

Well, I think I kinda/sorta had a grip on chat by the last chunk of streams? You guys can tell me if that perception is wrong. I definitely relied on it too much early on, especially because I wasn't realizing at the time that I would eventually upload them to YouTube--where me looking off in the chat window half the time is pretty butt-tastic.

Also, I realized that I would do things or go places just to try to please chat, only to find out that the other half of chat thought I was a moron for taking the advice, or worse, to discover that I was being trolled. So, by the last third or so of the streams, I just had much more of a "fuggit I'm gonna go where I want" attitude--though of course I always peeked at chat especially when I was really stuck.

See you tomorrow!
Team #fuckchat

You need the chat to 1) see if the stream is up and 2) if you're really, utterly, completely stuck - and even then, you could just as easily look up the necessary info elsewhere.

Otherwise, it's more of a hindrance and takes away from the entertainment factor, imo. We want to see Black Dragon play Dark Souls, not Black Dragon squinting at chat. :D If you really do want to keep up some interaction with chat, one way to do it is involve them in some of the decisions you don't really care about yoursel (i.e. kill Solaire or leave him alive
you monster
) etc.

I can think of at least one boss fight that was clearly designed for several players. Of course it's not required, but summoning for that fight is obviously in line with what the designers intended (whether you care for that or not is up to you).

I don't like summoning players (but I do like summoning AI). I made an exception for Ornstein and Lummox in DS because it's clearly a fight designed for several players, and have done the same with a certain boss fight in DS2.

Jintor

I just had to summon against a single large boss. I am ashamed. (though I didn't feel that bad because I was doing piss-all damage against him and he could one-shot me)

How did he get it to say THANKS OBAMA

DSfix enables texture replacers

92-1-1348431955.png

92-1-1348447102.png

NIN90

I don't like summoning players (but I do like summoning AI). I made an exception for Ornstein and Lummox in DS because it's clearly a fight designed for several players, and have done the same with a certain boss fight in DS2.

Ruin Sentinels? They easy solo once you figure them out.

Maybe it's because I started with a Deprived, but gotdayum this game start out hard!

With Soul memory, I don't think Jeff needs to worry too much about summoning someone to beat the game for him. If he is still worried about that, how about only summoning Tiny Soap Stones? Those cute little ones that only have summon partners show up for a few minutes? I suppose that's why they're there, right? To get just a tiny bit of temporary help.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
I loved Kay's DS streams (I only watched while she was behind where I was) and fully think she deserves her own thread too. However, I can't watch the DS2 ones now cuz spoilers. :(

DS2 settings tweaked and ready to go! IF there is a time change for me, it might be a little earlier. Like 5 PM Pacific instead of 6. But I'll update here and on Twitter beforehand.

One bummer: Don't seem to have the digital extras from my pre-order. Goddang it Namco-Bandai-- get your shit together! I have it listed in the DLC window in Steam, so it's acknowledged that I bought it.....but it's not in the actual game folder. Grrrrr.

eot

Banned
I had them and then the game took them away again (there was literally a popup saying I didn't have the 'DLC' anymore) so maybe they're bugged. Supposedly you can get them just by adding a text file with the appropriate name (the content of it doesn't matter), but it's not stuff that makes a difference anyway.

edit: oh I guess you didn't mean the ingame items. nvm then.

Minamu

I loved Kay's DS streams (I only watched while she was behind where I was) and fully think she deserves her own thread too. However, I can't watch the DS2 ones now cuz spoilers. :(

DS2 settings tweaked and ready to go! IF there is a time change for me, it might be a little earlier. Like 5 PM Pacific instead of 6. But I'll update here and on Twitter beforehand.

One bummer: Don't seem to have the digital extras from my pre-order. Goddang it Namco-Bandai-- get your shit together! I have it listed in the DLC window in Steam, so it's acknowledged that I bought it.....but it's not in the actual game folder. Grrrrr.
I assume this would mean around 1-2am GMT+1 time? :) Fairly euro friendly, but I won't be home then (it is Saturday after all). As for the pre-order dlc, if you're talking about the bonus weapons, you'll get them in the game later on anyway (3/4-gameish) and they'd almost be a cheat early on I believe. Go in blank like you wanted to :)

Kay is back!

GL to the Black Dragon. I saw someone beat the game with pyro only yesterday in one session. I'm sure we're in for pro play that exposes that other amateur.
First time I hear of her, I love how she doesn't kill the hollows at the beginning of DaS1, saying something along the lines of "it's a zombie like me" and then tries to use the gift ring (which, supposedly, regenerates HP) to cure one of them she has mistakenly hit :D

I've only recently found out about the Black Dragon's stream too and I love the old DS videos. I was planning on following this new playthrough live but 2 in the morning is not really a good time for a EuroGAFfer such as myself.. You should move to the East Coast Jeff :p

styl3s

It's there to get help when you need it.

It's not really cheating.

nbthedude

You probably do have the extras in game but really they are no big deal. The digital extras are in game items you can find in the game anyway. You just start with them instead of earning them, you know like a weaksauce non-pro player. :)

Also, I put in my vote for #TeamFuckChat.

tookhster

I respectfully disagree. I beat DS2 on PS3 solo and it felt great. Part of the reason why I love Jeff's streams is that he always tried to solo bosses, and he didn't feel satisfied after summoning against the Gargoyles (he brought it up during a later episode). That feeling you get when beating a boss that killed you multiple times alone is an awesome feeling, and it's something that the devs of DS2 have been talking about since the game was announced.

In comparison, I love Kay's streams as well, but was disappointed when she (from the episodes I've seen) summoned before she even tried a boss out by herself. I know that there is no "right" way to play Dark Souls, but I'd personally much rather prefer that Jeff tackles DS2 the same way he did with DS1. The payoff is worth it.

Mindlog

lmfao
This stream is so great already. My first notebook is full.
Playoffs, grilled leftovers, stream on tablet.... and work on phones :( Still fun!

Top Bottom