• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: Nintendo - A Shit Distributor And Fuckheaded Toymaker (Nov. 28, 2016)

Not Having the NES-mini on shelves for Black Friday is just incompetence, my family was looking forward to this for the kids (and myself obviously) , I just dont get why would you do such thing to an item that everybody knew it was going to have high demand.

The defense force on Nintendo's incompetence is incredible.

Nobody's defending Nintendo's incompetence. Just that they have a plausible reason to act like they did. But incompetence is still incompetence and customers still don't have what they wanted. At this point they're losing a lot of money they could be making.

He starts with a false premise that "artificial scarcity" is real, with no real explanation as to what if any benefits Nintendo gains from such a thing - when it self-evidently harms sales, not benefits them.

Yes, a lot of people go straight to that conclusion, because that way you get to simultaneously claim that nobody wants Nintendo products, and that when there is incontrovertible evidence that people do, you get to claim that people only want them because Nintendo are secretly manipulating the market to make it look like there is more demand than there really is.

Which is just complete horse shit.
Supply and Demand doesn't work like that.

Thank you. Jim was always a total hack. I thought he got better since he got out of Destructoid and The Escapist but I guess his show must go on. No other way to get those Patreon numbers.

Someone heard from Nintendo Store employees that Nintendo didn't know the NES mini would be that popular, there is a clear problem in market research if true, and that's really worrying.

Absolutely. I think they get scared that a lot of this buzz is just "hardcore Nintendo fans" and not... just about everyone. The internet is a bubble where anything goes. It more than often is not a reflection of the real world and demand... but sometimes it is

tci

There's actually a demand for NES classic? Lol
Maybe that was Nintendo's thought as well?

I have no idea of how big the demand is, but I would hope they didn't hink it would sell that much? As someone have said, pre-orders would have given them an idea.

I am all up for criticizing Nintendo, but in this case I think even Nintendo might even have failed to understand the demand. It is just an old NES with updated tech. This would mainly sell for people of the age of 30+, the old Nintendo NES players from the 80's.

In any case I am glad Jim made the video. Nintendo still needs to learn that they still need to pay more attention to their market.

AdanVC

I don't think many Nintendo fans would disagree tbh

I'm a Nintendo fan and I 10000000% agree with Jim. That's the reason I stopped giving a damn about amiibo and the reason I didn't bought the NES Classic. Jim should have added how Nintendo gives the middle finger to everyone on Latin America with it's no-sense increase in prices. The NES Classic is almost $100 dollars in Mexico!

If Nintendo doesn't fix this before March... Nintendo Switch launch is going to be a total disaster and that's the least thing Nintendo needs right now.

I approve with this topic. It's time Nintendo got called out on their false demand with restricted supply Bullshit.

The very concept of of "false/manufactured demand" is one of the dumbest things gamers have come up with.

If Nintendo would get to choose between being guaranteed to sell significantly more pieces of something or having that "artificial demand"-nonsense, while scalpers are having one heck of a time, they'd always pick the former.

Here's the thing most people don't think about, it's really, really expensive to increase manufacturing capacity. It's sunk cost into manufacturing equipment, workers to run the line, additional shipping and storage capacity, etc. etc. It's even more expensive to have extra capacity and overstock. The additional sales from the extra capacity may not be enough to make adding the additional manufacturing economically worthwhile thus there are limited supplies, but fully meeting demand would be less profitable due to the additional cost to meet that demand. It's an unfortunate reality of physical manufacturing.

This is likely how it goes:

Their manufacturing capacity is probably an issue more for things like the screens used in 3DS- it's a crap shoot since they apparently employ current manufacturing trends (no parts in stock, not much leverage with contract manufacturers since they buy small quantities as needed).

They operate like a small manufacturer. They have a solid backlog and they keep stock down to bare minimum levels at their production facilities, so for example when they need to build some 3DSs to meet an order, they then order the parts they need to build those 3DSs. In the case of the NES Classic, they don't stock parts, they call their distributors and CMs and demand they get them right away- which Nintendo may or may not get depending on if a bigger fish than Nintendo also is demanding those parts or their production lines for assemblies like main boards.

