• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jefferies Equity Analyst: Mario Kart 8D a "mega-hit on a different scale altogether"

ASIS

Now I figured it out.

"Starved for games" is the new "Artificial Scarcity."

Coming soon: "it's just a fad"

Hold up, you're getting ahead there.

First it's, "Sales will fall off a cliff once all Wii U owners buy a Switch."

and then, "Sales will fall off a cliff once all 3DS owners buy a Switch."

Then, "It's just a fad."

also, don't forget

"Of course Mario Odyssey broke all records for Mario-3D games, it's their only Q4 game, switch gamers are starved for games and they had nothing else to buy!"
Someone really needs to do a "Switch will be doomed" chalkboard.

Platy

It's really a denouncement of teenage boys' and young adults' own childhood. They wanna be the grown-ups now, and they want their "mature" games to do good, not these kiddy Nintendo games that they used to enjoy but can't anymore because they have this "mature image" of themselves to keep up.

Or they want Nintendo to be doomed so they can play Nintendo games without buying a Nintendo system.. for reasons that go from lack of power on Nintendo consoles to the maturity thing you mentioned.

Except that competition is vital to any industry and ....well, SEGA show us that a First party going 3rd isn't that wonderful for new and exciting games

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think you're pretty accurate here. You can't ignore the fact that no major retail games are coming to Switch. Ghost Recon Wildlands, Neir, Mass Effect Andromeda, Persona 5, Sniper Ghost Warrior, Prey and Injustice 2 are all major retail games that have come out since the Switch launch that may of interested some Switch owners instead of Mario Kart.

Even if those games had come out on Switch Mario Kart 8 would of likely sold very well. However if it had more competition some may of chosen to buy other games instead of Mario Kart.
I think you are kidding yourself of think most people who bought MK8 don't have a system with access to the games you listed there. Someone interested in Persona 5 or JRPGs likely owns a PS3/PS4. And P5 being on Switch wouldn't change the fact that the persona would get the game on either system anyway.

Also none of the games listed are a substitute for Mario Kartb- so the influence they would have on MK would be limited even if they were all also on Switch.

I guess this will be the to go excuse for upcoming Switch titles that perform well.

Piscus

...yeah, this thread isn't going to last much longer, is it. Regardless, I hope Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and the Switch both keep selling.

gogogow

I think you are kidding yourself of think most people who bought MK8 don't have a system with access to the games you listed there. Someone interested in Persona 5 or JRPGs likely owns a PS3/PS4. And P5 being on Switch wouldn't change the fact that the persona would get the game on either system anyway.

Also none of the games listed are a substitute for Mario Kartb- so the influence they would have on MK would be limited even if they were all also on Switch.

I guess this will be the to go excuse for upcoming Switch titles that perform well.

That excuse has been used for years. If a Nintendo game sells bad, it's because the console bombed and it's a "duh!". If a games sells exceptionally well, it's because Nintendo fans are starved for games. These people always have these replies ready. They just can't take positive Nintendo news. They feel threatened by Nintendo's success or they get salty and/or angry when Nintendo finds success.

tzare

Seems like the perfect storm for Nintendo.
But too early to draw conclusions, we need to see what happens once the dust has settled, I'n 12- 18 months.

That said I've been tempted to buy a switch for Mario kart, since i skipped wiiU. But will resist, we all know a hardware revision will be released sooneror later or better pricing.
And also what happens when online goes behind a paywall

I love Nintendo just as much as the next man, but some of you guys are letting Nintendo off the hook. Mario Kart is an excellent game, but with its online infrastructure the way it is right now, there is no way you can say its the perfect game. Hell, its a chore just to try and play with your friends online. A lot of reviewers have been giving Nintendo a pass on these issues when they would absolutely slaughter a game in the same situation on another platform. I'm not a hater but i really wish some of you would chill with all this hype when there are still some glaring issues.

...where did I say it was perfect?

I've pretty much railed on Nintendo's decisions for the past 3 years, including some with the Switch.

Platy

Makes you wonder why Sony and Microsoft have slept on the kart racing genre any genre Nintendo is famous for so much this generation.

Fixed

Sony tried a pratically low budget Smash clone and sold more than SF5.

The rest, kart racing, party fighters, "zelda" both 3d and 2d, metroidvanias, 3D and 2d platformer (no, knack is too much combat focused) and other stuff is pratically nintendo and indies these days

Fiendcode

So touché bro! Except you forgot the hype over wiiu asscreed 3 and blops2 and the fifa port begging on this very same forum 4 years ago.
Was there much hype over those games at Wii U launch? All I really remember about launch window western multiplats was talk of performance deficiencies vs 360/PS3, missing dlc, using last year's build and launching against full collections on other systems. The only two bright spots seemed to be NFSMW and Trine 2, both unique cases where the developers actually put in the effort to take advantage of the platform. And one bombed while the other was an indie game.

random25

Fixed

Sony tried a pratically low budget Smash clone and sold more than SF5.

The rest, kart racing, party fighters, "zelda" both 3d and 2d, metroidvanias, 3D and 2d platformer (no, knack is too much combat focused) and other stuff is pratically nintendo and indies these days

Those games won't highlight their strength in hardware power. Realistic graphics and more mature games are where their audiences are at right now. A kart racer without a popular character from their past like Crash won't do well for Sony, and MS aren't into old Rare mascots right now. They'd rather focus on racing Sims, which do very well for them anyway.

Lexxism

I recall that many on GAF predicted it would bomb. Funny how two months can change the narrative. 'Mario Kart selling well is not a surprise.' LOL.

Nintendo's success really bring out the crazy in people.
It's really funny. Nintendo's success brings a lot of salt to GAF

Platy

Those games won't highlight their strength in hardware power. Realistic graphics and more mature games are where their audiences are at right now. A kart racer without a popular character from their past like Crash won't do well for Sony, and MS aren't into old Rare mascots right now. They'd rather focus on racing Sims, which do very well for them anyway.

Yo know what would highlight strenght in hardware power ?

A new Blast Corps. Gta with destructible enviroments. But microsoft hates RARE properties so whatever =P

edit : but it works for every other big company. Capcom is leaving money on the table by not getting behind the smash public on microsoft and sony consoles for example

I love Nintendo just as much as the next man, but some of you guys are letting Nintendo off the hook. Mario Kart is an excellent game, but with its online infrastructure the way it is right now, there is no way you can say its the perfect game. Hell, its a chore just to try and play with your friends online. A lot of reviewers have been giving Nintendo a pass on these issues when they would absolutely slaughter a game in the same situation on another platform. I'm not a hater but i really wish some of you would chill with all this hype when there are still some glaring issues.

I wouldn't really call it a chore. One of my friends or me create a room and it will automatically show up under friends option in the online menu and we all join or they join me if I create it. We never have had problems joining each other or vice versa. Yah there were some com errors the first day while racing but I figured with launch it was gonna happen as no launch for any online goes smooth but since then it's been buttery smooth online with no lag which is the most impressive thing especially in 200cc.

Now if we want to talk system wide features like having no party chat client built into the Switch OS like the ps4 and xb1 have then yah the online infastructure is very disappointing. We all knew that before MK8D launched so its not really a knock against the game but rather the Switch OS. Nintendo said their online service is not going to go up until the fall and a trial version coming with Splatoon 2 I assume.

Honestly, MKD8 plays amazing for it being 60fps online with everything going on. Never have I noticed lag playing with friends online or with 11 other people in online multiplayer.

I think it would be better for everyone if we stop worrying so much about "salt," "eating crow," "b-b-b but GAF said X but Y happened!"

Yea, why can't the Switch just be successful and everyone be cool about it? Everyone deserves to play Mario Kart 8... Game is fucking dope.

But some Nintendo fans are very sensitive and insecure. There aren't really that many salty people... If you look at the first couple of pages of this thread (really, any NeoGAF thread of this nature), there's really only one or two truly salty people, one or two more expressing healthy skepticism, and the remaining 90% of posters being Nintendo fans overreacting defensively and complaining about "salt," when in reality they're all replying to the same one or two dudes. Situation is borderline comical...

Oregano

Was there much hype over those games at Wii U launch? All I really remember about launch window western multiplats was talk of performance deficiencies vs 360/PS3, missing dlc, using last year's build and launching against full collections on other systems. The only two bright spots seemed to be NFSMW and Trine 2, both unique cases where the developers actually put in the effort to take advantage of the platform. And one bombed while the other was an indie game.

NFS was missing the DLC too.

As pathetic as the Wii U SKU sales were not one release was on par with the other SKUs.

semiconscious

Gold Member
”No, this is not just any ordinary success. The scale of this success is many times bigger than what is visible with ‘MK8D sales of 459K units exceeded MKWii sales of 405K'. Analyzing the scale, we realize that like-for-like, MK8D is mega-hit on a different scale altogether (maybe 5-10x better)."

It's perhaps the second meaningful release on a console that's starved for games - I don't think its success is all that surprising with that context.

one's hype, & one's reality. which is which? we report. you decide :) ...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
We're still going to get a MK9 on Switch right?

Maybe not? MK8D is basically the optimal multiplayer MK they could do on their current hardware, so what would the point really be? There's a reason every console only gets one MK, one Smash, etc.

I want them to do a Mario Kart Adventure next. Think DKR, but set in the Mushroom Kingdom. They've never had any really meaty SP content in MK (especially not lately - MK8 basically has nothing), I think it's about time. MK8D can coexist with it as the MP-focused entry.

