• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Crytek Not Paying Staff On Time, Ryse Sequel Dropped

abadguy

Banned
I'm tempted to say that Sony should bankroll Ryse 2 as an exclusive and have it turn out much better. A unique marketing opportunity to say the least.
This has been said a few times in this thead and i find it odd. If Ryse is such a " bad " game why would people want Sony to go after the IP. Secondly if they don't want to sell it to MS why would they sell it to Sony?

Paz

It must be horrendous for the people who crunched so hard to see their game release to sub-par acclaim and now the studio is falling apart :(

That's a recipe for people not just leaving the company, but leaving the industry.

hawk2025

This has been said a few times in this thead and i find it odd. If Ryse is such a " bad " game why would people want Sony to go go after the IP. Secondly if they don't want to sell it to MS why would they sell it to Sony?

I have no idea why people are saying that either, it makes exactly zero sense.

MavFan619

Banned
Hopefully Scalebound will show people what an action game is *actually* supposed to play like! :p
Oh Platinum will get that done, Ryse never looked (outside of graphics) all that great to me. Then again the action games I liked tend to come from Japanese devs.

I'm tempted to say that Sony should bankroll Ryse 2 as an exclusive and have it turn out much better. A unique marketing opportunity to say the least.

Who is to say it would turn out better? This is a ridiculous suggestion, for many reasons. The most important being that if MS seemingly can't get the IP off Crytek what makes you think Sony can? Sony like to own the IP on the titles they publish which should be clear at this point...

blakep267

Since when do you have to play something start to finish to not like it? I didn't play it start to finish because I was too bored to finish it.

because I thought the first 3 chapters were garbage but thought the last 4 were great. Sometimes games come together you know. There are countless games that Ive started out and hated but came to love them by the end. Would you take somebodies opinion seriously if they only played 45 minutes of a 8 hour game and said it sucked? This isn't a restaurant where after the first bite you can tell how the rest is going to be

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yes.

In a standard publishing contract between a publisher and an independent developer, it works like this:

1.) The developer is paid in development milestones (first prototype, vertical slice, entering production, pre-alpha, alpha, beta, release, etc) where they get X million dollars to make a certain part of the game. The publisher pays 100% of these costs.

2.) When the game releases, the publisher gets 100% of all money the game earns, as almost all independent development is done with no royalties or royalty conditions that are basically impossible to hit.

3.) Sometimes there are bonuses for quality or project completion, but they're generally marginal and can only float a studio for a month's worth of staying open at most.

4.) Hugely prestigious developers like Bungie, Epic, or Respawn get deals where they share revenue and get great bonuses, but those are the extreme exception to the rule. Just assume that unless the publisher explicitly states they're doing a bonus/margin setup, that the developer isn't getting any extra money after the game gets gold.

5.) Due to this, an independent developer has to have another project signed up with a publisher to start immediately when the game they are working on goes gold as otherwise they will have to shut down.

This is why being more than like 10 people in a garage as an independent developer is extremely difficult, and most such studios have shut down or sold themselves to a publisher.

All entirely correct, but the real problem comes when a studio gets bigger and the "burn-rate" (running costs, meeting payroll etc.) becomes such that even a couple of months hold-up signing a contract can put them into the red.

This is the hidden cost of the collapse of the "B"-tier games market. Its extraordinarily difficult to grow beyond a certain point because the increase in head-count required places additional stress on maintaining income.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Sad to hear this, but it just confirms they're not the same company that gained my support with Crysis. I've always hoped they would go back to that, but even if these are all just rumors the odds of that happening is looking less and less likely with their approach to FTP.

I just watched an interview with Cevat Yerli last night from Gamescon 2011 and he was talking about Crysis 2, FTP and their vision for the future of the company. It's hard to argue with what he was saying because he seemed pretty passionate about, but their execution and management of things has caused a lot of damage. They seem to be a company more geared toward single player games, yet they seem hell bent on multiplayer and FTP while letting the quality of the types of games they were once good at significantly drop in quality. This was something he specifically mentioned about Crysis 2 and they did little to address the problem. If they didn't ruin that IP with Crysis 2, they certainly sealed it with Crysis 3. They're also a company known for pushing graphics, so that's another hurdle they'll have to overcome w/FTP. When you add all of this together it just doesn't make sense, at least not with the way they've managed things so far.

This has been said a few times in this thead and i find it odd. If Ryse is such a " bad " game why would people want Sony to go after the IP. Secondly if they don't want to sell it to MS why would they sell it to Sony?

It's just typical fanboy agenda. Game is bad? Give the IP to the company's direct competition! That guarantees a 100% is going to be better.

Karak

Well the same rumor mill stated clearly that MS wanted to fund a sequel but wanted the entire IP. So not sure how we suddenly have the same rumors but we only believe half of them can can't fathom them buying the IP especially at what would most likely be an even more reduced cost. Believe only half the shit day today or something.
It should actually be believe none of the shit day:) Crytek doing great flush with cash!

Do you guys honestly want a sequel to Ryse or are you just craving some game that scratches the Spartacus, Gladiator itch regardless of if it was relatively mediocre? It reminds me of when everyone was hoping there was going to be some secret reveal of Heavenly Sword 2. Really?

Karak

Do you guys honestly want a sequel to Ryse or are you just craving some game that scratches the Spartacus, Gladiator itch regardless of if it was relatively mediocre. It reminds me of when everyone was hoping there was going to be some secret reveal of Heavenly Sword 2. Really?

Absofuckinglutely I want one. That game on Hard was fucking so much fun. Opinions brother.
Some people don't like Taimak but we know better.

Nokterian

Crytek keep denying is sad very sad and also those people not getting money to buy food and pay there bills hurts to read it. I hate it when people lose there jobs but Crytek has done nothing good to be honest in the past couple of years. Homefront is not something i would buy full price. There free to play games are not attractive even to play it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interesting. Crytek probably should've been spending their time on IP that they themselves own, then (why they didn't do a better job with Crysis I'll never know - the first game showed such potential).

It doesn't matter though if they can't fund their own games.

Redshirt

Banned
I definitely want a sequel to Ryse.

I enjoyed the SP game a lot, and would like to see that combat concept expanded, either in a new setting (knights or samurai) or again in Rome.

I especially enjoyed the MP game. That was one of the freshest co-op experiences in a while. Imperfect, sure, but definitely on to something great.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, I hope Crytek makes it. Homefront better be good.

Do you guys honestly want a sequel to Ryse or are you just craving some game that scratches the Spartacus, Gladiator itch regardless of if it was relatively mediocre? It reminds me of when everyone was hoping there was going to be some secret reveal of Heavenly Sword 2. Really?

I liked Heavenly Sword :( and want a sequel.

TrueGrime

Ryse was a game I was skeptical about but as I played it, grew to love. Definitely still ranks as one of the best looking X1 games. Bummer that there won't be a sequel.

Who said Ryse was bad? Who said Sony should pick it up?

SOLIDDDD

Banned
Ryse was fun and worth the $20 I paid for it, but I wouldn't have been satisfied with the game had l paid full price. Great graphics, fun story, but very dull and tiresome gameplay.

TrueGrime

Relatively mediocre to whom? Some people actually enjoyed the game and well worth the time spent playing it.

Evrae

Banned
Their releases have been getting more and more lackluster and weirder with every new game.

Quality dropping off dramatically, and direction going into strange places with inane focuses.

Crysis and Warhead were their pinnacles really. Then they decided they had to make console games with Crysis 2, 3 and Ryse.

Here you go fellas. Cater to the mass audience demographic.

You deserve everything that's coming to you.

Hope engine sales save you to some degree. Otherwise you're straight up getting bought by EA, and taken out to pasture to die with Bioware, Bullfrog, Westwood, Maxis, etc. etc. do I need go on.

Rumblings of Crytek's troubles started this weekend, but my story has a ton of details you won't find anywhere else, based on extensive conversations with 10+ current and former employees over the past few weeks.

Great reporting, thanks for the story.

It's really strange to me that Crytek would want to pivot to F2P titles. It would be like Nintendo wanting to make a Mortal Kombat game; it's just so contrary to what Crytek excels at.

antitrop

Hahahaha, sounds about right.

I don't see much incentive for Sony to do that; particularly when there would be the same IP ownership point of contention. They've already got a few different games in the swords and sorcery combat action genre (admittedly all bar GoW are currently dormant), so I don't see why they would have any interest in Ryse 2: Ryse Harder. It would be a very expensive middle finger to MS.

Oculus should buy Crytek, and make them work on AAA PC VR games and experiences, as well as supporting the engine for licencees.

That's actually a really great idea. Facebook certainly have the money to support a company like Crytek, and the could make amazing VR experiences.

If I were a betting man and Crytek go bankrupt, I reckon MS will buy Ryse, Deep Silver will buy Homefront along with the UK studio, and Wargaming will buy Warface and its Ukrainian development studio. Not sure what would happen with the Frankfurt HQ or CryEngine though. Don't know enough about the other studios to comment on them.

Clefargle

Exactly, why would you do a sequel to something that flopped so badly?

And I mean with reviewers, I don't know if the game sold well.. Frankly don't give a shit, either.

This is a company who amazed everyone 8 years ago (I think) with the benchmark standard that was crysis..

Let's see a whole new ip. Fuck homefront, seriously..

Pretty much this, glad you see it the same way.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Hopefully the employees land safely somewhere.

Crytek are among my least favorite "big" developers though, so I won't be shedding a tear if they do go down. Sell the Crysis IP to someone competent, Ryse too.

Prine

Banned
I demand a Ryse sequel, the game did a great job at exaggerating brutality, its one of my favourite launch titles. And I dont think ive said "xbox record that" as much for any other game

DieH@rd

Banned
I wish Crytek would have made another Crysis. That series had so much potential that the sequels never realized...

They killed Nomad in a fucking comic that came out after Crysis 1, and then they never mentioned him again in games. They even tried their hardest to almost never mention the original island where aliens were awakened.

Ubersnug

Right Phil, here's your chance. Ride in and save Ryse. By the IP and give the studio some money to keep their employees paid!

antitrop

I actually want both Heavenly Sword 2 and Ryse 2. Does this blow your mind? :)

Yup, sure does. I enjoyed Heavenly Sword waaaaaaaay more than most people, I felt like I was the only one who liked it at launch, but I could not possibly give a fuck less about a potential sequel.

Seems only yesterday this was a tongue-in-cheek joke instead of a depressingly prescient sentiment.

rysex6ovq.png

because I thought the first 3 chapters were garbage but thought the last 4 were great. Sometimes games come together you know.

That's a massive fault with the game if almost the first half is shite, but it massively improves by the end. Nobody should be expected to play through 3 mediocre hours for the promise of 4 good ones at the end of it.

There are countless games that Ive started out and hated but came to love them by the end.[

"Countless" -- really?!

Would you take somebodies opinion seriously if they only played 45 minutes of a 8 hour game and said it sucked? This isn't a restaurant where after the first bite you can tell how the rest is going to be

I think you can get a pretty good idea of the quality of a fun, shallow action game in the first hour or so. Besides you said 3 chapters out of 7 were "garbage" and then insinuate these presumptuous people are forming their opinions after three quarters of an hour. Which is it?

Yes, I'd like to see another Ryse specifically. The combat and command choices had real potential, the storytelling worked, and the Colosseum was fantastic. There's a real kernel of greatness there to be explored.

I also loved Heavenly Sword, and I got my Heavenly Sword 2 on as well, only it was called DmC.

That's actually a really great idea. Facebook certainly have the money to support a company like Crytek, and the could make amazing VR experiences.

Gimme some of dat tropical beach/forest goodness @ 95 fps on an Oculus CV1. Don't need a shootbang either, just some cryengine 3 foliage goodness swaying around. Can't imagine what that would be like in VR using their tall grass tech from Crysis 3. Hnnng. Do it Zuckerberg...DO IT.

antitrop

I also loved Heavenly Sword, and I got my Heavenly Sword 2 on as well, only it was called DmC.

Heavenly Sword had good VO, a good script, and interesting characters. DmC really had none of that, I only enjoyed it for the gameplay. It had none of what made Heavenly Sword cool.

Top Bottom