Kthulhu

The very concept of of "false/manufactured demand" is one of the dumbest things gamers have come up with.

If Nintendo would get to choose between being guaranteed to sell significantly more pieces of something or having that "artificial demand"-nonsense, while scalpers are having one heck of a time, they'd always pick the former.

Then comes the other argument: Nintendo is being stupid.

Nintendo is practically infamous for manufactured scarcity. It would be a different story if this was an isolated incident that only cropped up with the NES Classic launch but this goes all the way back to the Wii.
X360_WW

Jawmuncher said:
I hope Nintendo doesn't pull this scarcity shit for Switch.
They've already announced plans for 2 million shipped by the end of March. If that's really supposed to be across all major regions, that's not a huge amount. That doesn't tell us much, though--after the next quarter it could be 3 million or 5 million, who knows.
Cheech said:
Underproducing the Mario 3DS makes *no* sense, though. Here you have this end-of-life console they've already been making for years with a very nice library, it's Christmas and all they have is Pokemon, so why not sell as many back catalog 3DS games as you can? I can't even fathom how much money they left on the table by making that Mario 3DS impossible to get.
It was a Black Friday sale. Companies don't want to sell infinite products at Black Friday prices, or they would be the standard prices.

I'm a Nintendo fan and I 10000000% agree with Jim. That's the reason I stopped giving a damn about amiibo and the reason I didn't bought the NES Classic. Jim should have added how Nintendo gives the middle finger to everyone on Latin America with it's no-sense increase in prices. The NES Classic is almost $100 dollars in Mexico!

If Nintendo doesn't fix this before March... Nintendo Switch launch is going to be a total disaster and that's the least thing Nintendo needs right now.

You should research a little more about prices and the dollar price
Xbox and Sony don't sell their consoles at an equal price to US, they all increase

I was a little surprised too by the NES success, it's a glorified emulator...

Here in Mexico is not THAT hard to get nintendo products... (got nes emulator with no problem, also majora's mask skull kid statue pre order a long time ago...) but you gotta try like everyone else, and tbh, Amazon Mexico made everything easier

flozuki

I was even able to reserve a day prior to release in Europe fortunately. They still haven´t had enough units but I have to say I am also surprised about the demand - a good friend of mine bought one and the last time she played was on N64! Guess Nintendo and stores failed to estimate the demand but maybe it is just to get people more thirsty for switch ;-)

atr0cious

I'm gonna guess and say they didn't have pre orders because their target market, people who don't pre order, wouldn't ever get the system. This is supposed to get nostalgic parents and millennials back to thinking about Nintendo on the cheap, while also priming them for the switch. This forum's readers are not the target market.
What does this chart even mean? That the wii wouldn't be that successful if it was round the clock stocked?

Then comes the other argument: Nintendo is being stupid.
Nintendo was right of the heels of a console generation of disappointing sales. Every arm of their business underperformed this entire generation.

Things like Amiibo and now the NES mini have never been done by a first party, let alone Nintendo, before. I understand that it's frustrating how hard some of their things are to get, it's equally understandable that Nintendo wants to be on the cautious side with unproven ideas.
Or else they'll risk a WiiU situation where they are still selling through the systems they've ordered for the first year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nintendo ship enough Pokemon Sun and Moon copies (in the millions) because they took pre-orders and gauged demand fairly accurately?

And if I'm not wrong, what would be the difference between doing that for a game and doing it for a console or collectible figurines or whatever? This is a question coming from genuine ignorance rather than being meant as a rhetorical question.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nintendo ship enough Pokemon Sun and Moon copies (in the millions) because they took pre-orders and gauged demand fairly accurately?

And if I'm not wrong, what would be the difference between doing that for a game and doing it for a console or collectible figurines or whatever? This is a question coming from genuine ignorance rather than being meant as a rhetorical question.

I don't know what's the deal with Amiibos, I always assume is that because there's such a huge quantitiy of these, doing pre-orders for every single one would be kind of a nightmare.

For the NES Mini though, I feel like they always thought of this as a niche product and treated the US market like the Japanese one.