Neff

The salt in this thread!

Have we ever had a thread regarding the psychology behind Nintendo Haters? It's remarkable!

They're still the top dogs of the industry, at least in terms of iconography, going the distance, and harvesting raw, filthy profit. That can sting a bit if you're cheerleading Xbox or PlayStation alone (and I pity anyone who does). For a certain kind of gamer raised in the post-PlayStation climate and receptive to marketing pushing 'games for adults', they might wonder why Nintendo is still hanging around with their colourful, childish recycled games and gimmicky, underpowered, toy-like hardware rather than bowing out for a worthier successor to take the throne, or even wishing for Nintendo's failure in the hardware market leading to third party participation on more established hardware. As a 40+ gamer, I'm old enough to remember a time when the same demographics queueing up for CoD today did the same for Nes, Game Boy, and Super Mario Bros 3 decades ago. The games are still the same, but gamers themselves have changed quite a bit.

Nintendo hate is a different thing from MS or Sony hate. Those individuals tend to subscribe to a tribalistic rivalry, a petty 'if you're not with me you're against me' antagonism we see everywhere, every day. Nintendo hate goes a bit beyond that, since it's largely perceived to be a different market, even a niche one, but some gamers really, really have it in for Nintendo nonetheless, often for a bunch of reasons. It's a shame.

My goodness. Why can't I enter one Switch-related thread and not find it devolved into a bunch of off-topic nonsense?

Anyway, there does seem to be a lot of interest in MK8D. I've been playing it on the bus this past week and have noticed that people are watching my Switch a lot more than when I would play Zelda. Also, friends of mine who do not own the Switch have asked me about it. People are definitely curious and keen to see it.

I never expected the game to bomb - it's Mario Kart, after all - but I will admit that I didn't expect it to be the fastest-selling game in franchise history. I think it's safe to say that it'll sell well for a while yet.

What I find weird about the perception that Switch users are starved for games is that this is the first time in the last five years that I feel like I'm not starved for games on my Nintendo system.

I've got great content coming basically every month for the rest of the year.

I haven't caught up with the rest of the thread but this basically echoes my sentiments perfectly. I already own 8 games for this console (though I regret buying Mr. Shifty a little bit) and this month alone I'm planning to buy 2 more (Thumper and NBA Playgrounds) and Bomberman too at some point...

I can't remember the last time I've owned 10 games in under 3 months for a console. I'm swimming in games here.

Nibel

78EVZAc.png

How times have changed 🤔

Little Mons†er;235917016 said:
lol GAF never change

It really is quite depressing how shit the Switch threads become because of shitty posters.

But I'm not opposed to more Wii U ports. It would be criminal for some of those games to not be given a wider audience.

I see more persecution complex posts in here than actual salty posts. Every console/videogame company has haters. It isn't a phenomenon unique to Nintendo. You derail the topic more with drive-by "Nintendooomed!" or "LOL Nintendo haters are so upset" posts than the supposed salty gaffers.

As I said in my post earlier, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold well because it's a Mario Kart game and the best one ever released at that. No doubt the lack of competing software helped as it does with any software launch, but in the end it would have been successful regardless.

geordiemp

yeah that's right - it's all a conspiracy...!

I was poking fun at the nature of investors (exaggerated buy and sell motives for money).

My comment was on the share trading, I made no comment on the game sales or console sales as in my view its too early to extrapolate anything..

So I have no idea what you are going on about,

Jacobson

I see more persecution complex posts in here than actual salty posts. Every console/videogame company has haters. It isn't a phenomenon unique to Nintendo. You derail the topic more with drive-by "Nintendooomed!" or "LOL Nintendo haters are so upset" posts than the supposed salty gaffers.

As I said in my post earlier, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe sold well because it's a Mario Kart game and the best one ever released at that. No doubt the lack of competing software helped as it does with any software launch, but in the end it would have been successful regardless.

Well of course you won't find any in this thread. You can find them in other threads. Most common I've seen is the Switch won't sell well since all announced games are ports

cyba89

Funny that people are saying the success is not so impressive (Mario Kart always sells well and Nintendo hardware always sells to Nintendo fans) when we literally just had the news that this MK launch is bigger than any before (on consoles with multiple times the current Switch install base).

I'm just happy the best Mario Kart is now on a platform that is actually desirable for the general audience.

Astral Dog

Breath of the Wild was a driving force behind those sales. I'm speaking as a Switch owner, that the game drought makes Mario Kart 8 a must buy.

