• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: 98% of PC Copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider Were Bought on Steam

danmaku

My only experience with the W10 store was trying to play Killer Instinct. It kept having a bunch of issues downloading, so I just gave up.

Same here, but I managed to download it in the end. Then I tried to buy it and it didn't work. I had to buy the x1 version and somehow the cross buy worked and unlocked my characters. Smh

lmimmfn

Good, UWP is awful and will remain awful. I would love to try the Microsoft games but wont give them a cent looking at how they want to control customers distributions.

They should be enablers for storefronts not competitive, at least from the gaming side. Windows Store would be fine for small apps like MSI Afterburner, Coretemp etc.

Quantum Break being Windows 10 store exclusive is massively hurting it. I bet Remedy would love to release it on Steam.

Seriously, the frustration levels at Remedy must be up to the 11 jimmies rustled per second.

First they "postponed" the PC version of Alan Wake just because (only to make Remedy tons of sales later when they got the okay to sell it on PC), then they fuck over their second game in a row, this time with slim to no chances of releasing on a platform worth shit to anyone.

I dump on Microsoft all the time, in fact just did 2 mins ago in another thread.

I prefer GFWL and Win 10 and Origin over Steam and my opinion has been consistent for 6 years and that grates people but I'm anything but a Zedox clone. Don't cherry pick.

I could see why anyone would prefer GFWL over Steam (I did too). Although, i fail to see how can anyone can prefer Win 10 Store over Steam.

No need to discredit people via personal attacks. I think anyone preferring GFWL over a rabbit turd is a bit much. But they're welcome to their opinion.

And this is remarkably terrible hyperbole. Outside of wide open mod support, the Win 10 store and UWP are perfectly fine. All of the other issues have been fixed or have been officially stated by Microsoft to be on a list of future fixes.

I own two games so far, including Quantum Break and while the game itself is mehhhh the UWP platform worked fine. This is a game that wasn't built for UWP either and has shit optimization. Nothing to do with UWP though. KI works GREAT!

Best of all I don't have to open a stupid bloated client to play them.

Even if these issues are fixed, the damage has been done perception wise. It's like how there was really no coming back for Xbox One sales wise even though they did a 180 on a bunch of policies that hurt them since the announcement. Microsoft should have let this platform cook in the oven alot longer before taking it out and serving it to consumers.

Ruff

I wonder how many people bought it n the Windows Store for like 3$ worth of rupees the week it came out

Not at all surprised by this news as Steam is the commanding marketplace for PC games. Anyone who thought Windows Store sales would've been higher than this is just fooling themselves.

Hopefully this news serves as a wake-up call to Microsoft to ramp up their efforts to make more effective and meaningful changes to the Windows Store and UWP quicker. It's 2016 and coming out with such a barebones environment like they have is downright embarrassing for a company such as Microsoft.

ps3ud0

The argument about that its expected as PC gamers love Steam seems an oversimplification.

Steam wasnt that good at the start (I hated it) but it was the first major attempt at gaming digital distribution and took some time (years) to get where it is today, the problem is that it gets away with so much stuff because it is so damn popular (and also IMO because how its been developed over the years that theres certain amount of accepted inertia from Valve). I think a lot of PC gamers are aware of that...

The problem is for Win10Store/UWP paradigm is that its just not acceptable to make something thats obviously worse than Steam and qualify it as a competitor. That hasnt worked for other distribution platforms in the past and most have had to ensure they have better policies than Steam to be at least an attractive alternative. GoG has its DRM free; Humble Bundle has its ridiculous pricing; and Origin has its far better customer service: I cant think of something for uPlay - I still ignore it...

You could just argue that because BF4 is only on Origin thats why it survives and I cant really disagree thats not partially the case. This means in reality for MS that it needs to do better than Steam with its policies, just getting to the same level or even below it makes its effort worthless and even moreso this current state of 'improving/evolving' (hell it was only acceptable when Steam was the only thing trying this).

Treating PC gamers as if they are mobile OS users was also a really dumb mistake. Really should have built UWP with the idea of PC games, not just shoehorn them in and hope it works...

ps3ud0 8)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
But I'm sure MS will eventually make it close to the quality of what steam offers. I doubt they'll ever get where steam is but look at how they've improved the x1 interface?

How does getting "close to" benefit anyone?

As a consumer, why would I ever choose to use a storefront that's inferior to the competition. Getting close to isn't enough. Getting equal isn't enough. If they want to attract customers, they need to provide a reason for them to switch, they need to *exceed* the competition, offer things above and beyond, otherwise why would anyone give a shit?

I could see why anyone would prefer GFWL over Steam (I did too). Although, i fail to see how can anyone can prefer Win 10 Store over Steam.
Take QB as an example...the game in development how many years? 4, 5? It wasn't built for UWP or Win 10 store. Same with Rise of Tomb Raider. The issues these games have, save for this downloading problem mentioned in the op (I didn't experience but I've only DL two games), I don't believe are due to UWP or the store. It's the games and the fact that UWP and store were shoed into them rather than built from the start. Whats your opinion on that? I haven't heard a good counterpoint to that yet but I'm open minded and all ears.

harSon

Banned
And that's why you're going to be forced to purchase all first party titles on the Windows 10 store. Even if Microsoft had its shit together, and there was complete parity between Win32 and UWP - with no exploitative controversy by Microsoft weighing in the back of gamer's minds... the breakdown would STILL be disgustingly lopsided in favor of Steam if consumers had a choice between the two store fronts.

People who want close platform Windows and Pre 180 Xbox one?

Closed ecosystem Windows was never going to happen but I unironically think that pre 180 Xbox One would have been thousand times better product than the half assed one we got in the end.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeeaaah, I wish there was a valid alternative to Steam, but Windows Store is absolutely not it. I really don't even know why anyone would bother with it.

So the only example you cited in response is the download progress bar not moving and showing the progress and then added in a "just do a search and Durante Durante Durante". That's not sufficient.

You said it was not true...it is, and there are many issues, if you are too lazy to seach them fine, but they exist and are well documented. I am not going to reguritate and search for you if you want to bury your head in the sand.

Zedox

I dump on Microsoft all the time, in fact just did 2 mins ago in another thread.

I prefer GFWL and Win 10 and Origin over Steam and my opinion has been consistent for 6 years and that grates people but I'm anything but a Zedox clone. Don't cherry pick.

You clearly don't know the type of person I am. But go on.

Take QB as an example...the game in development how many years? 4, 5? It wasn't built for UWP or Win 10 store. Same with Rise of Tomb Raider. The issues these games have, save for this downloading problem mentioned in the op (I didn't experience but I've only DL two games), I don't believe are due to UWP or the store. It's the games and the fact that UWP and store were shoed into them rather than built from the start. Whats your opinion on that? I haven't heard a good counterpoint to that yet but I'm open minded and all ears.

Game troubles aside:
-The store itself has a shit ergonomy and is lacking a shiton of basic features
-The store policies are anti-consumer: Only place to buy UWP is Windows 10 Store. You can't redownloaded games removed from the service.

Now about Game troubles:
If it wasn't meant for gaming, then why trying to shoehorn it in the first place ?

Quantum Break being Windows 10 store exclusive is massively hurting it. I bet Remedy would love to release it on Steam.

Also, Quantum Break costs €70 in Finland (and all of Europe), which is fucking ludicrous. There is no game on Steam that costs €70 (regular version, not digital deluxe stuff).

I bought a retail disc of Doom for €48 day one, and it's €60 on Steam which is already overpriced. Asking €70 for a PC game is just nuts.

Honey Bunny

If somebody gifted me a game I wanted on the Win Store I still would not play it. Get it up to the standard of even a Uplay and I'd give it a chance.

Caayn

I wonder how other stores such as Uplay and Origin fare against Steam with games that are launched on both at the same time.

Count me as one of the (few) people who isn't that bothered by the Windows Store. I've got a handful of games on it (ROTTR (I paid full price, I didn't abuse the Ukrainian price), GoW:UE, Forza, KI, Halo SA, Halo SS).

Nzyme32

Which I think is bullshit

Origin has only existed for 5 years, GFWL doesn't even function, and Win10 hasn't been around long enough either

You said it was not true...it is, and there are many issues, if you are too lazy to seach them fine, but they exist and are well documented. I am not going to reguritate and search for you if you want to bury your head in the sand.
You said it's "rife with issues" and yet you can't cite even a few?? The one you cite is the download progress not being accurate. Please...
You clearly don't know the type of person I am. But go on.
Sorry that was a low blow. It was intended to be in a half joking manner but you're right...legit SORRY man.

LordRaptor

I think your erection from this recent information is depleting your brain of oxygen.

6GbrHcb.png

stay classy UWA Defence Force

Game troubles aside:
-The store itself has a shit ergonomy and is lacking a shiton of basic features
-The store policies are anti-consumer: Only place to buy UWP is Windows 10 Store. You can't redownloaded games removed from the service.

Now about Game troubles:
If it wasn't meant for gaming, then why trying to shoehorn it in the first place ?
somehow its the games being change to UWP being the problem...

its not an issue apparently the UWP cannot at all handle things like multi GPU rendering

Which I think is bullshit

Origin has only existed for 5 years, GFWL doesn't even function, and Win10 hasn't been around long enough either
wut
I'm not going to make a separate sentence for each one listing the date... Such a bizarrely literal way to read that sentence .

Neo_Geo

Banned
Instead of making the smart move and releasing their games on Steam as well as the Windows Store, MS will probably just say PC is a failure and put less Xbox IP's onto Windows.

Nokterian

The Windows Store is a giant disaster. It’s on fire. 98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam.

He look why am i not surprised? It is still a mess and people will buy on steam no matter what also microsoft being microsoft.

Well not necessarily. QB only came out on the Windows Store, there wasn't an option to play it on Steam like there was with Tomb Raider.

It was a giant disaster on PC. I love remedy games from a longtime PC gamers perspective. But that release on that storefront soured how I feel about them. And I'm low key man. I get it. Sometimes shit doesn't work. But that mess is shameful.

Yes it is too. I mean, the issue is double: The UWP format and the Store itself.
Microsoft is billing UWP as a fix to a problem that never existed. I can suffer through store hiccups if the software is fine. I run Bnet, origin, uplay, gog galaxy, and of course steam. I wont buy anything that is a UWP because they are inherently broken due to the format

You said it's "rife with issues" and yet you can't cite even a few?? The one you cite is the download progress not being accurate. Please...

Sorry that was a low blow. It was intended to be in a half joking manner but you're right...legit SORRY man.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5818/and-the-biggest-problem-with-windows-10-is

It has improved a bit but is still a mess. It is lacking a tonne of features that steam and other store fronts have/

http://betanews.com/2016/02/26/beware-windows-store-games-have-serious-limitations/

A quick google search/.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Wind...-app-store-is-infested-with-fake-apps_id78106

It is also poorly designed.

Zedox

No worries man. :) I just like discussing stuff. Unlike others, I want to see it succeed because I know Steam will make better stuff and hopefully they see that they need exclusive stuff and when that happens...HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED (Yes, this plan must succeed so we can have HL3, my devious plan).

wapplew

Instead of making the smart move and releasing their games on Steam as well as the Windows Store, MS will probably just say PC is a failure and put less Xbox IP's onto Windows.

No way.
Outside first party, who else going to push their store? Releasing first party on the store is the only move they have to promote the store.

Top Bottom