• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Green plays Dark Souls II - The real Black Dragon starts here

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm kinda amazed that I can get this much entertainment out of watching someone play a game.. Jeff is the perfect storm of Twitch.

eot

Banned
Ok so you can either
use the pharros to open it or press a on the wall directly?

How it's worked in my experience is:
The pharros ones only open if you trigger the mechanism even if you know where they are, regular illusory walls only activate with the interact key (so it's like playing wolfenstein 3D or something)

Minamu

How it's worked in my experience is:
The pharros ones only open if you trigger the mechanism even if you know where they are, regular illusory walls only activate with the interact key (so it's like playing wolfenstein 3D or something)
Pharros stones don't necessarily open doors either, they have other effects and purposes as well.

fatty

Having not even finished the first Demons Souls I've stayed away from these Black Dragon threads (that and I'm not big into watching streaming unless it is SC2). So what has Jeff been up to after leaving Pop Cap? Has he been doing any podcasts lately?

Jeff, finding secret doors in Dark Souls II is different.

Spoilered in case you want to figure it out on your own.

Instead of hitting walls, you press the "use" key, A. There's no prompt, you just have to hit A. It's like finding secret doors in Doom.

Bedlam

Just watched the first episode and I love how Jeff noticed some of the major criticisms people had and still have with the game within minutes (walking animation feels off, voice-overs rather weak compared to the previous Souls games and the art style is rather generic-fantasy-ish now).

The man knows his shit.

That mace is wrecking everything.
And it can continue to for pretty much the entirety of the game.

It's too bad really that From included this overpowered pre-order crap in the game. Jeff should just drop everything that isn't the normal starting equipment.

@Jeff: you can light torches at bonfires (press Y to switch the "sit at bonfire" text to "light torch") and other open light sources. There's a torch near the very first bonfire in Things Betwixt. One torch will last for 5 minutes and every torch you pick up will increase your torch time by another 5 minutes. You don't really have to light the torches that are scattered throughtout the levels but it sure makes them look much better.

edit: I was a strict opponent to the respec functionality being included in DS2 and I still think it's a kind of lame and takes away from the game's replayability but seeing Jeffs character, I'm now glad there's the ability for him to respec. *crosses fingers we won't have to look at that flimsy, green-haired abomination for very long* :p

I don't think you can respec your face. Dipshit is cursed/blessed to forever keep his neon Moe cut.
Oh well then, at least he fits the new art style. ;)

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
edit: I was a strict opponent to the respec functionality being included in DS2 and I still think it's a kind of lame and takes away from the game's replayability but seeing Jeffs character, I'm now glad there's the ability for him to respec. *crosses fingers we won't have to look at that flimsy, green-haired abomination for very long* :p

How dare you vex Dipshit, the True Embodiment of the Green.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think you can respec your face. Dipshit is cursed/blessed to forever keep his neon Moe cut.

Watched the stream this afternoon, fantastic but omg at the black smith part bwhahhahaahah soooo infuriating bwhahahah :D

Still fantastic though I really hope that the stream time can keep to at least once hopefully more a week.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Amazing, I enjoyed him playing DaS1. Its not often you get someone these days who truly knows nothing about the game their playing. Some people might get frustrated though, but I find it entertaining.

iuuk

Amazing, I enjoyed him playing DaS1. Its not often you get someone these days who truly knows nothing about the game their playing. Some people might get frustrated though, but I find it entertaining.
Frustration is part of the enjoyment. I'm usually not a fan of let's plays, which is why Jeff's let's fumble about being different is more interesting to me.

Do not expect frequent regular streams from Jeff. He's a consultant for Hit Detection, so he often travels, and has real work to do when he's home.

Well, his twitch page has a title : "Jeff Plays Dark Souls 2 Part 2: I'm So Pro It Hurts (For You)", does that mean he's going to stream tonight?

I change the title after each stream so it means nothing. Check twitter.com/greenspeak and this thread to get a heads up by Jeff when there's going to be a stream.

K.Sabot

I'm super happy someone else noticed the animations not matching up with the movement in the world.

Probably the worst thing about DkS2 that they had no reason to change, it was absolutely perfect in the first one.

Also his complaints about everything looking cartoony is most likely attributed to how washed out the lighting is, it makes everything look flat and lifeless, almost like a cartoon.

Elixist

I'm super happy someone else noticed the animations not matching up with the movement in the world.

Probably the worst thing about DkS2 that they had no reason to change, it was absolutely perfect in the first one.

Also his complaints about everything looking cartoony is most likely attributed to how washed out the lighting is, it makes everything look flat and lifeless, almost like a cartoon.

ive gotten used to the movement, my main problems are visually the game is all over the place.

A suggested title card

N45PVLs.jpg

1080p version
ewppbc3.jpg

iuuk

Many people noticed the movement, it's the most common and reasonable complaint about Dark Souls II, just because it's not really a matter of opinion; it's just there. I didn't really notice it and loved DSII (more than I) but it is there, and it's something a lot of people complained about. It's even something that made a lot of people hate the game before giving it a fair chance (which is going a bit too far in my humble opinion).

However; I'd say that the biggest problem Dark Souls II has is that Majula and the first couple of areas just aren't all that great and they will definitely affect your impression of the game. Apart from that the area's are more diverse, the enemies are more difficult when fighting them one on one (even though the pre-order mace seemed overpowered looking at Jeff's stream) and warping from the get go makes for a Demons like experience (being able to call quits in an area whenever you feel like it). Looking solely at GAF posts I'd say there's quite an overlap in people not liking Dark II as much and people liking Dark I more than Demon's (or not playing Demon's at all).
It's kind of what I feared was going to happen with Jeff, but hey; there's still an awful lot to explore, and the areas are going to get a lot better.
Lost Bastille
and
Drangleic Castle
are both brilliant areas that precede a climb in overall quality (imho, again).

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
When's the next stream, Green!

Tomorrow (Tuesday) night!
Probably not euro friendly again---but I'll make up for that another time during the week.

Also: Someone on YouTube felt I was being overly harsh on the game in my first stream. And I was critical for sure. I *do* think the movement is inferior to DS1--or at least just the feeling of the character in the world. It looked like I was floating over the ground rather than touching it. And I was also surprised that the look had moved so far away from that dark gothic look of the DS1. But that's because I had literally never seen the game before. I'm not being defensive now. :) I'm just saying, I think my initial reactions were probably not that far off base from what a lot of people felt on first glance. But obviously I'm just at the very beginning, and given how awesome DS1 was, I'm assuming I am going to adjust to the changes and dig the game, simply because From has earned the trust. Bottom line: If I sounded like I was hating on the game--those were just off the cuff first impressions.

Probably not euro friendly again---but I'll make up for that another time during the week.

Also: Someone on YouTube felt I was being overly harsh on the game in my first stream. And I was critical for sure. I *do* think the movement is inferior to DS1--or at least just the feeling of the character in the world. It looked like I was floating over the ground rather than touching it. And I was also surprised that the look had moved so far away from that dark gothic look of the DS1. But that's because I had literally never seen the game before. I'm not being defensive now. :) I'm just saying, I think my initial reactions were probably not that far off base from what a lot of people felt on first glance. But obviously I'm just at the very beginning, and given how awesome DS1 was, I'm assuming I am going to adjust to the changes and dig the game, simply because From has earned the trust. Bottom line: If I sounded like I was hating on the game--those were just off the cuff first impressions.

it's awesome that you acknowledge the shock of the new wearing off in this second outing, I'd like to hear your full thoughts when you;re done with the entire game, especially your opinions on the bosses and architecture.

Pro gamer and consultant, Jeff Green has keen observations. You are not alone in them.

By the way, are you going to do a blog post on your experience with Dark Souls, a player review?

Minamu

The game has more bosses and areas than the previous two games, a lot of them quite memorable. Same thing with the bosses. I'm sure you'll like it. First time I ever got into pvp in the series, it finally clicked with me.

JustinBB7

I felt the same way as Jeff, I actually said fuck this game, this game sucks. At the beginning. Looked bad, controls were fucked (for keyboard/mouse) and the game just felt clunky in general. Now I'm 30+ hours in and I barely notice it anymore and I love it.

Gattsu25

Banned

Jeff, your initial impressions exactly matched mine.

eot

Banned
Since people have linked some other LPs in here as well as in the old thread I'll give a quick plug for one chill guy whom I like. Not trying to steal your viewers Jeff!

zma1013

It looked like I was floating over the ground rather than touching it.

To be fair, Dark Souls 1 had it's fair share of spots where your character is floating above the ground. One in particular is the area around where you first meet Solaire, just before you cross the bridge with the dragon in DS1. Not that that really excuses DS2, but it happens in a lot of games, most of the time it just goes unnoticed.

On a similar note, once you get a bow, you'll also find there's a surprising amount of invisible edges in the game that block your arrow shots when trying to shoot around corners which was also in previous games but it seems to be more apparent in this game for some reason. That's something that really needs fixed, or the geometry needs change to match up with the invisible edges.

Minamu

To be fair, Dark Souls 1 had it's fair share of spots where your character is floating above the ground. One in particular is the area around where you first meet Solaire, just before you cross the bridge with the dragon in DS1. Not that that really excuses DS2, but it happens in a lot of games, most of the time it just goes unnoticed.

On a similar note, once you get a bow, you'll also find there's a surprising amount of invisible edges in the game that block your arrow shots when trying to shoot around corners which was also in previous games but it seems to be more apparent in this game for some reason. That's something that really needs fixed, or the geometry needs change to match up with the invisible edges.
yeah not being able to shoot arrows where I aim and clearly should be able to is annoying as hell. Same problem in ds1 but bows are muuuc more viable in ds2. Jeff! Upgrade a bow and try to find poison arrows asap, putting 3-4 arrows into a dude and watching him drain his life away is hilariously evil and satisfying xD Though that would probably require some DEX.

Jeff:

* You could have warped to a further location. After you click on the main area to warp to (ex: forest of the giants) look down - there are multiple warp points.
* The dagger, shortsword, etc. aren't DLC weapons. You don't have to use a broken sword.

Top Bottom