• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Crytek Not Paying Staff On Time, Ryse Sequel Dropped

Raide

Ryse with deeper combat mechanics, add some rpg elemrents in it, a dash of loot collecting and it would be much better. The initial showing of the game put people off but the actual game was not that bad. A little simplified perhaps but what hack n slash game is not?

MS needs to buy the IP and get a Japanese developer on it like FromSoft haha.

Ryse with deeper combat mechanics, add some rpg elemrents in it, a dash of loot collecting and it would be much better. The initial showing of the game put people off but the actual game was not that bad. A little simplified perhaps but what hack n slash game is not?

MS needs to buy the IP and get a Japanese developer on it like FromSoft haha.

The multiplayer has leveling and gear mechanics that make it surprisingly compelling. Add in some more weapon types and I think it could be a prety great package overall. Crytek was going after the F2P market and says they've completed the transition. Instead of making the generic CoD clone that Warface is, they could have made something along the lines of Warframe, but in the Ryse setting.

Sucks for the employees but it's a shame they decided to put their resources towards such a mediocre IP in the first place.

This reverence for the Ryse IP is crazy to me.

The game has a generic setting with a generic story and, importantly, a definitive ending. There's no evidence that Crytek, especially THIS messy Crytek, would have developed a great game after the awful first one.

It's a game devoid of content, interactivity and compelling gameplay being made by a team on a downwards spiral. But that's besides the point: the IP itself is not only generic, it's damaged goods.

Microsoft should make a medieval character action game if they'd like -- but there's no reason to chase a failed IP with a failed development schedule that launched a failure of a product.

"Ryse had a lot of potential" is as empty a statement as "Kinect has a lot of potential".

Bubsy 3D also had a lot of potential.

Launch title. It's the only explanation.

Sucks for the employees but it's a shame they decided to put their resources towards such a mediocre IP in the first place.

Launch title. It's the only explanation.

Publishers, especially platform holders, put resources toward mediocre IPs all the time, for various reasons. Ryse was kind of like Killzone in that respect, a decent game that was a technical showpiece first and foremost.

Still, it was an interesting IP. Not only is the ancient Rome underused in recent games, but the underlying concept - Project Kingdoms - held a lot of promise. I would have loved a sequel focusing on Temujin's Mongol Empire, for instance, or native people of both Americas, the early days of the Zulu Kingdom and so on. And one day maybe we could have even gotten a persistent online third person action game encompassing global conquests over a certain period of the human history.

But yeah, I guess Microsoft does't actually need the Ryse IP for that, although I'm sure they'd love to use the already established name.

jschreier

Overnight I heard from seven new people (both Crytek employees and friends of Crytek employees) all coming out to confirm everything we reported, in case anyone had doubts. Hopefully things get better over there.

Overnight I heard from seven new people (both Crytek employees and friends of Crytek employees) all coming out to confirm everything we reported, in case anyone had doubts. Hopefully things get better over there.

What are the chances that homefront 2 gets cancelled?

Damn those staff dinners must have been from a michelin star restaurant. Thats what happens when they waste their gaming budget on crunch dinners :p

If people aren't being paid, I wouldn't be an employee after the first paycheck was missed. Why would someone still want to work there?

Banned
Dumb question, but would cryteck go on sale as a studio before shutting down?
It would be like THQ in a way. Publishers would wait for them to go bankrupt, sell off the IP's and lay off all employees. Then publishers become like vultures picking at wht they want (talent, IP's and studios) at a discounted price.
If people aren't being paid, I wouldn't be an employee after the first paycheck was missed. Why would someone still want to work there?
Because there is always a hope you'll get all the paycheques back in a lump sum and it's hard to quit your job and go looking for a new one. You don't always know if missing a payday was a one time thing or if it will reoccur.

QaaQer

1)hope (buyout, injection, etc)
2)do not have another job to go to yet in field
3)don't want to let coworkers (kind of family) down

Anion

It would be like THQ in a way. Publishers would wait for them to go bankrupt, sell off the IP's and lay off all employees. Then publishers become like vultures picking at wht they want (talent, IP's and studios) at a discounted price.
Ah ok. Thanks

Matches with something a friend at crytek told me in March: A new game project was canceled in the middle of the recruiting process and Ryse 2 never even began development since Microsoft demanded platform exklusivety of the whole franchise - which crytek obviously didn't agree with.

