• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Green plays Dark Souls II - The real Black Dragon starts here

I'm watching the VOD right now and the loud "FUCK" at 51:44 scared the shit out of me, I was half way paying attention and about pissed my pantaloons.
Yup that one for me too, never knew Jeff could get so angry, but he is black dragon after all.. In any case, there is a lot of good advice from people in the thread. I can tell you that even though I platinumed Dk souls 1 and demon souls I still had alot to adjust to and died alot in the beginning as well.
Also there's the fact that as you leveled up in any souls game and get better equipment, you get a lot more room for error with a larger health pool and more defense. Jeff is starting from scratch again so he needs some time to adjust.
I agree with Jeff that he's psyching himself out. He seems to be expecting to much from himself because it's the beginning /easy part of the game, and it's not.

My advise to Jeff is take things much slower, pull enemies one at a time to not be overwhelmed (this game trends to throw a crapton of them at you at once). He should take each fight as a learning experience and try not to make the same mistakes.

I think we all took some readjusting to DS2, it's not just a straight up expansion pack. They specifically changed a lot of things about the enemy AI and groupings to counter experienced players' knowledge of the first game.

Jeff wasn't doing that badly, I think he was being too hard on himself. Once he figured out he was going the wrong way and went down the ladder he was learning with each attempt. Forrest of giants in one next time

I'm dreading seeing him go against
the sentinals of blue
though. Legitimately think that will be impossible for him without summoning
You mean the
Ruin Sentinels
? :)

I think people attempt that boss too early, or rather From placed it in an area where you come across them (naturally) very early and there is a huge difficulty spike if you go there as early as is possible. I had a tough time with it on my first blind/solo playthrough and came back to it later and sailed through it. The fast travel in the game is there to be used like this I think, maybe they expect you to go off exploring elsewhere when you hit certain points rather than just soldiering along the linear path.

I think we all took some readjusting to DS2, it's not just a straight up expansion pack. They specifically changed a lot of things about the enemy AI and groupings to counter experienced players' knowledge of the first game.

You mean the
Ruin Sentinels
? :)

I think people attempt that boss too early, or rather From placed it in an area where you come across them (naturally) very early and there is a huge difficulty spike if you go there as early as is possible. I had a tough time with it on my first blind/solo playthrough and came back to it later and sailed through it. The fast travel in the game is there to be used like this I think, maybe they expect you to go off exploring elsewhere when you hit certain points rather than just soldiering along the linear path.

Bolded makes sense to me.

Haunted

wowowow

Starting off DS2 with two depressing diarrhea streams in a row, my goodness!

At least the only way from here is up, Jeff. :D

Haunted

Go easy on the spoilers, guys. Mechanical hints and tips are fine, but straight up telling someone who wants to explore the game where to find a certain equipment item and telling him exactly what it does might be a bit much.

3. Make sure to max out all dialogue options with NPCs. Doing so will goad many of them into giving you stuff, teaching you things or selling you stuff they otherwise wouldn't.
This is absolutely crucial and goes for pretty much every NPC encounter in the game.

If you're afraid of boring the stream or don't want to spend the time yourself, mash through the dialogue until it repeats if you must, but exhaust their dialogue options, it's key to unlock shops and advance triggers in the game. I know lots of people don't want to read/listen to NPCs and just "get on" with the game instead (although many of them have interesting dialogue or share important info), but it literally takes like 10 seconds and the rewards are generally well worth it.

4. Speaking of NPCs, be wary of smashing any human-shaped statues you may run into. They may be NPCs who have been turned to stone, and who can help you out if you can figure out how to restore them to their human state.
I think they're indestructible, so no worries in that regard.

I haven't watched the Dark Souls stream, so Jeff is a fresh internet personality to me. And yeah, it's both painful and entertaining to watch him struggle through the beginning of Dark Souls 2. I like you, Jeff, and will keep watching. Keep it up! :)

JustinBB7

Caught up now, too busy playing, don't worry Jeff, I finished Dark Souls 1, 3 and a half times and can almost play it with my eyes closed, and the beginning of Dark Souls 2 gave me a lot of trouble too. It takes a while to get used too.