I wonder if it would have sold as well in an environment with competing AAA third-party games. It doesn't really have competition.
likely because Mario Kart is very popular.you should have thought about these comments a bit. 😆

Well of course you won't find any in this thread. You can find them in other threads. Most common I've seen is the Switch won't sell well since all announced games are ports

Okay but again, every system has it's haters. Xbox gets shit here regularly, probably more than Nintendo in fact. There's literally a whole thread that's regularly linked on this forum where people were proclaiming the PS4 pointless and Sony doomed before this generation started, and even then you still had multiple posts where people would make up excuses as to why the PS4 was doing so well, albeit those are minimal now.

Both sides just need to calm down a little bit. Nintendo fans need to stop being so uptight when people make negative comments about the Switch, and Nintendo "haters" are just going to have to deal with the fact that Nintendo has another success on their hands. Switch threads are becoming insufferable.

This isn't a "both sides" situation. You have fans enjoying their console and games and being slightly hyperbolic about it, like it happens for anything ever that fans enjoy, and you have people shitposting like mad men about it because Nintendo ran over their dogs or they caught Reggie wearing their moms bathrobe.

It will die down, relax. I'm enjoying the shit out of my Switch. Why would I let a random poster on GAF who I don't know ruin that with a comment that ultimately means nothing. Gotta stop being so sensitive to any and all criticism. Just because the system is a success it doesn't make it free from criticism. I've seen plenty of instances of people making valid complaints and getting dog piled by Nintendo fans. It works both ways.

Both sides (Nintendo Fans and Haters) have become a bit unbearable to be honest. On the one side the haters that downplay Nintendo's success and claim that there are no games at all. On the other side the fans that celebrate Wii U ports as the second coming of christ and try to tell people that portable gaming is the only way to play games now.

@topic: no surprise here. Mario Kart always was a system seller and it fits really well on the switch with it's split-screen-modes and accessibility. Easiy to pick up and share with (non-gamer) friends.

This isn't a "both sides" situation. You have fans enjoying their console and games and being slightly hyperbolic about it, like it happens for anything ever that fans enjoy, and you have people shitposting like mad men about it because Nintendo ran over their dogs or they caught Reggie wearing their moms bathrobe.

Turrican3

They're still the top dogs of the industry, at least in terms of iconography, going the distance, and harvesting raw, filthy profit. That can sting a bit if you're cheerleading Xbox or PlayStation alone (and I pity anyone who does). For a certain kind of gamer raised in the post-PlayStation climate and receptive to marketing pushing 'games for adults', they might wonder why Nintendo is still hanging around with their colourful, childish recycled games and gimmicky, underpowered, toy-like hardware rather than bowing out for a worthier successor to take the throne, or even wishing for Nintendo's failure in the hardware market leading to third party participation on more established hardware. As a 40+ gamer, I'm old enough to remember a time when the same demographics queueing up for CoD today did the same for Nes, Game Boy, and Super Mario Bros 3 decades ago. The games are still the same, but gamers themselves have changed quite a bit.

Nintendo hate is a different thing from MS or Sony hate. Those individuals tend to subscribe to a tribalistic rivalry, a petty 'if you're not with me you're against me' antagonism we see everywhere, every day. Nintendo hate goes a bit beyond that, since it's largely perceived to be a different market, even a niche one, but some gamers really, really have it in for Nintendo nonetheless, often for a bunch of reasons. It's a shame.
This (40+ gamer here as well)

I'll just add that I find it relatively easy to understand why the hate is so peculiar in Nintendo's case: barring a couple of exclusives here and there, Sony and MS are basically sharing the exact same lineup due to targeting the same demographic.

So it would just sound plain weird to see a person loving Sony criticizing with the same harsh a MS supporter and viceversa. Nintendo is so objectively distinct from both in terms of its offering that it probably explains why some of the most childish/insecure people might feel the need to bash them night and day, heck maybe silently hoping for them to finally go out of business.

Pathetic, but hey, I guess that's what real life is actually about.

And by the way, nowadays, hironically, I think I could say that I've "grown up" from being a Sony/MS supporter (really liked them some 20 years ago). But I've never ever wished them going bankrupt since Nintendo become my favourite VG company, simply because I truly believe a market with real competition is a healthy one.

You gotta admit though that Nintendo brings a lot more of this forum's dark side than the other two.

Oh, and 'Nintendooomed!' is never not relevant when it comes to success stories such as this one. It's a decades long running gag that's always welcome.

Bluth54

Honestly you're just being willfully ignorant if you think that having an almost complete lack of competition for major titles on the Switch didn't help the launch sales of Mario Kart 8.

I'm not saying Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would ever have sold poorly. It's an excellent game and would of sold very well no matter when it was released or how much competition it had. Most gamers don't have an unlimited budget to buy games. If there were more major titles on the Switch some Switch owners would of bought those titles instead and may of delayed buying Mario Kart or decided to skip it all together.

Top Bottom