• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: "100% Steam is coming to Xbox"

Pop

If this is true, we're seeing a glimpse the beginning of the end of consoles as we know them - But it's all good.

Music Video Fire GIF
And why is that?

When is Xbox ever leading

Even if it’s a PC of some sort, They won’t make a cent from third party games sold on Steam.

They won't have to.

I personally don't think the next Xbox is gonna be a PC (anymore). But I do think it's going to be very PC-like. As in:

1: Accessible alternative gaming storefronts (Steam, EGS, GOG etc.). Probably tied to a subscription (revamped Game Pass tiers) (i.e Valve ain't giving no Steam access cut to MS so MS gotta make money off Steam some other way)​
2: Running Windows apps through a compatibility layer (and maybe some changes to Xbox OS in the background for those apps) that are whitelisted & downloaded from Windows Store​
3: Modular component upgrades depending on device form factor (i.e upgradable system RAM in a console, upgradable screen for a laptop etc.)​

So outside of not running full-fat Windows, it could still provide more or less what you'd expect from a PC. This wouldn't even require them to change their software strategy; they're already going pretty much 3P anyway and they'd just go Day 1 on Sony & Nintendo platforms sooner or right around this point.

The idea for MS here would be to sell based on features & function, not exclusives. And they're probably the only company right now with the vested interests in PC and the outright need for a major pivot, that could make something like this work out.

Last edited:

Killer8

This is really the logical conclusion for Xbox hardware. MS won't be willing to pour billions into R&D catering to a tiny enthusiast fanbase. What we'll probably see is a sort of Steam machine approach going forward ie. a PC in a box, which will not be sold for anywhere near the losses they used to sell Xbox for (I believe it was up to $200 per Xbox Series X). The Microsoft Surface team is now leading development on the Xbox hardware, who have a lot of experience cramming PCs into nice looking, compact chassis - for a premium price.

Typically consoles are sold as loss leaders. MS were once willing to take a hit on hardware to get people through the door to buy software. However, it makes little business sense to continue losing so much money on hardware when the software sales are in the shitter. Game Pass will have also shifted that model of software profits seesawing hardware losses anyway. They really just want to sell you the GP subscription now, and then where you use that (PC, streaming, probably their rumored handheld, or their 'Xbox') doesn't really matter to them. What platform you buy their first party games doesn't matter to them either - as long as you do it.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
Come on man do u believe in regulators? They just want their money. They will approve anything.

If it happens, it will be the end of game for me.
Not this purchase.
MS owns windows. Steam is the biggest PC platform. MS owns battle net and MS store.

This isn't PS and Nintendo situation. MS would have 100% monopoly on windows gaming market.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
The absolute death of Xbox as a brand. Why would anyone buy from the Xbox storefront when everything will be on Steam, cheaper? This just turns the next Xbox into a prebuilt midrange PC with none of the upsides of being a PC (modular/individual component upgrades, etc.).

Gabe is a master, I guess.
After the Steam Machine idea died he just sat back and let Xbox implode until they willingly chose to become a Steam Machine.
From a personal perspective I have steam and subscribe to GP. Would be no difference if Steam was no in the Xbox

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
To keep the most console like experience, it would be intersting if it launched still as a console and not a PC. So Xbox sandbox on one side, and Steam OS on the other side.
This would be appealing to a lot of people who want plug and play but still want to play PC games. Adds some value and flexability vs a traditional xbox.

tmlDan

To keep the most console like experience, it would be intersting if it launched still as a console and not a PC. So Xbox sandbox on one side, and Steam OS on the other side.
This would be appealing to a lot of people who want plug and play but still want to play PC games. Adds some value and flexability vs a traditional xbox.
this would be a disaster for the majority of the public who buy consoles or have any interest in the xbox ecosystem. They'd have to somehow communicate this clearly but already from your POV it seems so messy, PC gamers already have PC and if they want to move they have the steamdeck.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Unless it’s just a Windows box this doesn’t make a lick of sense.

Why would anyone want multiple stores on a traditional game console anyways? Lol

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
this would be a disaster for the majority of the public who buy consoles or have any interest in the xbox ecosystem. They'd have to somehow communicate this clearly but already from your POV it seems so messy, PC gamers already have PC and if they want to move they have the steamdeck.

