• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
gregor7777 said:
Army of Two really did 600k first month?

WTF
Incredible marketing.

Jirotrom

le.phat said:
LBP is going to be huge. it has been sony's posterboy since its unveiling and it has enormeous appeal to that shifty casual demographic wich are leading the industry at the moment. Sony's going to throw everything plus the kitchen sink at this title when it launches, and it will create ripples.
most owners of the ps3 are not the type of people into cutesy games like LBP. LBP looks friggen fantastic but I really doubt it will sell very well at all. If anything it will be the kind of title that has legs rather than a huge first month launch.

tfur

Stumpokapow said:
Top First Month Sales in US, this gen:
1. Halo 3 - 3.3 million
2. SSBB - 2.7 million
3. GTA 4 360 - 1.85 million
4. CoD 4 360 - 1.57 million
5. Galaxy - 1.12 million
6. MK Wii - 1.12 million
7. Gears - 1.0 million
8. GTA IV PS3 - 1.0 million
9. Assassin's Creed 360 - 0.98 million
10. Madden NFL 08 360 - 0.89 million
11. MGS4 - 0.77 million
12. R6 Vegas 2 360 - 0.75 million
13. Wii Fit - 0.68 million
14. Army of Two 360 - 0.60 million
15. Madden NFL 07 360 - 0.57 million

GTA 360 by a substantial amount, followed by Brawl.

From OP:

"While the attached media report does not include units bundled with hardware, if included MGS4 sold-through nearly 1 million units."

gregor7777 said:
he's not, I think it's funny

Oh.. so you think I am funny? maybe you should actually take the time out and understand what I'm saying.. I can educated you and alot of other people on gaf.. i don't need chartz or analyst opinions.. I speak from the heart.. I see treads in local shops and I relate them as realistically as possible

laserbeam

Banned
spwolf said:
what does that mean, only casuals buy new consoles? and i thought MGS4 isnt for casuals :D
Theres alot of belief in here that Little big Planet which is totally awesome is gonna appeal to the Non gamer and sell consoles.

Little Big Planets biggest appeal to the hardcore is self made levels etc. Thats not gonna appeal to Non gamers like Mario does

Arde5643

Sage00 said:
I feel the exact opposite, LBP is a mismatch to PS3's userbase. Sony's marketing will be enough to make it sell decently, but it will be ignored by most at large due to it being a cute platformer and not an action game.

This.

To whoever posted before that this game will work wonders if done on the Wii - another agreement here.

Add the Wiimote to simulate mouse interface for level creation and you have made the process more intuitive as well.

Stumpokapow said:
I appreciate your concern (honestly, and me saying honestly is honest, not sarcastic!) but I don't plan on making their job easier for them. If they want to investigate every number every human being on the internet posts to see if it's publicly available elsewhere or not, they can do so.

nobody likes to make their jobs easy but i don't want to see us lose our quick fix each month because of a simple misunderstanding. if you haven't noticed npd has done a good job of monitoring what's out there so i would think they have people that monitor the web all the time? it's not a big deal. i'm just looking out for us little guys. you did not source them anyway so i couldn't imagine they'd care as long as their numbers don't come close to matching up to what you posted.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Traditionally, ripping off a proven success doesn`t afford you the same level of success.

Im just saying it would very easily show the power the game has with a play style and game that is known
to the large majority of the populace. Not necessarily that people will think "omg I can make a mario level!"

Haunted

BruceLeeRoy said:
I think it would definitely sell more if it was on the Wii but I think its still going to sell a ridiculous amount.
The potential is there, surely.

The game's sales are mostly limited by the console it's on and its demographic (see the numerous Shooterstation 3 quips >_<)

Also, define "a ridiculous amount" - 500k? 1 million? 2? 5?

sykoex said:
So after June's numbers, anyone think Square is having second thoughts on the FFXIII announcement?

hell yeah. even in light of this the thought of more sales must have them questioning their most recent decision.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
starship said:
GTA 360 hasn't even broken 3m mark yet. Brawl is the best selling game this year.

You're right, actually. I'm not sure what the issue with my calculations was. Brawl is up by 500k or so over GTA4 360.

Jirotrom said:
most owners of the ps3 are not the type of people into cutesy games like LBP. LBP looks friggen fantastic but I really doubt it will sell very well at all. If anything it will be the kind of title that has legs rather than a huge first month launch.

I have no doubt in my mind that LBP will be embraced by the Sony fanbase. It`s the extent to which the fanbase can bear that I have issue with.

Haunted

bloody pirate said:
Oh.. so you think I am funny? maybe you should actually take the time out and understand what I'm saying.. I can educated you and alot of other people on gaf.. i don't need chartz or analyst opinions.. I speak from the heart.. I see treads in local shops and I relate them as realistically as possible
27734875.gif

Just stop it and go back wherever you came from.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
spwolf said:
btw, whats PS3 exclusives release schedule?
Hell's breaking loose in Fall.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
laserbeam said:
It will sell well to the PS3 owners but I think people are being foolish if they think it will attract Casuals and sell consoles. Casuals like Wii Sports,Wii Fit,Wii Play and stuff like that. Building your own platformer levels etc are not casual things

Quoted for truth. Granny can't Play B3yond, she wants to flail her arms and hit her grandson in wii boxing.

Haunted One said:
The potential is there, surely.

The game's sales are mostly limited by the console it's on and its demographic (see the numerous Shooterstation 3 quips >_<)

Also, define "a ridiculous amount" - 500k? 1 million? 2? 5?

Ahhh man Haunted if you pin me down on a number its too easy for me to look wrong :lol
I can always spin this regardless of the outcome if I dont have to say a number.
1 million - Gears Numbers

Plus I know a ton of "hardcore" gamers that are absolutely buying it.
Oh and wives love it :D

tfur said:
From OP:

"While the attached media report does not include units bundled with hardware, if included MGS4 sold-through nearly 1 million units."

A million copies of MGS4 have been bought in total for North America thus far....it warms my heart so! ^_^

Sage00 said:
I feel the exact opposite, LBP is a mismatch to PS3's userbase. Sony's marketing will be enough to make it sell decently, but it will be ignored by most at large due to it being a cute platformer and not an action game.

I completely agree. LBP is probably not going to have a huge first month. Maybe it could on the Wii but neither of the HD hardlycore twins can move massive copies of a cutesy game like LBP.

Haunted One said:
You recall incorrectly. MM went to Nintendo to pitch the game but Nintendo declined.

So Sony picked the project up.
They wanted Nintendo to publish it?

Humm. . .too bad they didn't try someone else before going to Sony. (-_-)
I don't think the PS3 is the right system for it.

spwolf

Metalmurphy said:
wow @ PSP. How the hell does that thing keep selling oO.

PS3 was expected, no surprises there.

red psp came out? still... huge boost.... navigation as well? Has to be a lot of things.... God of War PSP? :)

Stumpokapow said:
Sony honestly did a very good job of making this month the month to get a PS3 between the game itself and the hardware and cash incentives.

(It probably also helped that Sony did everything they could to make June the month to buy a PS3 -- the gift card deals, the US MGS4 bundle that is a drastically better deal than the 40gb unit, etc.)

That was my line! :lol

sykoex said:
So after June's numbers, anyone think Square is having second thoughts on the FFXIII announcement?

...no?

matmanx1 said:
Little Big Planet is going to surprise you people. I work on the fringe of "the industry" and the buzz is there.

Oh goodness, the fringes of the industry! Well that settles it.

Look: LBP is a game that's going to be very, very popular with a specific niche audience (the people who enjoy the classic gameplay of 2d platforming and the time-consuming yet incredibly rewarding task of using of level-creation tools.) It'll probably have an amazing online community, produce some really amazing levels, and do surprisingly well for a game of its type. But it's not going to sell anything like MGS4, or push almost any $399 PS3s.

Deku said:
It probably wouldn't sell that well

I don't know about that, unless by "well" we mean as well as GTA4 on both platforms or better. I think a GTA made ground-up for Wii would do alright. :lol

The Guitar Hero games have that mantle now. Just look at the DS sales. I still can't believe it. Activision is going to be a huge Nintendo 3rd party before long.

When they announced it, I said that if your goal was to make the best Guitar Hero you could for the DS, they'd totally hit it out of the park, but why would anyone want a Guitar Hero for the DS?

Whoo-boy, I guess I was wrong about that one: people clearly do want it, and Activision should be commended for doing a good job with it.

(Also, this success should pretty much single-handedly kill any chance of a DS-with-no-GBA-slot.)

Haunted

BruceLeeRoy said:
Ahhh man Haunted if you pin me down on a number its too easy for me to look wrong :lol
I can always spin this regardless of the outcome if I dont have to say a number.
1 million - Gears Numbers
:lol fair enough!

Then let's just say that I think it won't be quite as strong. I say it will do closer to Ratchet numbers (the bigger marketing offsetting it being an unknown brand).

LowParry

It's too bad Sony did lose FF13 as an exclusive. This proves how big of a hardware impact it could of had in the long run. Still, I'm curious to see what kind of boost it will give Japan. Good numbers all around.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
A million copies of MGS4 have been bought in total for North America thus far....it warms my heart so! ^_^

Me too man me too. After seeing the MGS4 documentary I was hoping Kojima would get the payoff him
and his team deserve.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
spwolf said:
btw, whats PS3 exclusives release schedule?

2008:
Disgaea 3 August 26
Buzz Quiz TV September 23
NBA 09 The Inside October 7
SOCOM Confrontation October 14
Singstar PS3 2 October 21
Motorstorm 2 October 28
LBP October 2008
Resistance 2 November 2008

+PSN.

Haunted One said:

Then let's just say that I think it won't be quite as strong. As you said, it all comes down to marketing. :)

Awesome Ill see you in what 3 months? I think.

How do you guys think Motorstorm will do? I think it could be fairly big - 400k about

Buzz Quiz TV September 23 - BUZZ comes out in September! Excellent I have been waiting for this.

bloody pirate said:

amazon too, amirite?

Davidion

Opiate said:
I think that's likely -- I just think a different outcome is possible (as do you, apparently, as you mentoin in the last sentence). Out of curiosity, do you think there is any game -- or set of games -- that can shake the Wii loose, then? Because LBP is, to me, the only game on the horizon with the potential to shake things up. More shooters and racers certainly isn't going to do so, for example.

It's really less about a game than the sum of the experiences that can be had from the system and how varied or attractive that is for the customer. LBP is a fine game, probably the only one that's really making me considering buying a PS3; however, make no mistake that the game is for a platform swimming in a sea of interaction philosophies that's practically diametrically opposite to that of LBP.

Funny that people feel so buoyed by MGS4, conveniently forgetting that it's taking one of the biggest series-ending exclusives the platform may ever see for it to boost the console into a distant second place. I think the most likely route LBP will take, and the ideal one at that, is a "long legs" title. It'll succeed when there are more dynamic titles like itself available on the platform.

Can something different happen? Of course. You don't rule out the possibility in business; there's always the possibility that the overnight sensation is lurking around the corner. However, most of the excitement that I see behind it is driven by the throw-enough-shit-at-a-wall-and-it's-bound-to-stick philosophy that drives the excitement behind every other game that's supposed to be the big giant killer. None of it has a whole lot of sense.

CoG

Black-Wind said:

How's that? The PS3 is really the *only* system pushing quirky, innovative games like LBP, Flower, Fat Princess, Everyday Shooter, PixelJunk Eden, etc.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I think the nicer thing that comes out from these MGS4 numbers is proof that you can have holiday season level numbers in non holiday season periods.

I hope publishers take notice and stop ignoring 10 months out of 12 for their biggest releases.

duk

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
2008:
Disgaea 3 August 26
Motorstorm 2 October 28
LBP October 2008

+PSN.

not a bad list, bolded the ones i want

spwolf

Black-Wind said:

eh, it is only possible system for it now... only system where you can have user generated content in the game actually.

TTP said:
I think the nicer thing that comes out from these MGS4 numbers is proof that you can have holiday season level numbers in non holiday season periods.

I hope publishers take notice and stop ignoring 10 months out of 12 for their biggest releases.

Great point man so true. It was nice to have something so excellent to play this summer.

Haunted One said:

Then let's just say that I think it won't be quite as strong. I say it will do closer to Ratchet numbers (the bigger marketing offsetting it being an unknown brand).

Didn't Ratchet sell something terrible like 75k?

GavinGT

Banned
bloody pirate said:

Please teach me more, oh wise one.

Azrael

Stumpokapow said:
2008:
Disgaea 3 August 26
Motorstorm 2 October 28
LBP October 2008