• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress |OT| The Real AOTS (Attack on Titan Stand-In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dio

Banned
Is a new episode out?

The episode 2 everyone watched was a Chinese broadcast with English subtitles crudely pasted on top of Chinese hardsubs, because it aired for a little while in China prior to it airing in Japan.

It was delayed due to the earthquake and hasn't 'officially' aired yet.

Barzul

The episode 2 everyone watched was a Chinese broadcast with English subtitles crudely pasted on top of Chinese hardsubs, because it aired for a little while in China prior to it airing in Japan.

Gotcha I actually watched that and was expecting an episode 3 lol. Guess I'll just check back again in a few weeks.

Busaiku

Ugh, I'm still getting terrible quality.
Don't think it's my internet, cause Funimation and Hulu usually look fine.

Episode 2 continued the excellent pacing, great storytelling, fantastic characters, and beautiful design.

I can't believe this anime is being made. It is like the Gundam Origin of TV anime, an out of nowhere return to what should have been.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Cool second ep. This continues to be a fun throwback to ye olde '80s / '90s hyperviolent action anime (without the lamer bits that came with that stuff).

I mean it's all derivative as fuck, of course, but w/e.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
That was great! It really does fill in the void left by the AoT hiatus. Only thing I didn't like was that were 2 episodes in and they've already started using still frames. Hope it doesn't get as bad as it felt like in AoT.

Epcott

What a strange show. Can't believe I like it despite it feeling like AOT x Snowpiercer with zombies. Is this based on an existing manga?

Moaradin

This show is legitimately better than Attack on Titan so far. Didn't expect saying that when I first saw the trailer lol.

Ascheroth

Ikoma is a pretty cool MC, far better then Eren. Takumi also redeemed himself there at the end. Pretty nice action and the close-up shading is damn beautiful. I just hope it doesn't fall apart towards the end, because this is very entertaining so far.
And the ED is amazing.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
That was cool. So, Kabaneri refer to human x kabane hybrid. Man, it still feel like Attack on titan, especially that double steam gun.

Arkeband

Banned
Ikoma pulling the lever = Eren moving the boulder

I want to like this show but so far it's just AoT with a different coat of paint.

TheWraith

No way this is allowed to be broadcasted in China. Probably a Taiwanese broadcast?

Totakeke

Yeah, the design, the direction, the pacing, the animation, and the characters are a notch above AoT so far and that's great.

Sure it would be great to get an original setting with all that but what we're getting is pretty awesome.

I'll be waiting for the massive quality drop I don't think they can keep this level of detail without delays Ala Titan or a million people working on it.

Probably episode 4 or 5.

Qurupeke

So, at the end of the season, it will be revealed that Kabanes on hamster wheels are behind the trains' engines, right?

So, like, this isn't lighting the world on fire from a narrative perspective or anything but I'm really enjoying it so far. Nice animation, interesting (enough, for now) characters, good music, good pacing. Definitely 2-for-2. Anything better this season? Joker Game? Haven't tried that yet but have heard good things.

So, like, this isn't lighting the world on fire from a narrative perspective or anything but I'm really enjoying it so far. Nice animation, interesting (enough, for now) characters, good music, good pacing. Definitely 2-for-2. Anything better this season? Joker Game? Haven't tried that yet but have heard good things.

depends on what you like. Joker Game is getting ok reception so far in AnimeGAF. People of course love Jojo (i dont care for it). I'm more of a Ushio and Tora guy so far this season.

Oof actually, AOTS for me likely might end up being Tonkatsu DJ. Awesome art style and sick beats.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
AoT's bar is much lower than most proclaim :p
TBF the first 3 episodes of AoT were fucking great, after that it went to shit with the pace and plot progression of a snail. Spent far too much time creating more unanswered questions and establishing "mystery" than having an interesting plot but I still fondly remember that time the Collosal Titan turns up again after the timeskip and Eren leroy's in. Shit was so hype. Back when I found Eren as a protagonist mildly paletable.

So far is better excuted though it loses some impact since it follows some similar story beats as AoT. It'll probably overall be a more enjoyable show if it's 13 ups with a decent pace.

depends on what you like. Joker Game is getting ok reception so far in AnimeGAF. People of course love Jojo (i dont care for it). I'm more of a Ushio and Tora guy so far this season.

Oof actually, AOTS for me likely might end up being Tonkatsu DJ. Awesome art style and sick beats.
I don't generally pay attention to the shorts but that looks really cool! Thanks for the rec! I normally like really heady, trippy, science-y anime, but I'm partial to all sorts of stuff. If it's good I'll give it a shot...

So far this season I've seen
NEW
Kabaneri (great)
My Hero Academia (fun; manga reader here)
Flying Witch (enjoyed the first ep)
Ace Attorney (ugh)

RETURNING
Jojo (fabulous)
Ushio (manime <3)
Naruto (j'adore)

CURIOUS (but haven't seen yet)
Joker Game
Bungo Stray Dogs
Twin Star Exorcists
Kiznaiver
Luluco

I kind of just go after the ones ANN rates highly in their preview guide.

Crocodile

I'm surprised this show isn't getting more discussion. I guess Amazon Prime + the second episode delay hurt things? While I guess this show hasn't had an "Armored Titan breaks through the wall" moment in its first two episodes, I do think its stronger than AoT was at this point. Ikoma >>> Eren and Mumei >>> Mikasa are big parts of that I feel. The only thing that's bothering me is that the explanation for how Ikoma didn't succumb to the virus makes NO SENSE if you understand basic human anatomy and virology. Maybe that was a red herring and we'll get a "real reason" later?

todd360

I'm surprised this show isn't getting more discussion. I guess Amazon Prime + the second episode delay hurt things? While I guess this show hasn't had an "Armored Titan breaks through the wall" moment in its first two episodes, I do think its stronger than AoT was at this point. Ikoma >>> Eren and Mumei >>> Mikasa are big parts of that I feel. The only thing that's bothering me is that the explanation for how Ikoma didn't succumb to the virus makes NO SENSE if you understand basic human anatomy and virology. Maybe that was a red herring and we'll get a "real reason" later?

This is a werid virus though. What virus have you seen that makes burning heart zombies? I'm not even sure we can call this a mere virus.

kirblar

When AoT nails it though, it nails it. It's a very erratic series, which I like, because I never really know what to expect going forward. I can understand how that might drive others nuts though.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Ikoma >>> Eren and Mumei >>> Mikasa

Eren is a generic shounen protag, so it isn't hard to beat. A cardboard cutout of Eren would probably beat Eren in the personality department.

Mikasa was cool, but in the end she was just a kuudere with a 6pack and a neat scarf.

Mumei is at least interesting at this point, and she can do little flips and shit, plus she is cuter. Like WAY cuter (and more dangerous). She's super moe, and I'm a sucker for it. Just shovel it into my mouth. They dishin moe, it's all you can eat and I'm at the buffet. I'm a sucker... a sucker baby, all daaaay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom