• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: 98% of PC Copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider Were Bought on Steam

Oh shit, it failed in it's first couple months when AAA games came out for it, let's pack up our bags, let's not get better...cuz you know, that's not how competition works.

Ok, i'll wake you up in 2 years. (That's honestly where I think MS will actually be competitive with Steam. Just a personal projection)

That's fine...so should Microsoft just leave every gaming platform alone or nah?
----------------------------------------------

I don't think MS is up to snuff against Steam right now at all (and didn't think that they would be)...and I don't see it happening for a while. I think that at best (in the near future) games that are going to get the "highest" sales will be MS IPs on the storefront. It just makes the most logical sense. Thinking that MS is going to come in at this point in time and do everything that Steam does and provides out the gate and be good at it...is just wishful thinking. I also don't think it's good to think that they shouldn't try to be competitive either and just "leave it"...that's how you have PC port begging. But either way, none of what is happening is anything that is unexpected.

Yikes...where did I say anything of the like? No need to invent things that I never implied or said.

They won't ever be competitve with steam......it's a pipe dream. This is not MS first attempt either, they had years to at least get some basic features in and the win 10 store is already over a year old.

Durante

The issue is not competition. The issue is that UWP is a terrible platform for full games.
It's a remarkably terrible platform for PC games.

To be perfectly fair, it's not any more terrible than any existing console platform in general though.

Armaros

Oh shit, it failed in it's first couple months when AAA games came out for it, let's pack up our bags, let's not get better...cuz you know, that's not how competition works.

Ok, i'll wake you up in 2 years. (That's honestly where I think MS will actually be competitive with Steam. Just a personal projection)

That's fine...so should Microsoft just leave every gaming platform alone or nah?

I don't think MS is up to snuff against Steam right now at all (and didn't think that they would be)...and I don't see it happening for a while. I think that at best (in the near future) games that are going to get the "highest" sales will be MS IPs on the storefront. It just makes the most logical sense. Thinking that MS is going to come in at this point in time and do everything that Steam does and provides out the gate and be good at it...is just wishful thinking. I also don't think it's good to think that they shouldn't try to be competitive either and just "leave it"...that's how you have PC port begging. But either way, none of what is happening is anything that is unexpected.

You rabid defense of MS is pretending GFWL never existed and that this is MS's first attempt at a store.

Here's the problem: MS needs Win10 and UWP to be somewhat successful for them and their ongoing future plan. If this fails, what happens next?

Hopefully they would backpedal from some of the controversial design decisions about windows 10 and surrended on UWP front since windows phone is dead anyway.

But in reality they will probably double down on trying to force people to use uwp and their store.

wapplew

With these sorts of numbers, it makes more sense for a third party developer to make a WiiU build than a UWA W10 store build.

just let that sink in.

Depends on what the statisitical margin of error is :p

But they say unification of Xbox and PC and UWP and ecosystem and cross play cross buy will give developer incentive to put games on win store and Xbox one.
They say competition should be worry about the numbers of MAU because those MAU is more likely to spend money on the ecosystem.
They say unification will bring those games that skip Xbox one like Japanese titles into the ecosystem because UWP is scalable and support all kind of platform, it's make dev job easier and reach more audience.

Couple months ? You mean years, right ? You know, GFWL ? But I'll give you that, let's talk about couple of months... how can you call competitive a store front which in "couple months" has yet to have a reliable freaking download bar ?
How can you call them competitive when they have yet to get basic features ? WHen it takes them couple months to get VSync ? This is beyond pathetic and I'm just touching the surface here, I'm not even talking policies or GFWL.

Zedox

Yikes...where did I say anything of the like? No need to invent things that I never implied or said.

They won't ever be competitve with steam......it's a pipe dream. This is not MS first attempt either, they had years to at least get some basic features in and the win 10 store is already over a year old.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that you implied that. I was really just asking a question after that. I know you didn't mean that or implied that at all. :)

I 100% that they should be better...especially since this story started in windows 8. It's the usual ish from MS with "starting over" with their products.

2% is a lot higher than I expected to be honest.

This is why its hard to take all those "UWA and Win 10 store will be the death of PC gaming." worries seriously. No one gives a shit about that place. It will die from apathy.

Edit I will say though, its fucking amazing that MS cant even get that shit right. It cant be that hard to have a store on the PC side. I mean right now, Ubisoft, EA, Blizzard and everyone else is doing a better job than they are. Just mind boggling.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm not surprised. If given a choice, I will tend to buy from Steam. The last game where I made a conscious choice to buy somewhere other than Steam was Witcher 3 which I bought from GOG.

I don't think that ROTTR data are so meaningful given the young age of W10 store, but I don't think that it will have an easy life either.

LordRaptor

Hopefully they would backpedal from some of the controversial design decisions about windows 10 and surrended on UWP front since windows phone is dead anyway.

But in reality they will probably double down on trying to force people to use uwp and their store.

being a competitive storefront isn't only putting their own titles there.
It's luring other developers to support it.

Developers developers developers developers
JDob4nk.gif

Yeah I'm not sure why you would use the Windows Store if you had a choice.

It's not like you could get super cheap GMG keys for uPlay or Origin.

When you come out with a client that is objectively worse than the established leader of course this was gonna be the case. Like, do executives really not realize that you only get one chance to launch, that pushing things out half baked is a recipe for disaster every single time?

LordRaptor

When you come out with a client that is objectively worse than the established leader of course this was gonna be the case. Like, do executives really not realize that you only get one chance to launch, that pushing things out half baked is a recipe for disaster every single time?

Maybe they'll beta test in the future

Zedox

To the people replying about my "couple months" statement. I know what GFWL was. I'm talking about from the time when they released AAA games on the Windows 10 store. Shit was out and who was giving a fuck then? No one, cuz no one cared cuz there weren't any AAA games on it. It was horrible way before then (win 8 store...where this originated). The GWFL is a totally different project from this, so I don't combine the two as it was a different team.

I ain't defending how the store is now. It does suck (even on Xbox preview). I just don't think the rhetoric of stop working on it is good. Couple that with competition. I like competition in tech. So sorry not sorry if I want MS to do better. Whatever, you guys can keep with your rhetoric really. I'll stay out of it.

MUnited83

For you.

EDIT: What's more surprising to me is that MS expected more...that's hilarious to me.
Thinking that they will ever actually get up to standards is what is wishful thinking.

To the people replying about my "couple months" statement. I know what GFWL was. I'm talking about from the time when they released AAA games on the Windows 10 store. Shit was out and who was giving a fuck then? No one, cuz no one cared cuz there weren't any AAA games on it. It was horrible way before then (win 8 store...where this originated). The GWFL is a totally different project from this, so I don't combine the two as it was a different team.

I ain't defending how the store is now. It does suck (even on Xbox preview). I just don't think the rhetoric of stop working on it is good. Couple that with competition. I like competition in tech. So sorry not sorry if I want MS to do better. Whatever, you guys can keep with your rhetoric really. I'll stay out of it.

A few AAA games from MS a year from MS is not going to change anything, most of which have a very small fanbase or interest on PC.

It's a remarkably terrible platform for PC games..
And this is remarkably terrible hyperbole. Outside of wide open mod support, the Win 10 store and UWP are perfectly fine. All of the other issues have been fixed or have been officially stated by Microsoft to be on a list of future fixes.

I own two games so far, including Quantum Break and while the game itself is mehhhh the UWP platform worked fine. This is a game that wasn't built for UWP either and has shit optimization. Nothing to do with UWP though. KI works GREAT!

Best of all I don't have to open a stupid bloated client to play them.

aeolist

Banned

i'd be fine with microsoft competing in the space but the problem is 1) they already own the platform and have a great deal of control so consolidating that further under an abusive monopolistic company is bad and 2) the new platform they're building is inherently limited in ways that hurt the medium

so yes, i hope they stop working on it entirely and i don't think that's an indefensible position

Ludens

Banned
The Win 10 2% is composed by all people who bought the game using the 3 dollars or whatever exploit from the foreign store.

Jonm1010

Banned
For anybody who still thinks Xbox is meeting sales expectations.

*Sobs*
That game alone would of got me to buy an Xbox ONE or risk the Windows Store.

Microsoft is just fucking up so bad recently.

It's kinda amazing though how a company can continually fuck up in so many areas and still be so powerful that it really doesn't matter too much.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Looking at the article, three main observations:

1) The top-down imposition seems to be pretty clear from the beginning of the project. It's obvious the initial reveal focused on Smartglass when that was still a thing. We know from CBOAT that there was a strong internal mandate for Smartglass stuff in the run-up to the launch and this gives us another data point. Knowing that Harrison said it had to be SaaS while Spencer said it had to have a single player campaign is another example of the confused direction. And we also have our first data point about Windows 10 being imposed unconditionally on developers to the detriment of the game design (Set aside my broader beef with UWP; Windows 10 is clearly a bad move for F2P games. F2P games do well by having the lowest possible spec requirements, lowest possible download barrier to entry. You do well on F2P by drawing in a huge huge audience. Not by limiting the size of your audience, doubly as the article points out). This jives with discussion we read from the Phantom Dust failure, that multiple managers tried to impose mutually contradictory demands on games being produced. It does sound like Harrison's tenure was pretty rocky because of the emphasis on Games as a Service not panning out. I wrote about Microsoft's history with F2P a few months ago

2) The disclosure about how MS first party software has tanked since MS platform numbers have tanked is unfortunate. There had been discussion before about Halo 5's numbers, but this is another data point that reinforces this. Nintendo also experienced this with the Wii U. The rising tide lifts all boats the same way the sinking tide sinks all boats. Bummer for the talented developers caught up in the middle of this.

3) I think the people quoted really have some delusions about their own studio's role in the process. Especially the person who claimed "if this failed we'd just dismantle the assets and use them to make Fable 4" seems pretty presumptuous. I get that the story is going to have some skew because it's interviewing disappointed and dejected people who feel robbed, but it's pretty obvious which parts are a realistic assignment of blame and which aren't.

With all the limitations on the software I'm not surprised. Hopefully they use this as a learning tool. I wonder if they've ever considered selling stuff for the price that they make after what they would have made after the other platforms would have taken their cut.

And this is remarkably terrible hyperbole. Outside of wide open mod support, the Win 10 store and UWP are perfectly fine. All of the other issues have been fixed or have been officially stated by Microsoft to be on a list of future fixes.

I own two games so far, including Quantum Break and while the game itself is mehhhh the UWP platform worked fine. This is a game that wasn't built for UWP either and has shit optimization. Nothing to do with UWP though. KI works GREAT!

Best of all I don't have to open a stupid bloated client to play them.

LOL no that's simply false it's rife with issues even just downloading games as somene else posted.

LordRaptor

I don't like Kelly Clarksons monopoly on singing about breakups, so I'm super glad drunken middle aged divorcées do karaoke

It's a remarkably terrible platform for PC games.

To be perfectly fair, it's not any more terrible than any existing console platform in general though.

In what way? Because I feel like games that cannot be patched no matter what you do seems to be way worse than any console platform.

I mean good and not good. I'm not a fan of steams near monopoly as a digital storefront in the PC space

mo·nop·o·ly

məˈnäpəlē
noun
the exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.
"his likely motive was to protect his regional monopoly on furs"

cakely

98%?

Wow. I expected a huge split, but that's incredible.

Windows 10 Store games need to die a quick death. Clearly, the only time they get purchased is when there is no other way to purchase them on PC.

Sophia

The store’s a mess; the number of people who couldn’t even install the game from the Microsoft store was… significant.

Fun fact: I had to do what was basically a reinstall of Windows 10 just to even download Killer Instinct off the store. All my data and settings were kept, because it was treated as an upgrade, but other than that it was basically a reinstall. The only reason I found out I had to do that was because of someone on Twitter informing me of what was going wrong from their own experiences with the same problem. Without them, I'd probably be at a loss as to why I couldn't download it.

It's simply unacceptable for a storefront accepting money to have issues like this. So it's no surprise that on top of the other issues regarding UWA games that people took their money elsewhere. : \

Zemm

Quantum Break being Windows 10 store exclusive is massively hurting it. I bet Remedy would love to release it on Steam.

Top Bottom