• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron (youtuber) speaks against demographic "invasion" of America by nonwhites

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

Okay, so I don't really understand any of these relationships, but I really don't understand what this Shane guy is arguing with the Gizmodo guy about? Like he seems to not want to be associated with Jontron, but his twitter header has multiple images of... JonTron? Like he seems to be fighting just to be fighting, definitely concerns me about his true intent.

Jon and Shane are longtime friends (probably one of few people on NormalBoots he hasn't had a falling out with). His issue with the article stems from it's claim that Jon has a reach of 12 million subscribers when you factor in channels like DYKG, PBG and also Game Grumps, all of which except the lattermost are a part of NormalBoots.

I believe for the most of the part he's just protecting the brand from a situation they had no involvement in, which is somewhat understandable since both PBG and Jirard seem to have gotten a whole mess of people questioning their worldviews because of their direct association with Jon.

Nepenthe

I'm not trying to debate, I'm trying to defend myself against the hoards of people who jumped on me after I said a simple platitude about how you should always try and talk to people first.

It was a general statement that got twisted into "LOOK, CLOUKYO THINKS WHAT JONTRON SAID IS OK"

People are taking offense to it because the insistence that every situation wherein a person expresses horrific ideals towards a group of people on the basis of inherent characteristics should be met with reasoned discourse is inherently ludicrous. This kind of discussion can only happen when the conversationalists are on the same playing field in terms of respect and sincerity, and both of these are automatically breached when one person believes the person they're talking to is fundamentally beneath them for things outside of their control. Your insistence that people "should" try talking to them also suggests some level of obligation that people aren't actually burdened with. No one is responsible for the socialization and historical education of grown-ass men. We instead have a bigger responsibility towards justice and mitigating the effects of racism, and that does not require making sure every racist is given the benefit of the doubt first.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
When you're wealthy, famous, and have a career that could be ruined in an instant you should really stay away from political statements.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck me no, I wasn't talking about the content of what Jontron said, I said in general you should try talking to someone first. In this case it was the debate that happened.

I made a general statement.

But ok whatever. I'm a nazi misogynist racist islamaphobe

No one has called you or thinks you're any of those things.

However your comments have become very confusing. People were under the impression you were saying no one should complain in this thread, it's totally pointless we should just ignore him or try to talk to him. How does that match with this idea that when you said 'try' to talk to him you were referring to the already existent debate?

People are frustrated because after talking to him he said horrible dehumanising things. Trying to talk to him in this case failed so people are venting their frustration here and hoping his hateful views don't spread further

SerTapTap

Gestault

And no, Japanese fashion is very different from American fashion. VERY different. Even when it comes to casual clothes, the men and women dress very different in japan, when it comes to actual fashion... you couldn't get away with that in any other country.

Have you ever actually been to japan?

Tokyo is the most inclusive city in japan and even then you'll be hard pressed to find an indian restaurant in the entire place.

Sure technology and the like and the like are now internationally shared, but you're really stretching if you're going to start calling that "american culture"

I'm calling bullshit on this. I currently have family in Japan, and had a parent live their middle-school years in Japan. You're right that there's a Japanese tendency to be cliquey, but basically everything else you're saying is incredibly off-base. Your assumption about the cultural "purity" of Japan is bonkers.

Want good Indian food in Tokyo? Go to Dhaba India Restaurant. Go to Priya Indian Cuisine. Moti is another great one. I've been told Raj Mahal Resturant's sort of shit-hole for the money. There are legit dozens of them.

You don't understand Japanese culture, modern or otherwise, if you don't understand how absorbing western cultural influence is a formitive element, or how the current generation basically defines itself by its cultural divergences from tradition. Your impression sounds like someone who heard in primary school that Japan was historically "isolationist" and extrapolated that over their impression of the country from anime.

When you're wealthy, famous, and have a career that could be ruined in an instant you should really stay away from political statements.

Donald Trump was also wealthy (allegedly) and famous and saying this kind of shit got him the presidency of the United States. It'd be nice if being a neo nazi had actual real life repercussions, but unfortunately I don't think we're living in that kind of world anymore.

APF

The "good" thing about the internet is, you don't have to go around asking people what they think. People like JT are more than willing to just put their opinions out there. This eliminates a lot of the need to "sit down" with people who hold wildly out-there views and "have a discussion" to find out what they believe. What they believe is already out there. The problem isn't in finding out that people have outrageous beliefs, the problem is in countering the messaging and preventing those ideas from becoming normalized. This is why people are saying debates and "meeting in the middle" aren't the solution and no-platforming is.

Im standing on Jon's side on this one

9c234f536dbe18a37a0eace8ae656041.png

Fuck me no, I wasn't talking about the content of what Jontron said, I said in general you should try talking to someone first. In this case it was the debate that happened.

I made a general statement.

But ok whatever. I'm a nazi misogynist racist islamaphobe

You are literally making up things that no one said and tripping over yourself to be some kind of victim instead of just admitting it was a bad idea to come into a thread to spout platitudes before actually reading up on what was going on. The "general statement" was rendered pointless in this case because the debate already happened. You would have known that if you read. Just endeavor to read and understand what's being discussed in the future, and drop the victim complex.

The "good" thing about the internet is, you don't have to go around asking people what they think. People like JT are more than willing to just put their opinions out there. This eliminates a lot of the need to "sit down" with people who hold wildly out-there views and "have a discussion" to find out what they believe. What they believe is already out there. The problem isn't in finding out that people have outrageous beliefs, the problem is in countering the messaging and preventing those ideas from becoming normalized. This is why people are saying debates and "meeting in the middle" aren't the solution and no-platforming is.
Well said.

People defending jontron are 1 in 3 camps.
1. Racist piece of shits
2. Fans of jontron that can't admit that White Genocide might be takings things too far. Also willing to allow racism
3. Very very stupid people that just don't wanna care.

oti

Banned
How in the world is this thread almost 100 page? Are people actually defending the kkktron?

You've got your YouTube generation on the one side ("he didn't mean it, you guys, not like that, I like his videos so I know he's a good person") and your typical idiots on the other side.

We should kill YouTube.

I should've searched before posting my comment

He got banned when the mod came in. And to answer his questions yes Crim is racist. He sided with a man who believes that immigrants "dilute the gene pool" even though his parents are immigrants so clearly his parents diluted that pool going by his dumb logic.

Seriously nothing Jon said made any sense. Literally just click on a random moment on the video and Jon says something dumb or racist.

AndersK

Always the martyrdom, fragile li'l flakes.

I did go in hard, though. I can't see why'd you'd excuse Jon's statements, I just can't.

I'm calling bullshit on this. I currently have family in Japan, and had a parent live their middle-school years in Japan. You're right that there's a Japanese tendency to be cliquey, but basically everything else you're saying is incredibly off-base. Your assumption about the cultural "purity" of Japan is bonkers.

Want good Indian food in Tokyo? Go to Dhaba India Restaurant. Go to Priya Indian Cuisine. Moti is another great one. I've been told Raj Mahal Resturant's sort of shit-hole for the money. There are legit dozens of them.

You don't understand Japanese culture, modern or otherwise, if you don't understand how absorbing western cultural influence is a formitive element, or how the current generation basically defines itself by its cultural divergences from tradition. Your impression sounds like someone who heard in primary school that Japan was historically "isolationist" and extrapolated that over their impression of the country from anime.

I'm guessing that cloukyo has never actually been to Tokyo, because saying they don't have any Indian restaurants is straight up ignorant. There are literally dozens of Indian restaurants in Tokyo.

Tagyhag

Agreeing with racist bigots makes you a racist bigot... who knew?

Yeah I don't get that.

Crim, if you're reading, ask yourself this.

How does agreeing with "People with darker skin color shouldn't be allowed to breed in America, because their genes are objectively worse than the superior white genes" not make you a racist?

Fred-87

First experienced it in my early 20's when I was dating a black girl. Got yelled at by some rando that I was committing genocide of the white race. It's insane.

i was close to a black girl when i was younger. Got called out constantly by two guys. Talking bad about black girls. Laughing and asking me like: haha your not serious are you?

One was Turkish and the other was quite dark skinned but not as much as the girl. Minority themselfes. Really weired.

Mael

Yeah I don't get that.

How does agreeing with "People with darker skin color shouldn't be allowed to breed in America, because their genes are objectively worse than the superior white genes" not make you a racist?

You can only be called racist if in your heart of hearts you are racist. You have to shout your intent that you do racist things because you're racist and have to shoot what you call inferior races at least once a year while shouting that you view the people you're shooting as inferior.
Anything less is just a smear tactic to defame upstanding citizen.

AndersK

Yeah I don't get that.

Yeah, I mean, there's perfectly valid reasons to discuss how to tackle the influx of refugees and how you tackle the localized symptoms of disenfranchisement and lack of opportunity, but it does not involved Jon's...Uh, 'ideas'

R0ckman

Where do these people live that they think poor whites don't resort to crime? I lived in an area close to poor whites (run down trailer parks) and there were clearly problems. Drug use, theft, one time a situation accord where an elderly woman had her purse stolen and the guy attempted to steal her vehicle on top of it, this was in the middle of the day so these guys arent even waiting for nightfall.

Standing up for someone who is embroiled in a controversy due to bigoted statements is an action. Actions have meaning. Rejecting or accepting bigotry is a core value. A person's response to bigotry, whether it is experienced personally or not, is a statement of one's core values.

Alucrid

Banned
And no, Japanese fashion is very different from American fashion. VERY different. Even when it comes to casual clothes, the men and women dress very different in japan, when it comes to actual fashion... you couldn't get away with that in any other country.

haha okay, okay. maybe you could say that on average a japanese person is likely to be better dressed than an american, but to say that they're VERY different is absurd. what's some basic, ubiquitous shit in japan? uniqlo? they sell in the us too. what's actual fashion? japanese designers? yohji, undercover, visvim, white mountaineering, cdg, issey miyake, junya? they're not endemic to japan and i've seen plenty of people wearing "japanese fashion" outside of japan. it's not as if the japanese aren't wearing supreme or rick either. maybe if you're talking about gothic lolita, sure, but how is that representative of japanese fashion at large? and that's not even bringing up the point that a lot of japanese fashion riffs off of americana. buzz rickson's ma-1? a near perfect recreation of an american military jacket. denim? tons of japanese brands making repro jeans. a book like take ivy bringing ivy league to the japanese baby boomers? does japan have some quintessentially japanese things show through in it's fashion in a myriad of ways? sure. is it VERY different? no.

Armaros

Where do these people live that they think poor whites don't resort to crime? I lived in an area close to poor whites (run down trailer parks) and there were clearly problems. Drug use, theft, one time a situation accord where an elderly woman had her purse stolen and the guy attempted to steal her vehicle on top of it, this was in the middle of the day so these guys arent even waiting for nightfall.

The Rhetoric about how Rich Black people commite more crimes then poor whites has even more connotations.

It also basically infers "they only got rich because of crimes they committed that they didn't get caught for".

The Rhetoric about how Rich Black people commite more crimes then poor whites has even more connotations.

It also basically infers "they only got rich because of crimes they committed that they didn't get caught for".

Or otherwise that they get away with committing crimes at higher rates because they're rich, where the poor old average white guy just can't catch a break.

Alucrid

Banned

i think the more dangerous insinuation that stupid ass comment makes is that criminal activity is linked to race

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Jon's been awfully quiet the past two days. I wonder what's going through his head right now.

FunkyMonk

I would ask you to please quote something TB said that you find warrants all the nasty comments about him. Maybe I missed something.

He said death threats aren't sure credible if the target doesn't die - http://blueplz.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/my-reply-to-earnest-petties-critique-of.html?m=1

He said white privilige isn't a thing because there were some well off Indians in his home town - http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sihieb

That's what I could remember off the top of my head, that's without touching on the fact that he helped kickstart the whole gamergate shite by jaqing off and signal boosting their BS, hoe he always tries to adopt a holier than thou middle of the road stance despite often being woefully ignorant of what he's pontificating about.

The guy's an arsehole and I'm constantly amazed at people who still think he's worth listening to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom