• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress |OT| The Real AOTS (Attack on Titan Stand-In)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mumei is supposed to be Mikasa. The female 'sister' who is overall more powerful than the lead, but the lead has something that makes them the special. In this case the difference might be that the lead doesn't get tired after x amount of time fighting or that he developed a gun that can burst through the cage of the heart.

RangerBAD

Mumei is supposed to be Mikasa. The female 'sister' who is overall more powerful than the lead, but the lead has something that makes them the special. In this case the difference might be that the lead doesn't get tired after x amount of time fighting or that he developed a gun that can burst through the cage of the heart.

She really is more Annie. She's a titan and Mumei is a Kabaneri. She probably knows a lot too. Not that anyone is 1:1. She does have Mikasa's badassness, but Annie was that way too.

Geist-

She really is more Annie. She's a titan and Mumei is a Kabaneri. She probably knows a lot too. Not that anyone is 1:1. She does have Mikasa's badassness, but Annie was that way too.
That sounds right, maybe with a less I-don't-care attitude.

As far as the main characters specialness, it has to be his engineering skills that make him stand-out. Maybe also his spiteful determination as well. :p

Achamian

Just watched the first and second episodes after reading this thread. Definitely very aot but a good start. Will continue to watch for now.

Cornbread78

Now that escalated quickly. Still has the high production value, but not as much action this time around. What's up with the cliffhanger? That's it, ruins the experience, dropped like a sack of flour....

What's up with the QQ about episodes ending on cliff hangers now? When did the internet collectively decide cliff hangers are a bad thing?

Cliffhangers have always been annoying if you're now only noticing you have some selective ass attention. They're a cheap unnecessary ploy to get people to watch more. If you have an audience that's already watching they're going to keep watching. If you have people losing interest they aren't going to have their minds changed because you have a gun shown, the screen turns to black and then a gunshot and scream is heard.

I've hated them since Halo 2 and Attack on Titan loved ending episodes right at the peak of an action scene or in a cliffhanger so I find it hilarious this shit had to happen on the show that seems to be doing their hardest to copy everything from their previous success.

im fine with kabaneri ending on cliffhangers since its not like the show has awesome writing or would be elevated without them, its what i expect

as a narrative device they are pretty awful though

Cliffhangers have always been annoying if you're now only noticing you have some selective ass attention. They're a cheap unnecessary ploy to get people to watch more. If you have an audience that's already watching they're going to keep watching. If you have people losing interest they aren't going to have their minds changed because you have a gun shown, the screen turns to black and then a gunshot and scream is heard.

I've hated them since Halo 2 and Attack on Titan loved ending episodes right at the peak of an action scene or in a cliffhanger so I find it hilarious this shit had to happen on the show that seems to be doing their hardest to copy everything from their previous success.

im fine with kabaneri ending on cliffhangers since its not like the show has awesome writing or would be elevated without them, its what i expect

as a narrative device they are pretty awful though

Came in here to post this. Cool episode, dig the show so far but I fricken' hate cliff hangers.

it won't be an issue here as long as it doesn't attack on titan its schedule

but if you're one of the crowd that binged the show after it all aired you wouldn't know just HOW annoying cliffhangers were when episodes would be weeks if not months away. Especially when it was the show I was using to get friends back to anime and they would hate how long new episodes took.

Crocodile

Attack on Train 3:

• Mumei is love. Mumei is life.
  • Cliffhangers are love. Cliffhangers are life.
  • What was with that dude inserting randomly perfectly pronounced English words into their Japanese?

it won't be an issue here as long as it doesn't attack on titan its schedule

but if you're one of the crowd that binged the show after it all aired you wouldn't know just HOW annoying cliffhangers were when episodes would be weeks if not months away. Especially when it was the show I was using to get friends back to anime and they would hate how long new episodes took.

Ya this is something I'm trying to take into account cause I binge watched AOT but even then I was aware of how many cliff hangers there were it just never upset me because of the instant satisfaction of hitting next episode lol. Oh well, hope the next episode airs soon, I already really like the show

RiZ III

I'm actually enjoying this more than AoT. Of course it's early to say what's better, but I definitely like the setting more. The action scenes are done so well it's crazy. Episode 3 was slow, but the ending really kicked things up again. Also, I don't get the hate for cliffhangers considering almost every tv show does that.

Geist-

I'm actually enjoying this more than AoT. Of course it's early to say what's better, but I definitely like the setting more. The action scenes are done so well it's crazy. Episode 3 was slow, but the ending really kicked things up again. Also, I don't get the hate for cliffhangers considering almost every tv show does that.

