• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron (youtuber) speaks against demographic "invasion" of America by nonwhites

Status
Not open for further replies.

R0ckman

What causes these internet sensation guys to just snap? As in, what makes them feel the reputation risk is worth it to post their insane political rants? Even if you feel emboldened you STILL look like trash.

Edit: Case in point, the post above mine where his reddit wasnt having it. What made him think this was worth it?

His Reddit seem to mostly be turning on him which is giving me life.

Where can one with this destiny interview thing? Might need to watch for Schadenfreude.

If you're asking where to see this discussion, it's quoted in the OP or try here. I've watched it twice; find his discussion points fascinating in how awful and stupid they are.

SerTapTap

When the politicial climate has gradually but consistently been poking holes at the social taboos for expressing reprehensible views, we're going to see more and more people come out of the woodwork.

It's why there's so much pushback against "punching nazis" and so many people saying "don't call people a nazi just because you disagree (with their point that white people are racially superior)". Their views are becoming safer to espouse so they want to fight back and make it seem "normal" when only 2 years ago it would be (and still is) clearly racist and unspeakable.

Probably because Sky is the kind of earnest person who truly believes in the concept of hearing out "both sides" of the argument but is pretty unable to articulate a proper response for himself, and he figured Sargon was "smart" because he has a way with articulation.

Needless to say his appearance on Sargon's stream was like watching death of innocence in action. He already has a hard time defending himself in videos where he hangs out with Dunkey.

Please tell me Dunkey isn't on the crazy right winger train too

Seik

Banned
As someone who watched JT for years, I wasn't aware of that and I'm extremely disappointed to know all of this.

Shame on you Jon, no respect from me.

How often you think Arin looks at stuff like this and thinks to himself, "Holy shit, that was the biggest bullet I ever dodged in my life."

Yeah, I wonder what caused them to separate, maybe it was because of ideologies like that that they parted ways.

notaskwid

What causes these internet sensation guys to just snap? As in, what makes them feel the reputation risk is worth it to post their insane political rants? Even if you feel emboldened you STILL look like trash.

Edit: Case in point, the post above mine. What made him think this was worth it?
They think they're right and are just denouncing those SJWs out there. Trump being elected gave many of them the right boost to 'come out of the closet'.
That's what I think anyway.

Tommy DJ

The multiple articles regarding Milo's downfall basically told me everything I suspected about the alt-right.

The alt-right aren't Neo-Nazis of old where leftist counter protest groups had to prepare for serious physical conflict. They're basically almost universally white men who don't belong anywhere, have huge victim complexes and don't quite seem to completely comprehend the severity of what they're supporting.

Egoraptor was wise to part from this man.
I was wondering aboht him as well.

When they broke up a lot was siding with Jon Tron, but understandably most werent aware yet that hes a piece of shit.

How is Egoraptor now? And why did they break up in the first place, for starters? Does it have anything to do with this?

Edit: does Egoraptor hold the same opinions as Jon Tron?

To recap (and I'm sure this is not all of what JonTron said), JonTron said, in what he thought was perfectly fine for a debate:

- Foreigners dilute the gene pool
- Black crime in America is the same as in Africa (like, he fuckin' brought this up TWICE)
- Racial issues can be summed up via mixing different colors of paint
- Statistical data means nothing because Clinton lost the election
- Destiny wants to kill black people
- Black Lives Matter is a violent organization
- the richest black man commits more crimes than the poorest white man
- Tribalism is a valid theory
- Immigrants are destroying every single country they are let into
- America is gonna become Mexico
- Racism is over
- Muslims are organizing to make it seem like Christians are protesting abortion clinics

And Destiny didn't even fucking ask the most obvious fuckin' question: "If you're so concerned about immigrants, why do you keep bringing up blacks?"
I wish that I had a dollar for every time that I encountered this insanity on social media. Pure, unadulterated racism distilled down into its purest form followed immediately by the proclamation that people should get over it because "racism is dead". We can't even begin to address the problems this country has with race because so many of the racists are incapable of recognizing that their insane opinions on people of other races is not a valid starting point for debate.

Corpekata

Banned

Edit: Case in point, the post above mine where his reddit wasnt having it. What made him think this was worth it?

The crowd he's getting info from and appealing to is VERY good at using the internet and making themselves look bigger than they are. Jontron was briefly trending on Twitter for instance, and it was mostly people POSITIVE about the stream. So it probably looks to people like Jon that they aren't risking quite so much, they feel emboldened by the support they think is there.

And him being one of those "I'm a moderate rational" types means a lot of confidence that they are Kyle from South Park and they will be revealed as the voice of reason, not realizing they've been Cartman all along.

RedFury

Brings out the worst in people, or brings out people's true feelings? Since Trump has gotten into office it's felt like the latter.
This...this is fucking heart breaking. As someone who would put their life on the line for friends and family literally it hurts. Finding out people you know and love close to you feel that way is gut wrenching. Have a guy I work with who listens to right wing conspiracy radio and said something incredibly racist then says "not you though, your different". Damn man just yelling inside, should have said something but I didn't. Didn't know what to say or how to say it and now it eats at me. Speak up and speak out, use your voice is all I can say.

His Reddit seem to mostly be turning on him which is giving me life.

Where can one with this destiny interview thing? Might need to watch for Schadenfreude.

I dropped in over there and im loving it.
This...this is fucking heart breaking. As someone who would put their life on the line for friends and family literally it hurts. Finding out people you know and love close to you feel that way is gut wrenching. Have a guy I work with listen to right wing conspiracy radio and say something incredibly racist then says "not you though, your different". Damn man just yelling inside, should have said something but I didn't. Didn't know what to say or how to say it and now it eats at me. Speak up and speak out, use your voice is all I can say.
I've cut two people off recently who I thought were cool because of their beliefs...Them trying to explain how they can see me as a good one or how they could vote for a racist dude like Trump? GONE. Eff all that noise that they were making.

What makes this so weird is that, in his videos, he comes off as reasonable and cosmopolitan.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=qpBfoe3JwWM said:
We all came from the same pile of dinosaur shit guys, let's not fool ourselves here.

Yet his twitter happens. Maybe he's just been influenced by the wrong people, can happen to best. :S at least, he's been introspective enough in other videos that he seems to know he can fuck up alot.

But yeah, really sucks. I love his work otherwise. He's better than this.

Yes I am serious. I have family in India and I'm honestly surprised people outside of India thinking India is very multicultural. Or perhaps our definition of multicultural is different?

Perhaps the quantity of different cultures is big but the diversity is not that big. We have Hindus, Buddhists, Sikhs but they are quite similar. The difference between a Mexican and Nigerian is bigger than between a Hindu and a Sikh.

You have lots of tiny subcultures but that's what you can expect 1+ billion country. The majority is like 80% Hindus.

BTW Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims are all respresented in Bollywood. India also has tamils but they have their own "Bollywood". The bigger problem with Bollywood is the women being displayed as objects, but that's a whole different story.
South Indian movies are better than Bollywood movies.
Bollywood is still very backwards in many aspects.

DNAbro

When they broke up a lot was siding with Jon Tron, but understandably most werent aware yet that hes a piece of shit.

How is Egoraptor now? And why did they break up in the first place, for starters? Does it have anything to do with this?

Egoraptor seems like a good person. No one knows the details on why they split but there were rumors about of Jon supposedly treated Arin's wife. As unsubstantiated those rumors were I would not be surprised.

VDenter

Banned
Egoraptor seems like a good person. No one knows the details on why they split but there were rumors about of Jon supposedly treated Arin's wife. As unsubstantiated those rumors were I would not be surprised.

I doubt it considering he later appeared in Jon Trons Star Wars videos.

I'm really curious, if this stuff is so obvious and they're so positive about their viewpoint then why do they stutter so much? Like JonTron has spoken fine in plenty of other settings but once he's digging through his beliefs with Destiny there is so much stuttering, restarting of sentences, etc., it's just really interesting that's it's so difficult to talk about something they feel so passionately and so correct about.

wwm0nkey

I've heard mixed things about Egoraptor, but he doesn't seem terrible and if he is at least he keeps it to himself then

Zubz

Banned
Please tell me Dunkey isn't on the crazy right winger train too

Nope. He did a video that seemed to take a "both sides" standpoint, but that's justifiable. Hell, maybe even admirable in some other contexts when one side isn't fascist.

He does spew offensive stuff, though. Mostly for shock humor, but that's what people wrote Jon's use of slurs off as, too, hence the apprehension.

Theres been rumors and what not and never a direct answer to why they broke up.

From what Ive heard and parsed, it was like this:
Game Grumps started as a side channel for both Arin and Jon. They would play what they wanted, but they would still have their main channels. During this time is where Jons own channel stopped doing consistent content, so there was ire from Jon fans over Grumps. As it goes, Arin wanted to make Game Grumps into a proper production so that him and his friends could get paid. This is around the time they brought on Danny and Ross and I believe Barry was also starting to mainly do the editing, and they expanded with Steam Train. Jon backed out of this because he wanted to focus on his own channel(and around this time he kept promising fans he would start being more consistent.), and because Jon considered the Grumps as a side thing that shouldve just been that. Thats why Jons leaving was abrupt, as was Danny being thrown in the spotlight and doing double time on steam train as well as game grumps.

Thats my understanding through parsing various rumors and stories.

As for how Jon treated Suzy, the spat between Jons then girlfriend/suzy I think was just blaming suzy due to the most part of sexism from the louder fans and nothing substantial.

DNAbro

Can you elaborate?

I really can't. As I said there was no proof. People for whatever reason kept repeating that Suzy(Arin's wife) hated Jon for how he acted, either towards her or just in general I don't know. I have seen no proof and I don't know where the idea originated.

I probably shouldn't have posted that earlier since, as I said, no proof.

I like how Jon thought his views were "taboo" and that Destiny was trying to "entrap him".

If you genuinely believe that your political views aren't racist you wouldn't be afraid that people will misconstrue them as such. But instead of taking responsibility for his own shitty views he blames Destiny for trying to "make" him look bad. Y'know even though he did that all by himself.

There reached a point when Jon didn't even want to talk anymore, he knew deep down what he was saying was not OK, but weaseled his way out by blaming Destiny for being put on that position.

Even at the end when he says "RIP my career". He knows he's a full blown racist.

blakep267

Caught some of that Destiny video. Dude is an idiot. I mean I'd rather have him just come out and be overtly racist then to babble nonsense and try and pass it off as facts and playing coy

wamberz1

What does this sentence mean

Can you elaborate?

There were some completely unfounded rumors going around when jontron left about a spat between jon and suzie, and also jons girlfriend and suzie iirc.

Of course they were completely baseless and I'm pretty sure people were just looking for something to point to as "why jon left" as the whole thing was very sudden and many people were shocked.

Again, probably a 0% chance they were true.

hotcyder

I wonder how Disney's feeling about this after dropping what must of been a cool couple of thousand on his awful Star Wars retrospective - not to mention what else they've done to push his brand

If black people aren't predisposed to crime then why Africa got crime? youcantexplainthat.jpg

God damn, you have to like take a breather in between watching the whole video. Also, new drinking game, take a shot every time he refuses to elaborate or says he doesn't want to incriminate himself.

What does this sentence mean

Just hearsay that no one can seemingly say with any kind of conviction yet still gets passed around. Weirdly enough around the initial split, the stuff I heard leaned decidedly more to Jontron being the victim... but I could very easily see how that perception has been sliding for a reason.

Can't say I'm surprised. IIRC, he's been spouting a lot of this type of rhetoric for a while now, but it seems the ship finally collided with the iceberg. It's become much harder now to separate Jon's content from Jon himself because of how far gone he is, which makes me sad since I do like a lot of his content.

I like how Jon thought his views were "taboo" and that Destiny was trying to "entrap him".

If you genuinely believe that your political views aren't racist you wouldn't be afraid that people will misconstrue them as such. But instead of taking responsibility for his own shitty views he blames Destiny for trying to "make" him look bad. Y'know even though he did that all by himself.

There reached a point when Jon didn't even want to talk anymore, he knew deep down what he was saying was not OK, but weaseled his way out by blaming Destiny for being put on that position.

Even at the end when he says "RIP my career". He knows he's a full blown racist.
Didn't he say "I don't want to incriminate myself" or words to that effect? I mean what does that tell you, if not that Jon is racist and knows it?

wamberz1

I wonder how Disney's feeling about this after dropping what must of been a cool couple of thousand on his awful Star Wars retrospective - not to mention what else they've done to push his brand

Given how insanely protective of their brand they are, probably freaking the fuck out and cutting all ties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom