• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Cause 3 won't have microtransactions, leak was from ancient build, will use DLC

MCN

Banned
I've always considered microtransactions to be things that you pay for, get one or two uses out of, then have to pay for again. Things like having to buy ammo, or in-game currency, or to take away a timer for an action. DLC is something you for once, and can continue using it, like JC2's vehicles.

iNvid02

im so happy

hhmxyEt.gif

Griss

I am actually amazed, amazed that it wasn't what it appeared to be. 99% of the time in the industry where there's smoke, there's fire. Must have been so nice for Avalanche to be able to say 'Fuck, thank god we didn't do that! Shall we tell them that the game we're making is what they want?" "Yeah, let's." And then watch the internet throw a party.

Holy shit, a happy ending for once. Thank you god.

Sushi Nao

Ok! Thanks Avalanche. I withdraw my earlier concerns and will likely purchase Just Cause 3. Thanks for not being the dumbs 'bout this

Saw AC:U backlash, back-pedal/immediate statement? Whatever works!

Raonak

Banned
Thank fucking god. I'm a big fan of just cause 2, and was really, really hyped for JC3, but microtransactions looked extremely bad, to the point where I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Hype fully resseructed :D

Hip Hop

Fucking excited now!

I wasn't really let down by the microtransaction stuff, just by the "non traditional" release this game was rumored to have.

Yeah, we will see. Their definition of "DLC" might not be what people think.

A car pack that you can buy (which you otherwise would have to grind for 10 hours) for 1$ can be called DLC. An item that you buy that immediately upgrades all your stats/equipment/whatever can also be DLC.

The "leak" has left a rancid smell around it and I wont be approaching without some caution.

Yay! Okay, i'm grappling back aboard the hype train now.
It's where i should be as i loved JC2. So much fun, so, so, so much fun :)

I'm still keeping a wary eye on their DLC plans as i can't believe there isn't 'something' in the game design i won't like. The boss has been harping on about additional revenue and building games around that for a while now. It has to have tainted the game somewhere.

Shaneus

But at one stage of development, they thought of it. Maybe they just removed microtransactions and made everything grindy-grindy.

Or ad-supported.

SerTapTap

But at one stage of development, they thought of it. Maybe they just removed microtransactions and made everything grindy-grindy.

Or ad-supported.
If it's neither multiplayer nor microtransaction based there is no real reason to make it grindy

Microtransactions initially described small, bite sized dlc purchases like those. The definition has changed however, to almost exclusively describe weird currency systems that encourage shadier practices.

Yes, it has confused me in the past. Things like horse armour used to be called micropayments/microtransactions, because they were about selling very minor non essential enhancements to the game.
I'd prefer disposable/consumable DLC to be called what it is.

SerTapTap

Yes, it has confused me in the past. Things like horse armour used to be called micropayments/microtransactions, because they were about selling very minor non essential enhancements to the game.
I'd prefer disposable/consumable DLC to be called what it is.

We desperately need better vocabulary for this crap. And not ONLY because $100+ purchases are being called "micro" transactions. There's a huge difference between "Free to Play" Killer Instinct and F2P Candy Crush from both business and player experience perspectives. At a glance I would really like to know the difference between at least the following massively different situations:
1) Full priced (or actually free) game, with either no add on content or free add on content. No extra payments at all.
2) Game with "Expansion Pack" style DLC where all DLC adds gameplay features/areas not just cosmetics/etc. No consumables.
3) Game with paid cosmetic DLC.
4) Game with consumable microtransactions for additional currency, single use items and the like. No spending cap.
5) Games with realtime timers and microtransactions to speed them up, AKA figuratively Hitler on a stick.

Actually, the upfront buying price is the least relevant part of the game at this point IMO. I want to know what other bullshit you cram in before I get it, whether it's free or not.

GHG

Its sad that this is news these days.

But I will celebrate this as I loved JC2.

Can't wait for the reveal.

Top Bottom