• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jez Corden: "100% Steam is coming to Xbox"

feynoob

Gold Member
If they decide to go down the Steam Deck route then it will simply be a "transitional" device for the Xbox console userbase.

It will signal that they are no longer specifically interested in making their store the primary means of making money from the device.
They want to destroy the closed garden wallet. This is a Trojan horse movement.

Wildebeest

Plot twist: next Xbox runs on Linux

Drama Monkey GIF
Even better, a game streaming platform running on Linux server farms.

How much is Jez paid by MS to just post obvious bait like this to distract from the fact that Xbox is a failed platform and undergoing major and painful restructuring?

This is like a combination of DX12 secret sauce and next year will be year of Xbox all rolled into one.

He's just desperate at this point...

StereoVsn

Who cares? If they’re subsidizing an affordable HTPC with a good UI that I can access steam from I’m so in. This sounds so much better than more closed garden junk.

If MSI is slapping an Xbox logo on a $1,000 HTPC I’m out.
They will even throw in “free” Recall on top! 😉

Red5

I think it will, so will EGS and every third party storefront. MS has been very vocal about opening up hardware to third party storefronts but not for altruistic reasons, they're aiming to force their store on Apple and Android phones globally and not just the EU, them pushing third party storefronts on Xbox might get the ball rolling in their strategy somehow.

Oppoi

Really wouldn't surprise me if the news hit us, MS is buying Valve. Shortly after that we're hit by news of layoffs and cancellations of games and planned hardware. Celebrated of course by the same people who stuck with them through the XB1 debacle.

Curious to see how something like this would work. Imagine the huge sales spike for all those $2 tiddy games.

Microsoft outsourcing their store to Valve and Steam integrating an Xbox launcher could be a possibility.

Tsaki

1. Make PC with a green sticker slapped on it
2. Lose all the Live Gold (Core) revenue
3. Epic Games, Ubisoft, EA, Take 2 etc ALL delist their games from the MS store. You can access them on their own respective stores
3. The rest of the games are all bought through Steam, making Valve the ones to receive the 20-30% commission
4. Win???

ebQOAr0.jpeg

Really wouldn't surprise me if the news hit us, MS is buying Valve. Shortly after that we're hit by news of layoffs and cancellations of games and planned hardware. Celebrated of course by the same people who stuck with them through the XB1 debacle.
Valve seem to do that quite well by themselves.

Waiting patiently for L4D3...

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Like hell Gabe would even want to have any serious business with microsoft.
Did we really need a thread out of some unserious comment?

Valve wouldn’t have to lift a finger. It’s just another prefab PC.

He thinks MS will get some form of cut. I highly doubt that Valve will ever agree to a cut, if i recall correctly, they have never paid for an exclusive game like Epic did, why would they agree to this?

Deeply stupid reply from Jez. GMG deals with publishers and other 3rd parties, not Valve.

bitbydeath

It’s rumoured to be an ARM system, which Steam does work on. Eg.

Esppiral

People complaining... That is the best thing to happen to a console, all my steam catalogue available on a console, cheaper prices, you can keep paying 80€ on the PSN storefront while I get cheap keys anywhere, also this means playstation games on Xbox...

Last edited:
He's a crybaby and a fanboy, but I do think he has an inside track with MS so I'm willing to believe him on this.

The question is, how is it going to come to Xbox? I genuinely don't think they're going to put full-fat Windows on Xbox; that's both too complicated (probably) and too much of a potential security/inconvenience issue for something they still want to present as a console-like experience. And designing a Windows UI that can 100% function with a controller? Probably impossible until they drop legacy Windows support (which will probably be never).

That's why I started thinking that MS could just work to have a native version of Steam on Xbox devices, but tie access through to Game Pass. Preferably they'd work out a separate tier for alt-storefront access but I guess that depends on how many other storefront they could get on the platform. For the time being though they could just make a version of the app that could run on the current systems and tied inn to the higher tiers that already exist (with or without price changes).

Ideally though they'd probably want to really save full fleshing out of this type of feature for new devices and structure new GP tiers to accommodate it. Regardless, they HAVE to find a way to monetize alt-storefronts on Xbox to have this make even a lick of business sense. Otherwise, they'd just be inviting people to drop Xbox Store altogether and do all 1P & 3P purchases on Steam. I don't think the financial incentive would involve having Valve pay a cut, though. Because in that sense, the prospects are worthless to Valve given Xbox needs Steam a hell of a lot more than Steam needs Xbox.

It's either this or they don't monetize it at all, but price the hardware even higher to offset things. At least with this subscription idea, they can keep the prices on the hardware a bit cheaper (so maybe a next-gen Xbox at typically expected console perf costs you $599 or $699 instead of $899). Heck, they maybe can keep the prices at the more expected $499, but I really doubt MS are going to truly subsidize Xbox hardware to that extent anymore. Cheapest next-Xbox at ~ some PS6 spec (assuming they launched around the same time; the next Xbox's rumored to launch in 2026 right?) would be either $549 or $599.

But hey, if you can access Steam and other storefronts on its (via Game Pass), run whitelisted Windows apps on it, and modularly upgrade certain components depending on the form factor (RAM, maybe GPU, etc.), $549 or $599 would actually seem pretty fair for that type of system IMO. And with some distinct value differences vs. a PlayStation (something Xbox hasn't genuinely had in 10 years).

This destroys any kind of playstation third-party exclusivity :messenger_ghost:

Man what is in those nuggets you're eating? They're giving you bad takes every day.

Why would anyone buy something from Microsoft on Xbox if they can grab it cheaper on Steam instead?

NGL, accessing Steam on an Xbox (even if via subscription, which is likely how they might do it) might be appealing to PC gamers on lower-end setups looking to upgrade, but can't afford the top-end GPUs/CPUs and don't know how to build their own boxes, is probably going to be appealing to a decent portion wanting to upgrade.

And as long as they still give a console-like experience, that type of option along with more PC-like upgradable features will probably appeal to a big chunk of remaining Xbox console fans to stay in that hardware ecosystem, even if they're otherwise mainly on something like Steam for accessing their games. It'd just have to be able to bridge towards both camps while being affordable enough for them.

In both cases I think $599, maybe $699 (latter mainly for remaining Xbox console owners since they're probably among higher-spending hardcore/core enthusiast types) is the highest the hardware could go and still find a decently sized audience to sell to. Then they'd just have to work out what the subscription rate for accessing other storefronts would be (that would need to be factored into Game Pass some way, including restructuring tiers & pricing for them, maybe also including a tier that's just for the other storefront(s))

Last edited:

Holammer

1. Make PC with a green sticker slapped on it
2. Lose all the Live Gold (Core) revenue
3. Epic Games, Ubisoft, EA, Take 2 etc ALL delist their games from the MS store. You can access them on their own respective stores
3. The rest of the games are all bought through Steam, making Valve the ones to receive the 20-30% commission
4. Win???

ebQOAr0.jpeg
Users retained in the Microsoft Windows eco system.

c36923fc3fcc6d4002e54406a91f254f.jpg

Top Bottom