• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadowfall Press Preview Thread

Strike

Looks absolutely gorgeous. I cant even imagine what we'll be getting out of Sony's first party studios in a few years.

Spinluck

I can't really find anything ugly about the visuals aside the from the rain.

Also, were explosion effects toned down? I feel like that one grenade explosion from the February debut was better than any of the explosions seen in the more recent vids, including these.

There's a gif of it here on GAF. It may just be my imagination, but I feel sure of it. Just an observation.

StuBurns

Banned
Looks absolutely gorgeous. I cant even imagine what we'll be getting out of Sony's first party studios in a few years.
Yeah, if you think about The Order as a year one title, compare it to something like Uncharted, and extrapolate where this platform might be advancing to, it's daunting to imagine.

Kinan

Two more:

iTHlnQPcodebm.gif

Are those blood splashes landing on a create behind him, covering it with fresh blood which properly reflects light? Oh my god.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Did they ever say how long is the single player? Game looks great as expected. I think being a launch title will really help the game and the franchise in getting more exposure.

MrGlass

This game is looking amazing, can't wait to play it. I'm not a big FPS guy but the MP in Killzone 2 was one of the few times i kept wanting to play. I loved the way that the modes would change every five minutes which helped keep it fresh. I skipped KZ3 so i'm not sure if they changed anything but I'm hoping it's the same for this.

Namikaze1

Goddamn, the visuals on this game! Just a few more weeks. Also, I hate when my curiosity gets the better of me. I should not had read that Gamespot spoiler. It would have been a great surprise.

Did they ever say how long is the single player? Game looks great as expected. I think being a launch title will really help the game and the franchise in getting more exposure.

One of the previews mentioned 12hrs but with different ways of approaching each objective I guess it could be give or take a couple of hours.

Anything over 10hrs I am happy with so anymore is a bonus.

Eusis

My feelings towards the Killzone series as a whole are pretty damn scattered, but I will say that the most impressive thing about Shadow Fall to me is what appears to be more open level design. I wasn't fond of the painfully linear campaigns of Killzone 2 and 3 and felt neither did that particular formula very well anyway, but Mercenary, even if it didn't live up to what I hoped, showed that the universe works better when they loosen up the pacing and level structure to let you think a bit instead of monotonous cover-to-cover shootbang.

I get a Crysis series vibe from Shadow Fall, and in a good way. Could be what the series needs.
Yeah, it's the sort of thing that makes me go from "why do people care so much about this series again?" like what happened with Killzone 2 to "ok I think I really may want to play this game." Especially given how linear FPSes have been for the last decade-ish.

slapnuts

Yeah, it's the sort of thing that makes me go from "why do people care so much about this series again?" like what happened with Killzone 2 to "ok I think I really may want to play this game." Especially given how linear FPSes have been for the last decade-ish.

Because some people happen to like the Killzone series and some people happen to hate it, because some people happen to like the halo series and some people happen to hate it, because some people happen to like the Crysis series and some people happen to hate it, because some people happen to like the Half-Life series and some people happen to hate it, because some people happen to like the COD series and some people happen to hate it...so on and so forth.

I never understood posts like this really ...it's not hard to figure out why some people love the killzone series and some don't....because it's a VERY common occurrence with certain series of videogames.....capiche?

By the way..im just giving you a hard time, no offense

What on earth? That's just embarrassing. Might as well say it looks like an SNES game at that point.

He did try to compare it to Goldeneye

Not to stir the pot, but man what a Nintendo fanboy, does he have to reach into the depths of history to find a Nintendo game to relate it to?

velociraptor

Holy shit, this looks more impressive than any game that has been revealed so far. Mindblowing. I cannot believe how good this game looks.

Lacix

I don't like the x-ray vision. Is it necessary ? I think it kills some tension and the surprise effect of running into an unforeseen situation.
I forgive it for the Last of Us because without it would be impossible to survive.

I don't like the x-ray vision. Is it necessary ? I think it kills some tension and the surprise effect of running into an unforeseen situation.
I forgive it for the Last of Us because without it would be impossible to survive.

I think it has cooldown like in TLoU and furthermore here in Shadow Fall, if you use it for too long at once, every enemy will be alerted to your position.

So it's a good compromise and we can simply refrain from using the ability at all too.

boinx

I would disagree with that claim. Never used it myself and i found the game pretty easy. Good headphones might have affected my playthrough tho but even with a shitty sound system in place i would not use the x-ray vision in that game.

Don't know how it's gonna turn out in Shadow Fall but i would bet that the enemies in it are going to provide more of a challenge compared to TLoU.

I literally cannot believe this is a launch game. It looks far beyond anything else releasing day 1, the IQ is 1080p, super clean, there are tons of FX going on and it keeps above 30fps. Plus 60fps multiplayer... GG know their stuff.

I'm going to try and go on a media blackout now though, like many PS4 doesn't hit my doorstep until November 29th. It'll be a long 2 weeks after the 15th that's for sure.

Vitor711

Holy shit, this looks more impressive than any game that has been revealed so far. Mindblowing. I cannot believe how good this game looks.

I dunno - it looks fantastic don't get me wrong but the NPCs look a little rough. Might be better once I see it in person though as youtube compression is a b*tch.

And honestly I wouldn't say that it has THAT much of a lead graphically - the new Ryse footage blew me away and I was not expecting great things. I'm really having a hard time deciding which ones looks better. Which means everyone wins honestly.

Harder? Yes. Impossible? No.
I'm of the opinion that you haven't truly experienced The Last of Us unless you've played it on at least hard difficultywith listen mode turned off.

This game ended up looking even better close to release than it did at its unveiling back in February, when so many here thought the footage was too good to be true. See Ubisoft, that's how you do it! No need to bullshit your audience the closer a game gets to hitting stores.

Oh, and some of those cityscapes are giving me a stiffy. Guerilla, make a Blade Runner game (but not fps).

I think that's the point here too. Without using this tool the game will be very very hard from what I've read and heard in previews. And realistically for one person to overcome many you would need as many things stacked in your favour as possible. FPS game are always slightly ridiculous for their one man against an army plot, so if anything makes it feel like the scenario of winning in these situations is more believable then I'm all for it. And let's not kid ourselves here - we spend an awful lot of time dying through trial and error in games and much of that is learning to memorise enemy positions and working out the best strategy to take them all down whilst minimising damage to yourself. If Shadowfall allows you to form strategies by reducing the level of trial and error gameplay not only is that a better mechanic than having to die and restart constantly it will also lead to a more cerebral style. And I believe that's a positive thing.

a916

Wow... this game went from, it'll be cool to pick up something other than COD and BF4 at launch to, OMG, I really need to play this!

I think the ability to see through walls in this game looks really UGLY! I hope there is a mode where we can play through with this dumb feature disabled.

Mitark

i2nX4kG7AgVSY.gif

this will be my first game on PS4

i made these from the Story trailer but didn't post them before , Love the lighting here with all the effects

iWVRquIwwEZwg.gif

iPODajhHayT1N.gif

Amir0x

Banned
"Whether in its single player or online, you'll notice clean, pretty graphics that run at or near 60fps."

IGN. IGN pls. Spreading falsehoods smh.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Damn, I watched some of those videos, and the screenshots don't make the game justice. Looks gorgeous.

Top Bottom