• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Crytek Not Paying Staff On Time, Ryse Sequel Dropped

SparkTR

When crytek are as big as they are I don't think this gen is why they've gone under. Seems like a lot of other issues and it's just coincidental timing

Eh, it might be. Crytek survived by taking contracts from big publishers for big games, as that market starts to inevitably consolidate around fewer, bigger franchises, studios like Crytek are going to be the ones feeling the pain.

Relly

Banned
Sad to hear about the staff, happy hearing about Ryse 2 never seeing the light of day. Crytek's focus should be anywhere else.

Exactly, why would you do a sequel to something that flopped so badly?

And I mean with reviewers, I don't know if the game sold well.. Frankly don't give a shit, either.

This is a company who amazed everyone 8 years ago (I think) with the benchmark standard that was crysis..

Let's see a whole new ip. Fuck homefront, seriously..

I was so hype when homefront came out that I got it a week early. Probably one of the most disappointing gaming experiences I've ever had. The mp was fun, but that's about it. The story, voice acting, AI, even graphics were all horrible, IMO. I know it's by thq and chaos but I don't think crytek will fix anything.

Homefront 1 was nothing to do with Crytek. Can't be blaming that one on them.

oldergamer

It was the flagship launch title for the One and most of the attention it got was because of the game basically playing itself.

This is the type of game no one will remember in a year.

...and it doesn't play itself, that was total BS that spread across the internet like wild fire. It was just a prompt for finishing moves with some having multi steps for a added bonus. All the bitter tears over a feature that was done by other brawlers was really out of control.

Sydle

And I mean with reviewers, I don't know if the game sold well.. Frankly don't give a shit, either.

This is a company who amazed everyone 8 years ago (I think) with the benchmark standard that was crysis..

Because MS is paying when you're having financial trouble?

Ryse didn't "flop so badly." The fact that Microsoft were arguing with Crytek over Ryse 2 clearly means that Microsoft thinks the IP has merit.

cripterion

Because it's easier to bash the opposite side instead of giving proper arguments.

Lol you guys are deep into your console wars ain't it? Probably should have used Crysis as an example instead of Killzone considering the sensitivity on display here.

driver116

Maybe they should port Ryse to PS4/PC.

This is why taking up exclusivity contracts is risky today, I reckon EA have felt a similar pinch.

unbias

Ryse didn't "flop so badly." The fact that Microsoft were arguing with Crytek over Ryse 2 clearly means that Microsoft thinks the IP has merit.

Unfortunately their micro-transactions probably made them a decent amount of money. I could definitely see them focusing on the multiplayer aspect.

blakep267

So metacritic is the end all be all? Funny because we have threads about meta critic being shit when peoples favorite games don't get high scores

Anyway I'm betting most people who shit on ryse in this thread haven't even played it start to finish. But yea, Spencer is a liar when he said that ryse did well. Yup, everything the head of Xbox says is a lie

The game had flaws but the foundation was there. Tweaking the combat, adding more weapon and enemy variety and the game is fine. I thought AC1 was crap but they built in the foundation and made a better sequel

Teeth

I feel like if you hang your hat on creating the most beautiful graphics out of all games, eventually, the economy will catch up to you.

Inevitable, but sad times.

hawk2025

So metacritic is the end all be all? Funny because we have threads about meta critic being shit when peoples favorite games don't get high scores

Anyway I'm betting most people who shit on ryse in this thread haven't even played it start to finish. Big yea, Spencer is a list when he said that ryse did well. Yup, everything the head of Xbox says is a lie

The game had flaws but the foundation was there. Tweaking the combat, adding more weapon and enemy variety and the game is fine. I thought AC1 was crap but they built in the foundation and made a better sequel

Yeah? How much are you willing to bet? What's next, asking for gamertags as proofs?

You contradict yourself, by the way. You mention how you thought AC1 was crap, but people aren't allowed to feel the same about Ryse?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does this mean the actual sales revenue goes to Microsoft?

Yes.

In a standard publishing contract between a publisher and an independent developer, it works like this:

1.) The developer is paid in development milestones (first prototype, vertical slice, entering production, pre-alpha, alpha, beta, release, etc) where they get X million dollars to make a certain part of the game. The publisher pays 100% of these costs.

2.) When the game releases, the publisher gets 100% of all money the game earns, as almost all independent development is done with no royalties or royalty conditions that are basically impossible to hit.

3.) Sometimes there are bonuses for quality or project completion, but they're generally marginal and can only float a studio for a month's worth of staying open at most.

4.) Hugely prestigious developers like Bungie, Epic, or Respawn get deals where they share revenue and get great bonuses, but those are the extreme exception to the rule. Just assume that unless the publisher explicitly states they're doing a bonus/margin setup, that the developer isn't getting any extra money after the game gets gold.

5.) Due to this, an independent developer has to have another project signed up with a publisher to start immediately when the game they are working on goes gold as otherwise they will have to shut down.

This is why being more than like 10 people in a garage as an independent developer is extremely difficult, and most such studios have shut down or sold themselves to a publisher.

So youre saying funding a full sequel is cheaper than buying the IP outright? Because thats apparently what they were willing to do to get it.

Pretty sure thats not true.

Sorry should have clarified that I meant buying the IP and funding development through Crytek. I can imagine them getting the IP and giving it to one of their own studios.

abadguy

Banned
Lol you guys are deep into your console wars ain't it? Probably should have used Crysis as an example instead of Killzone considering the sensitivity on display here.
Yeah people get pretty antsy when mentioning KZ as a negetive. Not sure why though, its hardly the best franchise in Sony's line up.

Really love all their games I've played, sad to see a dev in so much trouble. I really thought they had a ton of revenue streams to keep them afloat, contracts for video creations and engine stuff.

Really stupid to see people posting that it's because Crysis 3 was bland, or because Ryse "played itself". Crytek was never a huge seller, no reason to project your dislike for a game as the linchpin of their downfall.

Teletraan1

Banned
It's insane how much a free piece of software that houses a publishers gaming catalogue storefront and distribution system can cause so much resentment.

I really dont understand it.

I took the original comment more of a Steam is in more homes than Origin is and is used a hell of a lot more. It is more likely to sell more if more people in that ecosystem could download it without another store front they might not currently use. Then they have a XB1 exclusive game that probably didn't sell very well. They probably got a fat check from MS but who is to say that would have covered the total potential loss they could have made if the XB1 was the market leader or if they made a multiplatform game. Sounds to me like they have limited their potential user bases with the distribution/exclusive deals they made for their previous few games and that probably limited their ROI for those projects. Moneyhats can only cover so much.

unbias

Anyway I'm betting most people who shit on ryse in this thread haven't even played it start to finish. Big yea, Spencer is a list when he said that ryse did well. Yup, everything the head of Xbox says is a lie

Silly argument. Disliking metacritic is one thing, but it has enough sample pieces to give a pretty good idea where the game stands in terms of perception. And yes, the game did well according to MS, but that was during the launch of a system where options are limited. I mean, unless you think perfect dark 0 would have sold as well if it came out 2 years after launch of the 360. Yes, Ryse 2 can be successful, the argument is whether MS should bother spending the money unless they can get it practically for free.

Bold - I'm not sure why you think that is a valid argument as to people who have played the game not liking it... Killer Instinct nor Dead Rising 3 gets the same reaction, so it probably isnt a console war thing and is probably just because a lot of people didnt like Ryse.

soultron

Banned
At this point I wonder if Crytek is going to shut down several studios and consolidate their portfolio to stuff that's strictly proven profit.

I also wonder how this might affect the CE sub model. Maybe lower asking price or additional tech packed in to better compete with UE4 and Unity.

Killer Instinct nor Dead Rising 3 gets the same reaction, so it probably isnt a console war thing and is probably just because a lot of people didnt like Ryse.

How can you genuinely DISLIKE something you have no experience with? I don't dislike Killzone Shadow Fall because I've never played it. I don't dislike Sushi, because I've never eaten it.

Sure, there are things that you don't WANT to experience in order to get a feel for how you feel about it, but for video games? Get the hell out. If you haven't played a game and you tell me it sucks and that you dislike it, I'm highly motivated to think you're an idiot.

I dislike Gears of War: Judgment and Modern Warfare 3 because I played them both and concluded that they did things that I did not enjoy. Most rational people tend to try things out before coming to conclusions.

element

Does this mean the actual sales revenue goes to Microsoft?
It depends on the contract. They vary dramatically in gaming. But a typical contract has a studio getting milestone payments every six weeks from the publisher during development. When the game is complete, there is typically a completion bonus which is just a larger final milestone payment. At that point you transition to payments only based off the performance of the game. Sometimes that can be on day one sales, and sometimes it is after the publisher has recovered all money invested during development and once it crosses over that the developer of the game will get royalties based off all sales after that.

Denton

Oculus should buy Crytek, and make them work on AAA PC VR games and experiences, as well as supporting the engine for licencees.

unbias

How can you genuinely DISLIKE something you have no experience with?

He said from start to finish. I personally finished the entire game, still thought it was crap(but my opinion really doesnt matter) you dont have to play the game from start to finish to realize you think the game is bad.

daninthemix

Yes.

In a standard publishing contract between a publisher and an independent developer, it works like this:

1.) The developer is paid in development milestones (first prototype, vertical slice, entering production, pre-alpha, alpha, beta, release, etc) where they get X million dollars to make a certain part of the game. The publisher pays 100% of these costs.

2.) When the game releases, the publisher gets 100% of all money the game earns, as almost all independent development is done with no royalties or royalty conditions that are basically impossible to hit.

3.) Sometimes there are bonuses for quality or project completion, but they're generally marginal and can only float a studio for a month's worth of staying open at most.

4.) Hugely prestigious developers like Bungie, Epic, or Respawn get deals where they share revenue and get great bonuses, but those are the extreme exception to the rule. Just assume that unless the publisher explicitly states they're doing a bonus/margin setup, that the developer isn't getting any extra money after the game gets gold.

5.) Due to this, an independent developer has to have another project signed up with a publisher to start immediately when the game they are working on goes gold as otherwise they will have to shut down.

This is why being more than like 10 people in a garage as an independent developer is extremely difficult, and most such studios have shut down or sold themselves to a publisher.

Interesting. Crytek probably should've been spending their time on IP that they themselves own, then (why they didn't do a better job with Crysis I'll never know - the first game showed such potential).

RoKKeR

God damn it Crytek. Sell the Ryse IP to Microsoft so you can pay your employees and we all get a sequel to Ryse.

Top Bottom