• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress |OT| The Real AOTS (Attack on Titan Stand-In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vareon

I still chuckle at the edginess of this show but it's really fun so far. The modern-Japanese character designs reminded me of Sakura Taisen and Fire Emblem Fates's Hoshido. It's also refreshing to see faces that reminded me of 90s shows. Overall the show feels like somebody decided to not be shackled with AoT manga and made a show in which they think covers the weakness of AoT. My gripe is right now, the Kabanes are less interesting than the straight-up horrifying Titans. Not to mention a character has gone musou and made them looked like fodder.

And I'm dreading the inevitable drama between Ikoma and the civilians who think he's dangerous. Really hate those kind of story.

I'm surprised this show isn't getting more discussion. I guess Amazon Prime + the second episode delay hurt things?

Well, that is to be expected, I mean, Amazon prime shows are available in like what? 3 countries?.

Anyway, the show is fun as hell, great animation, music, voice acting, I hope it can keep up this pace.

God dam the close-ups are sometimes 80s OVA levels of gorgeous. That's pretty fucking impressive.

This anime is legit good, and not "lol dis anime so bad imma hate watch it" good but like...is a good show good.

T-Rex.

Banned
Attack on Titan had a really strong opening and ending, but the middle episodes were such a drag. I think this is only 13 episodes so hopefully it doesn't slow down, or slow down as much. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Ikoma > Eren.

Kinyou

Really strong second episode. Love the sparks whenever they hit those zombies in the heart

. Ikoma >>> Eren and Mumei >>> Mikasa
XQUkAx0.png

kewlmyc

Really strong second episode. Love the sparks whenever they hit those zombies in the heart

XQUkAx0.png

Mikasa would be a better character without her Eren obsession. Just dial it back some and she's fine. Her stoic character works, it's just the "Eren..." shtick gets old.

Geist-

I think these kind of zombie shows are the only interesting kind for me now. Ones where the zombies are a real unstoppable threat and humans have understandably adapted by building giant fortresses.

Why can't we see stuff like this in western media? Instead we have apocalypses because everyone is too goddamn stupid to survive.

LordOfChaos

Err, mosquitoes do the same thing. Really not that far fetched.

Err, mosquitos give you amnesia when you've visually seen them bite you with your eyes?

And they stimulate your itching response, it's kind of the polar opposite of going unnoticed...

It would certainly be different if they were people sized and being bitten by them was a traumatic event...

Geist-

Err, mosquitos give you amnesia when you've visually seen them bite you with your eyes?

And they stimulate your itching response, it's kind of the polar opposite of going unnoticed...

It would certainly be different if they were people sized and being bitten by them was a traumatic event...
What? It's not amnesia, it's an anaesthetic. People don't feel mosquitoes biting them, they feel it afterwords when the anaesthetic wears off. That's where the itching comes from. Same principle with zombie bites in this, except the lack of feeling in the bite probably lasts until they've turned.

Dennis

Banned
Overpowered girl is overpowered.

Mikasa version 2.0

I think the two first episodes have been OK but overall it seems more cliched than AoT and I find the characters and mystery less compelling so far.

Nah she has her limitation.

I would assume that with proper training MC could turn as good, but I find it interesting they have the overpowered girl/sister figure (because OP gave it the fuck away) that has the exact same powers as the MC but with more training so she's more useful.

What's the point of MC then? That he has a penis? I guess he's a genius and created that new gun, but girl is literally killing the zombies with karate and regular weapons. Why is MC's gun necessary?

Geist-

What's the point of MC then? That he has a penis? I guess he's a genius and created that new gun, but girl is literally killing the zombies with karate and regular weapons. Why is MC's gun necessary?
Diversification. Having all of your offensive power resting on a girl who becomes useless after a certain amount of time seems short-sighted.

Diversification. Having all of your offensive power resting on a girl who becomes useless after a certain amount of time seems short-sighted.

I guess in theory we'll find out for how long MC remains useful. Because if he also grows tired from activity like the karate girl, then he has no point.

I wouldn't mind a glass cannon character counteracted by a more regular offensive ranged dude. Would be an interesting duo.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Goddamn is the MC already the most annoying shit in the universe one episode in. Checks all the boxes of screaming all the time, being deadly serious and generically super heroic, etc. I expect him to have a huge harem.

I would assume that with proper training MC could turn as good, but I find it interesting they have the overpowered girl/sister figure (because OP gave it the fuck away) that has the exact same powers as the MC but with more training so she's more useful.

I'm guessing that there are different types of zombies. She's dope against the level 1 dudes that have just turned, but probably after being a zombie for a while they become bigger and turn into level 20 boss zombies. Her pistol is prolly way underleveled for a boss, but the cannon thing can probably instakill boss dudes or something.

Also her guns are one of a kind and take like 3 hits to kill a zombie, and she needs to keep an eye on ammo, but his takes 1 if it's a close range direct hit and has effectively unlimited ammo (I think).

Really digging this show so far, I know there are a lot AoT similarities, but I think this show has a lot of originality in it as well. Really enjoying the edo/meiji-era Japan (not sure which it's more similar to) x steampunk x zombie apocalypse setting. And the art is fantastic.

TheWraith

Why wouldnt it be? Assassination Classroom aired there too.

Because China has very heavy censorship laws and any Japanese anime is forbidden on Chinese tv channels. (Of course people will find other less legal ways there). Quite sure Assassination Classroom aired in Hong Kong and Taiwan, but not in China. Same for Kabaneri.

Overpowered girl is overpowered.

Mikasa version 2.0

I think the two first episodes have been OK but overall it seems more cliched than AoT and I find the characters and mystery less compelling so far.

Well there goes all the tension after building the monsters up in the first episode. She just kills them effortlessly. I miss the hopelessness and desperation in the first episode and AoT.

xam3l

Yeah... AoT this and that. I can see this for what is worth. So... When do we get a 3rd episode?
Mumei is the shit!

Dennis

Banned
Well there goes all the tension after building the monsters up in the first episode. She just kills them effortlessly. I miss the hopelessness and desperation in the first episode and AoT.

Yeah that is the problem. The kabane never had a chance to feel really dangerous before the main character and Mikasa v2.0 fucked them up like nothing.

Shit like this should be obvious to the producers. How can they fuck that up?

Eumi

As a grumpy "AoT was terribly written (adapted?) and I don't get it" kind of guy, I'm pleased that this show has taken the strongest elements of AoT and thrown it into a setting I actually enjoy with characters who I actually want to live. I just hope it changes direction in the next few episodes, sine it's not like AoT was bad and another version of it can only play second fiddle.

But man is this cast better than their AoT counterparts. The dude still has special powers but hopefully they'll complement his actual strength which is his engineering skills. The girl is a character who so far hasn't completely revolved around getting the guys dick (I hope that doesn't change).

Now they just need to find a way to make Kanbane threatening again, they kinda stopped being scary the minute Mumei started going all Dynasty Warriors on their ass. If anything, this'll be the thing that brings it down when compared to AoT.

Kolx

Ikoma >>> Eren and Mumei >>> Mikasa

I can't find a difference between Ikoma and Eren personalities so far except that Eren has more depth since well he had 20 episodes while Ikoma had only 2 but in general they look almost exactly the same.
as for Mumei and Mikasa a big NO. Mumei looks like the hero who goes into an army of enemies and kill all of them only to yawn after which I fuckin hate.

Ascheroth

Ikoma showed more depth in those 2 episodes than Eren in his 20+ episodes. (not that it's hard, Eren consists literally of 1 character trait)

Froli

God tier animation and if you notice there are more color palettes for the characters/environment. for example 4 color shadings for the skin (while current animes has 2 or 3 at max)

I was a bit surprised at how much of the AoT formula remains here, but damn this show is exciting. First time I'll be watching an anime weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom