• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

indie85 said:
The idea that Wii will outsell both the PS3 and 360 combined is laughable to anyone who considers future factors for growth.

im quoting and bookmarking you for laughs next year ( if you still around)

:D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
charlequin said:
In the US?

Given Microsoft's bet at E3, worldwide might be more pertinent :p

These "at this rate how long til.." questions are a bit useless though. Last year we were talking about it taking 15 or 20 years or something. 'Trends' are changing a lot all the time, at least when it comes to the HD consoles.

Yes Boss!

killakiz said:
If the current trends continue, how long till the PS3 and 360 intersect.

Worldwide it would seem the PS3 will "catch" the 360 in early summer 2009. Really, the 360 had its chance at number two and wasted it.

jibblypop

Banned
Finally indie85 brings the idiocy that the gaffers love. Sometimes I think these threads only exist so everyone waits for "that guy" to arrive.

But hey why not... so you say the ps3 has momentum? do you mean the momentum of releasing the absolute biggest exclusive game they had left and still being destroyed in sales by wii?

indie85 said:
Blu ray (HD) taking up an ever increase in home movie sales,

Which has not led to an appreciable increase in PS3 sales. Blu-Ray increases aren't significant, and even if the were, the PS3 is no longer the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market.

wiiware starting to look like dated shit even to casuals,

WiiWare isn't even half a year old. Nor has it ever been viewed by anyone as a core tenet of the Wii's success.

build up of great next gen game libraries on both PS3 and x360

'Great next gen game libraries' are worthless in terms of sales if they can't reach demographics as wide as games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit does.

, price cuts,

Have never been shown to provide anything more than a very temporary boost in sales of hardware.

fragmentation of wii market through different add ons, etc....

This would only be problematic to developers who try to dev for these add ons. As long as they stick to the Wiimote, there's no fragmentation to speak of.

Jammy

Banned
indie85 said:
Wii wont keep this pace up, WiiWare fatigue WILL set in at some point, at any rate you wont see an increase in wii sales compared to the last 12 months from now on out. Totally different story for PS3 which is gaining momentum, and 360 will always have big months with games like gears 2.
The idea that Wii will outsell both the PS3 and 360 combined is laughable to anyone who considers future factors for growth.

?

I think you're completely missing the fact that sales of Nintendo systems are determined by the amount of shipments they've allotted. The reason the system ONLY sold over 700,000 in North America over the last four months is because that's all they've been putting out.

And on the other hand, Wii's biggest games of the holiday season and the short time after that include Animal Crossing: City Folk, Wii Music, and Wii Sports Resort - all games that are known for capturing audiences like crazy. Only one of these games is a sequel, and that sequel just so happens to be a sequel to the most popular game of this generation so far.

The point is, don't expect Resistance 2 or Gears of War 2 to drive shittons of PS3s and 360s. Everybody who wants Resistance 2 has Resistance. Everybody who wants Gears of War 2 has Gears of War. Similarly, everybody who wanted a true Zelda Wii to be revealed has the system already... so where does that benefit Nintendo come the holidays? Those systems will be driven by price-drops and marketing of Blu-Ray and little else. Wii will be driven even higher by greater supply and entries of games never before seen on the system.

jjasper

jibblypop said:
But hey why not... so you say the ps3 has momentum? do you mean the momentum of releasing the absolute biggest exclusive game they had left and still being destroyed in sales by wii?

The biggest exclusive Sony has is still GT5

indie85

Banned
jibblypop said:
Gimmie the current Marketshare of PS3 today, vs this point last year, kthx.

Evlar

Banned
indie85- "WiiWare" is a term for Nintendo's new game download service, the equivalent of PSN and XBLA. It's only been available for a couple months and casuals aren't going to get tired of it because they don't know it exists.

I think you mean just regular disc-based Wii games when you say "WiiWare", which the rest of us just call... Wii games.

indie85 said:
Blu ray (HD) taking up an ever increase in home movie sales, wiiware starting to look like dated shit even to casuals, build up of great next gen game libraries on both PS3 and x360, price cuts, fragmentation of wii market through different add ons, etc....