I think the most easily avoidable thing that you do constantly is when you come up on an enemy, you turn and run backwards to get distance - which is a good idea - but it leaves you open to get hit a couple of times. Which happens. Every time :)

Basically just dont turn and run, ever, ever, EVER. Instead: lock on, put your shield up, and back away, no matter how many there are. You'll have more time to assess the situation.

pancasdf

Neo Member
Jeff's DS2 experience thus far:

2ZckaWT.jpg

bj00rn_

Banned
Just saw part 2.. I think one of the differences between DS1 and DS2 is the higher level of multitasking required in DS2.. I somewhat struggled to conform to the changes at the beginning too. I'm not sure why From felt the need to change the formula.

Mindlog

Sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhit. Jeff is going to have to pick up the pace to beat DS2 before Project Beast hits. Good luck. We're all counting on you.

JustinBB7

Jeff better deliver on his 2 days in a row!

I just beat the game just now, can watch/read every thing dark souls 2 now in peace.

Jeff. Please change the stream title and game in your dashboard BEFORE you start streaming something other than Dark Souls 2 (or whatever the "current project" is at the moment).

My modus operandus for the stream titles is to change it to the next part of DS2 after anything you stream so even if you stream Hearthstone and change the title/game I will change it back to DS2 when I log on next time.

Having an accurate title/game for the stream before starting is basic twitch etiquette. You know we love you but please do this for us in the future. :)

Jeff wasn't doing that badly, I think he was being too hard on himself. Once he figured out he was going the wrong way and went down the ladder he was learning with each attempt. Forrest of giants in one next time

I'm dreading seeing him go against
the sentinals of blue
though. Legitimately think that will be impossible for him without summoning
Green will make him go back to his mommy.

Jeff Green ‏@Greenspeak 23m

Attention #TeamDipshit: Dark Souls 2 livestream tonight at 6 pm Pacific. I'll do a Euro-friendly afternoon stream tomorrow!

akira28

I haven't watched the stream, but Dark Souls 2 makes you learn how to quickly switch enemy targets and make full use of your endurance bar to fend them off. It's actually pretty fun when you get the hang of it. DS1 is was rare to get mobbed by groups, but DS2, it's the norm.

Korten

Banned
Question, so I just watched the 3 videos of Jeff Green's Deaths in Dark Souls... Is it still worth it to go back and watch or just go on to Dark Souls 2?

Minamu

Question, so I just watched the 3 videos of Jeff Green's Deaths in Dark Souls... Is it still worth it to go back and watch or just go on to Dark Souls 2?
The guy died 853 times I believe. The videos only cover less than 200 xD There are some good spots for sure.

Don't fret Jeff, I died nearly 400 times in my first run of ds2, and I have two platinums in ds1, apart from demon's souls.

Korten

Banned
The guy died 853 times I believe. The videos only cover less than 200 xD There are some good spots for sure.

Don't fret Jeff, I died nearly 400 times in my first run of ds2, and I have two platinums in ds1, apart from demon's souls.

Do you know where I should pick up after the video? I remember him kill Quelaag at the end of video 3.

Havel

Jeff, ADP increases your rolling invincibility frames and the speed at which you drink Estus and Lifegems.

Watching the VOD and I'm dying about Jeff getting busted shit talking the kids chore recital lol. That startled look on his face when he looks behind him is priceless.

holy shit, Jeff has managed to already having some enemies not respawn anymore but all those souls are gone :p

Jeff, the moment you have 800 souls => go to Majula and go to the blacksmith there, you'll see then what you could do to make killing enemies a bit easier

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I really hope Jeff summons more in this run: it's very fast on pc and it's just entertaining to watch.

I really hope Jeff summons more in this run: it's very fast on pc and it's just entertaining to watch.

Yeah I don't mind him leaving a sign out and exploring in other peoples worlds either, it's a great way to find your way around without the risk of losing all your stuff.

Top Bottom