• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Crytek Not Paying Staff On Time, Ryse Sequel Dropped

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Right Phil, here's your chance. Ride in and save Ryse. By the IP and give the studio some money to keep their employees paid!

Don't see the value at all.

It didn't exactly blow the doors off of anything in sales, marketshare or mindshare.

I think this is an IP that needs to live in a ditch next to Blinx, Azurik and Bloodwake.

Come to think of it. Maybe they should bring Bloodwake back. Loved that game.

Yes, I'd like to see another Ryse specifically. The combat and command choices had real potential, the storytelling worked, and the Colosseum was fantastic. There's a real kernel of greatness there to be explored.

I also loved Heavenly Sword, and I got my Heavenly Sword 2 on as well, only it was called DmC.

That doesn't count, though, since no Nariko
(SHE CAN'T BE DEAD!!!)

Nibel

It didn't exactly blow the doors off of anything in sales, marketshare or mindshare.

I think this is an IP that needs to live in a ditch next to Blinx, Azurik and Bloodwake.

Forget Bloodwake; Vodoo Vince is where it's at

Yes, I'd like to see another Ryse specifically. The combat and command choices had real potential, the storytelling worked, and the Colosseum was fantastic. There's a real kernel of greatness there to be explored.

I also loved Heavenly Sword, and I got my Heavenly Sword 2 on as well, only it was called DmC.

How odd I don't think HS and DmC had anything remotely in common

I actually want both Heavenly Sword 2 and Ryse 2. Does this blow your mind? :)

Ha no, I think for anyone that liked HS that much it only makes perfect sense that Ryse is right up their alley

Apathy

This is a tough one for Crytek. If they chose to sell of the Ryse IP to MS then what they will be left with won't really attract a company to buy them out completely, and instead they will have to sell off the other individual IP's which does not always work or generate enough cash. In this case the studio closes. If they keep the IP, then they should get more interest but only from a company that could afford to buy out a whole studio and then it's a toss up of if they want to keep the studio open or just bought it for the IP's again.

Some ex crytek guys need to band together and give us the crysis spiritual sequel we deserve

They could call it 'Chayos', and have to give it a shitty final act as their trademark!

Actually, I would really like Crysis to have a reboot or another chance. Maybe make a proper sequel and retcon 2 and 3 out of there. Maybe give it to a different studio, or keep it within the Frankfurt studio but have a competent team or producer making the important decisions. Based on the Crysis series I think Crytek have capable designers, but whoever's making the decisions needs to be stripped of that position (probably Cevat Yerli). I loved the ideas and gameplay and tone if the first game, and I even quite enjoyed the big alien reveal. I'd gladly see another, but if needs to take place in a remote location, mostly against human enemies and have the aliens in the background as this foreboding threat. Edit - the aliens should also remain as Matrix-style squids, so they look and feel very different to the human enemies.

The multipart weapon combat with quick switching with its brand of colorful enemy weaknesses and immunities.

DmC is not a direct HS2 of course, but its along those lines on a gameplay standpoint, and its the closest thing I think we're going to get. It also had an incredible art style and insane environments.

Ryse is something that at least deserves some quality time to flesh out its barebone mechanics (everything besides the actual hack and slash bits - those work, and work well). And a Colosseum version 2 would be incredible, no doubt.

The multipart weapon combat with quick switching with its brand of colorful enemy weaknesses and immunities.

DmC is not a direct HS2 of course, but its along those lines on a gameplay standpoint, and its the closest thing I think we're going to get. It also had an incredible art style and insane environments.

Ryse is something that at least deserves some quality time to flesh out its barebone mechanics (everything besides the actual hack and slash bits - those work, and work well). And a Colosseum version 2 would be incredible, no doubt.

4-player co-op and chariots please.

ZSeba

They could call it 'Chayos', and have to give it a shitty final act as their trademark!

Actually, I would really like Crysis to have a reboot or another chance. Maybe make a proper sequel and retcon 2 and 3 out of there. Maybe give it to a different studio, or keep it within the Frankfurt studio but have a competent team or producer making the important decisions. Based on the Crysis series I think Crytek have capable designers, but whoever's making the decisions needs to be stripped of that position (probably Cevat Yerli). I loved the ideas and gameplay and tone if the first game, and I even quite enjoyed the big alien reveal. I'd gladly see another, but if needs to take place in a remote location, mostly against human enemies and have the aliens in the background as this foreboding threat.

Yeah but didn't the talent responsible for crysis and warhead already leave crytek? ( I seriously don't know)

Yeah I could see that. Good point

Lady Gaia

DmC is not a direct HS2 of course, but its along those lines on a gameplay standpoint, and its the closest thing I think we're going to get.

What a shame. I got DmC for free on PS+ and I can't bring myself to see beyond the dreadful mysogynist overtones suffusing everything. Trading integrity and respect for their audience for juvenile pandering makes me hope for a Heavenly Sword revival from another studio.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I want a medieval Ryse sequel with a better story.

What about better gameplay? I didn't play it but it seemed to be lacking in that department. I do like the idea of a non-Japanese semi-realistic cinematic third-person sword-and-shield hack n' slash linear adventure, but it didn't seem to be pulled off well in this case.

Sad to see these events occuring.

The closure of Free Radical marked the end of my 15 years in the games industry. I've not gone back and don't miss any of this kind of bullshit. That said, I don't regret a single day either. I lived my dreams.

I feel so bad for the Free Radicals that made a new home at Crytek, this must feel like history repeating.

But, when a slowpoke like Karl Hilton has the sense to get out, that speaks volumes. It's no surprise to me to see that the studio that he 'managed' gets this sort of feedback at Glassdoor.com.

As for hopes of Timesplitters - personally, I'm highly doubtful. Despite the fondness for the IP the games barely broke even for Free Radical. The years have gone by and the stature of the brand against today's games is less than it was. A shame as it was a blast and, god knows, we need some goofiness in the FPS genre.

Hopefully Crytek will see this episode through.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The part about late or partial paychecks to the employees is horrible, and sickeningly familiar. I never worked for the video game industry, but ten years ago I experienced this at my place of work, and it's a surefire sign that the company is falling down really hard. Even worse considering the denials (and the allegations of the bosses driving their Ferraris and spending on luxuries are just sickening, and once again all-too-familiar). Unless they get bought out, I'd say things are looking really, really bad for Crytek. I wouldn't care personally, not a fan of their games, but I feel sorry for the employees.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
This reverence for the Ryse IP is crazy to me.

The game has a generic setting with a generic story and, importantly, a definitive ending. There's no evidence that Crytek, especially THIS messy Crytek, would have developed a great game after the awful first one.

It's a game devoid of content, interactivity and compelling gameplay being made by a team on a downwards spiral. But that's besides the point: the IP itself is not only generic, it's damaged goods.

Microsoft should make a medieval character action game if they'd like -- but there's no reason to chase a failed IP with a failed development schedule that launched a failure of a product.

"Ryse had a lot of potential" is as empty a statement as "Kinect has a lot of potential".

Bubsy 3D also had a lot of potential.

Yeah, Ryse did nothing to establish itself as a brand, it was a very pretty by the numbers action game. People saying Microsoft should buy it don't realise that Microsoft could just as easily make a new IP that focuses on historical battles.

Sounds like what's happened to every other major independent console developer. But at least you can buy their games used. This is what victory looks like!

Darksol

I don't really see the appeal in a Ryse sequel, and I'm not sure if MS does at this point either. I feel bad for the staff -- fucked up company or not, people have got to get paid for the work they do. No surprise so many people are jumping ship or voicing their displeasure. Best of luck to them. As for Crytek itself, I don't really care. Apart from the first Crysis, everything has seemed like a glorified tech demo to me, with nothing that really caught my interest.

Yeah, Ryse did nothing to establish itself as a brand.
It has a unique cinematic combat style, teased some battalion command mechanics, had a full transforming and dynamic co-op Colloseum, and introduced some cool supernatural elements and intrigue into Roman politics that could be further explored.

What other games are like Ryse?

kekke

Banned
Yeah, Ryse did nothing to establish itself as a brand, it was a very pretty by the numbers action game. People saying Microsoft should buy it don't realise that Microsoft could just as easily make a new IP that focuses on historical battles.

Age of empires, hack-n-slash style!!!

Yoda

"Instead of focusing on the core strengths of the company, which would be the [Crytek] engine and innovative PC titles, we simply jumped at every next big thing in the industry," said a Crytek employee. "Except that each time we did, it was a little too late and we were running after our competitors. There's no sense of identity at this point and I think that frustrates both employees and fans."

I had to same feeling when I saw how the Crysis franchise was essentially turned into a run of the mill console shooter instead of a sandbox themed shooter which pushed the limits of PC. They seem to be having an identity crisis @ Crytek.

Bloodwake was amazing. Glad to see I'm not the only one hoping for its return.

Quantum Redshift wasn't half bad either, but Bloodwake was where it was at.

Wow, kinda think burning the ships should be a last resort for this type of situation.

They have contracts to uphold, they will not go out of business. (they have to maintain the support for their engine licensees)

I definitely could see them cutting studios though.

Denton

Ryse as an IP has zero value. Its reception and 60 metacritic made it kinda toxic. Even if MS or Crytek wanted to make a sequel, they would be better served naming it differently.

Amir0x

Banned
Hehe, and nothing of value was lost re: Ryse. Atrocious game.

Shame about what seems to be going on at Crytek though. Good luck to all the talented employees there who may soon need a job.

Man

Schrödinger's cat;118058726 said:

The closure of Free Radical marked the end of my 15 years in the games industry. I've not gone back and don't miss any of this kind of bullshit. That said, I don't regret a single day either. I lived my dreams.

As for hopes of Timesplitters - personally, I'm highly doubtful. Despite the fondness for the IP the games barely broke even for Free Radical. The years have gone by and the stature of the brand against today's games is less than it was. A shame as it was a blast and, god knows, we need some goofiness in the FPS genre.
Forever immortalized:
Shaun-of-the-Dead-Poster.jpg

fritolay

More often than not those first 100 people are the good ones that can easily get a job some place else. Yeah there are some in there dedicated or been there from the start waiting it out types. Maybe some that don't want to move or family types. But the rest are the ones that can't easily move on because well they are not the top talent. So you have a few here are there good and the rest bottom of the barrel left there. :( Now would you buy company that bled probably the top talent already? No. If MS were going to buy them, it should have been previously. That or top management/ownership screwed them all and didn't sell before the talent left.

Borman

Schrödinger's cat;118058726 said:

I feel so bad for the Free Radicals that made a new home at Crytek, this must feel like history repeating.

But, when a slowpoke like Karl Hilton has the sense to get out, that speaks volumes. It's no surprise to me to see that the studio that he 'managed' gets this sort of feedback at Glassdoor.com.

Hopefully Crytek will see this episode through.

Shame what happened to Battlefront 3, but glad I was able to share that footage with everyone.

Leyasu

Banned
I want Ryse 2 ffs!!

I want a sequel that has been properly worked, complete with a full co-op campaign! I'm pretty disappointed

They have contracts to uphold, they will not go out of business. (they have to maintain the support for their engine licensees)

I definitely could see them cutting studios though.

It may not be up to them (or their clients). But it doesn't sound like the situation is that dire yet.

Lorul2

Hey!! At least Blinx had a sequel. "Westernize" it a little bit a Blinx reboot could make a decent X1 title.

Fox Mulder

Missing paychecks is always a great sign.

Crytek is a sad story. I remember them being hyped for their great looking games on PC, only to have largely forgettable console shooters the last bunch of years. Another Homefront is just going to continue that.

abadguy

Banned
Who said Ryse was bad? Who said Sony should pick it up?

Suggested by a couple of other posters besides the one i quoted and quite a few people have said it is bad.

Do you guys honestly want a sequel to Ryse or are you just craving some game that scratches the Spartacus, Gladiator itch regardless of if it was relatively mediocre? It reminds me of when everyone was hoping there was going to be some secret reveal of Heavenly Sword 2. Really?

I also hope that Ninja Theory is working on HS 2 for PS4. Though for different reasons than others who hope for the same thing.

Heavenly Sword Stance change= DmC angel and demon styles.
Heavenly Sword had certain enemies that could only be defeated using a certain stance, DmC had color coded enemies that could only be killed with the corresponding style.

Top Bottom