Do you even know what WiiWare is? No?

Why should we listen to you again?

I really wish people would start pointing to individual game months as "momentum".

MGS4 isn't going to spur a long term resurgence in interest for the Playstation 3 or its library. It, like other marquee games, sell to a specific audience, and that audience can only bear so much load.

Popular consoles are bought on popularity. Wii will continue to sell well because it has become the status quo, and neither of the other two systems will have the ability to wrest it loose.

Gaborn

Evlar said:
indie85- "WiiWare" is a term for Nintendo's new game download service, the equivalent of PSN and XBLA. It's only been available for a couple months and casuals aren't going to get tired of it because they don't know it exists.

I think you mean just regular disc-based Wii games when you say "WiiWare", which the rest of us just call... Wii games.

I think he more specifically means the "Wii Series" games (as Wikipedia at least calls them) wii sports, wii fit, wii play, etc. It's still ridiculous because anyone that doesn't think sports resort is going to sell SHIT TONS of copies is... not behaving rationally.

jibblypop said:
Finally indie85 brings the idiocy that the gaffers love. Sometimes I think these threads only exist so everyone waits for "that guy" to arrive.

heheh sales have become very boring... im no longer amazed or amused by wii or ds astonishing sales... no longer weak ps3 make me grin...

all my hope is in the idiot of the month...

Vagabundo

To be honest, both sony and MS should focus on profitability this gen, focus on giving their current userbase the best they can and start planning for next gen.

I'd prefer to see a healthy market for games/consoles for the next gen or two rather than see two 800ib gorillas cock beat each other to death.

And for the love of God put some innovation into them next time. To me (and I'm sure many others) PS3 and 360 just look like PS2+ and XBOX+....

Vinci

Danish
indie85 said:
Blu ray (HD) taking up an ever increase in home movie sales, wiiware starting to look like dated shit even to casuals, build up of great next gen game libraries on both PS3 and x360, price cuts, fragmentation of wii market through different add ons, etc....

I swear, you're like Sony. You completely have no sense of understanding when it comes to what the market demands. Hint: It never demanded Blu-Ray and it never wanted something to replace DVD, which is why it's not happening; casuals couldn't give a fuck about MGS4, FF XIII, or Gears of War 2; price cuts provide a temporary boost, they won't save you from mediocrity if your sales are ordinarily mediocre; and all the add-ons have done is make people buy the Wii more, whereas the SKUs nonsense and splitting of the hardcore demographic have caused the 360 and PS3 to have a monthly pissing match with both wanting to pee in the same pile of snow.

Jammy

Banned
indie, what do you think PS3 will do in the coming months? Do you not agree that MGS4 blew its load at launch? Sales of that game have slowed to a trickle the past few weeks. Such is a problem for a game like that.

I'd put PS3 numbers for July at ~250,000, accounting for the steep drop in MGS4 and the four week month, as opposed to June's five.

How's that for momentum?

indie85

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Which has not led to an appreciable increase in PS3 sales. Blu-Ray increases aren't significant, and even if the were, the PS3 is no longer the cheapest Blu-Ray player on the market.
Ignorance of the facts is no excuse for stupidity, do some research into growth trends for Blu ray please and what is the best selling player.

WiiWare isn't even half a year old. Nor has it ever been viewed by anyone as a core tenet of the Wii's success.
You need 5 seconds to tell you've been scammed into buying a last gen console with unaccurate waggle (though now improved! - see last point), though by next year it should be readily apparent to everyone, little jimmy will be mighty pissed seeing a trail for KZ2 on tv whilst hes stuck manipulating his Mii avatar in another Wiiware game.

'Great next gen game libraries' are worthless in terms of sales if they can't reach demographics as wide as games like Wii Sports and Wii Fit does.
Worthless? so MGS4 had no impact on PS3 sales? COD4 was worthless to next gen console sales?

Have never been shown to provide anything more than a very temporary boost in sales of hardware.
PS3 price cuts have had a massive impact on sales.