Maybe some confusion, with some carefull marketing - it's the Switch 3.0! Want to play steam PC games, press the steam button! Want to play xbox, press the green xbox button!
If Sony continues to release games on steam and this machine is a 40TF monster, you would think it would appeal to some people. There is a lot of people who might want to play newer PC games but not want the hassle of a full on PC at the TV.

Holammer

Unless it’s just a Windows box this doesn’t make a lick of sense.

Why would anyone want multiple stores on a traditional game console anyways? Lol
Who says it's a traditional console? It would be market disruptor, changing what people expect from a console.
"Emulation? Tell me more!"

Oppoi

This guy Tweets have been all over the place. He is not trustworthy, and he probably doesn't know shit.
this is me yelling softly from the far side of the room, I hear you moms been all over the place...

Last edited:

DrFigs

it's obviously a huge w for steam, but what's in it for microsoft? i just kind of doubt it; it would be insane if it happened.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

If this is true keyboard and mouse must be addressed. Please Lord Gaben, Steam controller 2 that works for both the console and PC side.

Can't wait for the 70 color variations Microsoft will inevitability produce for the controller. I will buy all 70!!!

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't know how a console with Steam would make sense to any manufacturer unless it's just a glorified pre build PC (with Pre built PC pricing) or it comes with a lot of annoying caveats (like multiplayer still being paid, prices being different than steam on PC, etc)

T-0800

This is really the logical conclusion for Xbox hardware. MS won't be willing to pour billions into R&D catering to a tiny enthusiast fanbase. What we'll probably see is a sort of Steam machine approach going forward ie. a PC in a box, which will not be sold for anywhere near the losses they used to sell Xbox for (I believe it was up to $200 per Xbox Series X). The Microsoft Surface team is now leading development on the Xbox hardware, who have a lot of experience cramming PCs into nice looking, compact chassis - for a premium price.

Typically consoles are sold as loss leaders. MS were once willing to take a hit on hardware to get people through the door to buy software. However, it makes little business sense to continue losing so much money on hardware when the software sales are in the shitter. Game Pass will have also shifted that model of software profits seesawing hardware losses anyway. They really just want to sell you the GP subscription now, and then where you use that (PC, streaming, probably their rumored handheld, or their 'Xbox') doesn't really matter to them. What platform you buy their first party games doesn't matter to them either - as long as you do it.
If they are going to sell it for a premium price why would I want to buy it over building a PC?

Smoke6

Ugh I don’t get this shit at all! MS mentions having that being a thing on their next console as sort of a pipe dream type of thing and now right after hellblade releases to subpar-ness, now these types of shit pops up to spread false “keep hope alive” for the console as always and their fanbase laps this shit up

Sorcerer

Really wouldn't surprise me if the news hit us, MS is buying Valve. Shortly after that we're hit by news of layoffs and cancellations of games and planned hardware. Celebrated of course by the same people who stuck with them through the XB1 debacle.
Microsoft will buy Steam, look at every game that sold poorly and try to fire those developers, not realizing they do not own any of those developers.
Then they will look at some of their own poorly selling games on Steam and say YIKES!!! and try to fire themselves.

You know, I assumed for a long time that those who think Xbox's failures is the console gaming industry's failures, are actually just lying. That they are not so mentally deficient as to think Microsoft is in control of the entire console landscape. That the media reporting it as such are also pretending.

But now I am not so sure. They genuinely BELIEVE this?

They really think everyone is somehow using Xbox as the bellwether of the entire console industry? Are they on drugs?

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I think we're in the try anything to save the brand phase of Xbox. I have the feeling if they do this Xbox is done as a console and becomes more of a reference gaming PC.

I think we're in the try anything to save the brand phase of Xbox. I have the feeling if they do this Xbox is done as a console and becomes more of a reference gaming PC.
If that was on the cards, Phil would still be the head of Xbox, instead of head of Microsoft Gaming. If even Phil doesn't want Xbox in his job title then it isn't worth anything.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Is this true? What is his actual track record? Actually asking.

He used to spill out correct leaks regarding Microsoft, but he's been very hit or miss lately.

His mind probably degraded after Xbox went multiplatform, Jez had a complete meltdown when they announced Hi-Fi Rush would come to PlayStation

Hari Seldon

I’m curious to see how this will work. If it is just some benefit for being a gamepass subscriber then idgaf. If they are blindly putting the store on there with complete crossplay from your existing library, then yes that would be amazing. But they get nothing from doing this other than making their box more appealing to buy as a secondary PC for those who want one.

Top Bottom