• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadowfall Press Preview Thread

viveks86

They probably mean no auto-aim. But I'll wait till launch to asses whether the reticule slows down over targets or not as in R3 etc. It's no big deal and would be cool of them to do this. But with the OWl, it could be argued thier design design philosophy lies in helping the player quite a bit.

Where have you been? This has specifically been discussed for a while now. No aim assist. None, zilch, nada. Welcome to the first pure next gen console shooter! :)

stryke

3twsms.jpg

That subtle DoF.

Lovin it

ZehDon

To be honest, I thought that the reveal demo was the usual "motion bullshot" we see at console reveals so I expected the gameplay stuff to reign it in a little. But man, after seeing this footage... God damn, I'll eat my crow with a smile. GG weren't kidding when they said the PS4 let's you do everything at once. What blows my mind is that this is a launch game. A fucking launch game.

Vire

To be honest, I thought that the reveal demo was the usual "motion bullshot" we see at console reveals so I expected the gameplay stuff to reign it in a little. But man, after seeing this footage... God damn, I'll eat my crow with a smile. GG weren't kidding when they said the PS4 let's you do everything at once. What blows my mind is that this is a launch game. A fucking launch game.

I agree, I wasn't nearly as impressed with Perfect Dark Zero or Resistance at the time.

For a launch game, it's incredibly impressive. I don't think I even have to put a qualifier on it, it's just impressive period.

Where did the quote come from?

From the Gamereactor article

The singleplayer campaign of Killzone: Shadow Fall is rendered in a native 1920x1080p resolution with framerates ranging between 35 and 40 frames per second. The resolution of the textures are 15 times as high as in Killzone 3 and the game is stocked full of gorgeous systems for volumentric lighting and particles. The multiplayer is rendered in the same resolution with 60 frames per second as Guerrilla hope to compete with Call of Duty.

Valnen

Need I remind people: we haven't seen Naughty Dogs new game.

Let that sink in for a moment

I'm more excited for Naughty Dog's next-next game on the PS4, which will undoubtedly look even better than their first attempt at the PS4. It'll be Uncharted 2 all over again.

slapnuts

WOW!! Those screenies are soooooooooo CLEAN! Oh man i never thought i would be this jacked up this early in the new PS4 launch games coming from the last 2 years of solely PC gaming but i must admit i am damn impressed at the Image Quality going on with PS4's Killzone. For a launch game i am quite impressed indeed! Very nice looking game..personally to me the best looking launch game.

It's a great time to be a PC and Console gamer...finally moving on from those dated aged consoles of current gen. Been a looooong wait!!

StuBurns

Banned
It sounds pretty fantastic.

I'm actually very surprised GG seem to have taken such a progressive direction in design. Is there a new creative director?

Not a fan of the aliasing in that industrial area looking shot :/

Not really noticing any in other shots makes me worry about visual consistency in the game. It looks amazing and all, but if it's gonna jag out on occasion that'll break the immersion.

UNCMark

Banned
Look at all them pretty colors. This looks great. Probably going to day 1 this. I hate PvP, and dont look forward to paying for co-op, but if the game is good I will.

Vire

Not a fan of the aliasing in that industrial area looking shot :/

Not really noticing any in other shots makes me worry about visual consistency in the game. It looks amazing and all, but if it's gonna jag out on occasion that'll break the immersion.

Have you watched the videos? Aliasing is hardly noticeable in motion.

slapnuts

Yeah, game is definitely using FXAA, you can see its tell tale problems.

I don't know bro - i myself being a PC gamer with a decent 3770k@4.4ghz and a 7970 VaporX@1200core/1600mem i been spoiled by pretty clean image quality along with decent AA/AF settings on all my games I've played on PC and to me the image quality of these Killzone screens are VERY CLEAN to me. I guess to some people that sort of thing that you commented on means a lot to some but to me and a lot of others i've noticed...when the image quality is at this level we see with Killzone..it is a non-issue as far as the AA goes. It's VERY CLEAN to me. Definitely something i can "easily" live with, in fact i don't even see the big issues with AA here at all :)

Mr Moose

Wow, looks AMAZING! I think I just filled the cup.
Let's hope they fixed the rain.

My PS4 bundle can't get here fast enough, come on November 29th, don't tease me, hurry and get here!

Huggers

The game looks stunning. The preview video by GameXplain (whoever they are?) was kinda scathing about the attempts to avoid linearity and also said that graphically it looks like a shiny PS3 game and if they'd been told it was PS3 they would have believed it. Which to me, looking at videos seems ridiculous.

Vire

Gamexplain guy says he'd believe it if someone had told him it was a PS3 game...who invited him?

They usually only cover Nintendo games, so it figures...

Anyway, heading to bed, won't be making any adjustments to OP for a while, keep up the good work with the GIFS guys.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
ho-ly-fuck

this game must look sick in motion when you see it yourself running on an actual console.
If the images are not ramped up somehow. But i dont think they are, so: HO-LY-FUCK!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looks good. The art shines, the scale is great, and the technical wizardry is impressive for a launch game. Not much in face value that hasn't been done by some high end PC games already (Crysis 3, Metro: Last Light), but that's a compliment. Glad to see some snazzy effects finally adopted by games, and by a series well renowned for presentation no less.

My feelings towards the Killzone series as a whole are pretty damn scattered, but I will say that the most impressive thing about Shadow Fall to me is what appears to be more open level design. I wasn't fond of the painfully linear campaigns of Killzone 2 and 3 and felt neither did that particular formula very well anyway, but Mercenary, even if it didn't live up to what I hoped, showed that the universe works better when they loosen up the pacing and level structure to let you think a bit instead of monotonous cover-to-cover shootbang.

I get a Crysis series vibe from Shadow Fall, and in a good way. Could be what the series needs.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
well, it was evidently allready the case but this game makes it blatantly obvious: Internet Video encoding and compression does not do justice to games anymore.
It was allready the case with last gen, but was at least not completly out of place, but seeing this game I say youtube needs to ramp up!and fast.

Top Bottom