I'm not sure though, i could be bullshitting here

Kthulhu

Nintendo was right of the heels of a console generation of disappointing sales. Every arm of their business underperformed this entire generation.

Things like Amiibo and now the NES mini have never been done by a first party, let alone Nintendo, before. I understand that it's frustrating how hard some of their things are to get, it's equally understandable that Nintendo wants to be on the cautious side with unproven ideas.
Or else they'll risk a WiiU situation where they are still selling through the systems they've ordered for the first year.

Skylanders and Disney Infinity were making bank before Amiibos were even announced.

Plug and play consoles used to sell like hotcakes.

Regardless, doing actual research to estimate demand could've alleviated the problem.

So again we loop back to the argument. Is Nintendo being stupid, or greedy?

What does this chart even mean? That the wii wouldn't be that successful if it was round the clock stocked?
That the Wii shipped and sold more than any previous console by a monstrous amount in its first few years. If they wanted produced scarcity, they were... incompetent at it.

asagami_

Banned
Xbox and Sony don't sell their consoles at an equal price to US, they all increase

Here in Mexico is not THAT hard to get nintendo products... (got nes emulator with no problem, also majora's mask skull kid statue pre order a long time ago...) but you gotta try like everyone else, and tbh, Amazon Mexico made everything easier

Actually I was salty with the New 3DS price in Amazon Mexico, but for 3500 pesos mexicanos it's not too bad. Funny it was easier buy the console in Amazon Mexico last week, buy now it's impossible to buy a new directly sold from there.

Not going to watch but people need to let go of the manufactured scarcity myth.

No one is doing this on purpose in 2016, there are a number of other complex factors that affect supply and demand. Failure to meet demand costs money and the 'free marketing' it gets is not worth loss of sales.

Nike deliberately manufactures low amounts of their new Jordan shoes and other limited editions to drive up demand. The videos of long lines, reports of mobs, high resale value, and people getting mugged over the products, increases brand awareness for the rest of their product line and future releases.

Good article on it here: http://www.highsnobiety.com/2015/06/09/sneaker-resell-market/

Edit: I should add that Nike so closely monitors demand that they almost always have sellouts and rarely over/undership by more than 5-10%. They are better at this "game" than Nintendo is.

Skylanders and Disney Infinity were making bank before Amiibos were even announced.

Plug and play consoles used to sell like hotcakes.

Regardless, doing actual research to estimate demand could've alleviated the problem.

So again we loop back to the argument. Is Nintendo being stupid, or greedy?

If they were doing this out of pure greed, they would have set the price higher than $60 for this thing. They obviously could have sold just as many if they had charged double that.

So they are either stupid for not making enough, or they are greedy and stupid for intentionally limiting supply but still underestimating demand.

I think Nintendo a company that is always conservative, is even more conservative right now. After watching the Wii U fail and seeing that Mobile is destroying the handheld market, I think they are (maybe justifiably) avoiding risks. Like a poker player who has the short stack at the table, I think they are folding on good hands and waiting for the perfect situation.

Of course, at the end of the day, the why doesn't matter. The simple fact is that I was going to buy Classic Minis as Christmas gifts for my Nieces and Nephews, but now that won't happen and that sucks.

I think Nintendo is a conservative company and does have some issues determining how many products to produce when releasing new products. They tend to go on the conservative side.

That said, when I see all of the listings on eBay and Craigslist for the NES Classic it makes me wonder how under produced it really was. I'd really like to see how many were shipped as it may not have been undershipped to the point that most think.

Still, until Nintendo fixes this the scalpers are going to continue to target their products knowing the likely hood that they can make a quick buck is high and if not, they can simply return the item. On top of that the "no pre-orders" was a clear sign to scalpers that there would be a lot of people having trouble getting this on launch day.

Petrae

In the end it's their loss. I would have bought 3NES Classics by now for presents but I will buy something else and move on.

I had money in hand for a New 3DS this past weekend. All retailers were sold out, so I didn't bother and spent the money on retro games instead. I'm not jumping through hoops and waiting in lines anymore; if Nintendo wants to short-ship, fuck 'em. I just spend my money elsewhere.

Kthulhu

If they were doing this out of pure greed, they would have set the price higher than $60 for this thing. They obviously could have sold just as many if they had charged double that.

So they are either stupid for not making enough, or they are greedy and stupid for intentionally limiting supply but still underestimating demand.

I think Nintendo a company that is always conservative, is even more conservative right now. After watching the Wii U fail and seeing that Mobile is destroying the handheld market, I think they are (maybe justifiably) avoiding risks. Like a poker player who has the short stack at the table, I think they are folding on good hands and waiting for the perfect situation.

Of course, at the end of the day, the why doesn't matter. The simple fact is that I was going to buy Classic Minis as Christmas gifts for my Nieces and Nephews, but now that won't happen and that sucks.

I don't see how Nintendo avoids risks. The Switch seems like a huge gamble, and they've shown us almost nothing about it.

Roo

lmao
You obviously have no idea how exchange rate and per country taxes work, but sure... pile on Nintendo.
And with the current situation of the peso vs the dollar (that won't change anytime soon), you better set those 8,000 pesos aside for that sweet Switch you want so bad.

Caja 117

Nobody's defending Nintendo's incompetence. Just that they have a plausible reason to act like they did. But incompetence is still incompetence and customers still don't have what they wanted. At this point they're losing a lot of money they could be making.

There are more than one post like this one in this Thread that is Defending Nintendo's approach:

Actually I was salty with the New 3DS price in Amazon Mexico, but for 3500 pesos mexicanos it's not too bad. Funny it was easier buy the console in Amazon Mexico last week, buy now it's impossible to buy a new directly sold from there.

I'll admir one thing, there is an increase in price that does not benefit the consumer, it does not help that the dollar is at 20.00 mxn, bur people should stop pretending everything shluld be sold at a 1 : 1 convertion rate

I think i'm wrong, but amazon mexico gets their stock from amazon US, they also get merchandise as an official retailer, but since they offer the abiloty to buy from amazon mexico or buy from amazon US, it is normal for amazon mexico's stock to end pretty fast.

One thing i love i how to absorb the importation fees

It's nothing special for a new hype product to sell out the first production batch.

Didn't he had the same outrage about amiibo? Short after that all amiibo had been available.

Regarding the NES Classic, this "Nintendo was playing it conservative" line is bullshit and anyone who believes it is ignoring one of the pinnacle functions of pre-order campaigns: to quantify demand.

Either Nintendo has been horribly incompetent for 30 years or they feel the lost sales is worth the PR.

Good episode.

By pure luck I was able to get my hands on one for a friends birthday. But holy shit was it hard to give it to him :p.

I'll find one eventualy....

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
As a Nintendo fan: they do not deserve any defense, especially not "they thought this would sell?"

This, Pokemon, and Mario Maker 3DS are Nintendo's only actual holiday season products in a year where Nintendo products are almost nonexistent to begin with. They announced this months ago and there was more than enough buzz about the NES Classic online to prove that unless they're totally incompetent, they KNEW this was going to sell. A starved fanbase and a product that appealed to the mainstream too... there was obviously going to be demand for it. It was a Nintendo product that got mainstream attention for months and actually received a marketing push by Nintendo, when they have those two elements they actually sell products.

When some of the biggest locations in the country can only say that they received 6 at maximum of their big holiday product, there's a problem. They've either forgotten how to make money entirely or for some reason they just don't actually want to make money, and it's honestly hard to tell which is the case.

darkrage6

Banned
He starts with a false premise that "artificial scarcity" is real, with no real explanation as to what if any benefits Nintendo gains from such a thing - when it self-evidently harms sales, not benefits them.

Yes, a lot of people go straight to that conclusion, because that way you get to simultaneously claim that nobody wants Nintendo products, and that when there is incontrovertible evidence that people do, you get to claim that people only want them because Nintendo are secretly manipulating the market to make it look like there is more demand than there really is.

Which is just complete horse shit.
Supply and Demand doesn't work like that.
You are talking nonsense, plenty of people who work in retail will tell you that Nintendo pulls that shit all the time:https://twitter.com/CountKrory/status/803236828224622592

Pandy

They have good data from previous Pokemon games to judge launch demand, and over-production isn't going to be a major problem because they know the games typically have a long sales tail.
Every console launch is a bit of a gamble, no one fully expected the Wii to sell quite as well as it did nor the WiiU quite as badly, while new products like Amiibo and the NES mini are complete unknowns.

If the SNES mini is radically understocked then Jim will have a point, but it won't be, because he's wrong.

trixx

Nike deliberately manufactures low amounts of their new Jordan shoes and other limited editions to drive up demand. The videos of long lines, reports of mobs, high resale value, and people getting mugged over the products, increases brand awareness for the rest of their product line and future releases.

Good article on it here: http://www.highsnobiety.com/2015/06/09/sneaker-resell-market/

Edit: I should add that Nike so closely monitors demand that they almost always have sellouts and rarely over/undership by more than 5-10%. They are better at this "game" than Nintendo is.

They are masters of it for sure.

I still don't get why they don't just let them release en masse. People want boots, you know sf air force are in demand, why not sell them like crazy. Okay it's one thing for limited jordans but does this need to happen with every style of shoe?

There are more than one post like this one in this Thread that is Defending Nintendo's approach:

Understanding =/= defending.

Regardless of the reasons for the shortages, they suck for consumers and you can't really defend them. But it's very worthwhile to figure out why this happens and place blame accordingly. The artificial scarcity thing is a myth- there's really no evidence supporting it and people who believe it typically don't seem to understand how supply chains and supply and demand economics works in general. However if it's true that NoA people get bonuses if their products sell out, and that is driving the low stock- that's a HUGE problem and they need to be called out for that.

But for the NES Classic, Nintendo very likely underestimated demand because, well, it's really not an attractive product to typical Nintendo customers. I personally have seen no demand on social media about it (besides here) so I'm very surprised it's selling in the way it is. I would assume NCL is similarly surprised. Early pre-orders would solve this problem though, so they really need to do that.

And people need to stop complaining about the Wii. That was absolutely unprecedented demand for a year, and Nintendo was surprisingly quick to move more shipments after the initial stock shortages. That those shipments sold out immediately was not an indictment on Nintendo's supply- it was a further effect of that unprecedented demand. The graph linked by JoshuaJSlone indicates that Nintendo did everything possible to get more Wii's out to retailers as fast as they could, far surpassing any previous console's shipments.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
It's nothing special for a new hype product to sell out the first production batch.

Didn't he had the same outrage about amiibo? Short after that all amiibo had been available.

All amiibo were certainly not available, and the ridiculous shortages only happened in North America. Japan, Europe, and Australia had full stock of every character on the regular, just like every other Toys To Life brand, and you could walk in and buy whoever you wanted. That's why so many NA fans ended up importing Australian amiibo for less than it would have cost to buy them here. Nintendo of America does not produce enough product to meet demand when it comes to these toy-oriented products. Whether that's due to intentional underproduction or sheer ignorance of the market is pretty much impossible to know, but you'd think they'd learn eventually.

Nintendo are great game makers. But terrible rucking businessmen.

Utterly terrible. It's a wonder they are still in business with the laundry list of fuck ups and straight up dumb business decisions they make.

entremet

Nintendo needs some better marketing folks. Not those that get the word out, but those who do deep market research.

They seem pretty clueless sometimes.

N.Grim

X360_WW

They've already announced plans for 2 million shipped by the end of March. If that's really supposed to be across all major regions, that's not a huge amount. That doesn't tell us much, though--after the next quarter it could be 3 million or 5 million, who knows.

It was a Black Friday sale. Companies don't want to sell infinite products at Black Friday prices, or they would be the standard prices.

Are you crazy? You can't bring logic on a Nintendo thread

darkrage6

Banned
They have good data from previous Pokemon games to judge launch demand, and over-production isn't going to be a major problem because they know the games typically have a long sales tail.
Every console launch is a bit of a gamble, no one fully expected the Wii to sell quite as well as it did nor the WiiU quite as badly, while new products like Amiibo and the NES mini are complete unknowns.

If the SNES mini is radically understocked then Jim will have a point, but it won't be, because he's wrong.

He's not wrong though, any way you look at it, a Target store only getting THREE of the fucking things is shady as shit.

AdanVC

I'm aware that pretty much every electronic device gets a price increase due to the out of control dollar price in here but NES Classic was the last straw to me. I was expecting it'll cost $1500 pesos max considering this is priced like a new released game at $60 dollars but they went full Mr. Krabs and shamelessly priced it at $2000 pesos! Not sure if this was decision from NoA themselves or Latamel, the distributor of Nintendo products in Latin America, but it's a mess anyways. I agree with you, Amazon MX at least has been great. I stopped buying gaming stuff on stores such as Liverpool or Gameplanet since Amazon MX opened more than a year ago.

Caja 117

Understanding =/= defending.

Regardless of the reasons for the shortages, they suck for consumers and you can't really defend them. But it's very worthwhile to figure out why this happens and place blame accordingly. The artificial scarcity thing is a myth- there's really no evidence supporting it and people who believe it typically don't seem to understand how supply chains and supply and demand economics works in general. However if it's true that NoA people get bonuses if their products sell out, and that is driving the low stock- that's a HUGE problem and they need to be called out for that.

But for the NES Classic, Nintendo very likely underestimated demand because, well, it's really not an attractive product to typical Nintendo customers. I personally have seen no demand on social media about it (besides here) so I'm very surprised it's selling in the way it is. I would assume NCL is similarly surprised. Early pre-orders would solve this problem though, so they really need to do that.

And people need to stop complaining about the Wii. That was absolutely unprecedented demand for a year, and Nintendo was surprisingly quick to move more shipments after the initial stock shortages. That those shipments sold out was not an indictment on Nintendo's supply- it was a further effect of that unprecedented demand. The graph linked by JoshuaJSlone indicates that Nintendo did everything possible to get more Wii's out to retailers as fast as they could, far surpassing any previous console's shipments.

It is Defending it even when claiming you are understanding their approach.

Anth0ny

yup, as a sneakerhead people telling me manufactured scarcity is a myth is making me laugh lol

thanks to amiibo, certain LEs and now NES Classic, Nintendo is starting to create a "Get it fast" reputation among customers. if you aren't in the right place at the right time, you ain't getting their product. better luck next time.

that's basically how nike and adidas sell their shoes and it works ridiculously well for them.

I would not be surprised AT ALL if Switch was ridiculously hard to find come March. Nintendo will claim they didn't expect so much demand after how poorly the Wii U performed, fanboys will eat it up, the end.

asagami_

Banned
I'll admir one thing, there is an increase in price that does not benefit the consumer, it does not help that the dollar is at 20.00 mxn, bur people should stop pretending everything shluld be sold at a 1 : 1 convertion rate

Yup between import fees and taxes I was expecting a price above 2500, maybe closer to 2800. But the actual price was still a loot better than every retail store here (and even to Amazon MX itself! if we are talking about the New 3DS XL)

bones123

God, his opening is so bad, and he looks like a white supremacist from the 1920s, but I love his content. It's cathartic listening to him shit all over basically everything.

Instro

Someone heard from Nintendo World Store employees that Nintendo didn't know the NES mini would be that popular, there is a clear problem in market research if true, and that's really worrying.

Wouldn't surprise me that Nintendo is so out of touch. The Classic is getting almost Wii levels of attention from consumers.

LordRaptor

You are talking nonsense, plenty of people who work in retail will tell you that Nintendo pulls that shit all the time:https://twitter.com/CountKrory/status/803236828224622592

It is nonsense, and people working shopfloor retail have literally no insight outside of what their microclimate ecosystem looks like.
It's like asking a temporary contract QA tester at the budget for a AAA multi-studio title.

e:
Why wouldn't you say that emulators are cool? Emulators are amazing.

And emulation itself is an absolutely fantastic thing.

Yes, but I don't think advocating downloading ROMs for free while licence holders are still selling ROMs is justifiable.
Buying a VC title and then format shifting it is different to saying "I don't want to pay $5 for a NES ROM so I'll just download it for free". That's just piracy.

The difference is, Pokémon is guaranteed big time seller.

Top Bottom