This would only be problematic to developers who try to dev for these add ons. As long as they stick to the Wiimote, there's no fragmentation to speak of.
So the Wiimote 1:1 out next year, how will developers design a game in mind for the old and new, will reviewers have to give two reviews depending on which version of wiimote you have? Did you hear the 1upyours podcast? This is a disaster beyond any sku revision sony or MS have released.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Stumpokapow said:
2008:
Disgaea 3 August 26
Buzz Quiz TV September 23
NBA 09 The Inside October 7
SOCOM Confrontation October 14
Singstar PS3 2 October 21
Motorstorm 2 October 28
LBP October 2008
Resistance 2 November 2008

+PSN.

No Valkyria Chronicles?

This list fails.

jibblypop said:

You read it here folks.

Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, Motorstorm2, Killzone 2, Socom: Confrontation, and God of War 3 are ALL CANCELLED.

MGS4 was it, pack your bags. The shows over.

Evlar

Banned
indie85 said:
So the Wiimote 1:1 out next year, how will developers design a game in mind for the old and new, will reviewers have to give two reviews depending on which version of wiimote you have? Did you hear the 1upyours podcast? This is a disaster beyond any sku revision sony or MS have released.
This one's special.

Vinci

Danish
indie85 said:
Ignorance of the facts is no excuse for stupidity, do some research into growth trends for Blu ray please and what is the best selling player.

Let me ask you something: How does Blu-Ray stack up against DVD?

You need 5 seconds to tell you've been scammed into buying a last gen console with unaccurate waggle (though now improved! - see last point), though by next year it should be readily apparent to everyone, little jimmy will be mighty pissed seeing a trail for KZ2 on tv whilst hes stuck manipulating his Mii avatar in another Wiiware game.

Little Jimmy won't give a shit because he's having fun moving his Mii avatar. Cinema gaming, which was brought to the forefront with the advent of the Playstation brand, doesn't exist to casuals. Most of them have never heard of KZ2, FF XIII, or any other damned HD game you could mention. They hear 'Wii' in the title of a game and they buy it; it's the only brand with any power this generation.

Worthless? so MGS4 had no impact on PS3 sales? COD4 was worthless to next gen console sales?

PS3 sales will collapse next month. It won't be anywhere near this. MGS4 is what we call a 'front-loaded' game, something that sells enormously well in its first month but falls off the radar within the next two. For example: Where the hell was the bump from GTA IV and where is GTA IV now anyway?

Yes, they went from utter, meaningless shit to mediocre.

The MotionPlus isn't going to break a game. Nintendo wouldn't add the thing if it were going to rip their games apart.

Jammy

Banned
indie85 said:

Why would little Jimmy be pissed? Killzone sucked and Liberation was only B material. Why people put so much faith in an unproven and mediocre franchise just because of the graphics is still lost to me.

And I'm dying here. :lol Did you just call the Wii MotionPlus a disaster?

:lol :lol :lol

indie85 said:

Yes, Blu-Ray has a higher adoption rate than DVDs.

You are aware how long it took DVDs to become the de facto standard? Further - assuming one counts the PS3 as a player, then it's sales amongst the Blu-Ray players must be high. But that's only if you assume that the majority of people bought the PS3 first and foremost as a Blu-Ray player - which discounts the effect of the games being released for it.

If it takes only 5 seconds, then why is the Wii selling so phenomenally well two years into it's lifespan? Furthermore, little Jimmy is one of the demographics that cares the least about the graphical quality of a game.

No significant impact, yes. This month (and months where big-name games release) tend to be statistical anomalies. You have to show you can sustain consistently good sales even without blockbuster titles like MGS4 or CoD4 coming out every month.

You must have a different definition of the word 'massive' then I do. And considering how the PS3 started out (losing to the GBA in monthly sales), I'm pretty certain the only way it could go was up.

Or... you could make Motion Plus games that don't work on Wiimotes without the Motion Plus - anyone who wants to play the enhanced games can go buy the Motion Pluses. That's the point of add ons.

Gaborn

Jammy said:
Why would little Jimmy be pissed? Killzone sucked and Liberation was only B material. Why people put so much faith in an unproven and mediocre franchise just because of the graphics is still lost to me.

:lol :lol :lol

Because Lair was AWESOME /sarcasm

jibblypop

Banned
jeremy_ricci said:
LittleBigPlanet

This game doesn't seem like it's a huge blockbuster release to me. I really hope I'm wrong though because it looks like one of the best games coming out to any system. Actually you never know... sometimes big marketing budgets can carry any game to great sales. So I hope this one gets marketed well.

blitz64

killakiz said:
If the current trends continue, how long till the PS3 and 360 intersect.

Based on the npd numbers I found here on gaf:

PS3: After 20 months, PS3 has a ltd of 4851300. PS3 is where Xbox360 was at 15 months (Jan 2007), where Wii was at 11 months (Sept 2007). At this month's rate, the ps3 will pass the xbox360 in 21 months (April 2010)

Jammy

Banned
jeremy_ricci said:
You read it here folks.

Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, Motorstorm2, Killzone 2, Socom: Confrontation, and God of War 3 are ALL CANCELLED.

All of those are first party and none of those have the selling power of MGS4, which, going by approximated worldwide numbers now, isn't as much as you'd think (~2 million).

The fact that LittleBigPlanet is a complete mismatch to the system and its userbase and that Resistance managed 800,000 in the U.S. just shows this.

Evlar

Banned
Luckyman said:
Microsoft has no chance to extend it´s lead anywhere this year. MS PR guys eating their words.. priceless.
Yeah... MS said they could "confirm" they would finish the generation ahead of PS3 worldwide, but I see a good chance Sony can catch up by the end of 2010 or so (assuming FFXIII helps in Japan, and is released by then).

gofreak said:
I think, on paper, it has a lot more potential to push consoles into new hands than something like Resistance or Gears. There's nothing like it out there yet, there's nothing like it on the system. Gears and Resistance (and games of their ilk) have already established audiences.

A lot of this is potential right now though. A lot depends on marketing. I would prefer if it were launching onto a cheaper PS3 too. I'm loathe to make any hard predictions, but this game simple looks too good and too marketable. It seems to appeal to everyone, it has depth and novelty..a marketing department couldn't hope for a better product to sell in many ways.

You know, my biggest gripe with LBP is that I have a staunch belief that Sony won't have any clue how to do these things with it and the only person who did works at Atari games now.

John_Doe

Juice said:
UH-OH Microsoft.

I'm still convinced that half the PS3s being sold are being sold as Blu-Ray players. Between its position on electronic store circulars next to each HDTV and the common sense knowledge (plus TV salesman wisdom) that they're preferable to standalone players, that should be enough to gain traction against the 360, even though Sony is unlikely to see much follow-up income from that lot.

Edit: Oh, and Nintendomination and all that.

every one know that PS3 is a better bluray player the month MGS4 is released.

AtreyU

Neo Member
indie85 said:

indie85,

please explain using graphs how you believe the next two years will pan out and then let us call you a fucking idiot for doing so. in two years someone will be talking about next gen and when that happens it means the generation has been already won and lost.

DeaconKnowledge said:
You know, my biggest gripe with LBP is that I have a staunch belief that Sony won't have any clue how to do these things with it and the only person who did works at Atari games now.

If he made a job move to Atari he can't be all that bright. :p

Tmac

World Wide much sooner. That's the adavantage of having a more worldwide appealing console. Sony achieved that with local developers/studios teams in many different countrys. Microsoft thinks they can buy a shortcut. Of course tha will never be as effective as sony aproach.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jammy said:
All of those are first party and none of those have the selling power of MGS4, which, going by approximated worldwide numbers now, isn't as much as you'd think (~2 million).

I thought it should be closer on 3m now.. it was past 1m in Europe in the first couple of weeks, was around 600k in Japan (i think?), ~1m in the first couple of weeks in the US..

Jammy said:
The fact that LittleBigPlanet is a complete mismatch to the system

No game is a mismatch for any system. If you want new audience you have to put out games with appeal for more than just those who've already bought the system. That's precisely how you move hardware.

