• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

Soule

kottila said:
Not in the first month and it hasn't caught up to the 360 or PS2 version yet.
Are you sure? I remember reading (or perhaps hearing) somewhere that the Wii GH3 version is the best selling one. You're right tho, it definitely debuted behind several other platforms.

ziran

Amazing DS performance! And impressive for GH.

The PS3 numbers, while a healthy boost, still suggest it's unlikely to catch up to 360 in NA, imo. 360's lead is too big and there aren't enough HD exclusives left to maintain the increase in sales we've seen this month.

LBP seems to be the big hope but I think Sony has once again miscalculated. While successful within the hardcore, it isn't going to be a mass market darling in all probability. 2D platformers aren't mainstream popular these days beyond Mario (and maybe Sonic), and the main theme of creation is too hardcore orientated, and, I can't see it resonating with the typical, current PS3 owner. These people are buying the big budget, cinematic epics on the system, so a new 2D platformer/level editor with cute graphics is likely to go unnoticed.

This also highlights PS3's biggest problem. It's positioned itself in the market where the titles that sell well, and push hardware, cost a ridiculous amount of money to create, and even then you can underachieve or fail. These games take too long to make, creating far too sporadic a release schedule to be of any real benefit to the system's overall market position.

As for 360, as soon as MS revealed how it was going to approach the system it was obvious it was going be another Xbox type seller. Following the same strategy was foolish if they wanted to capture a bigger, broader market. It's sales, and sense of levelling off, aren't surprising.

In terms of the overall home console market, it's Wii all the way. Its hw is still selling incredibly well, especially given its releases this month.

ps3 will continue to gain momentum while 360 will continue to get slammed unless msft fixes issues with its hardware. sorry but having to wait 3-5 weeks for a repaired 360 erodes consumer loyalty and having to go through it multiple times all but destroys it. wii will continue to sell well in the u.s. throughout the remainder of the year but if what's happening in japan is any indication, wii will begin feeling the pinch in early 2009 [360 is a dead platform in japan and wii sales are miserable]. i am no ps3 fan but sony is poised for massive growth moving forward.

dialmydrive said:
ps3 will continue to gain momentum while 360 will continue to get slammed unless msft fixes issues with its hardware. sorry but having to wait 3-5 weeks for a repaired 360 erodes consumer loyalty and having to go through it multiple times all but destroys it. wii will continue to sell well in the u.s. throughout the remainder of the year but if what's happening in japan is any indication, wii will begin feeling the pinch in early 2009 [360 is a dead platform in japan and wii sales are miserable]. i am no ps3 fan but sony is poised for massive growth moving forward.

:lol ......

:lol :lol :lol ....

seriously, is there some auto-posting program out there for GAF? I must see it. Please someone show me.

TheKingsCrown said:
:lol ......

:lol :lol :lol ....

seriously, is there some auto-posting program out there for GAF? I must see it. Please someone show me.

you are a laugh riot. i always get a kick out of you fanboys.
edit: wii market share is not growing in japan <fact>; 360 sales in japan are all but non-existent <fact>

Because I'm bored... here's the first 6 months of this year vs the first six months of last (sorry, no charts - I'm not that bored!):

Code:
Wii: +1.37m (65% increase)
PS3: +0.85m (111% increase)
PSP: +0.22m (18% increase)
NDS: +0.50m (19% increase)
360: +0.09m (8% increase)
PS2: -0.25m (16% decrease)

He's right about one thing, though.

PS3 will make a PSP styled comeback in Japan when the conditions are right; i.e., new console hardware revision (smaller), price cut, and the release of more Japanese centric software like Final Fantasy XIII.

ziran

dialmydrive said:
PS3 is posied to drop below 100K per month again.

Not exactly a positive prediction once you, you know, actually use the factual data ;)

Barrett2

- Does anyone have the 11-20 software #s?

- Congrats to Ninja Gaiden 2, very solid

- Nintendo is unstoppable; I love my DS, the Wii makes me sick

- Wow at GTA4 dropping off the list! The speed at which gamers churn through new software is amazing. It really is like the movie theatre business; you sell what you can in one month and then you are gone.

- Good #s for MGS4, the series has really been revitalized in terms of broad appeal; these numbers are fantastic compared to MGS3

ziran said:
PS3 is posied to drop below 100K per month again.

Not exactly a positive prediction once you, you know, actually use the factual data ;)

mark my words. let's wait to see where we are in 3 months then we can discuss who is more in-line with accurately trending factual data.

dialmydrive said:
edit: wii market share is not growing in japan <fact>; 360 sales in japan are all but non-existent <fact>
The Wii has a market share of 70%, what do you expect? 90%?

AniHawk

ziran said:
PS3 is posied to drop below 60k per month again.

Fixed. No, seriously. Fixed. For the PS3 to ever be near 100k a month (4.33 weeks/month for 12 months), they'd have to sell 23k a week. And currently it's doing a little more than half that.

dialmydrive said:
edit: wii market share is not growing in japan <fact>

Not among all systems, but among the three current gen systems, it is. See, when something sells more than two other somethings, its market share grows. This has been happening since launch outside of a few weeks.

Bizzyb said:
Mario Kart selling only 300k and being sold out EVERYWHERE is the real story.

Total FAILURE on Nintendo's part.

It's a plan to make people buy more Wii Play.

schuelma said:
It's been a decent system seller for ONE month. Let's see if it can actually cause a permanent bump. You know, the thing that didn't happen in Japan.

Schuelma: always so spiny in his sentences. Well said.

Captain Smoker said:
GTA IV [360]: 276.000 [2.997.300]
GTA IV [PS3]: 156.000 [1.598.900]

Captain Smoker said:
The Wii has a market share of 70%, what do you expect? 90%?

look at wii growth in japan month over month since launch. do you honestly think wii can sustain its share when sales have been down <or if you prefer the glass-half-full approach, flat> over the past 6 months?

Neomoto

dialmydrive said:
look at wii growth in japan month over month since launch. do you honestly think wii can sustain its share when sales have been down <or if you prefer the glass-half-full approach, flat> over the past 6 months?
Do you not get the basic concept of when something OUTSELLS it's competition multiple times over every week, it is increasing it's market share?

Vagabundo

dialmydrive said:
mark my words. let's wait to see where we are in 3 months then we can discuss who is more in-line with accurately trending factual data.

Your trending out of your ass, my friend.

Revisit your figures.

dialmydrive said:

It is still selling more than it's competition, its market share is still growing, just at a slower rate.

Culex

Banned
dialmydrive said:

Of course it can. PS3 sales are back into the regular abyss of ~10k a week in Japan, and I predict we'll see a similar trend in the US after the MGS4 bump.

Just accept that the Japanese have pulled their arms around the Wii as the console of their choice.

dialmydrive said:
I don´t know, I can´t look into the future, just like you.

Anyway, the Wii is the dominating platform in Japan and sells great and the market share is very high [PS2 market share = 76% in Japan, Wii market share at the moment = 70%].

RagnarokX said:
2py4xlv.gif

:p

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol This was the best one.

like i said, let's revisit this in a few short months. i will be more than happy to serve the crow you'll be eating on a nice, warm platter.

Sharp

MGS4 success is nice but most importantly YES AEROSMITH BOMBA. I predicted that shit Activision, now if only the game cost you more than $5 to make so you would see these results and realize you can't just shit out new GH spinoffs constantly--wait what is this shit, GH:On Tour sold how much? Damn kids.

dialmydrive said:
like i said, let's revisit this in a few short months. i will be more than happy to serve the crow you'll be eating on a nice, warm platter.
What games will the PS3 have in the next few short months that will make the Japanese buy the system in droves?

carlos

not that I'm cheering for GH aerosmith, but it came out on the 29th or 30th, if I remember correctly, not alongside On Tour.

So yeah, a couple of days sales didnt chart...

dialmydrive said:
edit: wii market share is not growing in japan <fact>
Flat marketshare is the definition of miserable sales? Though it has fluctuated, did you know that PS2's share of the total PS2/GCN market in Japan is the same now as it was 5 years ago? What's important is that it was high in the first place, and remained high.

20080718miserableps2.png

ziran

dialmydrive said:
But you were talking in the present tense, now you're backpeddling...

You said, and I quote:
...if what's happening in japan is any indication...
What you should've said was:
...if what's going to happen in Japan is any indication...
If you had, you may have realised how silly it sounds, and changed it to:
...if what I think is going to happen in Japan is any indication...
Just something to work on for next time.

Anihawk said:
Fixed. No, seriously. Fixed. For the PS3 to ever be near 100k a month (4.33 weeks/month for 12 months), they'd have to sell 23k a week. And currently it's doing a little more than half that.
You're right, but I was trying to be gentle. He seems like the delicate sort.

Sharp

carlos said:
not that I'm cheering for GH aerosmith, but it came out on the 29th or 30th, if I remember correctly, not alongside On Tour.

So yeah, a couple of days sales didnt chart...
Oh. So it's even worse than I thought then. And probably the only reason it didn't chart was because it came out for so many platforms anyway :(

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
dialmydrive said:
Why wait? You can eat fresh crow now and get it over with.

RJT

dialmydrive said:
Care to show us the factual data you're basing your analysis on? I would really like to witness your thought process. Thanks

Vagabundo

Come on dialmydrive put it out there, your being to vague. There are a few of the Sales-Age heavy weight champions on right now for you to take out.

At stake:

WORLD SALES-AGE CHAMPIONSHIP BELT!!!...

botticus

Soule said:
Are you sure? I remember reading (or perhaps hearing) somewhere that the Wii GH3 version is the best selling one. You're right tho, it definitely debuted behind several other platforms.
I believe Reggie said that at the conference. But he may have been referring to current sales (where it is/was still charting ahead of any other versions).

RJT said:
Care to show us the factual data you're basing your analysis on? I would really like to witness your thought process. Thanks

i am basing it on the discussions i had with a couple of analysts at e3. both are based out of tokyo and both showed research from the manufacturers themselves as well as from famitsu and media create. both believe nintendo is beginning to experience lethargy in japan while sony's ps3 and psp continue to steal share.

RJT

dialmydrive said:
i am basing it on the discussions i had with a couple of analysts at e3. both are based out of tokyo and both showed research from the manufacturers themselves as well as from famitsu and media create. both believe nintendo is beginning to experience lethargy in japan while sony's ps3 and psp continue to steal share.
but Nintendo is not losing market share:

Awesome Poster said:

You can barely notice the MGS4 bump, let alone any lethargy experienced by Nintendo...

betterman

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Sales prior to MGS4 were not mediocre. ~250k for a $400 console is not mediocre.

Last May the Xbox 360 sold 155k. Yeah. 155k. That's probably mediocre. Last May the PS3 at 81k was abysmal.

210-250k is SOLID for this time of year and the price of the system. In fact, both the PS3 and Xbox 360 are way up over last year.

hey man NPD was 5 weeks...

XB360 still mediocre...

duhlines.jpg

Never forget.

TheSimExchange said:
Neither Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) nor Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3) made the Top 10 this month and so we will need to get the data from NPD manually. There may be some delay due to E3.

Might take some time, but if GTA4360 had sold 276,000 it would have made the top 10.

dialmydrive said:
My god. Has drinky crow been resurrected into some evil, irrational version of Cheesemeister?

Won

dialmydrive said:

I think GAF knows these guys....closing the gap and all that, right?

"I lol at your interpretation of NDP sales data"

"I lol that you lol at my iterpretation of NDP sales data"

"I lol that you're loling at my lol of your interpretation of NDP sales data"

IT'S ALL JUST SO FUCKING HILARIOUS!!! :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
dialmydrive said:

No one doubts that PSP is "stealing marketshare" (given that the DS is selling as well as the PS2 was at its peak and is also the best-selling console or portable in Japanese history, that's hardly a knock against the DS).

People doubt that the PS3 is stealing marketshare, because it's not.

JPNConsoles-28.png

(donny2112's graph)
The PS3 has outsold the Wii 3 weeks out of around 85. The Wii year to date sales are triple the PS3 despite trending below last year's. The MGS4 bump is over and the "baseline" hardware sales remain unchanged. The Wii is also substantially ahead of the PS2 at this point in its lifespan.

Or to use JoshuaJSlone's data: After 84 weeks, Wii is where PS2 was at 96.0 weeks. After 87 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 19.7 week. Weekly shares of 23.0 / 77.0 bring total shares to 25.7 / 74.3. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 335.7 weeks (December 19, 2014).

You'll note that the Wii's weekly share this week in Japan was higher than its lifetime share, implying that it gained marketshare this week versus the PS3. It's about 4% shy marketshare-wise of what the PS2 was while it was in active competition with the GCN and XBX, both of which I think we can agree are pretty pitiful competitors.

... speaking of which, the PS3 finally caught up to the GameCube! Now that's momentum I can get behind!

RJT said:
but Nintendo is not losing market share:

You can barely notice the MGS4 bump, let alone any lethargy experienced by Nintendo...

i should not have said ps3 is stealing market share because it sends the wrong message. i should have said that ps3 is gaining share, not stealing from wii. it doesn't quite work that way.

let's wait to see what happens in the coming months <in japan>. i hope they're wrong but even nintendo japan has said it recognizes a problem, especially in terms of total software attach rate and third-party attach rate. but who cares when wii and nds are both very strong in the u.s., right? even if the tides do turn, i doubt we'll see any sign of noticeable slowdown before mid-calendar q1 2009.

dr_rus

Captain Smoker said:
GTA IV [360]: 276.000 [2.997.300]
That's strange considering this:
09. NDS LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURE LUCASARTS 267.8K
10. PS2 LEGO INDIANA JONES: THE ORIGINAL ADVENTURE LUCASARTS 260.3K

Top Bottom