• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 won't have microtransactions, leak was from ancient build, will use DLC

Ramenman

BUT BUT BUT the CEO tweeted things a year ago how can it not be directly related to those empty leaked screens !!!!!!!!

Glad they're clarifying that at least we'll be able to discuss the actual game in future threads now

family-guy-good-good-o.gif

Here's hoping for some amazing multiplayer like the PC mod provided.

Ramenman

You know what's sad?
That this is news-worthy these days ;_;

It's news-worthy only because "leaked screens" of unknown nature made the conspiracy juices of the internet people boil around like a hundred kettles of doom and were suddenly turned into a "guilty until proven innocent" situation.

So yeah, in that way, it's sad that they had to clarify this, because it's sad how people reacted to this in the first place. I guess some people just want to be mad, at this point.

Angelcurio

No multiplayer but they will support the mod community.

Now this is a huge letdown, after all the crazy things i saw on the PC side with JC2, i was expecting the same kind of multiplayer madness for us console players, even if it was some kind of free roam mode.

It won't have microtransactions, guys. Just railworks amounts of DLC like JC2.

Edit: lol, I guess JC2 had less DLC than I remembered. They still all cost $1-3 though, definitely microtransaction territory.

Stimpack

supporting a game post-launch with free or paid-for content can be good. sure, it can be bad too.

but microtransactions in a $60 retail release are pretty much always going to be bad.

Honestly, microtransactions are usually bad, regardless of price. Can't stand it when games try to milk you for hundreds or thousands of dollars. It's disgusting.

Magnus

What really differentiates micro-transactions and DLC?

The scale or scope of the content itself?

Like, are we referring to costumes, hats, cosmetics or in-game boosts as micro, and 'expansions', levels, etc as DLC?

By that metric, games like TLOU had tons and tons of micro...right? I recall being able to buy like a hundred different things for 50 cents or a couple of bucks each. I think they were costumes or skins.

Anyone?

JC2 had vehicle and weapon "DLC," and they alluded to doing the same thing in the OP.

So that's badically micro, isn't it?

Yeah, JC2 basically had micro transactions anyway. They're lying out their ass when they say that JC3 won't have anything like it. They may have gotten rid of the "diamond" currency system or whatever, though, which may be what they're calling "microtransactions" in this context. And that would definitely be an improvement.

Orayn

Depends on who you ask. Some say that "microtransactions" are necessarily generic and consumable, like boosts and in-game currency, others don't see the point in making that kind of distinction.

I don't doubt that the game will look and play amazing, but no co-op and I'm passing. Inexcusable at this point.
I don't know if I'd go that far.

While it's unfortunate that multiplayer isn't in, Just Cause is ultimately a single player series, so I don't think Avalanche should be held against it.

Yeah, JC2 basically had micro transactions anyway. They're lying out their ass when they say that JC3 won't have anything like it. They may have gotten rid of the "diamond" currency system or whatever, though, which may be what they're calling "microtransactions" in this context. And that would definitely be an improvement.

I wouldn't consider JC2's DLC "microtransactions" at all. You pay once and that's it. Like most DLC.

Magnus

Depends on who you ask. Some say that "microtransactions" are necessarily generic and consumable, like boosts and in-game currency, others don't see the point in making that kind of distinction.

Cool. Yeah. They're basically almost synonyms. I think the latter really does refer to larger, more significant content packs, while the former leans towards more nickel and diming.

Unain

Remaining sceptical with how much they will put in DLC (those small packs from JC2 were sort of micro-transactions).

Still hyped though, JC2 ran amazingly well on PC for such a vast environment during its release.

JNA

Banned
I'm still a little skeptical.

I'm not worried about it being free to play, I'm worried like what 2K has done to NBA 2K14 and on. Putting microtransactions in everything even after paying the $60.

And how much dlc are we talking? Are they ALREADY putting in locked disk dlc? Is the game even 50-75% to gold yet?

Still a little worried.

I wouldn't consider JC2's DLC "microtransactions" at all. You pay once and that's it. Like most DLC.

Microtransactions initially described small, bite sized dlc purchases like those. The definition has changed however, to almost exclusively describe weird currency systems that encourage shadier practices.

CentroXer

Banned
JC2 basically had micro transactions anyway. They're lying out their ass when they say that JC3 won't have anything like it. They may have gotten rid of the "diamond" currency system or whatever, though, which may be what they're calling "microtransactions" in this context. And that would definitely be an improvement.

so is everyone complaining over Nintendo's small DLC packs as well? It's same same thing.

Microtransactions initially described small, bite sized dlc purchases like those. The definition has changed however, to almost exclusively describe weird currency systems that encourage shadier practices.

as I said, Nintendo has done the same thing with some of their games.

Top Bottom