• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

Snipes424

LBP is a hard one to know what will happen about pushing systems... I think when it launches it will br very successful with current PS3 owners and once word gets around how amazing it is I think it might be a sleeper hardware seller for the PS3. Just my speculation

But congrats Sony on a good month. Keep it up.

pieyow

SailorDaravon said:
Am I the only one thinks that the fact that MGS4 only pushed an additional 200k units over last month isn't that good? Remember, this was the game that everyone said would be the game they got a PS3 for, etc. I would have guessed at least 500k.

Also damn, GTA must have dropped a fucking ton.

I agree with you 200k is a nice boost but unless it holds it's not changing the landscape of the console wars (at least not in North America). Not to be a downer, but Sony needs a good million units to really make this a battle again in the US.

Frillen

They only way LBP will sell well is if Sony bundles it with the PS3 like they did with Ratchet and Uncharted and what MS did with Forza 2 and Viva Pinata. That's the only way.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
gregor7777 said:
Good point. :lol
1212766679056.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BatmanX said:
Ehi Sony take the note, great exclusives are needed to sell consoles

... and excellent value bundles and gift cards and advertising, yes. :)

Sony honestly did a very good job of making this month the month to get a PS3 between the game itself and the hardware and cash incentives.

Opiate said:
I think LBP is effectively the last chance any system has to significantly disturb the Wii in the west. I think it's unlikely to do so (it's very late in the generation for significant shifts in image) but it's possible.

I don't think LBP is the kind of game to disrupt Wii at all. If anything does it, it'll be something really crazy, and even crappier in a gamer perspective. Imagine if there's some super hot TV show or movie in the next year or two, and MS or Sony tie up and exclusive and spend $200 million advertising the thing. Obviously there is very little tie between quality game and sales.

Stumpokapow said:
Top First Month Sales in US, this gen:
1. Halo 3 - 3.3 million
2. SSBB - 2.7 million
3. GTA 4 360 - 1.85 million
4. CoD 4 360 - 1.57 million
5. Galaxy - 1.12 million
6. MK Wii - 1.12 million
7. Gears - 1.0 million
8. GTA IV PS3 - 1.0 million
9. Assassin's Creed 360 - 0.98 million
10. Madden NFL 08 360 - 0.89 million
11. MGS4 - 0.77 million
12. R6 Vegas 2 360 - 0.75 million
13. Wii Fit - 0.68 million
14. Army of Two 360 - 0.60 million
15. Madden NFL 07 360 - 0.57 million

GTA 360 by a substantial amount, followed by Brawl.

if this is npd's you had better pull this before npd sees it. they don't allow this to be published. if these are npd's and if you are a client you should know this (and you are jeopardizing your company's account).

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Opiate said:
I think LBP is effectively the last chance any system has to significantly disturb the Wii in the west. I think it's unlikely to do so (it's very late in the generation for significant shifts in image) but it's possible.

Little Big Planet is too smart for the average consumer. If building things were the rage, we'd see a Trackmania on consoles because it would make too much sense money wise. LBP could very well be called Platform maker just like the RPG ones.

Haunted

Opiate said:
LBP? No way.

Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy will do much more for the PS3, imo.... which is still not enough to even dent the Wii. That train's long gone.

dialmydrive said:
if this is npd's you had better pull this before npd sees it. they don't allow this to be published. if these are npd's and if you are a client you should know this (and you are jeopardizing your company's account).
?

These numbers can be found in the OP's of the monthly NPD threads right on GAF. Freely available data.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Frillen said:
:lol Sony fans NEEDS to stop dreaming about LBP selling extremely well. It won't. It doesn't fit the PS3 crowd at all, which buy games like MGS4, Uncharted, CoD4, Assassin's Creed, GTAIV etc. They all have one thing in common. You kill people.

And no, Too Human is NOT a system seller either :lol :lol :lol

Casual gamers cant even get passed the gamepads to be interested in a game like LBP, it would do better on the wii, really.

test_account

XP-39C²
Frillen said:
:lol Sony fans NEEDS to stop dreaming about LBP selling extremely well. It won't. It doesn't fit the PS3 crowd at all, which buy games like MGS4, Uncharted, CoD4, Assassin's Creed, GTAIV etc. They all have one thing in common. You kill people.

And no, Too Human is NOT a system seller either :lol :lol :lol
Why do they need to stop dreaming about it? LBP is a total wild card in my opinion, it can sell very well, it can sell ok or it can sell very bad. A simular game like this hasnt been released on the PS3 before (the i'm thiking of games that are on Bluray discs, atleast after my experience. There might be some game that you can buy from the Playstation Store that are maybe alittle bit simular to Little Big Planet, atleast a bit simular game that could reach the same potential people that Little Big Planet maybe can reach, atleast i would guess so, but i am not sure, sorry :() so i would say its impossible to say now how well LBP will sell.

Davidion

Opiate said:

Not so. LBP is, at the end of the day, a very accessible game on a not-so-accessible platform. One game does not a category make.

Will it be a good addition to th overall PS3 line up and add diversity? Absolutely. Will it be a sales blockbuster? I'm not seeing that happening unless Sony busts some cosmic balls on advertising and press coverage EXCLUSIVELY for the game. That doesn't mean it will bomb completely, but I see flagging sales unless something blows before release to change my mind.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dialmydrive said:

better pull what? public, freely available top ten data? boo hoo!

matmanx1

Little Big Planet is going to surprise you people. I work on the fringe of "the industry" and the buzz is there. All my gamer friends are talking about it, even the ones who dont own a PS3. It wont sell as many as MGS4 in it's first month because it wont be bundled but the numbers it puts up are going to be very, very respectable and I expect it to be a game that has legs.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Stumpokapow said:
I think it's fair to say that Europe is closer to the US than Japan, so I'd say around 2.75 million.

Like I said in the first page and the other thread, it sold EXACTLY what NG1 on XBX sold.

Well damn hopefully both games can keep on going for a while longer.

Frillen said:
They only way LBP will sell well is if Sony bundles it with the PS3 like they did with Ratchet and Uncharted and what like MS did with Forz2 and Viva Pinata. That's the only way.

Define your terms.. what is 'sell well' and what is 'bomb big time'.

Defuser

bloody pirate said:
Can I have my own opinion without being bashed? damn... let be realistic for a moment.. if Viva bombed and it was a casual game.. LBP will bomb too.. im just comparing apples to apples here
Or maybe because Viva didn't have the hype that LBP have?

Opiate

Agent Icebeezy said:
Little Big Planet is too smart for the average consumer. If building things were the rage, we'd see a Trackmania on consoles because it would make too much sense money wise. LBP could very well be called Platform maker just like the RPG ones.

How about the Sims?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
So after June's numbers, anyone think Square is having second thoughts on the FFXIII announcement?

Snipes424

Davidion said:
Not so. LBP is, at the end of the day, a very accessible game on a not-so-accessible platform. One game does not a category make.

Will it be a good addition to th overall PS3 line up and add diversity? Absolutely. Will it be a sales blockbuster? I'm not seeing that happening unless Sony busts some cosmic balls on advertising and press coverage EXCLUSIVELY for the game.

I am pretty sure that I read that Sony was going to dump a lot of money on advertisement for LBP, but I could of misread.

Loudninja

matmanx1 said:
Little Big Planet is going to surprise you people. I work on the fringe of "the industry" and the buzz is there. All my gamer friends are talking about it, even the ones who dont own a PS3. It wont sell as many as MGS4 in it's first month because it wont be bundled but the numbers it puts up are going to be very, very respectable and I expect it to be a game that has legs.

I bet they will offer a LBP theme bundle.

Evlar

Banned
dialmydrive said:
Isn't that just a compilation of what we know from previous (NPD-sanctioned) monthly top tens? I don't see how that's a violation since it's all sourced to public information.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
PSGames said:
those are first mont 360 sales.
I had no idea DMC4 360 bombed that hard in the US... I thought it sold great overall?

FrankT

YTD
Wii - 3,482,000
DS - 3,187,000
PS3 - 1,608,000
PSP - 1,482,000
360 - 1,354,000

donny2112 said:
WII - 10.9 million
360 - 10.5 million
PS3 - 4.9 million

Actually the PS3 has done ~254K on the 360 YTD with the biggest gun out. I thought it was actually closer to ~300k, but my math was off. 360 leading LTD at 5.6 million.

Opiate

Davidion said:

Will it be a good addition to th overall PS3 line up and add diversity? Absolutely. Will it be a sales blockbuster? I'm not seeing that happening unless Sony busts some cosmic balls on advertising and press coverage EXCLUSIVELY for the game. That doesn't mean it will bomb completely, but I see flagging sales unless something blows before release to change my mind.

I think that's likely -- I just think a different outcome is possible (as do you, apparently, as you mentoin in the last sentence). Out of curiosity, do you think there is any game -- or set of games -- that can shake the Wii loose, then? Because LBP is, to me, the only game on the horizon with the potential to shake things up. More shooters and racers certainly isn't going to do so, for example.

JB1981

Great to see MGS 4 prove the doubters wrong.

I don't foresee the PS3 getting another boost like this well, maybe ever in its lifetime for any other game.

anyway, good to see the userbase energized about a game for once.

Stumpokapow said:
better pull what? public, freely available top ten data? boo hoo!

i'm just saying. if npd sees it they will become angry because you don't explain how you got it. just trying to save you from a headache. edit your original post to explain how you compiled those numbers and i'm sure they won't complain.

AniHawk

sykoex said:
So after June's numbers, anyone think Square is having second thoughts on the FFXIII announcement?

"Well I guess we could continue to ignore a userbase of 30 million for a userbase of 13 million after all!"

Snipes424

Loudninja said:
I bet they will offer a LBP theme bundle.

I think LPB would be a PERFECT bundle with the PS3. It's a family friendly game that the hardcore and casual will both enjoy.

And Sackboys are FTW

Wallach

charlequin said:

Indeed, I saw the JP reaction to MGS4, but I didn't think it would play out that similarly here with the 360 actually being in play alongside the Wii. I guess it really didn't change things in the end.

As for the DS, sure, we see it destroy month after month on both sides of the water... but at some point you'd think it would at least take a breather or something. Though, I figure the second Nintendo sees that actually happen it'll hit the $99 point and it'll be back to business as usual.

le.phat

sykoex said:

nope im sure they'll regret selling their flagship title on 2 platforms instead of one.
the reasoning on you people :lol

Defuser said:
Or maybe because Viva didn't have the hype that LBP have?
Seriously? MS marketed that thing to the moon. Unless Sony's going to go to bat with happy meal toys and a cartoon, Viva was hyped well beyond what LBP will be.

Or do you mean hype like "Internet thinks it can do no wrong" hype? Because that's stupid.

LCfiner

bloody pirate said:
Actually you should see a major shift in hardware in july.. this new price drop is causing a buzz.. expect to see a spike next month of about 500k range.. the price drop took forever BUT MS will see alot of benefits from it.. it was long over due

I understand and agree that they'll get a one month bump (or however long till they sell out their old 20 GB models) but it won't last as long as the base price is 350. That was my point.

Didn't you recently say that the 360 would outsell the PS3 this month? yeah, not so much.

No ban bet? ;)

duk

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Actually the PS3 has done ~254K on the 360 YTD with the biggest gun out. I thought it was actually closer to ~300k, but my math was off. 360 leading LTD at 5.6 million.

360 could be leading by much more than that, but both MS and Sony are concerned with profit over quantity this gen

Deku

Banned
laserbeam said:
GTA4 totally vanishing basically shows that The Hardcore arent the people who made the franchise successful. Bet Rockstar wishes it had a Wii version of GTA4 now

It probably wouldn't sell that well and if they retooled a GTA for the Wii, people would be throwing all sorts of shitfits and argue over design details accusing it of being too casual.

That said, GTAIV dropping off a cliff saleswise wasn't unexpected Totally not the same situation as the breakout successes on the PS2. The Guitar Hero games have that mantle now. Just look at the DS sales. I still can't believe it. Activision is going to be a huge Nintendo 3rd party before long.

PSGames

Seiken said:
I had no idea DMC4 360 bombed that hard in the US... I thought it sold great overall?

It hit around 500k if you count the PS3 version. Far from a bomb. I think it hit 1.5+ million overall worldwide.

stewacide said:
Sadly yes.

On the Wii, particularly with Nintendo publishing, it would have been the megahit of the year: MM made a bad decision teaming with Sony (IIRC they were courted by Nintendo as well)

Nah, I think you're wrong. It will sell well on the PS3.

Top Bottom