• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: "100% Steam is coming to Xbox"

StereoVsn

And it’s only $16 billion! What a bargain!

xWVqTIo.gif

Nydius

Gold Member
The absolute death of Xbox as a brand. Why would anyone buy from the Xbox storefront when everything will be on Steam, cheaper? This just turns the next Xbox into a prebuilt midrange PC with none of the upsides of being a PC (modular/individual component upgrades, etc.).

Gabe is a master, I guess.
After the Steam Machine idea died he just sat back and let Xbox implode until they willingly chose to become a Steam Machine.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
I guess If I can't get my hands on the Nvidia 5090 I might be able to find the Series Steam.
I would hope the next Xbox console is a good handheld device.

It would allow me to play steam and game pass native games without having to buy a dedicated PC handheld.

Curious to know how Steam will work on ARM devices. I guess Valve is already preparing Proton port or something similar for ARM anyway.

Last edited:

MH3M3D

Who's gonna use the MS store when Steam is there? People would only get the machine to buy from Valve? Do they get royalties from Valve when a game is sold on the Xbox?
Calculating Zach Galifianakis GIF by filmeditor

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Is this MS at the last stages of throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks?

Does this mean we'll finally get a good PC interface from Microsoft designed so that it can be operated using just a controller?
They really should find a way to somehow move Xbox OS features to Xbox Store at least.

Who cares? If they’re subsidizing an affordable HTPC with a good UI that I can access steam from I’m so in. This sounds so much better than more closed garden junk.

If MSI is slapping an Xbox logo on a $1,000 HTPC I’m out.
Nobody is going to subsidize anything. The consoles are at 499$ right now and prices for the next gen will continue to grow.

Last edited:

rm082e

Is this MS at the last stages of throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks?

Well, they can't exactly shut down a division that's bringing in a big revenue number just because it's not making a big enough profit margin. Let's just assume for a minute they've decided they want to get out of being a walled-garden hardware company. How do they migrate towards being a third party publisher? One way to do that is to transition to an open gaming platform that's basically a PC. If they do that, they may be able to carry their existing player base forward for one more generation as they ramp up investment in their big IPs to try and make more money off of them.

marjo

Even if it’s a PC of some sort, They won’t make a cent from third party games sold on Steam.

Yes, but it does give them a box to sell Game Pass subscriptions, which is what they really want. I think this could turn out to be a pretty great move. Valve finally gets a Steambox with standardized hardware. Consumers get a probably cheap 'living room' PC, and Microsoft gets another device that plays Game Pass games natively (not cloud based). Hopefully this means they would make Game Pass games run through Steam which would allow for easy Steam Deck use as well.

GHG

Gold Member
Even if it’s a PC of some sort, They won’t make a cent from third party games sold on Steam.

If they decide to go down the Steam Deck route then it will simply be a "transitional" device for the Xbox console userbase.

It will signal that they are no longer specifically interested in making their store the primary means of making money from the device.

T4keD0wN

Like hell Gabe would even want to have any serious business with microsoft.
Did we really need a thread out of some unserious comment?

Last edited:
Top Bottom