Sentenza

"Instead of focusing on the core strengths of the company, which would be the [Crytek] engine and innovative PC titles, we simply jumped at every next big thing in the industry," said a Crytek employee. "Except that each time we did, it was a little too late and we were running after our competitors. There's no sense of identity at this point and I think that frustrates both employees and fans."
This was the most interesting quote in the article for me.
Apparently even many employees weren't too fond with the shift in focus.

Loginius

If you go too soon and it was a one time thing chance is you wont get hired anywhere anymore because youre known for leaving ship early.
If you wait too long and shit hits the fan you loose a lot of money.

Would love a ryse 2 , I just hope they don't give it to ninja theory or something and totally screw it up.

Either way we need more games set in Rome , still the best looking xbox one game IMO .

CTLance

Thankees!

Man, I pity the poor grunts. Hope they find employment elsewhere, Crytek sounds like some sort of Dilbertesque hell on earth.

Matches with something a friend at crytek told me in March: A new game project was canceled in the middle of the recruiting process and Ryse 2 never even began development since Microsoft demanded platform exklusivety of the whole franchise - which crytek obviously didn't agree with.

Why would they go with Microsoft as publisher in the first place if they didn't want to be exclusive? I find that hard to believe...

Our sources suggest MS wanted to own the IP, seems much more likely that was the issue than it being exclusive to Xbox One

PnCIa

For german gamers Crytek is a major studio to be proud of...pretty much the only one that actually makes huge games like Crysis or Ryse.
They tried to get big way to fast, and they stopped doing what they do best :-(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, if you're going to snobbishly insist on distributing through Origin rather than Steam, that is your comeuppance.

Sorry for the staffers, though.

Crytek's indifference towards DD is baffling.

- No Crysis 3: Maximum Edition on Steam (I'm assuming this is possible due to the reappearance of Crysis 2 on Steam as an all-inclusive Maximum Edition)
- Second Sight, which has become a prized curio in the Steam trading scene, isn't available anywhere despite rights reverting back to Crytek almost two years ago
- Homefront is no longer available anywhere despite Crytek buying the IP and the original game itself from THQ almost 18 months ago

jschreier

I have zero clue, sorry. A couple of people told me the game wasn't in good shape, but this is game development: big games don't really seem to take proper shape until they're a few months out.

Obviously it's worrying if all the developers are leaving the company, but like I said before, anything could happen.

Other people have addressed this well, but yeah, lots of reasons: loyalty, friendship, belief that things will change, inability to just leave and immediately find new employment, contractual issues (some people told me they had to give two months notice before leaving), etc.

Why would they go with Microsoft as publisher in the first place if they didn't want to be exclusive? I find that hard to believe...

Our sources suggest MS wanted to own the IP, seems much more likely that was the issue than it being exclusive to Xbox One

I don't know. Seems like MS supported them with the first Ryse to have a good exclusive launch game but at the same time they demanded exclusivity for all future sequels. This might have been a good deal for crytek at the time development for the first Ryse began but things have changed significantly since then. All the controversies and disappointing sales of the xbone may have convinced yerli it's not worth the risk. He wanted to transform crytek into a f2p company either way. Which was always a damn risky plan.

Genio88

That's a shame! I loved Ryse and i'd like a sequel...i hope these rumors are wrong, anyway microsoft do something for Ryse 2!

crozier

Going Origin was the kiss of death. They're a PC company that decided to ignore most of the PC community. Have they even made anything recently besides Crysis 3?

It will probably be bought as a whole (trademark, current development and Crytek UK) rather than be cancelled. I've just checked some gameplay footage out, and while I'm sceptical of Crytek as a whole, it does look extremely impressive. I'm sure there are several publishers who would want an open world FPS like this, and Deep Silver would be my first choice who have been expanding pretty rapidly with some smart decisions in the last few years.

Dumb question, but would cryteck go on sale as a studio before shutting down?

Yeah; the likelihood is that other companies will wait for Crytek for go bankrupt and cherry pick the pieces they want. Crytek as a whole probably isn't a good investment as it stands (far too bloated and probably a number of projects they should just axe now), but they've got a few valuable IPs and some studios who could be an asset.

For german gamers Crytek is a major studio to be proud of...pretty much the only one that actually makes huge games like Crysis or Ryse.
They tried to get big way to fast, and they stopped doing what they do best :-(

I feel you pal. In the last 10-15 years a number of major UK studios have closed down. There are a few that still remain, but most have been bought out. I'd rather that of course than they go out of business, but the independent scene in the UK is really a shadow of itself two, three, four generations ago.

BibiMaghoo

As someone that worked in payroll for quite some time, I can tell you that these things do happen without any other meaning. Assuming there was an error with the payroll, a supplementary payroll can be run but this can take a few days to input, check an roll out. Another alternative is to raise manual payments for those affected, which is a considerable amount of work if the employee numbers are high.

However, there is a 0% chance that no one would communicate this to the staff effected, unless they are completely incompetent. My point was simply that walking out on the first day you were not paid, would result in many places sacking you for leaving, because an error on payroll does not give you any right to leave.

It will probably be bought as a whole (trademark, current development and Crytek UK) rather than be cancelled. I've just checked some gameplay footage out, and while I'm sceptical of Crytek as a whole, it does look extremely impressive. I'm sure there are several publishers who would want an open world FPS like this, and Deep Silver would be my first choice who have been expanding pretty rapidly with some smart decisions in the last few years.

Yeah; the likelihood is that other companies will wait for Crytek for go bankrupt and cherry pick the pieces they want. Crytek as a whole probably isn't a good investment as it stands (far too bloated and probably a number of projects they should just axe now), but they've got a few valuable IPs and some studios who could be an asset.

I feel you pal. In the last 10-15 years a number of major UK studios have closed down. There are a few that still remain, but most have been bought out. I'd rather that of course than they go out of business, but the independent scene in the UK is really a shadow of itself two, three, four generations ago.

True I can see Deep Silver picking it up i hope that game is good.

Going with Origin and Xbone couldn't have helped them much. Though I'm not going to pretend I've ever enjoyed one of their games. They always seem like soulless tech demos. Hope their staff relocates painlessly.

monome

Ryse had excellent visual design.

gameplay/story were serviceable.

I was too looking for a sequel...le sighhh...

Renekton

Crytek's indifference towards DD is baffling.

- No Crysis 3: Maximum Edition on Steam (I'm assuming this is possible due to the reappearance of Crysis 2 on Steam as an all-inclusive Maximum Edition)
- Second Sight, which has become a prized curio in the Steam trading scene, isn't available anywhere despite rights reverting back to Crytek almost two years ago
- Homefront is no longer available anywhere despite Crytek buying the IP and the original game itself from THQ almost 18 months ago
The causality is really unclear though. Did they lose significant sales because of not selling on Steam? Did they lose sales because of focusing on consoles? etc etc

Some of it doesn't make sense. Origin titles sell pretty okay, and Crysis 3 is still the premier game for showcasing your 780Ti 4790K

prag16

Banned
Providing "hah you deserve it" comments fueled by such a fanboy-level reasoning is embarrassing, you know.

Heh. People throw in the token "but oh yeah it sucks for the employees, etc" comment to try to give legitimacy to any comment they make before/after that.

Hell, in this case, the employees are probably largely BETTER OFF!

Sounds like dozens or even over a hundred left entirely on their own to pursue other (possibly better) opportunities. And for those who were let go against their wishes, well, everything seems to point to a pretty toxic environment worth moving on from anyhow.

My company has undergone over a 50% staff reduction over the past couple years. I'm still here, but believe me, many people who were let go are far happier and far better off now (anecdotally at least).

It just seems silly sometimes that everyone feels obligated to throw in the token "oh it sucks for the employees" line (regardless of whether they're doing it to be genuine, or to take the "edge" off an otherwise trollish or inflammatory post).

"Layoffs suck" goes without saying, and even then, as I said it's not always all bad.

They really should have split into two different companies, as others have done in the past. One for the technology and one for the games. That way both sides of the business are protected from the other.

Top Bottom