Like any potential new hit, LBP will need good marketing..but it has a lot of potential as a universally appealing game IMO.

jjasper

Jammy said:

I don't think it is a disaster but it is going to split the market and any time that happens there are some problems. Hopefully developers will develop for it in mind even if a majority of Wii owners don't have one.

Vinci

Danish
Tmac said:
World Wide much sooner. That's the adavantage of having a more worldwide appealing console. Sony achieved that with local developers/studios teams in many different countrys. Microsoft thinks they can buy a shortcut. Of course tha will never be as effective as sony aproach.

I agree that Sony is likely to end up ahead of the 360 worldwide in the end, but Microsoft was always more interested in hurting Sony than winning some console war. And the damage done to Sony this gen, by Microsoft and the (WTF - where did this come from?!) Nintendo, is huge. Microsoft could lose five billion buying exclusives for the 360 till the end of the generation and still consider it a win if it sends Sony flailing backwards.

gofreak said:
No game is a mismatch for any system. If you want new audience you have to put out games with appeal for more than just those who've already bought the system. That's precisely how you move hardware.

Question: How'd Viva Pinata do on the 360?

Jammy said:

The fact that LittleBigPlanet is a complete mismatch to the system and its userbase and that Resistance managed 800,000 in the U.S. just shows this.

So thats the game we're playing.

I'm just in this thread to laugh at all the bitter fanboy tears from all sides. The ones who think Sony is ready to dominate, the ones who think Sony is dead, and the ones who think that somehow, analyzing sales data with their caclulator and an excel spreadsheet make them 'knowledgable gamers'.

I was completely on the fence when I bought my Wii, but I sat down and analyzed the sales data, and how much previous games had sold, and then I decided to make the leap. Thank god for sales data!

phalestine

aka iby.h
jeremy_ricci said:
You read it here folks.

Look another one :|, alright let me break it down for you.

He said BIGGEST EXCLUSIVE, not the only exclusive.

Resistance 2 - yeah MGS is bigger. LBP - Yeah MGS is bigger. Motorstorm 2 - um lol. Socom = yeah MGS is bigger. GOD of War 3 - MGS is bigger. its also important to state that these games wont do so hot in Japan, though we cant be so sure about LBP. the rest arent that big at all.

you read it here folks, most gaffers cant read.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
jjasper said:
I don't think it is a disaster but it is going to split the market and any time that happens there are some problems. Hopefully developers will develop for it in mind even if a majority of Wii owners don't have one.
Yeah, I don't expect the majority of Wii owners to even know about the peripheral or factor support for it into their purchasing habits.

jjasper

jibblypop said:
2010 right? Yeah that is a big exclusive but it's FAR off... the PSP owners are still waiting for the GT that was promised to them as well.

Yeah it is probably coming in 2010 so that would probably make the next proven system seller to be God of War 3 assuming it does come in 2009. Of course there are are possible system sellers (killzone 2 and Little Big Planet) but those are far from sure things.

:lol GT PSP

Tmac

Btw some people are counting as the wii selling the same forever. You should not. Mainly because the wii is sold out, therefore those numbers arent acurate. The "real" sales might be much bigger or much lower. Let me explain.

Supose there's currently 3 million people wanting to buy a wii, while 200k new people are added to that pool each month

Month# | Sales | Pool of people waiting to get a wii

1 | 600k | 2.6m
2 | 700k | 2.1m
3 | 600k | 1.7m
4 | 700k | 1.3m
5 | 700k | 0.9m
6 | 700k | 0.4m
7 | 700k | 0.0m
8 | 200k | 0.0m
9 | 200k | 0.0m
0 | 200k | 0.0m
1 | 200k | 0.0m
2 | 200k | 0.0m
3 | 200k | 0.0m

You get my point.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Tmac said:
Btw some people are counting as the wii selling the same forever. You should not. Mainly because the wii is sold out, therefore those numbers arent acurate. The "real" sales might be much bigger or much lower. Let me explain.

This is not consistent with real-world economics.

Top Bottom