The hate for cliffhangers comes from many shows that have started using them at the end of seasons, which then lead to months to a year of waiting to find out what happened, which is often spoiled beforehand due to some leaked pictures during shooting.

Cliffhangers in the middle of a season with only a week to wait aren't bad, but they're called cliffhangers so they still fall under the same banner of hate.

As for the episode, it was slow, but I just love the atmosphere of Japanese industrial revolution steampunk zombie apocalypse, which so far is raising the level of it higher than AoT for me.

Akainu

This episode just shot up my Mumei points. Hate that, "Hey guys lets hate the one reason we are alive right now cause we're bitches" shit.

Also I doesn't matter whether that woman was pregnant or not. Don't feel bad.

Attack on Train 3:

• Mumei is love. Mumei is life.
  • Cliffhangers are love. Cliffhangers are life.
  • What was with that dude inserting randomly perfectly pronounced English words into their Japanese?

He was blonde so maybe he was supposed to be a foreigner? Maybe we'll find out more about the rest of the world when they get to the big fortress.

I finally decided to check this out thanks to this OT. It's not a bad show, but I keep on comparing it with AoT, which ruins everything. I'm a fan of AoT, warts and all, and Kabaneri to me feels nothing more like a shadow of AoT--a very pretty shadow at that.

It also made me realize what really makes me love AoT--it's the world building, the mysterious and imposing walls that get breached, the horror of the titans. The rough art and utilitarian character designs really add to the post-apocalyptic atmosphere of the show. It was easy for me imagine how scarce resources were and how badly the people needed to reclaim the land beyond the walls.

Ultimately, what disappointed me about Kabane was the lack of a sense of dread. There was not a single time that I genuinely feared for Ikoma's or Mumei's lives. Contrast that with AoT where I felt a great sense of dread and unease from the very first episode.

The good thing is that I can see Kabane of the Iron Fortress truly setting itself apart from AoT as the series progresses. It may not be my idea of an ideal post-apocalyptic world, but it does make for a great action show.

I have zero hope for any of the long lasting plot threads in AoT to wrap up with even a modicum of greatness, so Kabanaeri is surpassing it pretty easily in my book

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I have zero hope for any of the long lasting plot threads in AoT to wrap up with even a modicum of greatness, so Kabanaeri is surpassing it pretty easily in my book

It helps that Mumei and Ikoma are actual characters that display actual emotional range and depth as opposed to the one dimensional constructs that are Eren and Mikasa.

I'm just glad that the lead isn't made into the special at first, he immediately finds out there's more like him fairly fast and he's getting his ass kicked left and right.

Just watched all 3 episodes and it's pretty great. I'm a big fan of AoT and zombies so this is perfect combination for me. As someone who admittedly doesn't watch much anime this is quickly becoming a favourite of mine.

Kolx

I finally decided to check this out thanks to this OT. It's not a bad show, but I keep on comparing it with AoT, which ruins everything. I'm a fan of AoT, warts and all, and Kabaneri to me feels nothing more like a shadow of AoT--a very pretty shadow at that.

It also made me realize what really makes me love AoT--it's the world building, the mysterious and imposing walls that get breached, the horror of the titans. The rough art and utilitarian character designs really add to the post-apocalyptic atmosphere of the show. It was easy for me imagine how scarce resources were and how badly the people needed to reclaim the land beyond the walls.

Ultimately, what disappointed me about Kabane was the lack of a sense of dread. There was not a single time that I genuinely feared for Ikoma's or Mumei's lives. Contrast that with AoT where I felt a great sense of dread and unease from the very first episode.

The good thing is that I can see Kabane of the Iron Fortress truly setting itself apart from AoT as the series progresses. It may not be my idea of an ideal post-apocalyptic world, but it does make for a great action show.

Sums up my thought really. My main problem is with how there is almost no mystery at all Unlike AoT. Also, the introduction of Mumei was a bit too early. They should have build up the tension before making the Kabane looks like some easy foes.

It helps that Mumei and Ikoma are actual characters that display actual emotional range and depth as opposed to the one dimensional constructs that are Eren and Mikasa.

What is it with all of this hate for Eren? I can't think of one scene that sets apart Eren and Ikoma. The sacrifice, the friendship and the desire to revenge a beloved one is used almost exactly in both shows. They are basically the same person with a different look in a different shows which is not bad at all.

JCG

Sums up my thought really. My main problem is with how there is almost no mystery at all Unlike AoT. Also, the introduction of Mumei was a bit too early. They should have build up the tension before making the Kabane looks like some easy foes.

Keep in mind that this show will not end up having even half as many episodes as Attack on Titan (which isn't even close to ending yet).

I also think they will inevitably introduce further complications that can make the Kabane more threatening, whether individually or as a collective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom