• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Journey (PS4) Vinyl soundtrack announced

I-hate-u

This game came out in 2012, and they are still pushing its merchandise hard. Are we getting a new Journey any time soon?

DOWN

Banned
My local shop.

Grab it from amazon, your local shop or Discogs.

Also get Far Cry 4 vinyl set on Invada web-store.

Far Cry 4 even tempted me and I don't like Far Cry or Vinyl.

And Hotline Miami 2

hotlinemiami2vinyl.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

Schryver

Haven't played the game yet but still might get the print (Been buying quite a few lately). I could probably wait though because I don't see it selling out anytime soon.

RoKKeR

Fuck I want to buy this so badly. Might pull the trigger but I've been spending too much money on vinyl recently.

Meier

For the people referencing buying the print, if you don't already participate, we have a very nice thread in the community form related to art prints. Mockingbird has helped organize numerous commissioned pieces as well (ICO, Metal Gear Solid, quite a few Nintendo-themed bits including Animal Crossing, Mario, Zelda, etc.) -- come on over! I posted about this in the thread some hours ago but didn't end up making a separate topic in gaming.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=441170

BraXzy

I haven't even played the game yet (waiting on that PS4 version) but I'm super tempted to pick up that print.

Will buy this but I just know that shipping to the UK is gonna hurt like hell.

... And I'll probably be out of the country when it ships anyway. That sucks.

From the comments:

How do you play these vinyls? Yes, it’s true they do sound better, from what I’ve heard musicians say. But, does this mean we have to have an old timey record player? Who has those? Not many I’d guess.

I just have a new timey record player so I hope this will work with it :/

ChrisD

Oh man that art print. Would love to get one, but then I realize that there's nowhere to put it in this house.

RoKKeR

From the comments:

I just have a new timey record player so I hope this will work with it :/
Umm.... All vinyl is (mostly) the same. If you have a standard record player you should be able to play this vinyl. I can't imagine this record is at some strange RPM so if you have a decent enough record player you should be fine.

amnesiac

this. fucking picture discs. they are nice for people who want to use them as decoration, but they are the worst when it comes to sound quality.

i also think they look really cheesy

nothing worse than a picture disc (except maybe a flexi)

ChrisD

I did not know they were going to port this to ps4.

I am still have not opened my ps3 version...

May as well wait for the PS4 edition, then. There's nothing but positive to gain from the performance bump.

Umm.... All vinyl is (mostly) the same. If you have a standard record player you should be able to play this vinyl. I can't imagine this record is at some strange RPM so if you have a decent enough record player you should be fine.

-------Joke-------->

I know this is somewhat OT, but what happened with the game itself?

IT seems weird they're talking about the soundtrack, but we haven't heard about the PS4 release of this title..

Are you sure? I don't want to get burned on this purchase.

ilium

Picture disc? No thank you. Would've loved to play this as an obscure intro or in-betweener on occasion, but not gonna support that shit. :/
it's also pretty expensive..

Are you sure? I don't want to get burned on this purchase.

your record player will be able to play it, don't worry.

hawk2025

As an owner of multiple picture discs, I genuinely have not noticed a significant, relevant difference in sound quality conditional on it being a good pressing in the first place.

Then again, I only have a low-mid range $100 cartridge, so maybe you folks are way on the upper range?

Harmen

My only concern would be the audio quality of picture discs.... but then, I can't imagine this is something you would play a lot, if at all.

Most picture discs I own are pretty good. And I usually listen to them on my dad's high end audio system. That said, there are some terrible ones out there, but I think that was mostly during the time vinyl was not really popular and only deemed a collector's item.

moerser

As an owner of multiple picture discs, I genuinely have not noticed a significant, relevant difference in sound quality conditional on it being a good pressing in the first place.

Then again, I only have a low-mid range $100 cartridge, so maybe you folks are way on the upper range?

it not only depends on the cartridge, but of course it does make a difference. problem is how those pic discs are manufactured. you essentially take a perfectly good vinyl and put a lot of different chemicals and shit on it. all of which change the sound characteristics and, much worse, essentially ruin your stylus in a relatively short period of time. (this depends on the quality of the vinyl/picture thingy)

moerser

Most picture discs I own are pretty good. And I usually listen to them on my dad's high end audio system. That said, there are some terrible ones out there, but I think that was mostly during the time vinyl was not really popular and only deemed a collector's item.

do you have a normal vinyl version of the same record for comparison? the only way to clearly hear a difference is of course if you could compare them side by side.

Speaking of cheap, the Red Dead vinyl launched at 15 bucks and is worth over 200 now I think.

Yep, I'm kicking myself for not picking that up when it launched. Seems to go for around $300 mint these days. Checking Amazon someone even has it listed at a laughable $900.

Harmen

it not only depends on the cartridge, but of course it does make a difference. problem is how those pic discs are manufactured. you essentially take a perfectly good vinyl and put a lot of different chemicals and shit on it. all of which change the sound characteristics and, much worse, essentially ruin your stylus in a relatively short period of time. (this depends on the quality of the vinyl/picture thingy)

This is not true for most picture discs (nowadays at least). The actual picture is underneath two layers transparent vinyl and not by some chemicals on top of the vinyl. So your stylus won't be ruined by chemicals or something. There is loss of quality though (maybe because the vinyl layers are thinner or the grooves affected by the image underneath?).

do you have a normal vinyl version of the same record for comparison? the only way to clearly hear a difference is of course if you could compare them side by side.

No. But I am pretty sure those would sound better indeed. And there is surface noise (which is mostly apparent in softer types of music and can indeed be distracting). With "great" I meant that it is not the unlistenable garbage some people make it out to be. But there are most certainly picture discs that fit into that category. Maybe I should have phrased it better ;)

I always go black and original if I have the choice.

Top Bottom