• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
PSGames said:
It hit around 500k if you count the PS3 version. Far from a bomb. I think it hit 1.5+ million overall worldwide.
Ah fair enough. Thanks for the info.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dialmydrive said:
i'm just saying. if npd sees it they will become angry because you don't explain how you got it. just trying to save you from a headache. edit your original post to explain how you compiled those numbers and i'm sure they won't complain.

I appreciate your concern (honestly, and me saying honestly is honest, not sarcastic!) but I don't plan on making their job easier for them. If they want to investigate every number every human being on the internet posts to see if it's publicly available elsewhere or not, they can do so.

le.phat

LBP is going to be huge. it has been sony's posterboy since its unveiling and it has enormeous appeal to that shifty casual demographic wich are leading the industry at the moment. Sony's going to throw everything plus the kitchen sink at this title when it launches, and it will create ripples.

Defuser said:
Or maybe because Viva didn't have the hype that LBP have?

GAF hype does not = real world hype...

example.. I was in the barbershop getting my hair cut.. And Viva was brought up before its release.. generally over all including my barber.. people were excited about the game... its just a very relaxing new experience.. sadly it did not sell what i was hoping.. a lot of my friends bought it... but they already had 360's

Evlar

Banned
Deku said:
It probably wouldn't sell that well and if they retooled a GTA for the Wii, people would be throwing all sorts of shitfits and argue over design details accusing it of being too casual.

That said, GTAIV dropping off a cliff saleswise wasn't unexpected but was totally predictable. There just arent that many people who wants to buy it after the fans get a crack at it. Totally not the same situation as the breakout successes on the PS2. The Guitar Hero games have that mantle now. Just look at the DS sales. I still can't believe it. Activision is going to be a huge Nintendo 3rd party before long.
Yeah... I'm very surprised. My very limited channel checks made me believe it wasn't moving much.

test_account

XP-39C²
Agent Icebeezy said:
Little Big Planet is too smart for the average consumer. If building things were the rage, we'd see a Trackmania on consoles because it would make too much sense money wise. LBP could very well be called Platform maker just like the RPG ones.
You dont have to build a single level yourself in LBP if you dont want to :) There is a capaign mode with somewhat 50 (i think atleast) levels that are already made. If you get tired with those levels or if you want more levels you can then download other people's user created levels :)

Agent Icebeezy said:
Women already have computers
Correct me if i am wrong please, but are you saying here that women are the only ones who enjoy building things in game? Or i'm i missunderstand what you said here?

Loudninja

bloody pirate said:
GAF hype does not = real world hype...

example.. I was in the barbershop getting my hair cut.. And Viva was brought up before its release.. generally over all including my barber.. people were excited about the game... its just a very relaxing new experience.. sadly it did not sell what i was hoping.. a lot of my friends bought it... but they already had 360's

GAF hype? oh no its much bigger than GAF hype.

Haunted

stewacide said:
Sadly yes.

On the Wii, particularly with Nintendo publishing, it would have been the megahit of the year: MM made a bad decision teaming with Sony (IIRC they were courted by Nintendo as well)
You recall incorrectly. MM went to Nintendo to pitch the game but Nintendo declined.

So Sony picked the project up.

spwolf said:
bam!

it will be interesting when all those exclusives start hitting PS3...
Yeah! All these third party exclusives! It's gonna be a constant barrage.

Clinton514

Agent Icebeezy said:
Little Big Planet is too smart for the average consumer. If building things were the rage, we'd see a Trackmania on consoles because it would make too much sense money wise. LBP could very well be called Platform maker just like the RPG ones.
While I agree the level creation may be too smart, the game ships with 60 dev created levels so no one is actually forced to create anything out of bordom(unless they straight up hate the game).

That being said, I want LBP but I don't think it's going to push console sales THAT much.

Azrael

Agent Icebeezy said:

RPG Maker didn't have compelling content out of the box, was far more complicated to create content for than LBP, didn't have the infrastructure in place for sharing content online on consoles, didn't have a major publisher and large marketing campaign behind it, and didn't have a character like Sackboy to market the product.

You people are seriously underestimating LBP.
If marketed correctly this game has the ability to hit Nintendo / Mario level sales.
It SCREAMS Mass Market - Sack boy, The adorable hand waving, The youtube esque interface...Man I
think you guys are discounting a massive game.

LBP will be great for through sales, and by that I mean it will be a game that sells well to the existing base.

LBP will sell within the existing base well, but it ain`t pushing people to the PS3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Stumpokapow said:
... what third-party exclusives are left for 2008-2009? I guess Tekken 6?
The greatest one, actually. Tekken 6.

EDIT: What the fuck, that edit :lol

sykoex said:
So after June's numbers, anyone think Square is having second thoughts on the FFXIII announcement?

Square isn't having second thoughts, but I'm sure Sony is mad at themselves for not throwing more money at SE to keep it exclusive.

Xisiqomelir

sykoex said:
So after June's numbers, anyone think Square is having second thoughts on the FFXIII announcement?

Wada is Iwata-like in his bottom-line fixation, plus I bet their incentive package was more than generous. Sony would have to start putting up Wii-like numbers for a year in all regions to make S-E start second-guessing their decision to go multi.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Stumpokapow said:
Top First Month Sales in US, this gen:
1. Halo 3 - 3.3 million
2. SSBB - 2.7 million
3. GTA 4 360 - 1.85 million
4. CoD 4 360 - 1.57 million
5. Galaxy - 1.12 million
6. MK Wii - 1.12 million
7. Gears - 1.0 million
8. GTA IV PS3 - 1.0 million
9. Assassin's Creed 360 - 0.98 million
10. Madden NFL 08 360 - 0.89 million
11. MGS4 - 0.77 million
12. R6 Vegas 2 360 - 0.75 million
13. Wii Fit - 0.68 million
14. Army of Two 360 - 0.60 million
15. Madden NFL 07 360 - 0.57 million

GTA 360 by a substantial amount, followed by Brawl.
GTA 360 hasn't even broken 3m mark yet. Brawl is the best selling game this year.

Haunted

Kestastrophe said:
BUY MGS4!!11!!1 RAWR
You're not Kittonwy + double check that avatar size of yours.

BruceLeeRoy said:
If marketed correctly this game has the ability to hit Nintendo / Mario level sales.
It SCREAMS Mass Market - Sack boy, The adorable hand waving, The youtube esque interface...Man I
I think it's an amazing game on the wrong platform to really have a breakthrough.

All they have to do is show someone make a LBP level exactly like Super Mario Bro's 3 and the game
will sell a fu@#$ton.

Haunted One said:
You're not Kittonwy + double check that avatar size of yours.
I think it's an amazing game on the wrong platform to really have a breakthrough.

I think it would definitely sell more if it was on the Wii but I think its still going to sell a ridiculous amount.

Frillen

le.phat said:
LBP is going to be huge. it has been sony's posterboy since its unveiling and it has enormeous appeal to that shifty casual demographic wich are leading the industry at the moment. Sony's going to throw everything plus the kitchen sink at this title when it launches, and it will create ripples.

Yeah, it's going to be the next Pokemon!

:lol :lol :lol

FtsH

matmanx1 said:
Little Big Planet is going to surprise you people. I work on the fringe of "the industry" and the buzz is there. All my gamer friends are talking about it, even the ones who dont own a PS3. It wont sell as many as MGS4 in it's first month because it wont be bundled but the numbers it puts up are going to be very, very respectable and I expect it to be a game that has legs.

So if you get any chance, tell Sony DO sell a LBP bundle please. :D

Evlar

Banned
I think people are going to be more receptive to PS3 exclusives in general this year than they were last when making the decision to buy a console, because of Blu-Ray. It's "buy it for MGS4, keep it for HD movies".

But I don't think LBP is one of the games to pin your hopes on as a system seller. (I'm very optimistic it'll be fantastic as a game).

laserbeam

Banned
theredfoxisquick said:
Nah, I think you're wrong. It will sell well on the PS3.
It will sell well to the PS3 owners but I think people are being foolish if they think it will attract Casuals and sell consoles. Casuals like Wii Sports,Wii Fit,Wii Play and stuff like that. Building your own platformer levels etc are not casual things

Sage00

Once And Future Member
BruceLeeRoy said:
I feel the exact opposite, LBP is a mismatch to PS3's userbase. Sony's marketing will be enough to make it sell decently, but it will be ignored by most at large due to it being a cute platformer and not an action game.

BruceLeeRoy said:
All they have to do is show someone make a LBP level exactly like Super Mario Bro's 3 and the game
will sell a fu@#$ton.

Traditionally, ripping off a proven success doesn`t afford you the same level of success.

Yoshichan

Oh yeah, FFXIII Versus is still exclusive. So is White Knight Story, Yakuza 3 and Kenzan. And Valkyrie of the Battlefield!

The Hermit

Seiken said:
1212766679056.jpg

:lol :lol

Take that to everyone who said Sony is screwed...

Stumpokapow said:
Top First Month Sales in US, this gen:
1. Halo 3 - 3.3 million
2. SSBB - 2.7 million
3. GTA 4 360 - 1.85 million
4. CoD 4 360 - 1.57 million
5. Galaxy - 1.12 million
6. MK Wii - 1.12 million
7. Gears - 1.0 million
8. GTA IV PS3 - 1.0 million
9. Assassin's Creed 360 - 0.98 million
10. Madden NFL 08 360 - 0.89 million
11. MGS4 - 0.77 million
12. R6 Vegas 2 360 - 0.75 million
13. Wii Fit - 0.68 million
14. Army of Two 360 - 0.60 million
15. Madden NFL 07 360 - 0.57 million

Army of Two really did 600k first month?

WTF

Sage00 said:
I feel the exact opposite, LBP is a mismatch to PS3's userbase. Sony's marketing will be enough to make it sell decently, but it will be ignored by most at large due to it being a cute platformer and not an action game.

I honestly feel its all in how it is marketed. If sony does it right everyone will be excited about the game -
plus it will give husbands the perfect excuse to pick a ps3 up if they haven't been able to yet. It is going
to be a massive game if Sony can attract the little kids.

Yagharek

BruceLeeRoy said:

This.

It's the potential the game clearly has. LBP isnt just another game, it is a game that has every chance of being something special assuming it is marketed correctly and persistently. Sackboy is just too cute not to appeal to the same demographic buying Wii as their first console.

Props to Sony for recognising it as a good concept. MM have really got something special on their hands.

spwolf

laserbeam said:
It will sell well to the PS3 owners but I think people are being foolish if they think it will attract Casuals and sell consoles. Casuals like Wii Sports,Wii Fit,Wii Play and stuff like that. Building your own platformer levels etc are not casual things

what does that mean, only casuals buy new consoles? and i thought MGS4 isnt for casuals :D

Syntek

le.phat said:

I doubt the same shitty casual demographic has sufficient gaming proficiency to "get" a game like LBP.

Top Bottom